Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Simpsons is definitely one of my picks for the best TV shows ever made, but just last night I was thinking and realized that I haven't seen about half of the episodes, which is to say, seasons 13 to...whatever they are up to now? 23? No one I know has either, family, friends and so on, all kinda drifted away from watching it regularly at about the same time I did.

What is the second half of the Simpsons like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Simpsons is definitely one of my picks for the best TV shows ever made, but just last night I was thinking and realized that I haven't seen about half of the episodes, which is to say, seasons 13 to...whatever they are up to now? 23? No one I know has either, family, friends and so on, all kinda drifted away from watching it regularly at about the same time I did.

Good question. I stopped watching around the same time. I did randomly see a clip of Krusty winning the Nobel Peace Prize and the Simpsons family was watching. They went through each family member's reaction and they did a Maggie poo poo her diapers joke that made me laugh.

Other than those blips, I just happily assume that it's poo poo and completely topical now.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Ridonkulous posted:

Stupid/Small Questions.

I'm watching Shaun of the Dead and Shaun is running around with a cricket bat.

Is owning a cricket bat similar to owning a baseball bat in the USA (most kids own something like this) or is it more like a lacrosse stick (although popular usually owned by a smaller population)?

In Australia most kids own at least one, or at least they did when I was young. I say "at least one" because bats come in different sizes and kids will often outgrow them. It's probably the most widely used piece of sporting equipment in the country, except maybe for tennis balls.

I don't know much about it in other countries. It would probably be the same in NZ anyway.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm looking for a book that I saw at the bookstore once. It was a very small book, both in length and size, and it was in the Philosophy section, I'm pretty sure. It was titled something like "134 things that will amaze and astound you!" (or some random number) and it was a bunch of sort of zen or philosophical things you could do in your life, like "ride a bus to nowhere," or "watch an anthill," or "play a made up game with a child by their rules."

If anyone could find it, I would be delighted. Thanks.

EDIT: Whelp, found it :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samurai Sanders posted:

The general consensus tends to be that the Simpsons has is going in a different direction than it did ten or so years ago.

It's still funny, but in a different way. Some people love it, some hate it. I personally think it's still good, but prefer the older episodes by a mile.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It all depends on your sense of humour and how much of a die-hard Simpsons fan you are. Ask in the Simpsons quote thread and they'll probably all tell you that it isn't worth watching past Season 12/13, but I like up until 16. 16-19 are a bit blah TBH (and this is coming for a truely die hard fan), but I think it picked up again about half-way through Season 19. The jokes aren't as obvious anymore, and are a lot more cultural based, instead of people doing stupid poo poo and it being funny because it's so far fetched. Rest assured though, Springfield and its people are still as stupid as ever, they just have mobile phones now. For me the brilliance has always been in about how dumb and naive everyone is.

Cookie Kwan fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 8, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Watch The Simpsons Movie. I think it's safe to say whatever your opinion of it is will be your opinion of the current Simpsons eps.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Binowru posted:

Watch The Simpsons Movie. I think it's safe to say whatever your opinion of it is will be your opinion of the current Simpsons eps.
I have. I thought it was a fairly unremarkable Simpsons episode, apart from being an hour and a half long.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Binowru posted:

I always thought of the movie as a good new episode. Funny, but not in way the golden age episodes were. Bad new episodes are just painful to watch sometimes and makes me sad if that's people's first exposure to The Simpsons.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

favoritehello posted:

Here's my stupid question:

I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm going to Hawaii for a 10 day vacation.

Since the flight is long, I'd like to bring my laptop. It's got a 8-10 hour battery so it'd be perfect. Thing is, I don't want it getting ruined. How bad is the humidity and how badly will it affect my laptop?

Just to point his out Honolulu/Hawaii is well known for its stable and warm environment. Example Honolulu all time record high 99, record low 55, and both are well outside the norm. It is not unusual to live/work in houses/places without windows, just screens, because there is no need to condition the air.

It would be the salt air that gets you not the humidity, but even with that I've never had problems with electronics. Cars rust out from salt air, as fast as cars in the Northeast rust from road salt though.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 8, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Coupon Wizard posted:

In Australia most kids own at least one, or at least they did when I was young. I say "at least one" because bats come in different sizes and kids will often outgrow them. It's probably the most widely used piece of sporting equipment in the country, except maybe for tennis balls.

I don't know much about it in other countries. It would probably be the same in NZ anyway.
The same applies across 99% of NZ too. I get the impression it's different in the UK, because their ideas about various sports are all rear end-backward compared to the antipodes. Rugby is a sport for posh wankers, soccer's for the working class, dogs and cats living together....

revolther
May 27, 2008
Some new Simpson's stuff is still funny, but it's not "cry from laughing so hard even when you remember it 20 years later" funny. It's kind of interesting that it was such a cultural icon in my youth, EVERYBODY watched new episodes, and it was this brilliant mockery of the nuclear family phenomenon. Now it's kind of fallen to the wayside, I don't even remember to watch the DVR'd episodes half the time.

The Simpson's aren't what they used to be by any means, but they are still something I hope perseveres another 20 years. Last season did two things of note, one I hated and the other loved, terrible pop song of the week opening and awesome banksy opening.

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
Is the copyright of a newspaper article owned by the journalist or the newspaper who pays the journalist for the article? Thanks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Ridonkulous posted:

Stupid/Small Questions.

I'm watching Shaun of the Dead and Shaun is running around with a cricket bat.

Is owning a cricket bat similar to owning a baseball bat in the USA (most kids own something like this) or is it more like a lacrosse stick (although popular usually owned by a smaller population)?

It's the kind of thing a lot of people have stored away somewhere. I wouldn't say it's on the level of baseball, but it's a fairly popular sport, even if just to play on the beach with your kids or something. I would say that in the event of a zed-word invasion, a lot of people would be like Shaun.

As as aside, I didn't know lacrosse was popular in the US. I associate it with Enid Blyton books about girls' boarding schools in the 40's.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

UrbanFarmer posted:

Is the copyright of a newspaper article owned by the journalist or the newspaper who pays the journalist for the article? Thanks.

Almost certainly the newspaper. Under American law, absent an explicit agreement to the contrary, copyright to works created by employees in the course of their job belongs to the employer. Not certain if other countries use the same principle but I'd be surprised if the result was any different.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

eating only apples posted:

As as aside, I didn't know lacrosse was popular in the US. I associate it with Enid Blyton books about girls' boarding schools in the 40's.

It's very spotty. There's plenty of it hanging around the northeast (like North Carolina and up), and I think there's a patch around the Great Lakes area, but not much else. Most colleges/universities have a team, but I'm pretty sure you could head out west and find people who have never seen it before.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Stupid British slang term question, because I know there are a few of you UK kids hanging out in the thread: On 'Being Human' the other night, one character told another that no one says "fancies" anymore, as in "I think she fancies me." Is that true? I always liked that word and it would be sad if you guys just said "likes me" like us Yanks do now.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pogo the Clown posted:

It's very spotty. There's plenty of it hanging around the northeast (like North Carolina and up), and I think there's a patch around the Great Lakes area, but not much else. Most colleges/universities have a team, but I'm pretty sure you could head out west and find people who have never seen it before.

Yeah, there's a fair amount in Chicagoland but I don't think it is nearly as popular as in the northeast. Some high schools had, and others didn't.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TremendousMajestic posted:

Stupid British slang term question, because I know there are a few of you UK kids hanging out in the thread: On 'Being Human' the other night, one character told another that no one says "fancies" anymore, as in "I think she fancies me." Is that true? I always liked that word and it would be sad if you guys just said "likes me" like us Yanks do now.

fancies is still said it's a good word.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TremendousMajestic posted:

It's kinda... I dunno, childish. It's what you said when you were 14. I feel a bit silly saying it for that reason. I use crush a lot when I'm not being serious, when I am serious I do just say "I like so-and-so." But then you have to clarify, it's not "like" it's "like-like"... "fancies" was such a useful word. :(

Thanks for the lacrosse info guys, it's interesting :)

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Wagonburner posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about most have a way to turn it off. My toshiba calls it "clearview" and you can turn it off.

I think what goes on there is some 120hz /240hz tvs are using some kind of dsp that actually makes up, draws on its own the "between frames" from the slower 29fps dvd signal and inserts them between 2 frames it got from the dvd player. Which combined with the fact that dvds already have some built-in weirdness to the way their frames come out anyway (3:2 pulldown) can make motion look weird.

It bugged me a bit when I first got my lcd and I'd turn it off at times, I don't notice it at all anymore. To me it looked like people didn't move naturally like they were cgi, my brother thought the same as you that it looked fast motion.

A page back, but on LG TV's, this is called TruMotion. You can turn it off in Advanced Settings. Its often referred to as the "Soap Opera effect". It makes it look like it was filmed on the cheap soap opera grade cameras.

I honestly have no idea why TV manufacturers would do this. It looks terrible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeffrey Colon posted:

A page back, but on LG TV's, this is called TruMotion. You can turn it off in Advanced Settings. Its often referred to as the "Soap Opera effect". It makes it look like it was filmed on the cheap soap opera grade cameras.

I honestly have no idea why TV manufacturers would do this. It looks terrible.

Because there's tons of people who weren't brought up to treat jerky film framerates as "good" and higher framerates closer to real life as "bad".

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

eating only apples posted:

It's the kind of thing a lot of people have stored away somewhere. I wouldn't say it's on the level of baseball, but it's a fairly popular sport, even if just to play on the beach with your kids or something. I would say that in the event of a zed-word invasion, a lot of people would be like Shaun.

Just want to say that using the word 'zed-word' is next to incomprehensible. I assume you meant zombies, but since 'zed' is very much a British-ism it gets disconected easily from what you are trying to say.

You could say z-word (which you would read as zed-word, and we would read as zee-word) and both would understand it.

Lacrosse in the US is very much a private school (which in the US means a school for rich people's kids) thing, even in the Northeast. Saying you play lacrosse is basically saying you grew up rich.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

kapalama posted:

Lacrosse in the US is very much a private school (which in the US means a school for rich people's kids) thing, even in the Northeast. Saying you play lacrosse is basically saying you grew up rich.

Or in Canada. Obscure national sport, fuckyeah.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

kapalama posted:

Just want to say that using the word 'zed-word' is next to incomprehensible. I assume you meant zombies, but since 'zed' is very much a British-ism it gets disconected easily from what you are trying to say.

You could say z-word (which you would read as zed-word, and we would read as zee-word) and both would understand it.

The guy was watching Shaun of the Dead, it's a line from that film. :) I do understand that Z is pronounced differently in the US.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jeffrey Colon posted:

What's terrible is that people (including me) somehow deride smoother motion as somehow cheap video. A cheap camera isn't one that can do that kind of framerate well.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

kapalama posted:

I suppose this varies from area to area. I went to a rural-area high school that is definitely not affluent. We were known mostly for our agricultural programs, but we also had a large and active lacrosse team (football was still the biggest). Most other high schools in our area also had teams, and while they tended to be more urban than us, very few of them were "rich".

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Pogo the Clown posted:

I suppose this varies from area to area. I went to a rural-area high school that is definitely not affluent. We were known mostly for our agricultural programs, but we also had a large and active lacrosse team (football was still the biggest). Most other high schools in our area also had teams, and while they tended to be more urban than us, very few of them were "rich".

But still as a sport onthe national level you understand the difference I was asking between baseball and lacrosse. Lacrosse is not a big national game where as Baseball is.

And I had no idea British people pronounced Z differently. Their are plenty of jokes in Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/Spaced I do not get.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

UrbanFarmer posted:

The newspaper, unless the journalist has a specific clause in their contract saying otherwise. If the journalist is a straight-up employee of the paper, the copyright on anything they write in the course of their work is automatically owned by the employer. I'm not 100% sure about how it would work for a freelance journalist though - generally speaking the freelancer owns the copyright by default, but in the case of newspaper articles, there'd be a solid case to make that the paper owns it as the beneficiary owner. Then again, that's why contracts exist - to clear that kind of stuff up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does anyone know where I could find an answer set for Purcell’s Electricity and Magnetism? I can't find the answer set anywhere. The best I found is this saying to check this broken link, and the response asking for help was answered with "Rt. 22." I have no idea what that means. Anyone have an idea?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
In the United States, under which circumstances can I and can't I lie under the protection of free speech? Clearly I can't lie under oath; that's perjury. I assume that it's also equally clear that I can lie in everyday conversation about things like being friends with Barack Obama and being able to bench press 300 pounds. I'm less clear about being able to lie on a job application, or a bank application, or to a police officer who asks me questions in a not-under-oath situation. Are there any clear legal guidelines out there?

I do not intend to lie in any of these situations. I'm just interested.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm less clear about being able to lie on a job application, or a bank application
These could both be fraud depending on what you got out of the lie.

Gravity Pike posted:

or to a police officer who asks me questions in a not-under-oath situation.
Not talking at all is a better idea. Lying can be used against you and it understandably makes you look guilty. It can also be illegal.

Outside of the government you can pretty much lie to anyone you want so long as you don't profit by it. If you got a book deal because you told somebody you were Barack Obama's best friend and they found out you lied you'd be in serious legal trouble both criminal and civil.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 9, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Gravity Pike posted:

In the United States, under which circumstances can I and can't I lie under the protection of free speech? Clearly I can't lie under oath; that's perjury. I assume that it's also equally clear that I can lie in everyday conversation about things like being friends with Barack Obama and being able to bench press 300 pounds. I'm less clear about being able to lie on a job application, or a bank application, or to a police officer who asks me questions in a not-under-oath situation. Are there any clear legal guidelines out there?

I do not intend to lie in any of these situations. I'm just interested.

There's a LOT of gray area when it comes to discussing the topic of lying all encompassingly (RIP Mitch Hedberg). I guess I would sum it up by saying that legally you can not lie in any sort of official capacity (unless it's in the interest of the security/protection of the nation, stuff like that), or in any situation where your lie would knowingly harm someone, be it physically, emotionally or financially. The latter category ends up being a lot civil cases which are legal matters between two individuals, as opposed to criminal cases.

The lines get really blurry when it comes to celebrities and gossip, or putting a heavy spin on something (i.e. if you're a reporter and you stretch the truth in some ways, you could potentially be fired... or face no consequences at all other than John Stewart calling you out on it or something, and you're free to ignore that.)

I heard about a story in Israel a few years ago where a woman pressed charges against a man for rape because when they met he said he was Jewish, and they had consensual sex but then she found out he was Muslim. That's not an American case, but it certainly raises a bunch of questions, doesn't it?

As far as how to talk to a police officer, I would highly recommend you - or anyone who's interested - to watch this video. It teaches you what you should and should not say when questioned by a police officer. This is definitely a situation where you want to know your rights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA (e: yes, the acting is cheesy, but you will thank yourself for sitting through this).

Elijya fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 9, 2011

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Okay, I purchased a cheap boil and bite mouthguard and I was wondering: how are these things suppose to fit? If done correctly, is the mouthguard going to hold on to my upper jaw even if I talk or open my mouth or do I really have to clench my teeth every time?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
If you mold it well enough to your teeth, it should hook to your upper jaw.

e: Years ago when I used one, I think I didn't just bite it but also pressed on the insides out and up with my fingers to make the fit tighter. Worst case scenario you put it back in the water and try again.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What I do is suck it right up and use my tongue to press the bottom. However, after I remove it, it seems to reset to factory mode.

Do I need to do anything else after getting a good imprint?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
I have an upcoming interview for a beginner bank teller position at a small, regional bank. I have plenty of customer service, sales, and cash handling experience, but all from a retail setting.

Any suggestions for the interview? Any good questions for me to ask? At my last job I interviewed and hired staff myself, so I'm familiar with basic dos and don'ts of the interview process. I'm just looking for bank-specific tips and advice.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is there a way in Outlook to simply copy someones email address from the header/contact information?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Pogo the Clown posted:

I have an upcoming interview for a beginner bank teller position at a small, regional bank. I have plenty of customer service, sales, and cash handling experience, but all from a retail setting.

Any suggestions for the interview? Any good questions for me to ask? At my last job I interviewed and hired staff myself, so I'm familiar with basic dos and don'ts of the interview process. I'm just looking for bank-specific tips and advice.

They probably want you to have "10 key proficiency" so you might want to practice that if you don't feel that you are proficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just recently returned from being abroad in New Zealand and while I was there I apparently got a speeding ticket for 12kph over the limit in a rental car. They mailed me the ticket (I live in the US) and say I have 28 days after January 13th to pay the ticket. I've been debating whether or not I want to pay it (it's $80NZ so around $60USD) and am curious as to what could potentially happen to me. I do plan on returning to NZ in the future, but not for at least a few years. Any help is appreciated.