Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Sam. posted:

Can't speak for anyone else, but after I got the Dragon Sword I stopped experimenting with weapons and just started stabbing everyone I could.
Yeah this is the point in the game where I reliably forget about the non-lethal condition I was maintaining and just start messing around. I'm pretty sure on average I kill Chow like 30 times per playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Enallyniv posted:

Yeah this is the point in the game where I reliably forget about the non-lethal condition I was maintaining and just start messing around. I'm pretty sure on average I kill Chow like 30 times per playthrough.

It is way too easy to perfectly time your sword swing so that you both kill each other.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Found this on Amazon by accident while looking to see if they have the new comic for sale there (I don't think they do). Got it from TFAW instead.

I'd use it.

Clonexx
Jun 14, 2003

They're alive....aliiiiiiiiiiiiive........
Fallen Rib
I've been playing PC games for 25+ years now and I am sad to say that for some reason, I never played Deus Ex. After hearing so much about the game over the years and with Human Revolution coming out, I decided to finally buy it on Steam.

I installed it and did the recommended installs of the fixed EXE and using the D3D10 renderer. Everything runs absolutely fine except for 2 things. The first is that every single object seems to clip into whatever it's sitting on just a little bit. For instance, a Datapad sitting on a desk is only 3/4 to 1/2 visible because the rest is through the desk. However, I can deal with that, it's not a big deal.

The major issue I am having is menus. Anytime a menu is brought up where you have to use the mouse to click on things, the mouse is incredibly slow. It basically acts exactly the same way a game would behave if you ran it on a machine that wasn't fast enough to handle it. This includes the main menu before getting into the game and any menus inside the game, including inventory. This is making it extremely difficult to play and enjoy.

Has anyone else run into that issue and found a way to fix it? I am running on Windows 7 64bit with 4GB ram, a decent Nvidia card and a single core processor.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
A single core processor? These days? Weird.

Anyway, try it with the DirectX 9 renderer instead of 10. Both those issues sound like weird graphics programming bugs.

Clonexx
Jun 14, 2003

Fallen Rib

orange lime posted:

A single core processor? These days? Weird.

Anyway, try it with the DirectX 9 renderer instead of 10. Both those issues sound like weird graphics programming bugs.

Yeah I know...I have one of the last single core processors before Dual Core took over the scene. It's an Athlon 64 X2 I believe. I just haven't dedicated the cash it will take to upgrade from here because I would have to get a cpu/mobo/memory all at once.

I'll try the DX9 renderer tonight, I think I will have to download and install it though since I only have DX11 on my system right now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have had that mouse lag issue in lots of games, including Deus Ex- basically any game where the main interface isn't moving a cursor around with a mouse, I expect mouse lag.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Clonexx posted:

I've been playing PC games for 25+ years now and I am sad to say that for some reason, I never played Deus Ex. After hearing so much about the game over the years and with Human Revolution coming out, I decided to finally buy it on Steam.

I installed it and did the recommended installs of the fixed EXE and using the D3D10 renderer. Everything runs absolutely fine except for 2 things. The first is that every single object seems to clip into whatever it's sitting on just a little bit. For instance, a Datapad sitting on a desk is only 3/4 to 1/2 visible because the rest is through the desk. However, I can deal with that, it's not a big deal.

The major issue I am having is menus. Anytime a menu is brought up where you have to use the mouse to click on things, the mouse is incredibly slow. It basically acts exactly the same way a game would behave if you ran it on a machine that wasn't fast enough to handle it. This includes the main menu before getting into the game and any menus inside the game, including inventory. This is making it extremely difficult to play and enjoy.

Has anyone else run into that issue and found a way to fix it? I am running on Windows 7 64bit with 4GB ram, a decent Nvidia card and a single core processor.

I had that same mouse issue on the main menu, but never got a fix for it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Have you tried using a different renderer to see if that fixes the problem? I got menu mouse lag problems when I tried using an updated D3D renderer, but switching back to the default "Direct3d Support" renderer fixed everything.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

StickySweater posted:

Found this on Amazon by accident while looking to see if they have the new comic for sale there (I don't think they do). Got it from TFAW instead.

I'd use it.
Versalife is a so-so classic game corporation, I'd love me a Trioptimum mug

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Turn off vsync and the mouse lag will go away. The problem is caused by this idiotic pre-rendering poo poo that ATI and Nvidia are both madly in love with.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In my experience "V-Sync" is short for "50% lower framerate".

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pope Guilty posted:

In my experience "V-Sync" is short for "50% lower framerate".

Well, it literally is if your average framerate is twice your monitor's refresh rate.

Clonexx
Jun 14, 2003

Fallen Rib
Changing the renderer to just the plain old D3D one fixed it. I just didnt think to do it because I didnt think it would work on Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Clonexx posted:

It's an Athlon 64 X2 I believe

Except, that's a dual core. Potentially a slow one, but still.

Clonexx
Jun 14, 2003

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Except, that's a dual core. Potentially a slow one, but still.

Then that's not what it is :) It's been so long since i upgraded my processor that I completely forget what it is. I know it's a single core though. When I went to play Mass Effect 2, I ran into an issue with the wireframe loading screens that only affects single core machines.

According to Sandra, it's an Athlon 64 4000+...so yeah..it's old =P

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Clonexx posted:

Then that's not what it is :) It's been so long since i upgraded my processor that I completely forget what it is. I know it's a single core though. When I went to play Mass Effect 2, I ran into an issue with the wireframe loading screens that only affects single core machines.

According to Sandra, it's an Athlon 64 4000+...so yeah..it's old =P

Yeah I got an athlon 64 3800 to replace my p4 which I had been using since 2004, and I got that in 2006? Even then I got it because it was cheap.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Shouldn't matter for a game that came out a decade ago, although the replacement renders may well be much less efficient.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Playing through Deus Ex for the umpteenth time but the very first time with shifter + biomod installed. The Challenges bit interests me and I'm doing a non-lethal run. Does Anna's and Gunther's killphrases count as lethal though?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's really, really hard to actually complete a non-lethal run according to that challenge. I always play non-lethally but it failed me at some point, I have no idea how. I have to assume it's a bug or something

XausF1 posted:

Does Anna's and Gunther's killphrases count as lethal though?

It's impossible to complete the game without killing them both. So no

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's really, really hard to actually complete a non-lethal run according to that challenge. I always play non-lethally but it failed me at some point, I have no idea how. I have to assume it's a bug or something

It's impossible to complete the game without killing them both. So no
You can turn on notifications and it'll inform you when you fail the challenge.

How are you supposed to get around Walton Simons non-lethally? I know you can avoid him until the end, but don't you have to deal with him at some point head on?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Witchfinder General posted:

You can turn on notifications and it'll inform you when you fail the challenge.

How are you supposed to get around Walton Simons non-lethally? I know you can avoid him until the end, but don't you have to deal with him at some point head on?

Nope, you can just run past him at the underground labs, and at A-51 you can either run past him or take the back way in (in the large garage to the left, enter through the fan-intake).

You can skip Gunther too, by just running away. Navare is the only true kill if you don't exploit faults in the game engine. Even if you glitch past, the game counts her as dead.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I generally get rid of Anna at the beginning by placing LAMs on the door leading to Lebedev's room on the plane. Hey, if an augmented agent can't see and hear the armed explosives planted in her path, it's her own drat fault when she gets blown up by them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I always piled explosive barrels behind the door. It's not my fault she opened the door so hard they exploded, I was just trying to get some privacy.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

orange lime posted:

I generally get rid of Anna at the beginning by placing LAMs on the door leading to Lebedev's room on the plane.

That actually happened my first playthrough, albeit completely unintentionally. I was simply hedging my bets against the NSF storming the plane to protect their leader if I ended up having to kill him, so imagine my surprise when Anna got herself blown up by my cunning trap and Alex gave me an earful. I was hoping JC would say something like "actually, uh, I didn't mean for that to happen."

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

3 posted:

That actually happened my first playthrough, albeit completely unintentionally. I was simply hedging my bets against the NSF storming the plane to protect their leader if I ended up having to kill him, so imagine my surprise when Anna got herself blown up by my cunning trap and Alex gave me an earful. I was hoping JC would say something like "actually, uh, I didn't mean for that to happen."

Ahahahahah that's insane. Did you realize at the time that that's probably not the way it would have gone for most people?

Just thinking about that particular scene, and how much work was put into an event that most players would never have even seen makes my brain hurt. I would have loved to sit in on the design talks for this game.

e: Feel empowered, your post has just made me reinstall the game.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 8, 2011

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hard Clumping posted:

Ahahahahah that's insane. Did you realize at the time that that's probably not the way it would have gone for most people?

Just thinking about that particular scene, and how much work was put into an event that most players would never have even seen makes my brain hurt. I would have loved to sit in on the design talks for this game.

e: Feel empowered, your post has just made me reinstall the game.

JC's deadpan "neither did I" response to Jacobson's "they won't even blink!" kind of tipped me off that yes, you can kill Anna Navarre right there, and no, you weren't supposed to do it like that. I will say, though, I immediately loaded from before entering the plane just to see how many different outcomes there were just from that one event, and pretty much completely fell in love with the game right then :allears:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

3 posted:

JC's deadpan "neither did I" response to Jacobson's "they won't even blink!" kind of tipped me off that yes, you can kill Anna Navarre right there, and no, you weren't supposed to do it like that. I will say, though, I immediately loaded from before entering the plane just to see how many different outcomes there were just from that one event, and pretty much completely fell in love with the game right then :allears:

That's a love-defining moment.

The moment I realized I loved this game forever was pretty much that same spot, but that was because I had assumed up to that point that you'd be returning to UNATCO HQ after every mission for a debrief, like an interactive version of a Rainbow Six mission briefing, and that this story was going to be fairly by-the-numbers.

That assumption had been pretty much solidified by the time Paul showed up on the airfield and declared his true allegiance, so it was fairly world-shattering to me. Walking through UNATCO immediately after, knowing I probably wouldn't be coming back to this place, was bittersweet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What happens if you kill Anna right there? I always got my rear end kicked at the subway and woke up in the MJ12 prison. Can you just avoid that whole section entirely by not getting caught?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

What happens if you kill Anna right there? I always got my rear end kicked at the subway and woke up in the MJ12 prison. Can you just avoid that whole section entirely by not getting caught?

No, Gunther kicks your rear end and sends you to prison instead. On the plus side, she doesn't get to come down and taunt you in your cell.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, if you get past Anna in the subway - either by killing her, running past her, or simply not encountering her because she's already dead - you come face-to-face with Gunther, a bunch of military bots, and a shitload of soldiers. You can a) surrender peacefully, or b) fight (this results in JC getting the absolute poo poo kicked out of him before he wakes up in prison).

There's no way to win that fight - even if you try it with cheats, Gunther is invincible, and there's really nowhere to go because Jock has to pull out when UNATCo swarms the area.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

KillHour posted:

No, Gunther kicks your rear end and sends you to prison instead. On the plus side, she doesn't get to come down and taunt you in your cell.

Anna comes to taunt you in your cell if you don't kill her? I've played through Deus Ex countless times, and had no idea.

quote:

There's no way to win that fight - even if you try it with cheats, Gunther is invincible, and there's really nowhere to go because Jock has to pull out when UNATCo swarms the area.
Gas grenades and tranquiliser darts still hurt him, so you can end up with an unarmed Gunther running about grunting.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

The Supreme Court posted:

Anna comes to taunt you in your cell if you don't kill her? I've played through Deus Ex countless times, and had no idea.

Same here. Anna is always the first of the UNATCO team to go down on my playthroughs. Always :black101:

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Hard Clumping posted:

Same here. Anna is always the first of the UNATCO team to go down on my playthroughs. Always :black101:

I kinda liked Anna. Wish there was an option to just side with UNATCO and be a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

Never liked Paul much anyway.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Hard Clumping posted:

That's a love-defining moment.

The moment I realized I loved this game forever was pretty much that same spot, but that was because I had assumed up to that point that you'd be returning to UNATCO HQ after every mission for a debrief, like an interactive version of a Rainbow Six mission briefing, and that this story was going to be fairly by-the-numbers.

That assumption had been pretty much solidified by the time Paul showed up on the airfield and declared his true allegiance, so it was fairly world-shattering to me. Walking through UNATCO immediately after, knowing I probably wouldn't be coming back to this place, was bittersweet.

when I was walking through UNATCO after the airfield all the security kiss-asses were like "See ya JC" or "We'll miss you"

That definitely added to the detatchment you get from the place but still I like how it's more of a gut feeling

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Monday Averted posted:

I kinda liked Anna. Wish there was an option to just side with UNATCO and be a corrupt rear end in a top hat.

Never liked Paul much anyway.
I liked Anna but I always end up killing her in the plane to save Lebedev (even though killing her via killphrase is the best).

I remember feeling surprisingly morose about Paul's death in my first playthrough, but he's barely a presence in the second half of the game if you save him. I feel like his death makes the rest of the game a bit more significant/personal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hard Clumping posted:

Pfft

The trooper on the first mission is the first of the UNATCO team to go down :black101:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Monday Averted posted:

I actually thought this was possible. So after having done that bit with the sattelite dishes, I got the code to the subway from Paul, reloaded to before doing the dishes and then entered the subway. (I think it was like that, in any case. I might only have reloaded to before entering the 'Ton again.)

This caused me to wind up in Battery Park, where Gunther wouldn't talk to me. He would just stand there, with his giant army of battle bots and not utter a word. If I tried to leave, he would suddenly attack me, if I just stood there, he would attack me...

I should do that again, just to see how the game would react. Would Paul die from this, for example?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Witchfinder General posted:

I liked Anna but I always end up killing her in the plane to save Lebedev (even though killing her via killphrase is the best).

Actually, after the first level DX pretty much stops distinguishing between "unconscious" and "dead". You can shock him or tranq him and they'll accept that as a kill, and no-one seems to mind you picking him up and carrying him to safety.

quote:

I remember feeling surprisingly morose about Paul's death in my first playthrough, but he's barely a presence in the second half of the game if you save him. I feel like his death makes the rest of the game a bit more significant/personal.

Yeah, same here. I was kind of disappointed that saving Paul doesn't really change much of anything - you get a few sentences from him here and there and that's it.

I want to try out BioMod, but at the same time I'm kind of worried that stuff like this will kill DX for me now that I've played Alpha Protocol. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Iacen posted:

This caused me to wind up in Battery Park, where Gunther wouldn't talk to me. He would just stand there, with his giant army of battle bots and not utter a word. If I tried to leave, he would suddenly attack me, if I just stood there, he would attack me...
Yeah, if you know codes to certain areas you're not supposed to know in the game, and use them to enter those areas you can sometimes upset the game. I did this with the subway as well and saw Anna and Gunther there, but they didn't acknowledge me.

Later (I believe) this led to a rather confusing confrontation with Paul in the medical lab where he told me about how he had survived, but right next to us was another one of him only dead on the table. Somehow, I managed to satisfy both requirements for him being both alive and dead. (Picture a page or two back)

I never got to see if anything else got messed up that run through because I was having hard drive problems and I ended up losing the save. (No, my 2 TB hard drive! How could you fail me so?! :cry:) I replaced the hard drive since then with a cheaper, smaller one. I didn't want to go through the whole game again though since I was literally at Area 51 when it happened. I'm just not willing to go through the whole thing again right now.

I'm currently trying (for the third time) to force myself through Invisible War with all of the graphical attachments and modifications in place, but I seriously doubt I have the ability to get through it. So sad. :(

BTW, if you're looking to mod-up Invisible War, the Official Steam Forums has a thread that is the most comprehensive, although there are others out there, this has all of the relevant information in one place.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1322973

There's a thread for the original Deus Ex there too. That one is less vital since the Kentie site pretty much covers it all anyway. Only exception is that the steam thread provides a slightly less bright version of ENB. As far as I know, it's only available there. (see post here)