Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone got a lowepro flipside 400 AW?
Just thinking about pulling the trigger as it's only £60 compared to the £120 messenger back I was interested in previously. £20 cheaper to get the dark green one instead of black too, which seems strange.

Again, I'll need to fit 7D, 70-200 2.8IS, 8-16, 17-50, 50, couple of batteries and a flash. Seems like it would take all that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Anyone got a lowepro flipside 400 AW?
Just thinking about pulling the trigger as it's only £60 compared to the £120 messenger back I was interested in previously. £20 cheaper to get the dark green one instead of black too, which seems strange.

Again, I'll need to fit 7D, 70-200 2.8IS, 8-16, 17-50, 50, couple of batteries and a flash. Seems like it would take all that easily.

I handled one and as a backpack they feel nice, but I couldn't get used to that "Swing it around at your waist and open it from the back" thing. Certainly does seem useful and gives you a good surface to work with if you're hiking or out somewhere you can't put a bag down. If you can work with the swing from the hip thing, I'd imagine it's very nice.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Any recommendations for a slim shoulder bag that would take, at most a 50D plus a 17-55mm f2.8? I have a shoulder bag that can fit that, as well as nearly every other lens. I just need something I can take down the street to force myself to take photos everyday!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DJExile posted:

I handled one and as a backpack they feel nice, but I couldn't get used to that "Swing it around at your waist and open it from the back" thing. Certainly does seem useful and gives you a good surface to work with if you're hiking or out somewhere you can't put a bag down. If you can work with the swing from the hip thing, I'd imagine it's very nice.

Are we thinking of the same one? This is just a normal backpack that you would need to take off to open? http://cambags.com/bag-type/backpacks/lowepro-backpack-bags/item/46-lowepro-flipside-400-aw.html

E: Ah I see, you mean you don't like it being the back that opens? I think it's a neat idea and I'd just remove the pack to get at my gear.

E2: Ordered. Got it down to £50 with vouchers. Made my mind up after seeing I'll fit everything I want plus my macbook. Absolutely ideal!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 4, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Are we thinking of the same one? This is just a normal backpack that you would need to take off to open? http://cambags.com/bag-type/backpacks/lowepro-backpack-bags/item/46-lowepro-flipside-400-aw.html

E: Ah I see, you mean you don't like it being the back that opens? I think it's a neat idea and I'd just remove the pack to get at my gear.

E2: Ordered. Got it down to £50 with vouchers. Made my mind up after seeing I'll fit everything I want plus my macbook. Absolutely ideal!

Oh I think it's a very cool idea. I just couldn't get used to it myself. :shobon:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DJExile posted:

Oh I think it's a very cool idea. I just couldn't get used to it myself. :shobon:

Yeah it seems like a good idea but to be honest, I'll just use it as a normal backpack most of the time I think.
I'll stick up a quick review when it gets here.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Just got a ThinkTank Streetwalker HD, and it is THE bag I was looking for. Fits all of my stuff exactly the way I want, and it is built extremely well. I'm glad I got it.

One thing that I like, is that it has a little bit of a ledge designed for Pro/Gripped bodies. A few other bags I tried didn't have that, and the flash/mirror housing would stick up too far when you zipped the bag shut.

As of right now, it is holding a gripped D700 with 70-200 2.8 VRII attached, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.8, (2) SB600, Nikon battery charger, ThinkTank rain cover, blower, lens pen, and an Energizer 15 min. quick charger & power brick all in the main storage area. There is an empty space for the 70-200 when it is not attached to the camera. If I wanted, I could easily store 2 more lenses (14-24 2.8, 105 2.8 micro)in it if I stored everything taken apart. Ditch the chargers, and I can store a 2nd body.

I love this bag.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Any recommendations for a slim shoulder bag that would take, at most a 50D plus a 17-55mm f2.8? I have a shoulder bag that can fit that, as well as nearly every other lens. I just need something I can take down the street to force myself to take photos everyday!

I use to opt for a bright coloured 5 million crumpler. But nowadays I would recommend the Kata DC 435. If you want something light there is a billingham.

But they are more for XXXD, leicas and point and shoot. The 50D protrudes a tad too much :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ricepaddydaddy posted:

I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 when I'm just carrying my K10D and 18-55. I've never handled a 50D so I don't know if it would fit, but the Think Tank holsters are nice, IMO.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/holster-camera-bags.aspx

Lowepro also makes a line of holsters, among their toploaders. I have no experience with these bags.
http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm

I like the toploader / holster style when I'm just carrying my camera, I can pull it out pretty quickly and stuff it back down again easily. That's kinda the point of the design, so at least for me it seems to work.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

Lowepro also makes a line of holsters, among their toploaders. I have no experience with these bags.
http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm

I like the toploader / holster style when I'm just carrying my camera, I can pull it out pretty quickly and stuff it back down again easily. That's kinda the point of the design, so at least for me it seems to work.
I have a Lowepro toploader which I use when I don't feel like carrying a ton of gear and honestly, I find that my 7 Million messenger bag is as fast or faster because there's more room in the 7 Million so taking things in and out of it isn't as fiddly.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Got my flipside today. It's so boss.

Quality seems immense. Is a lot more sturdy than expected. Also the pull out waterproofing is such a great idea. It's weird how good it feels on your back, as it's quite heavy when packed to pick up but then once on your back it feels mega light. Loads and loads of space!

I would definitely recommend this bag. Especially for such a low price. I cannot see a single problem with it so far.

Also I was worried about the green colour (£20 cheaper so I was expecting it to be awful and obnoxious) but it's really unsaturated and actually really smart. Looks pretty good apart from the nerdy waist strap things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow that's bigger than I remember. How big is the secondary pouch?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It is a OK size. I could fit a couple of shirts in it and then like my lens pens/flash cards etc. There's also a pouch on each side that could hold like a fair sized bottle or whatever. And there's another few pouches in the main bag for more smaller stuff. Also there's a fold out tripod holder but I don't have a tripod to test it out.
I like that I can keep my lens hood on the 70-200 but don't know if it'll fit when I upgrade to the 2.8 IS?

E: I've also just noticed that the clip on the front of the bag clips out and makes the bag look a little bit more sleek. Very nice touch. I assume that's something to do with the tripod holder.

E2: I can fit my macbook in a neoprene sleeve in the front compartment which is cool.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 8, 2011

macx
Feb 3, 2005

A5H posted:

Looks pretty good apart from the nerdy waist strap things.

If you think it is light now, try using the nerdy waist strap things on your hips and let out the shoulder straps a bit. Us hikers have been doing that for years and it makes a world of difference if you are doing any serious walking with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sweet. I'll give it a go! Cheers man.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Been using my Crumpler for about a week now and I love this thing. It's not too big and fits my gear nicely. I have a grip on my D90 and it fits in there really well with plenty of room for other gear. At one point I had my D90 w/ grip and 18-105 mounted, 50mm 1.8, sb600, 2 Yongnuo 560, and my 13" macbook in there. It was stuffed but it all fit.

I'll normally be storing the camera, sb600, and spare lenses (ordering Tamron's 10-24 and 70-300 this week) and it should all fit in quite nicely. I'm going to get a dedicated lighting bag for my lightstands, umbrellas and 2 yongnuo flashes.

339of365 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 9, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What mugen gear have you been buying?

vvv Nice.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 8, 2011

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A5H posted:

What mugen gear have you been buying?
That's a box leftover from the GP's I had on my Civic Si.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
Are there any nice canvas or leather style cases other than Billingham bags? I'm looking for something to hold a 550D with the kit lense, preferably a similar size to my LowePro Rezo 120 AW but not black plastic/neoprene. Something I can throw over my shoulder and keep the bag under my arm/on my chest and take my camera out fairly quickly.

This is mostly a vain, aesthetic decision and I'm looking for the retro/classy Billingham style but I'm not too fussed on getting real leather and I don't want to pay £300, and I don't even think they make something the size that I want. Crumpler $3mil in beech/black is nice but something that looks a bit sturdier.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Are there any camera straps that aren't ugly and utterly utilitarian? Like actually cleverly designed and dare I say "cool" looking camera straps?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rorty posted:

Are there any nice canvas or leather style cases other than Billingham bags? I'm looking for something to hold a 550D with the kit lense, preferably a similar size to my LowePro Rezo 120 AW but not black plastic/neoprene. Something I can throw over my shoulder and keep the bag under my arm/on my chest and take my camera out fairly quickly.

This is mostly a vain, aesthetic decision and I'm looking for the retro/classy Billingham style but I'm not too fussed on getting real leather and I don't want to pay £300, and I don't even think they make something the size that I want. Crumpler $3mil in beech/black is nice but something that looks a bit sturdier.

You could find a leather laptop bag/briefcase and get some inserts, but that's about all that's coming to mind.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any camera straps that aren't ugly and utterly utilitarian? Like actually cleverly designed and dare I say "cool" looking camera straps?

I think the Blackrapid RS7 is pretty cool but that's just me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-The-Industry-Disgrace-Black/dp/B001K2GRYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297198843&sr=8-1
Like this? I think it's pretty cool V:saddowns:V

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ew. I've seen some that kind of look like guitar straps, one that was like a dookie gold rope but with little bits on the end to attach to a camera. I saw one once that had kind of a rastafarian-style print on it.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ew. I've seen some that kind of look like guitar straps, one that was like a dookie gold rope but with little bits on the end to attach to a camera. I saw one once that had kind of a rastafarian-style print on it.

Is there anything to stop you from actually using a guitar strap?

\/ \/ \/ I typed less!

subx fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 8, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Stab in the dark here but is there any way you could retrofit a guitar strap? Like feed a smaller bit of nylon through the loops for those... button things :saddowns: on guitars where they attach?

I know nothing about guitars, I'm just kind of thinking out loud here.

E: SUBX :argh:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Put split rings through the holes and tighten the strap way down?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really want a camo strap. Does that exist? Why isn't there a company knocking out straps? They'd be cheap to make and tons of idiots like me would buy them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Put split rings through the holes and tighten the strap way down?

That could work. I'd imagine there are also straps for smaller guitars/players that may be better suited for cameras.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I've always thought a clear strap would be cool.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've always thought a clear strap would be cool.

klaus nomi spotted

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/index.htm

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/index.htm

http://www.blackrapid.com/

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

hell yeah! thanks a lot man. Hopefully they'll be able to support my Pentax 67...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

klaus nomi spotted

Wouldn't a Klaus Nomi strap be like the Black Rapid double strap except with massive shoulder pads?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have a black rapid question. Does anyone here wear it with a backpack at the same time? Does it still work fine?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

I have a black rapid question. Does anyone here wear it with a backpack at the same time? Does it still work fine?

I wore an RS-7 while I had my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300AW on as well, if you put the backpack on first, then the strap, you should be OK. Guessing the backpack won't let it hang behind you though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thats fine I will be holding it on my side anyway. I wouldnt want a camera hanging on my back out in the open.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I met someone with this over the weekend. http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Innovative-Olympus-Panasonic-Fujifilm/dp/B003VGJ2LI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297205312&sr=8-2 It's the same idea as the black rapid but for $15. It looked pretty sturdy and was comfortable. The connector is bulky but allows for a tripod mount still.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

hell yeah! thanks a lot man. Hopefully they'll be able to support my Pentax 67...

I can't speak for the Gordy since I've never used one, and I dunno if the A&A strap is meant for something so heavy, but the Blackrapid absolutely can. It's fine on on a 5x7 Graflex SLR :sweatdrop:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I use a guitar strap right now for my cameras.

A pair of little S-Clips attaches it onto the camera. Looks better (in my opinion) and is far cheaper than most camera straps.

E: Something like these (although I got the clips locally and a similar but different strap for 4$ off amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/SB1-2PK-01-Size-1-S-Biner-Black-2-Pack/dp/B001DZNZZI/
http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-Polyester-Guitar-Hendrix/dp/B000E8W18W/

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I use a guitar strap right now for my cameras.

A pair of little S-Clips attaches it onto the camera. Looks better (in my opinion) and is far cheaper than most camera straps.

E: Something like these (although I got the clips locally and a similar but different strap for 4$ off amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/SB1-2PK-01-Size-1-S-Biner-Black-2-Pack/dp/B001DZNZZI/
http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-Polyester-Guitar-Hendrix/dp/B000E8W18W/

What camera are you using out of curiosity?

• Locked thread