Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...
I just bought Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The only other games I played in the series were Persona 3 and 4. Anything I should know?

also, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For San Andreas once you unlock gang wars don't bother with them. I don't want to say why but trust me it's not worth your effort to do them now, you'll know when it's time.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

RagnarokAngel posted:

For San Andreas once you unlock gang wars don't bother with them. I don't want to say why but trust me it's not worth your effort to do them now, you'll know when it's time.

And once you do them, there's a really tiny piece of turf near the motel that's involved in a couple missions. Try to get it while enemy gangs spawn around it because it's not quite big enough to actually trigger if you hold every other territory.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

BreakTargets posted:

I just bought Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The only other games I played in the series were Persona 3 and 4. Anything I should know?

also, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Unlike Persona games, wind Skills are called Force skills and the spells are "Zan" as opposed to "Garu".

Also, you can't get infinite turns by exploiting weaknesses or make enemies fall don by doing so. The most you can hope for is to double your actions by exploiting a weakness every turn.

Also, attacking an enemy with an element they're resistant to? it'll make you lose an action. Avoid at all costs.

if you level the demon Brute Momunofu to level 24, I think, it evolves into Vile Arahabaki. That's a demon that's immune to physical attacks. Very handy to have.

In this one, you get demons by talking to them. The phase of the moon is very important. New moon is usually your best bet to recruit demons.

Also, Chakra step. If you get a demon with that, your SP becomes essentially no longer an issue.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Captain Novolin posted:

And once you do them, there's a really tiny piece of turf near the motel that's involved in a couple missions. Try to get it while enemy gangs spawn around it because it's not quite big enough to actually trigger if you hold every other territory.

IIRC, you can get around some of the stupidly small boundaries by grabbing a sniper rifle or other long range weapon and shooting at things in other turfs - as long as you're physically in an enemy turf, it'll treat anything you do as being in that turf, so it should work fine for attracting attention from gang members/triggering a war with them. Just need to be careful not to leave the area yourself.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BreakTargets posted:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

It's a gently caress-around game. Missions are cool, but IMHO the most fun is found in just grabbing a fast car or motorcycle, cranking up the music and driving around like a maniac. (Hint: :420:.)

There are a bunch of RPG-ish stats, like driving and gun skill. You can grind them if you want, but you don't have to. Staying in shape is a good idea, tho; sprint a lot, work out at the gym, and eat a meal every so often.

There's almost always more than one way to complete a mission. Be creative. For example, on the 'picking up Mary Jane' mission, I discovered you can jump your bike onto the train!

Don't worry about money, turf, or respect. And, unless you're OCD about that sort of thing, don't go for 100%, it's a lot of work.

The flying missions will make you ragequit.

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

Gynovore posted:

The flying missions will make you ragequit.
This. Some of the racing ones are pretty bad too.

If you're on a PC, consider getting a controller. I found it pretty hard to have fine control over a vehicle with a keyboard and mouse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

If you're on a PC, consider getting a controller. I found it pretty hard to have fine control over a vehicle with a keyboard and mouse.

As someone who got 100% on a laptop with a mousepad, do this. If I wasn't so bored at the time I would've uninstalled the game and moved on.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

BreakTargets posted:

The main character can never relearn skills that he's forgotten.

Each skill requires a minimum level before you can learn it, which the game doesn't tell you. When a magatama is glowing and shaking, it's ready to give up the skill.

21stCentury posted:

Also, attacking an enemy with an element they're resistant to? it'll make you lose an action. Avoid at all costs.
Conversely, if an enemy's attack whiffs against anyone on your side, they lose turns. Use this whenever you can.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

Also worth noting, before you get the airport, don't spend money on properties. I made this mistake and didnt have the money and was out of missions to get money on, and it's pretty expensive. Without the airport you can't proceed the plot, so I had to cheat to get money.

And initially the flight controls will seem worse than they are. Your flight skill goes up a huge amount when you complete the flying classes. Why Rockstar felt making you drive with awful controls to make you learn how to drive with decent controls eludes me but just keep at it, once you get your pilot license the pilot controls tighten immensely.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GTA: San Andreas

RagnarokAngel posted:

And initially the flight controls will seem worse than they are. Your flight skill goes up a huge amount when you complete the flying classes. Why Rockstar felt making you drive with awful controls to make you learn how to drive with decent controls eludes me but just keep at it, once you get your pilot license the pilot controls tighten immensely.

Yes, it helps a lot if you do some flying before you buy the airport. You are not allowed entry to the airports without a pilot license, but you can hop the fence near the entrance to gain access to an airplane that way. The easiest way to hop the fence is to hijack one of these trucks designed to transport cars/bikes around, since you can use them as makeshift ramp. One caveat: you can't fly over areas that you've yet to gain access too in the story (you'll be shot down by AA missiles), so it's best to wait until you've left the first city before you grind your flight skill.

Also, if you are playing the PC version: turning the frame limiter off in graphic options will make diving and proper swimming impossible. Some people also say it makes the driving school challenges harder (I can't confirm if this is actually the case or if it's a placebo effect).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I picked up Red Orchestra: Osfront 41-45 on a whim and I'm enjoying it so far but there's still a steep learning curve. Any general tips on being successful in a multiplayer match? I played about three matches as a support gunner firing blindly at people. How do I restock on ammunition once I run out? Any general etiquette tips I should know about?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

al-azad posted:

I picked up Red Orchestra: Osfront 41-45 on a whim and I'm enjoying it so far but there's still a steep learning curve. Any general tips on being successful in a multiplayer match? I played about three matches as a support gunner firing blindly at people. How do I restock on ammunition once I run out? Any general etiquette tips I should know about?

If I remember correctly, one of the more assualt based classes has the machine gun ammo and will drop it if they're cool. They're mostly either not cool or they forget.

Other than that, you seem to be playing it right, welcome to the eastern front :v:

(Really this game is pretty much the hard mode of multiplayer shooters)

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

mrbasehart posted:

On a perhaps ill-advised whim, I bought Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland. I've never played an Atelier game before, so does anyone have any advice for the series or this particular game?

Keep multiple saves! Failing an assignment means game over, and you only get the option to reload a save. Keep a save at the start of the assignment in case you lose track of the date.

You can get free water from the well by the workshop. I somehow missed this and was buying the stuff.

When making items, watch what traits are passed on to the final item. It's most important for Ingots and Cloth since the trait is what's needed when you go to make new equipment.

You only need three or four large stars to pass an assignment, so don't sweat it if you can't max it out.

Don't neglect your adventurer levels. There's a late-game assignment in an tough area.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
In Dead Rising 2, are there any magazines which can increase the durability of the combo weapons in general? I know there are a bunch of magazines for things like "toy weapons", or "construction weapons", but I'm not sure if combo weapons are in a class of their own or not, and it would be nice to get some more use out of them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Have there been any good mods for San Andreas pc? I tried searching around but I get the feeling I'll have to wade through 99% poo poo to get to that gem

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Palleon posted:

In Dead Rising 2, are there any magazines which can increase the durability of the combo weapons in general? I know there are a bunch of magazines for things like "toy weapons", or "construction weapons", but I'm not sure if combo weapons are in a class of their own or not, and it would be nice to get some more use out of them.

Not as far as I know. The magazines you're referring to, as I understand them, only apply to items that haven't been combined to form a combo weapon. So a construction magazine would increase the base durability of, say, the sledgehammer but not when you combine it to make the Defiler.

I found that the knife gloves/defiler were the most durable of the combo weapons (accounting for how much damage they do vs. how long they take to break). The light sword is really easy to make, but doesn't last long in a crowd.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011

Quarex posted:

I guess this means the game finally came out in English, unless you are some sort of Ger-Man.

As someone who has never played this game but loved the first one in the series and bought the table-top books out of obsessive fanhood, I think you should focus on raising whatever combat skills seem most useful if you are going to play a warrior. As in, if the game is throwing one-handed swords at you, just keep raising your one-handed swords skill. There is no harm in keeping the points around, either; the more you have, the easier it is to drastically fix a shortcoming once you notice it (like if you keep getting tripped in combat, you can suddenly raise your sturdiness or whatever the trait was that helps resist that; willpower?).

In the first game, most people agreed you could not get by without magic, so try to recruit a useful magician wherever you can find one (assuming the game still has party dynamics). Still, I personally, said "I hate you, conventional wisdom" and stuck to my character-personality-favoring party of three fighters and a rogue, and still made it through with only a few big problems, so your mileage may vary.

Also please tell me if the game is awesome. Not that you have played the first one to compare.

I have "Drakensang:The Dark Eye" or whatever the first one is called. I have been putting off playing it for a few months. Basically, I started it, got completely daunted by all the options and put it aside for later.

I usually pick characters by looks in games where your character's appearance is fixed by race/class. I prefer to be a warrior, but in this game the mages just look better. Is it possible to be a warrior/mage without being a complete gimp? I noticed the "metamage" has some skill with scimitars. There are also a couple of elf characters who have melee and magic skills. Can you make a decent warrior out of a magey class?

Basically, the main question for a newbie with all these types or rpgs is: Can you spread your skills around and create a somewhat flexible character or should you become highly specialized in just a few skills?

Two Worlds 1
I have this to play too. Same deal, I started it and played a bit but there were so many options. Based on the story, it would be interesting to be a necromancer, but I had a hard time finding any spells and what I did find were rubbish: a poison spell and a short-lived skeleton summon.

Same question really: Does a warrior/mage work in this game or is it better to specialize?

Also, I read somewhere that you should avoid starting the main quest until you have explored and got to a decent level. Is this true?

Also, when I leave the main roads I seem to find nothing but wolves and bears, no interesting places or loot. I level up pretty quickly but it is fairly tedious getting around. Is there any need to wander off or should I stick to the quests/roads.

Also, I like the light armor that you find early on a lot more than the heavier stuff you find later. Can you make light armor viable by combining lots of sets?

For both games: anything else I should watch out for? I hate making a gimped character and having to start over. (I think you can respec in TW, which is cool.)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I've seen a lot of posts about Dragon Age, but right now my main question is which DLC should I get and which isn't worth my money?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Snot Man posted:

I've seen a lot of posts about Dragon Age, but right now my main question is which DLC should I get and which isn't worth my money?
It's the only one I have and from what I read the only one that's truly worth it is Warden's Keep - this is the one that lets you get a chest to keep your extra poo poo in. The game is really stingy with inventory space and that thing was a godsend. I actually enjoyed the quest too :)

If you bought it new you should have a code for an extra party member and the associated quest. That was also cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Limorkil posted:

Two Worlds 1
Same question really: Does a warrior/mage work in this game or is it better to specialize?

Yes, it works very well. It may take you a while to find some really good spells, but there are some REALLY stupidly good ones.

quote:

Also, I read somewhere that you should avoid starting the main quest until you have explored and got to a decent level. Is this true?

No, this is not true. TW1 is such an easy game that you really shouldn't need to worry about much of anything, least of all is grinding.

quote:

Also, when I leave the main roads I seem to find nothing but wolves and bears, no interesting places or loot. I level up pretty quickly but it is fairly tedious getting around. Is there any need to wander off or should I stick to the quests/roads.

Stick to quests and roads mainly. Don't force yourself to do stuff that isn't fun, but explore stuff if it seems interesting.

As a random tip, learn to back dash. It's hilariously good.
As a second tip, don't put any points into the skill that lets you dismount other guys, because there are no enemies on horses in the entire game (AFAIK anyway).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

BreakTargets posted:

Fog Breath is absolutely essential right up to the last areas.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Snot Man posted:

People mostly go with Warden's Keep and Stone Prisoner as far as ones that are worthy. Awakening isn't DLC, but rather an expansion, if you can find it for less than $20 it is a direct continuation of the story (though mostly doesn't touch things from Origins, only returning party member is Oghren, everyone else is new, and conversations are triggered by objects being examined if you have the right party member.).

Golems of Amgarrak is apparently good if you really really like the gameplay, and is pretty darn hard. I personally enjoyed Darkspawn Chronicles but it's entirely an alternate scenario- if the Warden didn't exist, you basically play the last section of the game as a darkspawn general killing all the humans- some neat codex stuff but mostly only warrior gameplay here unless you control the party members, which is also neat. Return to Ostagar is an in-game area added, where you... return to Ostagar. No real exciting gameplay here, but it has some nice items and if you really want to see what the battlefield is like now it may be worth it to you.

Feastday Gifts is pure item DLC, and generally not worth anything, Leliana's Song is apparently OKAY and is a prequel scenario showing how she showed up in Lothering. Witch Hunt is pretty universally reviled even by people who enjoy Morrigan's character in by it is pretty unenjoyable- that said- depending how you end your game, it could also directly continue from where Awakening leaves off, and makes a endgame save file. Most people say it is STILL not worth the price though.

Of these the ones I have direct experience with are Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, Awakening, Darkspawn Chronicles, and Return to Ostagar. The last two feel overpriced but weren't... bad? But they weren't good enough for me to invest in Witch Hunt and Leliana's Song which I'd probably get at half price since it bugs me, but that's just me. I should keep an eye out for sales I guess.

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 10, 2011

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

KariOhki posted:

about atelier rorona
Keep multiple saves! Failing an assignment means game over, and you only get the option to reload a save. Keep a save at the start of the assignment in case you lose track of the date.

You can get free water from the well by the workshop. I somehow missed this and was buying the stuff.

When making items, watch what traits are passed on to the final item. It's most important for Ingots and Cloth since the trait is what's needed when you go to make new equipment.

You only need three or four large stars to pass an assignment, so don't sweat it if you can't max it out.

Don't neglect your adventurer levels. There's a late-game assignment in an tough area.

A few additional things:

Sometimes you can buy better quality ingredients from the store. I usually don't care, but keep that in mind when you're getting scored on quality.

You don't always have to be in town. If you're out adventuring when an assignment comes due, you'll get the next update via pigeon. I prefer to be in town for the portraits, but it's nice to know and can save you a few days of travel to and from.

Try using harvested Uni as attack items in the first dungeon. They'll allow you to power through it, in the period before you get your second party member with his healing ability. You can even finish the area in one trip out of town, if you want.

Explore dungeons before grinding them for items. You'll often find little branches with few/no enemies, a theme for their items, and shorter trip times, so you can hit that branch several times instead of vising a main path just once.

Resting is a trap! Eating is a hell of a lot more efficient use of your time than sleeping, even if you figure in the cost of cooking/alchemy.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 10, 2011

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just got Phantasy Star 2 and Shining Force on mah iphone. There anything I should know about either of these games?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

floor is lava posted:

I just got Phantasy Star 2 and Shining Force on mah iphone. There anything I should know about either of these games?

I hope you love graph paper. You'll need it to make maps in PS2, which is brutally hard and has unecessarily confusing dungeons.

Shining Force - you may want to look at a guide to see when you can recruit characters. Sometimes people who seem lovely (Domingo, Bleu, Arthur) end up being far and away the best characters in the game once they develop and get promoted. If you love power gaming, you can level up to 20 and then promote and level up again from there for maximum stat gains.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

If you love power gaming, you can level up to 20 and then promote and level up again from there for maximum stat gains.

To clarify what he means by this - once your characters get to level 10 in their basic class, they can be promoted, which makes them level 1 in their advanced class. But if you continue leveling the basic class (to a max of level 20), when you finally promote you'll have vastly improved stats. However, as far as your EXP gains go, it'll reset to act as if you had promoted at the first opportunity. You see, EXP gains are calculated by your level vs. the strength of your target - let a character hog too many kills and he'll get ahead of the curve, causing him to gain pathetic EXP from attacking and killing enemies. But if you wait until level 20 to promote, it'll act as if you're level 10 again... fighting level 20+ enemies. You'll level extremely rapidly until you catch back up to the curve.

The downside is that the upgraded classes tend to have better stat gains per level and after a while the available weapon upgrades will be only usable by the advanced classes, so things will be a little tougher until you do upgrade.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 10, 2011

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hope you have save states for Shining Force. I had characters level up 7 times with stat gains, out of 20. Several characters basically spent half their time getting weaker as they level, as it takes longer to level during battle.
The enemy is dumb as hell. If you don't send Max out to the front lines, you can send your suicide squads to pillage with impunity. Musashi was able to survive three battles with little health and constantly leading the charge.
Choose characters that tend to ignore terrain. These maps are huge, horrible slogs, and enemies are so spread out.

PS2
The worst dungeon design I ever saw combined with an auto-battle of constant canceling when something goes wrong.
Some characters have techs that will let them dominate a type of enemy depending on the section of the game you are on.
Shir will steal from shops. Read up on her.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A whole lot of Alpha Porotocol stuff:

In general:

Don't try to min-max your conversations for the optimal outcome. Just play however you like - the game will award pretty much any approach.

However, the perks you get based on your handler (Mina for 90% of the game) loving/hating you are much better than the perks for them merely liking/dislking you, so you might as well push their attitude to the limit.

There's no reward for a pacifist / no alarms run (and in fact, both are impossible due to scripted events). Don't frustrate yourself except as a self-imposed challenge.

Picking up Recruit for your very first run is both appropriate and not particularly hard if you choose the Recruit dialog option every time you can to get some AP back. Veteran makes replays much easier, and you'll want to replay this game.

You need to level at least one weapons skill, because there are quite a few unavoidable fights. Also, levelling one skill all the way up is far better than levelling two skills half-way. Your backup weapon should be just that - backup.

Put at least 2 points in sabotage to make minigames slightly easier and bypassable with an EMP gadget.

Some doors with the lock-picking minigame have a "break door" button above the "abort" button - use that if you don't mind raising an alarm.

If you put medkits in different gadget slots, you can chug them down one after the other without waiting for a cooldown.

Theoretically, if you shoot alarm panels, guys without radios can't raise an alarm. In practice, it's a bit more wonky.

TAB leads you to the map/intel screen, "i" leads you to inventory, "p" to your character screen. None of the above is mentioned / configurable in the controls menu

This is an RPG, not a shooter / sneaking game. Use your drat special abilities for the best results.

Your best sources of money are blackmail for Halbech intel and allowing bad guys to live in exchange for bribes and/or selling trophy weapons. Still, exploring every corner of every level and hacking every computer will get you more than enough to get by.

Save your money for gadgets and armor. Even the best weapons aren't GREATLY superior to starting weapons, while the best armor is far better than the starter set. You might want to play through a few missions with stealth in street clothes, just to learn how to avoid situations where you need to rely on your armor, but it's still highly useful.

Skills:

Stealth - you should know two things. 1. The fifth stealth level is great no matter how stealthy or not your character is. Being able to see where every enemy is is INVALUABLE. 2. You can't really Solid Snake your way through the game - which is why you have the invisibility cheat built into the stealth skill. Just punch that and silent running, and waltz your way through a previously impossible level, slicing throats as you go.

The Pistol is a tricky weapon. If you use it to merely spray and pray you might as well be using nerf darts. If you play to the pistols strengths though, it becomes incredibly overpowered.

Those strengths are: The pistol is the only easily silenceable weapon. Use it whenever you stealth (get the level 3 silencer from the third floor of the CIA post in Rome when that mission pops up).
You can get headshots on enemies without popping out of cover (great on hard mode). Just center your screen on a nearby enemy, and you'll get the targeting reticule after a while (if you're close enough).
On that note, a headshot on an enemy will make them fall even if they're not dead. Even if you're sneaking, all is not lost yet - keep your reticule trained on the guy and pop off another headshot once he stands up but before he starts firing for a stealth kill.
Chaintshot is great (just remember that you still need to focus your shot for a critical though). It can kill snipe people from far away. It can kill several guys at once - guys that would otherwise have inevitably raised the alarm. It's a great panic button when something unexpected pops up. And it's a total boss killer. Every hard mode boss will go down in one maxed chainshot-brilliance-chainshot.

Get brillance, even if you avoid the rest of the skill tree.

The SMG's kinda suck, but work far better if you run and gun rather than stay in cover, using the special ability to deal with particularly troubling sections. Still, thise means that they're very hard to pull-off in hard mode.

Shotguns: Unlike every other weapon, you can ready a critical hit while moving around. Just walk forward until you see a guy, then unleash a critical. If you even wing him, he'll drop down long enough for you to waltz over and stomp on him. Stomps count as a non-fatal takedowns. This doesn't work for bosses, who just flip around, but the shotgun special ability can keep them flipping for quite a while.

The Assault Rifle is a great backup weapon since you don't really need skill investment to make it a viable weapon Sadly, that also means that it doesn't get that much better if you do invest a lot of points in (the special ability is particularly disappointing)

Specific in-game stuff:

Each of the three training courses has a bonus mission if you ace it. To ace Parker's course, you want to avoid changing out of the hospital clothes (the quietest clothes in the game)(also useful for his follow-up mission), shut down any alarms you sound, and take down both guards. For Mina's weapons training, you want to make every shot you fire a critical for major bonuses, and miss as little as possible. All you need to do with Darcy's course is deal with all the guards.

Occasionally you'll get a mission with the alpha protocol logo on it. These missions generally conclude the current portion of the storyline - complete any optional missions remaining before you undertake these.

If you get to make a decision on whether a boss lives or dies, it will happen in a dialog scene. Don't bother with tranquilizer shots or martial arts.

Killing mooks from a certain faction won't actually impact your reputation with that factions leaders.

You can get some easy XP with the "contact guy x" missions. Check the intel before the mission starts - if you don't see a map of the area, it's going to be a simple dialog-mode mission.

I'd generally recommend you explore the areas in the order of Moscow-Tapei-Rome (Rome is unquestionably the culmination of the storyline and where poo poo gets real) but the Moscow boss might be a bit difficult if you don't have contacts in Taipei. Remember that you can skip between areas to level up and get useful stuff.

Having trouble with the final portion of the Moscow embassy mission? You can use the exit to the roof for a better vantage point (though watch out for bad guys spawning behind you) and/or be a dick to Grigori (when you first meet him), which will lead to increased embassy security.

Boss strategies/exploits:

Moscow: When he gets coked up, he's invulnerable. Either run away until he gets tired, at which point you can unload on him, or use Shadow Operative to snap him right out of it (but you won't get the "tired" moment in that case).

Taipei: You don't have to follow him onto the balcony - you should stick around in the corridor outside, which has better visibility, a health cabinet and into which his minions will be reluctant to follow. Also, you can use the time before the fight starts to plant some gadget traps on the walls.

Rome: There's an obvious "pre-boss fight" section with a way to proceed to the actual fight. Before you proceed, you may as well trap the area. Also, his mooks will keep spawning in, so you may as well focus on the boss.

First AP boss: see the tower opposite of the one the boss is in? There's a sniper gun at the top, and he can't hit you with grenades. Kill the mooks, EMP the door, climb up, free boss kill.

Final boss: Your handler will suggest taking out the mooks and running straight for the boss - which you might as well do. The easiest way to deal with this fight is to clean out the minions, then run up the stairs all the way to a door which leads to boss room. EMP it, and the fight is practically over.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 11, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Xander77 posted:

A whole lot of Alpha Porotocol stuff:

Each of the three training courses has a bonus mission if you ace it. To ace Parker's course, you want to avoid changing out of the hospital clothes

Are you certain this part is true? I did a couple different runs of the game when it first came out, and I got the extra reward though I had changed clothes.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

ArchRanger posted:

Are you certain this part is true? I did a couple different runs of the game when it first came out, and I got the extra reward though I had changed clothes.

The hospital gown is slightly quieter than anything else you might be wearing, but it's not like it's hard to ace Parker's training mission anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

He says you want to, don't have to. The hospital clothes have the lowest noise rating in the game, so for the stealth challenge it makes it a lot easier.

Edit: gently caress beaten.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Keep the quiet clothes is also a really good idea for the follow-up sneaking mission, particularly on Veteran (which gives you noisy armor with no other options if you change)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xander77 posted:

TAB leads you to the intel screen, "i" leads you to inventory. AFAIK, neither is actually in the control definition menu.

Actually, M leads you to map/intel, I to inventory, P to character sheet. TAB gives you a menu from which you can pick any of these three. They are not configurable in-game but can be changed with an ini edit.

quote:

Your best sources of money are blackmail for Halbech intel and allowing bad guys to live in exchange for bribes. Still, exploring every corner of every level and hacking every computer will get you more than enough to get by.

Don't forget to sell the trophy weapons you get for taking down certain bosses, too. Also, leveling Sabotage gets you more money for successful hacks.

quote:

Having trouble with the final portion of the Moscow embassy mission? You can use the exit to the roof for a better vantage point (though watch out for bad guys spawning behind you) and/or be a dick to Grigorii, which will lead to increased embassy security.

To clarify, this means being a dick to Grigori before you take the embassy mission.

quote:

Moscow: When he gets coked up, he's invulnerable. Either turn run away until he gets tired, at which point you can unload on him, or use Shadow Operative to snap him right out of it (but you won't get the "tired" moment in that case).

If you visit Taipei first, one of your contacts can give you some help that makes this fight a lot easier.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Actually, M leads you to map/intel, I to inventory, P to character sheet. TAB gives you a menu from which you can pick any of these three. They are not configurable in-game but can be changed with an ini edit.
Fair enough, I never managed to memorize that. Stupid game design either way.

quote:

Don't forget to sell the trophy weapons you get for taking down certain bosses, too. Also, leveling Sabotage gets you more money for successful hacks.
Will edit this in (planning to refer to this post on later occasions)

quote:

If you visit Taipei first, one of your contacts can give you some help that makes this fight a lot easier.
Mentioned in the post.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Fair enough, I never managed to memorize that. Stupid game design either way.
Will edit this in (planning to refer to this post on later occasions)
Mentioned in the post.

I added the entirety of your post to the wiki, and put in some of the suggested edits.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I added the entirety of your post to the wiki, and put in some of the suggested edits.
A. I'm flattered. :)

B. gently caress, the wiki version was added before I edited for spelling errors and poo poo. :/

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Starting Crysis for the millionth time, any advice for getting through the alien stages of the game? They completly turn me off because i just want to chokeslam Koreans :(

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kid Moe posted:

Starting Crysis for the millionth time, any advice for getting through the alien stages of the game? They completly turn me off because i just want to chokeslam Koreans :(

If you've already beaten the game several times, you may want to try some custom maps, there are plenty of them and they offer more fun scenarios to choke slam Koreans in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The enemy is dumb as hell. If you don't send Max out to the front lines, you can send your suicide squads to pillage with impunity.

Just to be absolutely clear, you must level up Max. As you may know, if Max runs out of HP, it's game over. The AI knows this, and will attack Max at every opportunity. When I was a kid, I figured the best way to deal with this was to leave Max at the entrance to every map and never expose him to risk. This works until one of the very last battles in the game, which features flying spellcasters who begin in range of Max's starting position. They will swoop in and nuke him, and there's nothing you can do about it. And since there are no random battles, there's nothing you can do but start the entire game over.

Healers are hard to level. Early in the game, you should try to let a healer take the killing blow whenever an enemy just happens to end up with minimal HP. Otherwise, heal whenever you can, even if just for a single HP, rather than let a healer end a combat with unspent MP.