Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornithoptometrist
Oct 1, 2008

Yarr
Where are you guys finding out about TekSavvy cable availability? Just call them up and hope you get someone who knows?

I'm going to be moving to London in a month or so and I'm curious to know what my options will be. My brother just moved to Ottawa in January and ended up going with 3web (I think?) because he couldn't keep waiting to hear when TekSavvy would start offering cable.

It's extra lovely because I only just found out about EyeSurf here in Waterloo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CRTC's official statement:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2011/r110208.htm

CRTC posted:

CRTC to review billing practices for wholesale Internet services

OTTAWA-GATINEAU, february 8, 2011 —The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched, of its own initiative, a proceeding to review its decisions on billing practices that would have applied to the residential customers of Small Internet service providers (Small ISPs).

“The great concern expressed by Canadians over this issue is telling of how much the Internet has become an integral part of their lives,” said Konrad von Finckenstein, Q.C., Chairman of the CRTC. “Our approach is based on two fundamental principles:

1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers, and
2. it is in the best interest of consumers that Small ISPs, which offer competitive alternatives to the Large Distributors, should continue to do so.

With these principles in mind, we will be reviewing our decisions with fresh eyes and look forward to hearing the views of Canadians.”

Following a series of decisions, the CRTC had given Large Distributors the permission to change their billing practices for the residential Internet services provided to wholesale customers (i.e. the Small ISPs). Starting on March 1, 2011, the residential customers of Small ISPs would have been subject to additional charges for going over specific bandwidth caps. The CRTC has suspended the implementation of these decisions pending the outcome of the proceeding launched today.

The CRTC is seeking comments on:

1. How best to implement the following principles with respect to Large Distributors’ wholesale services used by Small ISPs:
1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers, and
2. it is in the best interests of consumers that Small ISPs, which offer competitive alternatives to the Large Distributors, should continue to do so.
2. Whether the CRTC should set a minimum threshold level for the sale of bandwidth by Large Distributors to the Small ISPs and, if so, what should it be.
3. Whether it is appropriate to hold an online consultation as part of its review.
4. Whether it is appropriate to hold an oral public hearing as part of its review.

Interested parties may submit their comments by April 29, 2011, by filling out the online form, by writing to the Secretary General, CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2, or by fax, at 819-994-0218.

Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-77

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Ornithoptometrist posted:

Where are you guys finding out about TekSavvy cable availability? Just call them up and hope you get someone who knows?

I'm going to be moving to London in a month or so and I'm curious to know what my options will be. My brother just moved to Ottawa in January and ended up going with 3web (I think?) because he couldn't keep waiting to hear when TekSavvy would start offering cable.

Teksavvy doesn't have cable here yet. It's been slow-going for them as its been costly to expand and Rogers hasn't been the most cooperative. They were estimating to be here by the end of 2009.

They do have DSL here, including 5mbit down unlimited. You can keep checking their website every few weeks, but I doubt they won't be here until the end of the year: http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers
I thought it was established that bandwidth costs are nominal and that all the expenses are recouped by the flat rate and that there is no subsidization at this point.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I submitted some pretty lengthy comments but I forgot to use an analogy involving cars and electricity so the CRTC will probably disregard them.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

The Gunslinger posted:

I submitted some pretty lengthy comments but I forgot to use an analogy involving cars and electricity so the CRTC will probably disregard them.
No, they will be disregarded because your job title doesn't include "Bell" or "Rogers".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

unknown posted:

CRTC's official statement:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2011/r110208.htm
Why did they write, "of its own initiative"? When it clearly was not their own initiative.

It's already a joke since their fundamental assumption is completely flawed:
"1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers, and"

"Bandwidth" isn't what's being being funded. You're mostly paying for the loving line, not bandwidth.

edit: well that was fast. Guess everyone's reading at lunch :D

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Why did they write, "of its own initiative"? When it clearly was not their own initiative.

The government didn't actually do anything - they just threatened to do something. So technically the CRTC decided to do the review on it's own initiative.

Kind of like how someone can point a gun at your head and say they'll shoot you if you don't do what they say. It's still your choice whether or not to do the task (you just might not like the consequences of not doing the task).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just emailed support@. It took them about two weeks to get back to me, but I think this whole UBB thing has them completely swamped - normally I get a reply within a day.

Calling them would probably also work, in my experience their phone support has been unfailingly knowledgeable and helpful.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ruklo Borosee already posted the proper link for checking cable availability:
http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

(though sort of in a round-about fashion)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Is there going to be a streaming feed of this afternoons meeting?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Ruklo Borosee already posted the proper link for checking cable availability:
http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

(though sort of in a round-about fashion)

That only tells you if it's already available where you are or not, not whether they have any plans to deploy it in your area and, if so, on what timeline. The latter is what I thought Ornithoptometrist was asking about.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

quote:

1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers

So basically they are starting off with one of their fundamentals totally wrong, this doesn't seem very promising at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

less than three posted:

EST.

George Burger and the dude from Vaxination are part of the panel this time.

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

Rescheduling my lunch for this, no way in hell am I missing this.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

univbee posted:

George Burger :allears:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I hate that this sort of policy is entirely decided by individuals who have absolutely no knowledge about what it is that they are regulating. I don't think that Finckenstein is being deliberately malicious after seeing the last session, but rather I think that he is clueless and just taking Bell's word for it because he used to work with them.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hello fellow Waterloser!

You should check out Yak instead. They're on the same equipment but seem to be a little more legit than EyeSurf: http://www.yak.ca/exclusive/

Also, the Teksavvy support team indicated that K-W was one of the next on the list for cable so you may even consider waiting an extra month or two (or three).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

Hello fellow Waterloser!

You should check out Yak instead. They're on the same equipment but seem to be a little more legit than EyeSurf: http://www.yak.ca/exclusive/

Also, the Teksavvy support team indicated that K-W was one of the next on the list for cable so you may even consider waiting an extra month or two (or three).

Yak is Globalive, which is in turn Wind Mobile, so you at least know that they mean business.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ZShakespeare posted:

Yak is Globalive, which is in turn Wind Mobile, so you at least know that they mean business.

Yep, it all comes full circle. Yak is also willing to give you a better estimate as to whether you'll actually get on their DSLAM's versus EyeSurf. EyeSurf said I would definately be in range of the Columbia-Albert DSLAM whereas Yak said 'eh... maybe... probably not'

I didn't end up switching to Yak because of that. I think my future is on cable.

Ornithoptometrist
Oct 1, 2008

Yarr
Thanks guys, that's all really helpful.

EngineerJoe, I guess I'm not even that far from you, pretty close to that nearby King/Weber intersection so that might be bad news. But I'll tell my sister to look into Yak regardless!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EngineerJoe, I guess I'm not even that far from you, pretty close to that nearby King/Weber intersection so that might be bad news. But I'll tell my sister to look into Yak regardless!

Some users put together a (somewhat outdated) map of Yak customers and their service level: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24077703-

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

univbee posted:

This should be starting in 5 minutes right?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Man, this shows just how full of poo poo Terrence Corcoran is on this:

quote:

Exactly why Japan and some Northern European countries have seemingly cheaper and fatter broadband service is a question I cannot answer. Maybe there is less competition in North America -- or maybe there is too much regulation.
WELL NO poo poo.

Except that it ain't just Japan and Northern European countries, is it? It's every other country on the face of the planet. Except Australia. And even they're probably moving away from it.

The saddest thing is that this is profoundly anti-business, but the Post isn't really pro-business in the first place; they're just water carriers for our minuscule selection of sectoral monopolists.

(This is a hilarious misrepresentation of Japan, by the by. The government pretty much forced the telecoms to provide decent Internet service. Funny how that works.)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is there a video stream of this one? All I can find is audio.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Streams are up now.

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/ContentEntityDetailView.aspx?ContentEntityId=7272

There is no video - it's an audio only event.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Don't really need video. It's just a nice extra. Audio is perfectly fine for this and it's streaming live now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's ok, if UBB goes through I'll need to get used to only getting audio anyways.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Teksavvy guys are going to blow this whole poo poo wide open.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Primus is on now.

I logged on now, someone was talking before, I'm not sure who.

Basically talked about Canada's position with the OECD and emphasized that the UBB only made sense as a cash grab for Bell.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Well, that sucked. Five minutes should cover it! :downs:

edit: the primus guy is wasting our time.

re-edit: wait, actually, he made a good point about handling their own damned bandwidth congestion issues.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

What is the GAS rate that's being referred to here?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I THINK this is the Vaxination informatique guy, this should be good.

He sounds like he's on the verge of diving over the podium and dive-tackling a Bell exec. Keeping his cool, though.

He's citing the Telecom act, talking about how the "last mile" works.

lol "Bell Sympatico or whatever it's called this week."

Now he's repeating what he's said in French.

Ooh he's comparing internet and cost subsidies to an all-you-can-eat buffet.

gently caress I think he got cut off at 5 minutes.

The liberals have now made a ballsy statement by saying TV will be dead in 20 years.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 8, 2011

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

PhancyPants posted:

Gateway Access Service, its where the customer links at the CO and switches from modem/copper to a routable point on the internal network with the big telcos.

For someone like Primus they use the copper/DSLAM at bell but instead of routing onto bell's internal network it links to Primus.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PhancyPants posted:

Gateway Access Service. The 'last mile' between residences and TekSavvy's network connections.

The Purple/Magenta section in this diagram.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Gigagouge... good attempt at a catchphrase.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Hahaha, "How much does it cost to produce a Gigabyte?"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THANK YOU!

Someone answered that looking at network pricing on a per-gigabyte basis made no sense, pointing out that nowhere in the networking world is connection priced that way.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Last guy just made a good point about the congestion issue, if Bell is having a congestion issue why are they pushing their IPTV and why do they keep increasing their speeds.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also pointed out that congestion statistics are easily "fudged" if you just "happen" to do your congestion tests while one of your nodes or backend pipes is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
What I think is incredible about it is that you can buy a 25 Mbps connection with a 75GB cap. That means you get to use your connection at full capacity for less than 7 hours before you've used up your monthly cap. You get to use it for less than 1% of the month.