Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Oh I get it! So what I thought were the "purl" squares are actually garter squares, hence the knit all the way across on every other row. Ok, now I think I can wrap my brain around it.

Hmmm....I think I like the actual reversible basket weave idea better but at least now I have a choice. Thank you for helping me get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Jollity Farm posted:

This is a great thread. I've wanted to learn to knit for a while, so I finally picked up some cheap acrylic and needles (6mm - I figured that fat needles might be easier for a beginner, though if I'm wrong, I'll still have some if I ever want to knit something fat).

Of course, compared to the magnificent projects in this thread, I am terrible. I managed to work out how to cast off (using the loop-round-the-thumb method, which I understand is not the best, but is the only one I could do properly from the instructions I found on the net), but I think I'm pulling the yarn wrongly when I try to knit new rows. I've been ending up with a length of yarn in between the needles when I knit a new stitch, and that means I end up with a big loop when I get to the end.

I think what I'm doing there is letting too much come in from the ball end, on account of not holding the yarn correctly. Of course, if I try to correct it, I pull it too tightly and then it won't be pushed down the needle. Practice, I suppose, makes perfect. I think I may see if there are any knitting groups in my town to join. It might be easier if I have a real person prodding at me.

Every one of us started out with needles askew, tongue sticking out the sides of our mouths, and swearwords. Then after doing it repeatedly something clicks in your head and it's easy. :)
edit: And then you immediately begin to look for new things to learn that put you right back at 'swearwords'. We're a masochistic group.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 8, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

SilverSliver posted:

Every one of us started out with needles askew, tongue sticking out the sides of our mouths, and swearwords. Then after doing it repeatedly something clicks in your head and it's easy. :)
edit: And then you immediately begin to look for new things to learn that put you right back at 'swearwords'. We're a masochistic group.

Haha, exactly. I tried to knit my first sock in an IHOP. I'm really surprised I wasn't asked to leave.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Or how we decide clearly we can do a big project with a skill we've never tried before and expect it to go swimmingly and never need to rip back.

I'm not the only one who does that, am I? :ohdear:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Or how we decide clearly we can do a big project with a skill we've never tried before and expect it to go swimmingly and never need to rip back.

I'm not the only one who does that, am I? :ohdear:

My FIRST lace project ever - not my first shawl, my first LACE of any kind - was this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fir-cone-square-shawl

Only of course I made it in laceweight on size 3 needles. BRILLIANT.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I end up ripping everything I start out at least once. I'm an insane perfectionist though, I'm sure no one would see my "mistakes" except for me.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

My FIRST lace project ever - not my first shawl, my first LACE of any kind - was this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fir-cone-square-shawl

Only of course I made it in laceweight on size 3 needles. BRILLIANT.

Aha, I am not the only loon out there. I mean, isn't knitting lace fun? (My first lace was in laceweight on size 3s as well, with DARK PURPLE YARN. Genius I say)

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, just keep going - much sooner than you think your hands will work out a good tension that makes a nice fabric that isn't all loopy but without being so tight you can't move it around on the needles.

Are the needles you got plastic or metal? If they're plastic that might add to the "grip" they have on the yarn making it a bit tough to move the stitches around. My sister in law tried to teach my niece how to knit and bought this fluffy yarn (impossible to see any stitches) and huge plastic needles that might as well have been coated in glue. The poor kid.

They're plastic needles - rather cheap, but I can't really afford to splash out on fine equipment at this stage of the game. Perhaps when I learn how to make actual things I might feel less conflicted about spending. On the plus side, the cheap boring acrylic in an uninspiring shade of brown means that I don't feel as though I wasted something important when I had to unravel the old attempts and it started going all tatty (I still have the tatty bits I cut off, in case they come in handy somehow)

Anyway, YouTube gave me this two-needle method of casting on, as well as a slightly more complicated-looking one-needle method. I've done a few stitches in the former method, and though it is still a bit fiddly, it seems to make an easier edge than the thumb method (seen here - the narrator says there are thirty-five ways to cast on). But, I will continue with my practice and see how it goes.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Jollity Farm posted:

They're plastic needles - rather cheap, but I can't really afford to splash out on fine equipment at this stage of the game. Perhaps when I learn how to make actual things I might feel less conflicted about spending. On the plus side, the cheap boring acrylic in an uninspiring shade of brown means that I don't feel as though I wasted something important when I had to unravel the old attempts and it started going all tatty (I still have the tatty bits I cut off, in case they come in handy somehow)

Anyway, YouTube gave me this two-needle method of casting on, as well as a slightly more complicated-looking one-needle method. I've done a few stitches in the former method, and though it is still a bit fiddly, it seems to make an easier edge than the thumb method (seen here - the narrator says there are thirty-five ways to cast on). But, I will continue with my practice and see how it goes.

Long tail is extremely easy and pretty quick once you get it down. And as far as money, this seller on etsy has full sets of needles for $20. I got their DPNs and they're good. Granted you may not use half of them, but I prefer bamboo and considering a single size is like $7 at Michaels, it pays for itself.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Jollity Farm posted:

Oh, there's nothing wrong with using the plastic needles - just be aware that they're kinda grabby with the yarn so if you're getting really frustrated with tightness it might not be you or the way you're knitting but rather what you're knitting with. A lot of beginners get frustrated without realizing they're not at fault for certain problems that crop up, is all. :)

FelicityGS posted:

Aha, I am not the only loon out there. I mean, isn't knitting lace fun? (My first lace was in laceweight on size 3s as well, with DARK PURPLE YARN. Genius I say)

Knitting lace is totally fun! I'm currently working on an Aeolian shawl - in silk/alpaca laceweight on my knitpicks needles it is the slipperiest thing ever in history. Combine that with periodically stopping to put a bead on with a teeny tiny deadly looking crochet hook - which I have to use two hands for - and wheeeee!

I can't wait to try Nuups.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Knitting lace is totally fun! I'm currently working on an Aeolian shawl - in silk/alpaca laceweight on my knitpicks needles it is the slipperiest thing ever in history. Combine that with periodically stopping to put a bead on with a teeny tiny deadly looking crochet hook - which I have to use two hands for - and wheeeee!

I can't wait to try Nuups.

Nupps are fantastically relaxing once you get your method down. Plus, blocking makes them all neat anyway! Blocking is my favourite part of of lace. Right now I'm working on the Gerda stole; I started with a mohair/merino blend, but apparently I'm allergic to mohair, so I'm doing the middle 5 panels in 100% merino and will itch my way through the last panel and border.

Jollity Farm everyone else has said what I could have said, so I'll just say huzzah for finding cast on videos that help you. Long-tail is super fast once you get the hang of it. The 2 needle method you've picked up is my favourite stretchier cast on.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The ONLY thing I want to do lately is knit, knit, knit, and then knit some more.

Right now I've got these things mostly finished:

My snail is done, other than sewing the shell to the body because I haven't quite figured out how to do that without it looking kinda lovely. Also I'm supposed to put eyes on it I think.

My second pair of prarie boots is done, other than the buttons. Also I think I was planning on knitting like a big sheet of stockinette and felting it and making like an outer sole out of it with fabric paint on the bottom so I can wear them outside.

The third pair of Veylas I've knit in the past two months are also done, except for buttons. I'll probably make a fourth pair for a friend, too, but these are mine since this is one of my favorite colors.

My sweater is also alomst done, I'm still sewing down the hem on the inside of the buttonband/collar, and then I'll need buttons...also I need to figure out how to get the seven pounds of dog hair off it...

And then since all that wasn't enough I have stuff on the needles still:

Socks. These are from Holiday 09 Vogue Knitting, and whoever wrote this pattern just kinda hates knitters I think. It has two charts and a written out lace pattern and all three things have a totally different row number repeat so you have to keep track of each one separately. It is gorgeous though.

Here's a fairly crummy picture of my shawl in progress - I don't know if you can see the beads or not.

AND I'm knitting another preying mantis, this time "with spikes on" as per my nephew's request...no pictures of that though because right now it just looks like a pile of white and tan yarn.

Whew.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
And it appears that I'm just and idiot and need to learn how to count. Ignore me please.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 9, 2011

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have a dumb question about knitting for stuffed animals. I have a number of patterns to make perfect spheres and have done a couple successfully, but now I want to make a sort of squashed sphere or ovoid-type shape - does that make sense? The toy I'm making is going to be more Japanese-style cute and needs a head wider than it is tall (like hello kitty). What I'm trying right now is using the pattern for a sphere but adding a bunch of stitches in the front and back and then increasing/decreasing only on the sides and ignoring the added stitches (just knitting them). Is there an easier way to do it, or some trick I don't know about? I'm mainly self-taught and am working on adapting patterns and inventing my own so I can sell stuff without angry internet persons coming after me.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

My second pair of prarie boots is done, other than the buttons. Also I think I was planning on knitting like a big sheet of stockinette and felting it and making like an outer sole out of it with fabric paint on the bottom so I can wear them outside.

Pattern, please? I hate Ugg boots but I'm told that every girl needs a pair of "not quite slippers" and I like the idea of being able to customise them.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Pattern, please? I hate Ugg boots but I'm told that every girl needs a pair of "not quite slippers" and I like the idea of being able to customise them.

Oh, of course! They're from Cocoknits:

http://store.cocoknits.com/products/prairie-boots.html

Rather expensive for a pattern sadly, I would never have paid for it if I could have figured out how to do it on my own...but I'm just not that smart. :)

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Stupid question: I'm knitting a scarf (just in time for spring) and used my go-to selvedge, sl1 purlwise, knit last stitch. Turns out with the stitch I am using for the scarf does not compute with that, and my edges look absolutely terrible, crooked, loose, just plain lovely. I was knitting in the dark and am about 4 ft along, in the daylight I can see that I cannot tolerate it--but I can't bear to frog 4 ft worth of scarf! I plan on blocking it anyway, is it feasible to roll the edge stitches in my fingertips (kind of like you do when you are doing a felted join) while it is wet and having just that felt (it's wool)? Is there any reason this will end in disaster?

I guess I could crochet a border, but I really hate crochet, and I am really bad at it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

Stupid question: I'm knitting a scarf (just in time for spring) and used my go-to selvedge, sl1 purlwise, knit last stitch. Turns out with the stitch I am using for the scarf does not compute with that, and my edges look absolutely terrible, crooked, loose, just plain lovely. I was knitting in the dark and am about 4 ft along, in the daylight I can see that I cannot tolerate it--but I can't bear to frog 4 ft worth of scarf! I plan on blocking it anyway, is it feasible to roll the edge stitches in my fingertips (kind of like you do when you are doing a felted join) while it is wet and having just that felt (it's wool)? Is there any reason this will end in disaster?

I guess I could crochet a border, but I really hate crochet, and I am really bad at it.

I have never tried felting part of a project and not the whole thing so I don't know how that would work out exactly.

Ideas off the top of my head:

-pick up stitches along the border and knit a border
-knit a border separately and sew it on or attach it the way you'd attach a border to a shawl
-applied i-cord around the edge
-fold over the edges and sew them down instead of felting

Or you could do this which is technically crochet but you can do it with a kntiting needle if you're more comfortable with that: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2011/01/neat-little-edging-for-garter-stitch.html

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I am having huge issues getting the increases for this cabled scarf. It's the first time I've tried cables and it's driving me insane. I've already ripped it back three times!

The pattern is here - http://mathgirl40.blogspot.com/2008/12/speedy-cabled-cowl-pattern.html

And the bit I'm having issues with is

"Next row (RS): *P2, M1, K2, M1*. Repeat from * to * until one stitch remains. P1. (61 stitches)."

I tried doing a lifted bar increase but it left huge holes between the K and P stitches. Do I need to move the yarn somewhere or lift from a different direction? I'm all flu-y and confused and it's driving me insane!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I am having huge issues getting the increases for this cabled scarf. It's the first time I've tried cables and it's driving me insane. I've already ripped it back three times!

The pattern is here - http://mathgirl40.blogspot.com/2008/12/speedy-cabled-cowl-pattern.html

And the bit I'm having issues with is

"Next row (RS): *P2, M1, K2, M1*. Repeat from * to * until one stitch remains. P1. (61 stitches)."

I tried doing a lifted bar increase but it left huge holes between the K and P stitches. Do I need to move the yarn somewhere or lift from a different direction? I'm all flu-y and confused and it's driving me insane!

It tends to leave little holes when I do that one too. One thing that might help is knitting that stitch through the back so it twists it.

Or you could do this: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/05/very-nearly-invisible-increase.html

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

I have never tried felting part of a project and not the whole thing so I don't know how that would work out exactly.

Ideas off the top of my head:

-pick up stitches along the border and knit a border
-knit a border separately and sew it on or attach it the way you'd attach a border to a shawl
-applied i-cord around the edge
-fold over the edges and sew them down instead of felting

Or you could do this which is technically crochet but you can do it with a kntiting needle if you're more comfortable with that: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2011/01/neat-little-edging-for-garter-stitch.html

I'm just afraid of borders for this, it's for a man who doesn't believe in accessories--I agonized over picking a stitch pattern that was manly looking enough. I might try that last one and just remove it if it looks girly :) I keep hoping that when I block it they will magically even out so it doesn't even matter. Thanks!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

There is a really good chance blocking will, in fact, fix it. I do a lot of selvedge edges when knitting lace, and it usually looks crap and uneven until I get it blocked.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Finally finished baby blanket for my friend! Tons of mistakes in it (first lace work, first blanket, first finished project that wasn't a scarf or a dishcloth!) but I'm still happy. Learned how to do a nice crocheted edge to neated it up:

Also got this project bag and knitting needle case for my birthday this week, made by my mum:

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
That blanket is gorgeous!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Seconding how gorgeous that blankie is! I had to look hard to notice one tiny thing, so don't worry about it!

So what's the most projects you guys have had on needles at once? I'm at 3: A first sock most of the way done, a scarf most of the way done and a baby blanket most of the way done. Just get sick of one thing, move to another...had to stop myself casting on a 4th the other day when all I wanted to do was knit and not stop for drat rear end purls.

Also, I made a few things for another secret santa that was shafted in the SASS thread, most of all I loved this scarf pattern. I'm making a second one for my mom's b/f / fiance in grey. It's like a ribbing with seed stitch border on either side. Plus it's extra chunky yarn so fast knit! (I'm on a huge chunky kick atm)

HATS! I made a huge gently caress off pom pom maker thing from cardboard, it was fun.

I still had one ball left, and at a loss...so I made this cowl for cooler days but not warm enough for the scarf (may make myself one, its so cute!)

I've also made a couple stuffies since my last pic dump heh. Probably should have done one more set of plates...but lil cowboys fan loves him.

hard to tell but this is supposed to be a kitty. Kids are easy to please...

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

zamiel posted:

I've also made a couple stuffies since my last pic dump heh. Probably should have done one more set of plates...but lil cowboys fan loves him.

That is the cutest!

I just bought this pattern but am at a complete loss as to which yarn to use. I'm looking for a solid, bright red, and something a bit drapey so that it doesn't stand up straight. Malabrigo's vermillion isn't quite bright enough, and I just can't seem to find anything here in Australia :(

tl,dr; any suggestions for a drapey, worsted, solid, bright red yarn?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I totally made my first baby hat, baby booties and baby mittens to match the blanket!

I uhh also made a cat hat :D :D

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zamiel posted:

hard to tell but this is supposed to be a kitty. Kids are easy to please...

I made this kitty too! She's chilling on my windowsill. Mine looks pretty much the same but with an embroidered face so I won't bother posting a picture. I'm tempted to get some super bulky yarn and make a giant kitty.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I love that baby blanket! I have a lace fetish because I'm a 90 year old woman hiding in a 28 year old's body.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It's a lovely baby blanket! I like the colors.

I have four projects on the needles right now - lace shawl, lace socks, stockinette sweater for my neice, and a preying mantis. It's a nice range of simple/complicated small gauge large gauge new techniques interesting construction at the moment. I like that because I get bored very easily.

Helanna posted:

I uhh also made a cat hat :D :D

Your cat is stunningly patient! I can't even get my dog to wear a hat for more than .02 seconds. He does like wearing sweaters though.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Your cat is stunningly patient! I can't even get my dog to wear a hat for more than .02 seconds. He does like wearing sweaters though.

He wasn't overly happy :D One of the other cats was less happy with me:

I think he is plotting to kill me in my sleep.

Earlier this week I had 3 projects ongoing, but I'm back to one now. Working on a Clapotis in sock yarn for my sister. It's destroying my soul.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
I know this isn't really knitting, but does anybody here have experience with knitting boards/looms? I know how to crochet, but these things seem like a speedier alternative for making things like scarves. Are they as easy to use as the online instructions make them seem or are they more hassle than they are worth?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Philo posted:

I know this isn't really knitting, but does anybody here have experience with knitting boards/looms? I know how to crochet, but these things seem like a speedier alternative for making things like scarves. Are they as easy to use as the online instructions make them seem or are they more hassle than they are worth?
They actually ARE that easy. But I don't know that they are faster than crochet. They seem slower than knitting to me, and I know that crochet is faster than knitting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Philo posted:

It's a two sided coin. My little sister used to use looms before she learned to crochet.

On one hand, yes it is easy and fast. It's a little tricky at first, but as soon as you get the hang of it you'll be making scarves and hats in no time.

On the other hand you're pretty much stuck with square hats and tube scarves. You can make other things, it's very difficult and limited in what you can make. At that point you might as well stick with learning how to knit/crochet.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

Wandering Knitter posted:

stuck with tube scarves...
That's actually all I want to use it for so that's pretty much perfect. Anything else I can crochet, but scarves are just my nemesis. :P

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Philo posted:

That's actually all I want to use it for so that's pretty much perfect. Anything else I can crochet, but scarves are just my nemesis. :P

Then you're set!

The only trick there is that the end you started on will always have a wide opening, while the end you end on will be tight, depending on how you finish off.

That sounded vaguely dirty. Huh.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

My knitting is continuing well enough. I bought three more balls of similar acrylic (red, green and yellow - a shop was selling them for £1 a ball) and some 3.25mm needles (metal) - though I discovered that they're not so easy to use with the cheap acrylic, as they tend to keep poking through the yarn, rather than through the loop-holes, like they're supposed to. Still, I will doubtless get some thin yarn at some point.

So far, I have knitted a brown shape, a red bit that went wrong and a red square, all in knit stitch. The first two bits went wrong because I was accidentally increasing the number of stitches every time I made a row. Mercifully, I found out where I was going wrong (rather common problem, apparently) and made a proper square. Now, I'm going to attempt purl stitch. I still can't get the hang of long-tail cast on, though, and I watched several different YouTube videos. Still, maybe one day.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The thing with long tail cast on - at least, the way I do it - is that it's just exactly like knitting a row. Only instead of the loops being all in a row on the left hand needle, it's just one loop at a time over your thumb, and then you knit it just like you would knit when you already had stitches and boom! There's a stitch on the right needle.

It really blew my mind when I realized this several years after learning to knit.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Longtail is one of those things where you watch videos and look at drawings and it all seems REALLY complicated. So you muddle through and force yourself to do it and think it's really hard and complicated. And then one day you look down and realize you just did a longtail caston without even thinking about it and it was so easy and why did you have so much trouble before? It just comes with practice and muscle memory, and I think a little of what Bob said, just finding a way in your head to visualize it so that it makes total sense. You'll get it and it will become your favorite caston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Wow, I didn't realize that longtail was hard to learn. That's what my grandma started me on, so I guess I lucked out there!