Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Kenlon posted:

Hmm - not sure I approve of the Vindicator driver's move, here, unless he's planning on punching his jets next turn. The Blackjack has the right idea, and is in a perfect place to move into partial cover next turn and play turret. If the armor takes cover in the woods and the 'phract follows suit, then they can punish the attackers as they try to close, especially the Hunchback and the relatively thin-skinned Rifleman.

Even with the Caballero's advantage in mech numbers, I'd still give the edge in this fight to the Death Commandos - though they really need to get their first salvo off cleanly or things could get ugly.

Agree, only I still think the Caballeros hold the advantage; always winning init is a giant advantage, and lets them dictate terms of engagmeent the way I only wish I could. That Vindicator's mighty exposed; Skinwalker could jump forward into 1717, be next to impossible to hit, and unload into his flank. And that would put a pretty big wrench into the Liao's attempts to form some kind of stable defensive line. That might not be the best move, but it's the one that's immediately caught my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ha! Goon Luck wins out again! gently caress you, fanatics! Ariba! :ese:

Defiance Industries posted:

Caesar Steiner will smote those bitches.

They'll make the mistake of invading His HOME PLANET!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Caesar Steiner is from Furillo, not Somerset. It's basically the best planet.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Mukaikubo posted:

That Vindicator's mighty exposed; Skinwalker could jump forward into 1717, be next to impossible to hit, and unload into his flank. And that would put a pretty big wrench into the Liao's attempts to form some kind of stable defensive line. That might not be the best move, but it's the one that's immediately caught my eye.

Yeah - the Vindicator's move would only make sense if he was covered by another machine with the firepower to make the Wolverine pay for coming in close.

Like, maybe, the Cataphract that hasn't moved yet because of the elite pilot's special ability, which is in a perfect position to respond to any such attempt. . .

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Music for the round: Pistolero (Mariachi mix)

You have superlative taste, except that you linked Cancion del Mariachi, not Pistolero. :ssh: Both are awesome however.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kenlon posted:

Yeah - the Vindicator's move would only make sense if he was covered by another machine with the firepower to make the Wolverine pay for coming in close.

Like, maybe, the Cataphract that hasn't moved yet because of the elite pilot's special ability, which is in a perfect position to respond to any such attempt. . .

Could use the special ability to counter. The Vindicator's not the biggest threat, but destroying it or otherwise forcing it to withdraw would open up the Cataphract to a flanking maneuver.

Still a lot of stuff coming down the pipe though... And once that Whammer gets into position, it's going to get hot for our Texican friends.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

So I got the blood of kerensky omnibus on my kindle because I wanted some more backstory. I don't know poo poo about battletech. I've only played mechwarrior2, and mechwarrior4 merc.

It turns out it takes place in 3050 so I guess its future backstory. I just got done reading the first book.

I cant stand Davion( :smug: ) gently caress the federated Suns.

Draconis Combine is where its at. Yakuza Mechwarriors own.
Shin Yodama = Kazuma Kiryu

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Popy posted:

So I got the blood of kerensky omnibus on my kindle because I wanted some more backstory. I don't know poo poo about battletech. I've only played mechwarrior2, and mechwarrior4 merc.

Haha, I did the exact same thing with my kindle, right down to finishing book one today. Kinda bummed by the number of typos in the kindle edition though, but oh well.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I'll be honest here, that Zhukov is scaring the poo poo out of me. They're funneling a lot of firepower through that little gap right now, but for some reason that tank just strikes fear. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

That said though, we gotta put pressure on them ASAP before they can get good firing positions. They've got more ranged firepower than us still and if they set up properly around the 0913 hill we're gonna get shredded.

SS's move is either going to be to 0320 (planning to move to 0618 to set up in the woods as a turret in round 4) or to 0218 and try to set up a crossfire. (Alternate alternate option, 0421 to cover the middle gap against the advance of D3.) Thoughts?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Time for a little something something. Just finished a midterm and feeling good.

BattleMechs are Divisively Awesome

Today's episode: HER-2* Hermes II
Brought to you by Irian MechWorks: Irian. We probably own your whole family.

[The scene opens with three men. Two RESEARCHERS and a BIG SWEATY FAT GUY IN A SUIT. BIG SWEATY FAT GUY IN A SUIT is behind a desk in his office, as the RESEARCHERS present a design to him.]

RESEARCHER 1: Well, as you may know, we at Irian have been contracted by the LCCC to design a replacement for our Hermes scout mech here, in the year 2798.

RESEARCHER 2: That is the year it is. 2798. [He stares at the camera for a moment]

BIG SWEATY FAT GUY IN SUIT: Yeah, I know! In 2798, we're gonna make like a zillion Marik Bux, because with the Succession War on, people are desperate for anything. So we're gonna offer them something they can build real cheap and build a lot of!

R1: Yes, and that's why I had another idea. What if the Hermes II wasn't a scout at all? What if it was an Assault Mech? Then we could sell it to the SLDF for their scout regiments and when Scout hunter mechs like Lyran Commandos come around then our Assault Hermes will blow the poo poo out of them.

R2: I was thinking we should build a scout mech armed with a long range weapon to help our lights face off against Liao Vindicators. And the only thing that will counter a Liao PPC is... an [CENSORED}* AC/5!
(*Sorry, Oriente Weapons, but if you want us to use your brand name, you gotta pay)

R1: That's a terrible idea.

R2: Worse than an Assault Mech for scout units?

R1: Shut up!

R2: No, YOU shut up!

BSFGIS: People, settle down. What we need to do is take these ideas and combine them! That's where the real money is at, compromise designs. So, we're going to build an Assault Scout that fights Lyran scout-hunter Commandos but also Liao fire support Vindicators.

R1 & R2: That is correct.

BSFGIS: I've got it. First, we take the original Hermes and upscale it 10 tons. You with me so far? Then we use that weight to add an [CENSORED] AC/5 for ranged combat.

R1: I'm with you so far, but where's the "assault" part?

BSFGIS: That's simple. We'll add a flamer so you can fight in cities. Fighting in cities is a type of assault.

R2: OF COURSE. It's so simple!

BSFGIS: And here's the best part: so that we can fight off those Commando things everyone's so worried about, we make it... slower. By a lot.

R2: But then they'll be MORE inclined to attack the Hermes II.

BSFGIS: Exactly. We'll lure them in with our apparent lack of weapons and then when they're in close range, then we'll hit them with our MEDIUM LASER.

R1: But that's... one less medium laser than the original design.

BSFGIS: Researcher 1, you're fired. Researcher 2, you're now Researcher 1.

[Old Researcher 1 sobs and leaves the screen, Researcher 2, now Researcher 1, smiles.]

R1: So what you're saying is, by making it worse than the Hermes, we're making the Hermes II better?

BSFGIS: That's the Irian way!

[For 1/4 a second, a message flashes at the bottom of the screen.
"This was not an actual historical recording, but rather, a dramatization produced independently with the help of donations from Defiance Industries. Any similarities to any person or organization living or dead is purely coincidental."]

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 9, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm.

So.

My plan was originally to close in on that Blackjack and smite it with my Smiting Cannon.

Unfortunately, he's running away faster than I can close in, so my original plan is shot. Anyone else have any ideas? Move forward and to the right and hope to flank something?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I learned today why no one ever takes out Defiance Industries: whenever you attack their factories MW4:Mercs freezes up. It's the perfect defense!

So how useful would something like the Scout Company be when it shows up?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Polaron posted:

Hm.

So.

My plan was originally to close in on that Blackjack and smite it with my Smiting Cannon.

Unfortunately, he's running away faster than I can close in, so my original plan is shot. Anyone else have any ideas? Move forward and to the right and hope to flank something?

Well, you need to move forward and use your Smiting Cannon either way, no matter who's foolish enough to come into range. Problem I see is that you need some cover to get there or they're gonna rip you a new one before you're in range. There's not really a lot of cover for you to get TO this turn, though. Best I can see is to move towards the 0920 gully to avoid fire while they close and accept that they're gonna have a turn to blast at you?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Time for a little something something. Just finished a midterm and feeling good.

BattleMechs are Divisively Awesome

Today's episode: HER-2* Hermes II
Brought to you by Irian MechWorks: Irian. We probably own your whole family.

:bravo2:

[For 1/4 a second, a message flashes at the bottom of the screen.
"This was not an actual historical recording, but rather, a dramatization produced independently with the help of donations from Defiance Industries. Any similarities to any person or organization living or dead is purely coincidental."]
This is epic. :tipshat:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor Researcher 1. :(

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

SynthOrange posted:

he gave us the Hermes II, STRING THE MAN UP! :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SynthOrange posted:

Yo, that's just business. If you can't toe the company line maybe you're not the right fit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Despair posted:

Haha, I did the exact same thing with my kindle, right down to finishing book one today. Kinda bummed by the number of typos in the kindle edition though, but oh well.

I can't find the link right now, but the typos are because Stackpole went and grabbed pirated versions of his books to make the kindle editions, and apparently didn't proof too carefully.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Just posting to say that you're awesome, DI. Never stop.

Also I've got PMs, now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WarLocke posted:

Can we all just agree that LAMs should be relegated to the 'poo poo should have never happened' pile like those aliens? :argh:
No, they fukken rock :colbert:

Fraction Jackson posted:

Well, that and it allows you to ram even if you technically aren't allowed to ram. Hell, give it an 8/8 pilot and make the whole thing really silly so you can skid out at will.

If something like that is what he means, then I can see why they made up a rule to prevent it.
I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy correctly, but IIRC after his shenanigans they changed the rules to prevent a skimmer moving and skidding a combined distance greater than the flank MP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Poptarts, is it possible for friendly units to move the hostages? Like with the Tech APC or something?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

hcenvirons posted:

So how useful would something like the Scout Company be when it shows up?

Depends on if they can trundle into that transport that's showing up next round. Looking at their stats, they do tremendous damage, but only if they manage to get to dangerously close range. And of course what's stopping that is just how slowly they move. Hell, that's probably why Poptarts is making them show up late to the party in the first place.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

They'll make the mistake of invading His HOME PLANET!

:ssh: he's actually on Somerset RIGHT NOW!

paragon1 posted:

Hey Poptarts, is it possible for friendly units to move the hostages? Like with the Tech APC or something?

I hadn't considered that, so I'm going to say 'yes'.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

If Adam Steiner and his brother can both die in the crossfire, preferably from inferno SRM or flamer use, I will do ads for any mech you can name. Not just regular quality ones. I'm talking the minute long season premier spots for Tharkad's #1 drama good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

If Adam Steiner and his brother can both die in the crossfire, preferably from inferno SRM or flamer use, I will do ads for any mech you can name. Not just regular quality ones. I'm talking the minute long season premier spots for Tharkad's #1 drama good.

Clanners wouldn't flamer perfectly good Bondsmen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Who said the Clanners have to do it? He can just get caught in the crossfire. At this point he's like 14 so he's probably an even more insufferable prick than normal.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

This would make a lot of people very very happy. Especially me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

This would make a lot of people very very happy. Especially me.

Then you must join me, in demanding that Adamn Steiner and his whole family be killed immediately by a stray Inferno SRM from Archon Caesar's Banshee-S.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just going to slowly follow this thread until the Timeline gets to 3055, then I'm going to try and sign in and pilot one of these: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Komodo Because I love them. Find a solo mech, light em up, then let those heat sinks work and hope nobody finds you for a turn. And also slapping around those things we aren't talking about.

Edit: also, great thread!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Bah. I liked Adam Steiner. The Battletech animated show was one I grew up with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mezzanon posted:

I'm just going to slowly follow this thread until the Timeline gets to 3055, then I'm going to try and sign in and pilot one of these: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Komodo Because I love them. Find a solo mech, light em up, then let those heat sinks work and hope nobody finds you for a turn. And also slapping around those things we aren't talking about.

Edit: also, great thread!
God-dammit, <REDACTED> on that page!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

hcenvirons posted:

I learned today why no one ever takes out Defiance Industries: whenever you attack their factories MW4:Mercs freezes up. It's the perfect defense!

I noticed that as well, right when the helicopter is supposed to show up, after you kill the Fafnirs and turrets. Was there ever a solution for that?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 9, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If Adam Steiner dies I am out.

No point in reading the rest of this without the precious ammunition that is information.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

If Adam Steiner dies I am out.

No point in reading the rest of this without the precious ammunition that is information.

we need a :somerset: that has a Axman crying.

Actually this would be interesting with Adam being the "traitorous" bondsman :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Axe-man posted:

we need a :somerset: that has a Axman crying.
Fedcom flag would work pretty well actually.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd still like to be a mechwarrior :( I hope you havn't stopped recruiting!

I gots the PM's!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hadn't considered that, so I'm going to say 'yes'.
Okay, so now that we know that, I think I'm gonna try and have my scout sapper rescue some then.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

bunnyofdoom posted:

Okay, so now that we know that, I think I'm gonna try and have my scout sapper rescue some then.

You don't have an APC :/

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Affi posted:

You don't have an APC :/

But he has "friendly troops", having the hostages following with 1 MP isn't going to be that useful though, unless he makes it into the woods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

No APC and that guy should be doing other things.

• Locked thread