Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

arioch posted:

Games should have no impact upon "canon". There, I said it. gently caress TFU.

Star Wars canon is pretty unique. Fiction canon is based on source material from the author, and its purpose is for all of the fans to agree that what we have in common is what is 'real'.

We all don't read every book in the Expanded Universe. We all don't play the same video games. We all don't keep up with George's statements. They actually pay someone to keep track of that and assign levels.

MHO? The fans really decide. I would vote for only the movies as originally released is canon. Everything else is just fodder because the movies are something every Star Wars fan has seen, guaranteed.

Also TFU is fun, but the light side ending is confusing in context to the movies. If the Emps and Vader know that Organa was a traitor, then they would have just killed Leia outright instead of boarding the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Did the tattoos you got in TIE Fighter have any mystical powers? Aside from glowing neon purple I mean.

Pretty sure it was just a tattoo.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Catching up on this thread - Arioch must be a real hit at parties.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TheBigBad posted:

Star Wars canon is pretty unique. Fiction canon is based on source material from the author, and its purpose is for all of the fans to agree that what we have in common is what is 'real'.

We all don't read every book in the Expanded Universe. We all don't play the same video games. We all don't keep up with George's statements. They actually pay someone to keep track of that and assign levels.

MHO? The fans really decide. I would vote for only the movies as originally released is canon. Everything else is just fodder because the movies are something every Star Wars fan has seen, guaranteed.

Also TFU is fun, but the light side ending is confusing in context to the movies. If the Emps and Vader know that Organa was a traitor, then they would have just killed Leia outright instead of boarding the ship.

This is why I'm a fan of personal canon. Mine includes the OT, several episodes of The Clone Wars (and Clone Wars), parts of the novelizations of the PT, and various bits and pieces of EU.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TheLoquid posted:

Was there ever any justification for technological advances in a fantasy sci-fi universe? It would be like Lord of the Rings updating its technology.

Arguably, most jRPGs like Final Fantasy are based on this idea.

RearAdmiral
Feb 8, 2011

!DOUBLE PSYCHIC REACHAROUND!
I remember a time when I loved Star Wars just for the films, before I had any idea about the Extended Universe.

I don't know if discovering Extended Universe is a blessing or a curse yet.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
My personal canon does not include a vast majority of the prequel trilogy (and none of Phantom Menace), but it does include the entirety of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Locutus Of Bored posted:

My personal canon does not include a vast majority of the prequel trilogy (and none of Phantom Menace), but it does include the entirety of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

When I was a kid, the things that happened before seemed so big and I thought that it was all thought out somewhere. I guessed that the prequels would be bad, just because it had been so long and there was no way they'd be done right. Thats why we have better movies, like The Fifth Element.
Personal canon would end right where the movies stopped being just right: the end of the Jabba scenes (Boba Fett IS dead, mother bitches). Luke still was talking and acting weird for that whole movie though. Jedi can no longer act normal? When did that happen? They acted normal enough in the first two movies. Anyway Ewoks didn't ruin anything, just the way they set about doing the second half storywise.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I'll give the cartoon from the Holiday Special canon.

I also like to think of the prequel trilogy as the way the story was told as if a guy heard it from a friend, who heard it from his cousin, who's mom once drove the Solo twins home from space soccer practice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

KaosFactor posted:

I'll give the cartoon from the Holiday Special canon.

I think officially it is. The Holiday Special is "S-Canon" which means while largely non-canon, aspects of it can be considered canon. I know Life Day as a concept is in the canon, and I believe that cartoon is too.

Ninja_Orca posted:

I wish that KOTOR II affected canon more.

It was 4000 years ago, it'd be kinda silly if it did. Given the entire reason Bioware went back that far to begin with was so they could do whatever they wanted because anything that happened would be irrelevant by the time of the movies so they could do whatever. (I know Obsidian did 2, but they built off KOTOR 1)

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 8, 2011

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I just can't imagine that the Empire is all that concerned with employee perks. And God, I hope not daycares. I don't want to turn Luke into Timothy McVeigh.

They don't even put guard rails around the bottomless pits. Officially-sanctioned fanfiction or not, there's no way I'm believing there were any perks at all for the Death Star staff. They probably ate all their meals in the mess halls and bought anything they needed at the PX.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My personal canon is centered around Kevin J. Anderson.

Darksaber is clearly the most vital element. :colbert:

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Mister Roboto posted:

"There are no gays in Star Wars."

- BioWare's Sean Dahlberg, now quite notorious for not realizing how fast and widespread his bigotry would be.
That crap was what put me over the edge from appreciating Bioware's contributions to a franchise I love to totally ignoring them for almost two years. It's a crummy experience to spend your childhood loving something and then have some jacked up asshat decree that a person like you logically can't exist within that universe.

On a less :smith: topic, I have a healthy appreciation for the concept of personal canon. I can't read all the books, watch all the cartoons, and play all the games. And a lot of the time, I don't WANT to. For me, accepting entire categories of canon is impossible, because it would mean choosing between shunning the RotS novel, and accepting Karen Traviss.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Splintered Penis posted:

That crap was what put me over the edge from appreciating Bioware's contributions to a franchise I love to totally ignoring them for almost two years. It's a crummy experience to spend your childhood loving something and then have some jacked up asshat decree that a person like you logically can't exist within that universe.

Yeah, I agree. Some sci-fi writers and fans can't come to grips that some of us nerds are gay, and they handle it in the worst ways. We can joke about nerds and escapism, but when I was a kid, I really needed Star Wars sometimes. When I finally came out to my parents, we watched ANH afterward to celebrate. Don't take that away from me because you're too socially inept to meet a gay person.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Yeah, I agree. Some sci-fi writers and fans can't come to grips that some of us nerds are gay, and they handle it in the worst ways. We can joke about nerds and escapism, but when I was a kid, I really needed Star Wars sometimes. When I finally came out to my parents, we watched ANH afterward to celebrate. Don't take that away from me because you're too socially inept to meet a gay person.
At the risk of derailment: Much agreed. If it had been any other game, I would have brushed it off as some jackass moderator running his mouth, but connecting it to Star Wars made my inner child cry because it was the denial of one of the few places to which he could escape and feel heroic and strong and entirely himself.

I would love to see queer characters in Star Wars. And no, creepy furry lesbians and vague allusions to Mandalorians settling down together will not satisfy me. :colbert:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Sean was just a community manager for a game that hasn't been released yet. It has nothing to do with Star Wars and everything to do with lovely community management. He had no creative responsibilities, apologized almost 20months ago, and left Bioware over a year ago.

If it really bugs you, Watto was obviously gay. He never settled down, he was channeling Nathan Lane's Albert Goldman from The Bird Cage the whole trilogy. For that matter, lesbians can have Shmi Skywalker. There was no father, just her and a turkey baster and her ex lover who left her.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm gay myself and the comment irked me at that person, not Bioware or Lucasarts. Like TheBigBad said he was basically a moderator on a forum he had no real power in how the games run, you shouldn't judge Bioware on that alone. As a company they've tried, at least on and off, to add gay romances. It's sometimes really hokey but the straight romances are too.

For Lucasarts we have um...Karen Travis? I don't know where I wanted to go with this now that I'm here.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm gay myself and the comment irked me at that person, not Bioware or Lucasarts.
I don't think anyone blames either entity for that, though I could have come off that way seeing as I'm posting at four in the morning.

RagnarokAngel posted:

For Lucasarts we have um...Karen Travis? I don't know where I wanted to go with this now that I'm here.
You never want to go anywhere with Karen Travis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Splintered Penis posted:

I don't think anyone blames either entity for that, though I could have come off that way seeing as I'm posting at four in the morning.

It's just you said you ignored Bioware for 2 years, that came off to me as writing off the entire company over the words of one guy with no real standing. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TheBigBad posted:

Sean was just a community manager for a game that hasn't been released yet. It has nothing to do with Star Wars and everything to do with lovely community management. He had no creative responsibilities, apologized almost 20months ago, and left Bioware over a year ago.

Everyone knew the "apology" was just the PR department scrambling to save face. Some workers there have said that his leaving was inevitable after that public meltdown. Rumor has it he knew he wouldn't be moving up in the company anymore after publicly telling the world he was an rear end in a top hat.

Frankly, I'd rather we got TFUIII anyways.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's just you said you ignored Bioware for 2 years, that came off to me as writing off the entire company over the words of one guy with no real standing. Sorry if that's not what you meant.
Not as such; I had felt sort of burnt out on them for a while and the handling of all that aggravated me, and the burnout and aggravation resulted in me just never really checking back for a while once I'd stopped being annoyed.

How the Hell do we feel about the Knight Errant comic, thread?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Frankly, I'd rather we got TFUIII anyways.

Well that's Lucasarts fault. I think they're doing a book on it though. I'm sure it'll be just lovely.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
As a bisexual sci-fi fan, I like to pretend that in the future things like sexuality doesn't matter and the reason why homosexuality is never mentioned is that it's not a big deal. I mean, if people are largely okay with inter-species relationships, same-sex relationships shouldn't be a problem, right?

I know that doesn't explain the lack of non-straight relationships in the works, but it makes me feel more comfortable with the Star Trek and Star Wars universes. :unsmith:

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

As a bisexual sci-fi fan, I like to pretend that in the future things like sexuality doesn't matter and the reason why homosexuality is never mentioned is that it's not a big deal. I mean, if people are largely okay with inter-species relationships, same-sex relationships shouldn't be a problem, right?

I know that doesn't explain the lack of non-straight relationships in the works, but it makes me feel more comfortable with the Star Trek and Star Wars universes. :unsmith:
This is basically my take on it as well. :unsmith::hf::unsmith: As far as I'm concerned, all that keeps it from being mentioned prominently in the media itself is the time in which the media is created.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gene Roddenberry pushed for this HEAVILY in Star Trek and was held back by Meddling Executives who didn't think the public could handle gays in space. For example, he flat out said Spock and Kirk were gay for each other, which *IS* the original fan slash pairing on the internet.

On-screen, though, he wasn't as successful pushing that idea. So far, there's lots of female bisexuals and lesbians, but the execs are still afraid of male-male couplings. DS9's Garak is the closest thing, as he WAS played as bisexual at the start but was told to tone it down.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So I was reading Red Harvest (in the bookstore, smartasses, of course I won't shell out 30 bucks for like 200 small-sized pages of Space Dick and Jane with Zombies) and it literally has a character use Liam Neeson's whole "special set of skills" line from Taken, pretty much word for word. This is what Star Wars Authors (TM), working on a three month deadline or whatever, consider a bold tribute.

There really isn't an :ironicat: big enough.

I know that doesn't explain the lack of non-straight relationships in the works

B-but... Janson and Hobbie, amirite guys?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's best that it's not addressed and assumed. None of the Star Wars writers really know how to write about a realistic straight relationship, what makes you think they'll know how to write a realistic homosexual one? There are some exceptions but most of them have been pretty bad.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

So I was reading Red Harvest (in the bookstore, smartasses, of course I won't shell out 30 bucks for like 200 small-sized pages of Space Dick and Jane with Zombies) and it literally has a character use Liam Neeson's whole "special set of skills" line from Taken, pretty much word for word. This is what Star Wars Authors (TM), working on a three month deadline or whatever, consider a bold tribute.
You cannot be serious. A cursory glance at the book's Amazon page indicates it's impossible for that character to be Qui-Gon, so it's not even a wink wink nudge nudge allusion to the actor. It's just... gratuitous.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think it's best that it's not addressed and assumed. None of the Star Wars writers really know how to write about a realistic straight relationship, what makes you think they'll know how to write a realistic homosexual one? There are some exceptions but most of them have been pretty bad.
Yeah, but if we're ruining one kind of adult human relationship we might as well ruin them all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Splintered Penis posted:

You cannot be serious. A cursory glance at the book's Amazon page indicates it's impossible for that character to be Qui-Gon, so it's not even a wink wink nudge nudge allusion to the actor. It's just... gratuitous.

Maybe they hoped no one noticed.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
In Sci Fi generally there's all sorts of situations going on in regards to sexuality: Everybodys gay, everybody's bi, nobody is anything and it's all artificial insemination, etc. If one is a fairly dull, man, woman and 2 kids universe then v:shobon:v there are other places to go for a better portrayal and discussion.

I don't go to Star Wars for sexual politics, is what I guess I'm saying. No time for that when there are bounty hunters to kill.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Maybe they hoped no one noticed.
Obviously the editors didn't notice it, I guess. ...Unless they did. :doh:

RedTeam posted:

I don't go to Star Wars for sexual politics, is what I guess I'm saying. No time for that when there are bounty hunters to kill.
Is it fair game, then, to point out how odd it is that there appear to be a total of two black humans in the entirety of the universe, or would that be bringing racial politics into things unnecessarily?

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Hmmmm, it's fair point I guess. On the one hand I didn't sit through Kotor thinking where all the black people were and then all of a sudden whoah Jolee Bindo. There was just this neat new character. On the other I'm a straight, middle class white guy who isn't as affected by negative/a lack of representation.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

RedTeam posted:

Hmmmm, it's fair point I guess. On the one hand I didn't sit through Kotor thinking where all the black people were and then all of a sudden whoah Jolee Bindo. There was just this neat new character. On the other I'm a straight, middle class white guy who isn't as affected by negative/a lack of representation.
Thanks. I'm glad I didn't come off sounding like a confrontational prick.

You're right on the money, though, with the kind of person you are affecting how you view media and a discussion like this. Many people can look at a discussion like this and ask, "Why does this matter? It's a non-issue," but this is often because it's a non-issue to them - they have nothing to gain from it. People from a marginalized group might see it differently, though, because they have a stake in it and feel its negative effects. Additionally, not everyone is as aware of this as you are. Or aware of it at all.

...Ugh, it's too serious in here.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nerds. ^^^

(Also, if you think space-blackpeople representation is bad, think about space-asians. We got that one pilot dude, and then Neimoidians.)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I had to look it up, for anyone curious -

"'Listen to me,' Trace told him. 'I don't know who you are, but I am in possession of a very special set of skills. If you bring my sister back right now, unharmed, then I'll let you go. But if you don't, I promise you, I will track you down. I will find you. And I will make you pay.'"

Compared to

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

arioch posted:

Nerds. ^^^

Little bit :ohdear:

Something different: Watched the animated clone wars film last night and I was curious who did the voice acting for Ziro the Hutt. So a spot of wookiepedia later and I find out that Sy Snootles (Horrible CGI singer from Jabbas Palace), was romantically involved with Ziro and eventually killed him.

What the hell? Is the whole Clone Wars series full of stuff like this? Cameos from stupid niche characters I mean.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

arioch posted:

Nerds. ^^^
Guilty as charged, and Nemoidians are a constant source of awkwardness.

That DICK! posted:

I had to look it up, for anyone curious -

"'Listen to me,' Trace told him. 'I don't know who you are, but I am in possession of a very special set of skills. If you bring my sister back right now, unharmed, then I'll let you go. But if you don't, I promise you, I will track you down. I will find you. And I will make you pay.'"

Compared to

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
On the one hand, thanks for saving me the agony. On the other, that's somehow worse than I expected it to be.

RedTeam posted:

What the hell? Is the whole Clone Wars series full of stuff like this? Cameos from stupid niche characters I mean.
All of the EU is like that, really. In space, everyone knows each other. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one day revealed that Boba Fett and one of the Bith in the cantina band went to the same high school.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Star Wars: Gays no, Furries yes.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Splintered Penis posted:

All of the EU is like that, really. In space, everyone knows each other. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one day revealed that Boba Fett and one of the Bith in the cantina band went to the same high school.

I ask about the series specifically because I was pretty close to buying it the other day. Going by the film I'm glad I didn't.

NeonTurtle posted:

Star Wars: Gays no, Furries yes.
Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread Episode IV: Gays no, Furries yes :catstare: (Or... no.)

I know that the rest of the Hutts apparantly look down on jabba for having that wierd human fetish of his, and there are a few examples I can vaguely remember of aliens thinking humans are ugly/scum/whatever. On the flip side you've got that whole bothan thing that was posted a while back where people (in-universe) were fine with that.

This could be a strange tangent to go down.

RedTeam fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm reading through the A.C. Crispin Han Solo books again (I like these, it's just Han and Chewie kicking rear end. Also, Bria's a bitch.) Funnily enough, the first time I read these was in middle school, and I knew nothing of girls/romance/whatever. Now I understand why Han's so pissed about stuff :black101:

Also, some of the Hutts are actually...kind of likeable. From the retard Kibbick, who think humans gestate from larvae/eggs to Jabba-gems like

quote:

"Look, Nephew!" Jiliac's voice was warm, indulgent. "My little one knows mama, yes, doesn't he, precious?"

Jabba rolled his eyes until they nearly emerged from their sockets and splatted onto the floor. Witness the demise of one of the greatest criminal minds of this millennium, he thought, bleakly.