Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevilOnYourShoulder
May 17, 2007
Tour guide on the road to damnation

Zwille posted:

Are there any other movies like The Big Lebowski that follow the rules of a certain genre to a T but other than that are completely different in mood and tone?

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is essentially "Chinatown".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

I know it directly spoofs Chinatown, but isn't it based off an unmade third J.J. Gittes story?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

Strangelove, The Shining, and FMJ also made bank.
Yeah, Kubrick was actually pretty consistently commercially successful (with a few notable exceptions---e.g. Eyes Wide Shut (1999) and Barry Lyndon (1975)). I just didn't want to have to get into parsing exactly what a `box office hit' is and figured being one of the top ten earners for the year was an easy measure.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Basically there's no way he could've done what he did if he wasn't able to bring Scrooge McDuck amounts of money to the backers.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

SubG posted:

Yeah, Kubrick was actually pretty consistently commercially successful (with a few notable exceptions---e.g. Eyes Wide Shut (1999) and Barry Lyndon (1975)). I just didn't want to have to get into parsing exactly what a `box office hit' is and figured being one of the top ten earners for the year was an easy measure.

Eyes Wide Shut was a commercial success. The only film he made that did disastrously at the box office was Paths of Glory and that was mostly because some countries in Europe refused to show it due to its subject matter.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rake Arms posted:

I know it directly spoofs Chinatown, but isn't it based off an unmade third J.J. Gittes story?

It's based on a book called Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

His praise was something along the lines of Gump being a brilliant black comedy satirizing the American dream.

Tarantino tells the story of him saying this to Robert Zemeckis who replied "Finally someone got it!".

And yes, 'Spartan' is great. Val Kilmer is totally badass in that flick.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

:aaa:

I can see similarities between the two stories, and I really want to believe you...

Thinking about remakes and reboots and homages and the like, have we seen the last live action Star Wars movie, or is George Lucas going to give us the un-asked for Origin to The Emperor?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering how long it takes for him to do anything I think we're fine as he's busy with the 3D conversions and the TV show(s.)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

I know the movie is loosely based on the book, but I read the whole plot about the freeway and the trolley cars was specifically adapted from from an unproduced Chinatown sequel. Also, the scene where Eddie shows Roger the pictures of Jessica "cheating" is a direct spoof of Chinatown.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Zwille posted:

Are there any other movies like The Big Lebowski that follow the rules of a certain genre to a T but other than that are completely different in mood and tone?
A superficial description of Chungking Express would make it difficult to differentiate from the plot of a rom-com, but the feel is completely different.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

regulargonzalez posted:

A superficial description of Chungking Express would make it difficult to differentiate from the plot of a rom-com, but the feel is completely different.

A similar thing can be said about at least the beginning of Nacho Vigalondo's fantastic short 7:35 In the Morning (7:35 de la mañana), which everyone should watch here if you haven't seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivlrMdgwnfk

Riptor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 9, 2011

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, here's a question, since it's been bothering me and it's been so long since I saw the movie:

What was the turning point in the movie "Weekend at Bernie's?" Like, in the terms of the break from act 1 into act 2.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

Okay, here's a question, since it's been bothering me and it's been so long since I saw the movie:

What was the turning point in the movie "Weekend at Bernie's?" Like, in the terms of the break from act 1 into act 2.

Haven't seen it in years, but it's probably when they find him and decide to stay at his house anyways.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is Sidney Lumet done with film-making?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DannoMack posted:

Don't think so. We received a submission written by him to direct just a month or two ago.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I really hope not. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead is one of my favorite movies ever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I just saw Robocop 3 and I was wondering - the bad guy hitman is a mute, never has a line in the movie.

What is the SAG policy on people with major roles in films who still never speak (for instance, playing the lead in The Miracle Worker)? I know that "one line = SAG card", but what if they don't have a line, but are clearly above-the-line talent?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So I just saw Robocop 3 and I was wondering - the bad guy hitman is a mute, never has a line in the movie.

What is the SAG policy on people with major roles in films who still never speak (for instance, playing the lead in The Miracle Worker)? I know that "one line = SAG card", but what if they don't have a line, but are clearly above-the-line talent?

I don't know about SAG, but in Canada I'm pretty sure ACTRA has a clause for non-speaking roles based on screentime that adjusts wage.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am sure that the massive SAG basic agreement deals with this. To my knowledge, anyone who appears onscreen and is credited (including eg stuntmen) receive SAG residuals, pension health and welfare, etc.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

DannoMack posted:

He's mucked up with some documentary that Clint Eastwood is doing last I heard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's sort of hard to believe that the same person who made a dumbbell like The Morning After could have also made Long Day's Journey Into Night. It's weird, too, because reading his Making Movies both made me respect him a lot more and a little less. He's a terrific craftsman but far too often he's not much more than that. I find it hard to put a finger on what bugs me about his work. It's not that he's prolific, I don't hold it to him for wanting to get a lot done, and certainly every filmmaker who's turned out a wealth of movies has stumbled a lot. Maybe it's my addiction to pomp and theatricality. I like a film to go pow! right off the screen at you, visually. I adore Peter Greenaway because even though he's an rear end in a top hat to the viewer nearly every frame he and Sacha Vierny produced was deliciously frameable. And I get his attention to drama -Lumet's, not Greenaway's- and the psychological aspects, and all that stuff about how great he is with actors is really obvious on the screen. He's produced some of the finest performances on celluloid, and I can see that much, but for some reason I have to force myself to watch, keep telling myself that it's all really brilliant because I don't naturally perceive it if it's not done in screaming colors. So I guess it's a fault of my own that I can't fully recognize the genius in Sidney Lumet most of the time.

And that's what drives me to drink.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess this is the place for this:

Does anyone else really hate David Lynch and think his movies are complete pretentious poo poo? I've heard that Twin Peaks is really good and still plan to watch it, but Mullholland Drive pretty much put me off David Lynch forever. I'm not too stupid to "get" him, i just think he sucks. Am I alone? And also, people who are fans of him, can you tell me what you like about him? This post may come off as a little confrontational, but I really just don't get it and need either confirmation or enlightenment.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Mulholland Drive is a masterpiece to me not just because of its marvelous dreamy atmosphere but because it's such a fun puzzle. You see the first two thirds, which are her dream, and it sort of makes sense but not really, and then you see her real life, which is like an answer key, and then you can put the pieces together. I think it's important that you're able to get into the "mood", or the rest of the film won't work because it would just be too "what the hell is this", and if you can't get the mood then you can't get David Lynch. Some people can't get the mood, and boy, some people get really upset about it. Try another one of his films; Blue Velvet is usually regarded as a good starting place, and Twin Peaks might give you a boost.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Just watching 'The Happening'...

Is Mark Wahlberg just that bad an actor?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

kapalama posted:

Sometimes, good actors just put in lovely performances in lovely movies. See also George Clooney in "Batman & Robin." I'd recommend Boogie Nights or The Departed if you wanna see Mark Wahlberg act well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kapalama posted:

No, but holy poo poo, I know, right? It's like Shyamalan had them talking to tennis balls, thereby removing any chance of actual actor interaction. Zooey Deschanel spends the movie looking like a blow-up doll.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Same thing happened in the prequels with Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, but holy poo poo, I know, right? It's like Shyamalan had them talking to tennis balls, thereby removing any chance of actual actor interaction. Zooey Deschanel spends the movie looking like a blow-up doll.

I keep expecting him to break into that impression that Andy Samberg does imitating him: "Hey, goat, how you doing? Say hi to your mother for me."

EDIT: Wow, just after I typed that, the scene with him talking to the plant came on!

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 13, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

bobkatt013 posted:

Same thing happened in the prequels with Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson

At least the cast of The Happening had actual sets.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

The acting in The Happening is terrible, but it's not one of those movies that you can chalk entirely up bad delivery or directing. If you actually listen to the dialogue, you'll see it doesn't even make sense on paper. It's seriously like Tommy Wiseau tried to imitate Hitchcock. I mean, look at lines like, "You should be more interested in science, Jake. You know why? Because your face is perfect." How the gently caress was Mark Wahlberg supposed to deliver that?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Rake Arms posted:

The acting in The Happening is terrible, but it's not one of those movies that you can chalk entirely up bad delivery or directing. If you actually listen to the dialogue, you'll see it doesn't even make sense on paper. It's seriously like Tommy Wiseau tried to imitate Hitchcock. I mean, look at lines like, "You should be more interested in science, Jake. You know why? Because your face is perfect." How the gently caress was Mark Wahlberg supposed to deliver that?

Just barely under his breath with a hint of lust so we could at least imply that as a potential pedophile his character has something more to him that what we're just outright told.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kapalama posted:

I have no idea why Wahlberg in particular takes such poo poo for this movie when nothing emerges from it unscathed. It is probably the worst major studio film in years and years.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Ever since I heard this I've wondered: was it actually his favorite film or was it just some OCD reason he picked it? Is it actually a good movie?

While he was living in Nevada, Hughes was pretty well insane, so I don't know if there's a specific reason behind him picking that movie. Hughes rarely slept (he was addicted to painkillers and uppers), so the Las Vegas TV station he owned ran a block of old movies at bizarre hours of the night so Hughes would have something to watch when he couldn't sleep.

Howard Hughes also came incredibly close to buying ABC, but backed out at the last minute because he hated black people.

Hughes had decided to buy ABC and was very near closing the deal, but he happened to see an episode of The Dating Game that featured a white woman and a black man, which offended Hughes to the point where he called the entire $200 million deal off immediately.

Ironically, the "white woman" on the show was actually a light skinned black.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

azflyboy posted:

While he was living in Nevada, Hughes was pretty well insane, so I don't know if there's a specific reason behind him picking that movie. Hughes rarely slept (he was addicted to painkillers and uppers), so the Las Vegas TV station he owned ran a block of old movies at bizarre hours of the night so Hughes would have something to watch when he couldn't sleep.

Howard Hughes also came incredibly close to buying ABC, but backed out at the last minute because he hated black people.

Hughes had decided to buy ABC and was very near closing the deal, but he happened to see an episode of The Dating Game that featured a white woman and a black man, which offended Hughes to the point where he called the entire $200 million deal off immediately.

Ironically, the "white woman" on the show was actually a light skinned black.
He also was partly responsible for the Watergate break in.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

Just barely under his breath with a hint of lust so we could at least imply that as a potential pedophile his character has something more to him that what we're just outright told.

"Old black water, keep on rollin', Mississippi moon won't you keep on shinin' on MEEE. See? We're totally normal!"

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.
The "Cinema Paradiso" DVD that I rented includes both the 123-minute international cut and the 173-minute "New Version" director's cut. Is there a consensus on which version is better (for a first-time viewing, at least)?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have no idea why Wahlberg in particular takes such poo poo for this movie when nothing emerges from it unscathed. It is probably the worst major studio film in years and years.

Because John Leguziamo has been terrible in some really terrible roles (and good in others for sure), and Zooey Daschanel seems to have gotten famous for being some casting director's crush (I love her eyes, let's cast her!)

Yes the dialogue in that movie, the plot logic, and the emotional interaction was about as disconnected as it is in a David Lynch movie (Wahlberg's 'Black Water' rendition brought immediately to mind Kyle MacLachlan's chicken walk in Blue Velvet for pure cringeworthiness and lack of connection) , but if Lynch can do it then M. Night Shyamalan can to....

Part of the reason Wahlberg comes off so badly is because, just like Kevin Pollak did with William Shatner, Andy Samberg's Mark Wahlberg impression has pretty much defined the idiot/limited side of Wahlberg's acting approach. Because of that, Wahlberg's lack of range is really highlighted because you recognize the consistent idiot tone behind his performance. So, when, for whatever reason, the screenwriter/director chooses to present deadpan, stupid, illogical, unnatural dialogue, all you end up with is is the lead doing Andy Samberg's version of himself because he does not have the range to do anything else with it. The crazy woman in the house had the same illogical dialogue and she brought some menace to it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
For those who haven't seen The Happening, this clip is basically a condensation of Wahlberg's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Snak posted:

I guess this is the place for this:

Does anyone else really hate David Lynch and think his movies are complete pretentious poo poo? I've heard that Twin Peaks is really good and still plan to watch it, but Mullholland Drive pretty much put me off David Lynch forever. I'm not too stupid to "get" him, i just think he sucks. Am I alone? And also, people who are fans of him, can you tell me what you like about him? This post may come off as a little confrontational, but I really just don't get it and need either confirmation or enlightenment.
After playing Alan Wake this summer, Twin Peaks was recommended to me, and I watched the first season and a half and I loved it. I watched Mulholland Drive after that, but I thought it was far too absurd. So I think I'm in the same boat as you, and recommend you check out Twin Peaks.