Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area know if a great place to propose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

WaffleStomp posted:

We were aiming for some time in May 2012, and the places we looked at so far were Key West and Key Largo, but we'd be open to looking at other spots in Florida as well.

I'd suggest you look for some areas that are a bit further from the beaten path than the keys.

The Gulf Coast gets overlooked and has a lot of *very* nice beaches. By May everywhere in Florida will be warm, so Northwest Florida (Destin, Sandestin, Seaside, Pensacola Beach, etc.) is worth considering. The Tampa area also has a lot of nice beaches.

I'm getting married on Pensacola Beach in May 2012 (tentatively on May 5th), but that is partially because I grew up there and my dad has a house on the beach. We aren't really doing ours as a destination wedding (we're planning to set up the stuff on the beach ourselves and do the reception at the restaurant across the canal from my dad's house), so I am not much help on which hotels to go with in that area, but from poking around it looks like Portofino does do weddings and they should have very nice facilities. I can at least tell you whether a hotel is sketchy or not, though pretty much every hotel on the beach there now is nice (the couple of sketchy ones got taken out by hurricanes).

I had a friend get married destination wedding style near Tampa last year, and it was very nice, but I've got no clue the cost or which hotel it was at. I can try to find out for you if you'd like.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

I had a friend get married destination wedding style near Tampa last year, and it was very nice, but I've got no clue the cost or which hotel it was at. I can try to find out for you if you'd like.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, that alone is a huge help! My fiancee has family in Gainesville and is pretty familiar with that area, along with Tampa as well. If you could get more details about the Tampa wedding you mentioned, I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks again!

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area know if a great place to propose?

Ooh! Yes! Mr. hennypenny and I got engaged at South Mountains State Park, about an hour and change west of Charlotte in the foothills. If you're outdoor types, this place is the poo poo. Geologically, it's a part of the Appalachians that got cut off by the Catawba river. It's breathtakingly beautiful (I'm a sucker for waterfalls, and this place has tons) and nobody knows about it, so even on a nice summer day, it wasn't crowded like a lot of places in the mountains are. PM for pictures if you're interested.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

kitten princess posted:

I wasn't able to find any on ebay, but I did find it for ~$150 on another site, but with shipping it would still come to ~$175. I also looked at some other styles because she said that she was still looking, but I haven't been able to find anything similar to this one she loves.

Try Pearl's Place or Jay's Bridal for a lower price. I know a bunch of girls who ordered their wedding gowns & bridesmaid dresses through them and saved a lot of money.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

I'm getting married on Pensacola Beach in May 2012 (tentatively on May 5th)

I am so jealous. I grew up in Perdido and always said I was going to have my wedding somewhere in Pensacola. When it came down to planning there was no way we were going to be able to do it for under $5k, and to do what I wanted it was going to be over 10k, so we scrapped that. I think I'm going to have my bachelorette party down there. Do a little drink till you drowned at Emerald City, have some bushwakers on the boardwalk, and dance the night away at captain fun (yea I doubt any of those places are as cool as they were when I was 19 in 2004).

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Finally - finally - nailing down a reception venue. We're getting married the first week of August and have found four good sites in Orange County, CA that still have the date open.

Since they all have space for us, aside from cost, what kinds of things should we be considering?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Since they all have space for us, aside from cost, what kinds of things should we be considering?

What is/isn't included?
Do they have a list of certain caterers they allow or can you hire your own?
Does the venue include servers and bar tenders?
Are their any BS fees like cake cutting or cork fees?
Do you have access to the venue several hours/night before to decorate?
Any liquor restrictions?
Do you have to be out at a certain time? Is your party responsible for cleanup?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gravitee posted:

What is/isn't included?
Do they have a list of certain caterers they allow or can you hire your own?
Does the venue include servers and bar tenders?
Are their any BS fees like cake cutting or cork fees?
Do you have access to the venue several hours/night before to decorate?
Any liquor restrictions?
Do you have to be out at a certain time? Is your party responsible for cleanup?

Parking?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Gravitee posted:

What is/isn't included?

To expand on the included/not included list (since I didn't think about this stuff when I first started looking)
-Tables (number, size & shape)
-Chairs (are they awful metal folding chairs that you'll need to cover or are they somewhat decent looking?)
-Tablecloths/Napkins
-Plates/Silverware
-Available restrooms
-Lighting/Soundsystem (If you're looking at the venue during the day & your wedding will be at night, try to get some idea of what the lighting will be like. It could be very different.)
-Are open flames allowed? (I know a couple of girls who got all excited about these beautiful candle centerpieces & then found out that their venue didn't allow any candles to be lit)
-Will other weddings be booked on your day? (Could effect if you can come in early to DIY decorate)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

GoreJess posted:

To expand on the included/not included list (since I didn't think about this stuff when I first started looking)
-Tables (number, size & shape)
-Chairs (are they awful metal folding chairs that you'll need to cover or are they somewhat decent looking?)
-Tablecloths/Napkins
-Plates/Silverware
-Available restrooms
-Lighting/Soundsystem (If you're looking at the venue during the day & your wedding will be at night, try to get some idea of what the lighting will be like. It could be very different.)
-Are open flames allowed? (I know a couple of girls who got all excited about these beautiful candle centerpieces & then found out that their venue didn't allow any candles to be lit)
-Will other weddings be booked on your day? (Could effect if you can come in early to DIY decorate)

To expand:
Definitely parking
Weather friendly (in case of rain/wind/etc)

I don't know if anyone else was concerned, but I made sure to book a venue that had set up and clean up crews included. I didn't want to have to worry about decorating or setting up or cleaning up on my wedding day. All I had to do was tell the venue coordinator what I wanted done for the reception beforehand and she had her crews set it up. Didn't have to clean up either which was fantastic. It really was one less thing to worry about.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bahunter22 posted:

To expand:
Definitely parking
Weather friendly (in case of rain/wind/etc)

I don't know if anyone else was concerned, but I made sure to book a venue that had set up and clean up crews included. I didn't want to have to worry about decorating or setting up or cleaning up on my wedding day. All I had to do was tell the venue coordinator what I wanted done for the reception beforehand and she had her crews set it up. Didn't have to clean up either which was fantastic. It really was one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, that was one of the big perks with getting married at a hotel. They had a dedicated wedding coordinator that took care of all the vendor coordination the day of the wedding & made sure all my centerpieces/favors/photos/etc. got put out. I didn't have to worry about anything except getting my hair done & making it downstairs on time.

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
My fiance and I are thinking about getting married on Saturday, January 14th 2012. Part of the reason for that date is the 16th is Martin Luther King Jr's birthday so it's a 3 day weekend for people so traveling might be a little less stressful for some. Is there any reason such a date would be a BAD idea? It would be in Florida, so weather shouldn't be too much of an issue.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I got married on January 15th, which was a Saturday as well, and we had no issues. If anything, stuff was cheaper because it's the least common month to get married. We got a shitload of "HURR you'd better hope it doesn't snow!!!" comments, but having it in Florida should eliminate that for you.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

yawnie posted:

I got married on January 15th, which was a Saturday as well, and we had no issues. If anything, stuff was cheaper because it's the least common month to get married. We got a shitload of "HURR you'd better hope it doesn't snow!!!" comments, but having it in Florida should eliminate that for you.

My wife and I got married in January 14th 2007, in the Virginia mountains.

It was so nice we could have honestly had the wedding outdoors.

And I will second that having your wedding in January means that almost everything will be cheaper.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

UrbanFarmer posted:

My fiance and I are thinking about getting married on Saturday, January 14th 2012. Part of the reason for that date is the 16th is Martin Luther King Jr's birthday so it's a 3 day weekend for people so traveling might be a little less stressful for some. Is there any reason such a date would be a BAD idea? It would be in Florida, so weather shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I also got married on January 15th of this year, and it was great. It's long enough after the Christmas/New Year holidays that people get a bit of a break, and since it's January you get a ton of deals for doing things in the off-season.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I went through the first 20 pages, but I could not find any discussion on pre-nuptial agreements. Did I miss it?

Are their any good resources out there on what to look for and the process?

Most importantly, how do I bring this up to a very sensitive female?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Tai-Pan posted:

I went through the first 20 pages, but I could not find any discussion on pre-nuptial agreements. Did I miss it?

Are their any good resources out there on what to look for and the process?

How effective they are is going to vary state by state, so this might not be the best venue to find specifics about them.

From my understanding if you live in FL they basically don't function due to the state's laws.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

GEMorris posted:

From my understanding if you live in FL they basically don't function due to the state's laws.

Not entirely correct, but they aren't as effective as in other states. It's still a contract.

OP should ask in the Legal Questions mega-o-whammo thread.

quote:

Directly. Either she'll sign it and you're good, or she won't and you should run far far away.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There was some talk about a pre-nup for us (she's going to inherit a shitload more than I am) but we found out we were already "married" in the eyes of the (British Columbian) law by living together for more than a year.

I was willing to sign, but she never pushed for it.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
For me, the best way to present it is to recognize that marriage is a contract you are entering into, why wouldn't you want to define the terms of that contract before hand, instead of having lawyers and state lawmakers decide those terms for you? You already have to sign a marriage liscence, what's a few more papers for piece of mind? But I might be an emotionless robot for thinking so.

The other way to present the prenup is protection for both of you from your future selves. You, the person you are now, would never divorce your fianc(e), the person (s)he is now. But if down the road one of you changes so drastically that divorce is an option, you, the people you are now, should protect yourselves from that radically different person ruining your lives.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Also maybe do the rest of your legal poo poo at the same time such as wills and powers of attorney. So it's more of getting everything taken care of from a legal standpoint than just a prenuptial.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

CalamityKate posted:

Also maybe do the rest of your legal poo poo at the same time such as wills and powers of attorney. So it's more of getting everything taken care of from a legal standpoint than just a prenuptial.
Quoting for good advice! I brought up a prenup with my boyfriend and it was like a role-reversal: he's an heir to a lot of money, his family is loaded, he's more than well off and I'm pretty much 24/7 broke with no backup money. I want a prenup to protect us a bit, he didn't see a need. Had to use a whole hypothetical "what if I become a raging selfish bitch that tries to get all your money" and even so he doesn't care but I think these days it's just a smart move. Don't let love interfere with sense.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Does anyone here have experience with ordering from MoissaniteCo?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

CalamityKate posted:

Good advice all around. Thanks.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite

Silver Nitrate posted:

My boyfriend got me some earrings from MoissaniteCo. We are in Australia. Shipping was fast, customer service was great via email and the earrings were gorgeous. No complaints!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Silver Nitrate posted:

That's where I got the engagement ring. No problems.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

That's where I got the engagement ring. No problems.

Ditto, this is where my fiance picked mine up, and I think it is awesome. I get lots of compliments on my diamonds. ;)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Holy poo poo, so my partner and I just got engaged this week and the sheer scope of wedding things that we need to think about is getting pretty overwhelming! Oh man. Baby steps, though.

We've got a year to plan it, but we already know that we want it in Minneapolis. Anyone here from MN with ideas?

Also, these are the engagement rings we got. Neither of us really cares about having two different sets of rings, so these will probably be it for us.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Hey wedding thread. I may have just bought a dress :swoon:. Click for big:

More pictures here on the Etsy page.

The measurements are spot on so I'm hoping like crazy it fits. If not, I have a bit of excess around my waist at the moment that I'd be happy to lose, and if it's nowhere near fitting I can resell it. Worst case scenario I'm only out $120.

We had a bit of a shock the other day when we realised that with 70 guests (and that's after brutal cutting) it'll probably be an expensive exercise. One place quoted us $12k just for the reception :aaaaa:

Thankfully, we've found that one of our favourite cafe/restaurants can be hired out - they have a gorgeous big tree-lined courtyard out the back that they cover in fairy lights, the food is amazing and best of all it's $39 per head instead of over $100. Woohoo.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Hi all, I have a small problem.

Backstory: My sister is getting married in July, and I'm her brother. We currently live in different states and she's getting married to a guy that lives out where she lives. I have never met this guy except through skype a couple times.

Here is the problem: The guy wants me to be his best man :wtc:. Not only do I know next to nothing about this guy and his family and friends, I'm also a very shy and anti-social. I can see this being a disaster from miles away and wondering what I should do about it.

Should I tell him I'd make a horrible best man due to the reasons listed above and should find someone else? Or maybe I could get away with a crappy 5 minute speech?

What am I to do? :(

EDIT: I should mention that the wedding will probably have less than 50 people, probably not even 40 people.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
I've never been to a wedding where the best man's speech was anywhere near the 5-minute mark, if that helps any.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Jumpsuit posted:

Hey wedding thread. I may have just bought a dress :swoon:. Click for big:

More pictures here on the Etsy page.

The measurements are spot on so I'm hoping like crazy it fits. If not, I have a bit of excess around my waist at the moment that I'd be happy to lose, and if it's nowhere near fitting I can resell it. Worst case scenario I'm only out $120.

We had a bit of a shock the other day when we realised that with 70 guests (and that's after brutal cutting) it'll probably be an expensive exercise. One place quoted us $12k just for the reception :aaaaa:

Thankfully, we've found that one of our favourite cafe/restaurants can be hired out - they have a gorgeous big tree-lined courtyard out the back that they cover in fairy lights, the food is amazing and best of all it's $39 per head instead of over $100. Woohoo.
Jumpsuit, you're Australian aren't you? In Perth? Which place are you talking about? It sounds like where we're going to have ours, but it's costing us 79$ a head.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Brisbane, sorry! I did just find out that this place has a $350 surcharge for weddings but it's still working out to be a lot cheaper than other options.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
Ahhh! We're having ours at tsunami sushi, and they have a "garden area" exactly like you described!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Just picked up a ring... 3 stones totaling 2 ct (1 + .5 + .5) about $10k.

She helped pick it... so it she better not act TOOO surprised.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

ijii posted:

Hi all, I have a small problem.

What am I to do? :(

You might be over thinking it. Assuming you would be in the wedding anyway since it is your sister, here are your additional duties as Best Man.

- Keep her ring to hand to him at the right time (tip, keep it on your little finger, not in your pocket so you aren't fumbling for it)
- A toast. It could be as simple as this:

"I'm so glad to see all of you here to celebrate the marriage/joining/union of Bob and Suzy. Please enjoy the day with us, now let's have a toast; To Bob and Suzy!

No one will care if you don't go on for several minutes. It is also nice if you keep an eye on the bride, groom and mother of the bride at the reception. Usually there is a non-stop line of people talking to them and they might like a glass of water or a half of sandwich if they can't get away to get one themselves.

That's all there is to it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
So I read up a little more about the role of best man. It appears a speech is the least of my worries. I forgot to mention that I've never been to a wedding so I'm completely clueless how it will all go down. Anyways, here's a checklist for a best man and how I stand up to it:

Before the Wedding
* Arrange for the bachelors dinner and, or party
I don't live where they live, so this is impossible.
* Select a gift for the groom
I don't know anything about the groom...
* Act as a liaison for the grooms friends and family
Never seen any of them.
* Confirm honeymoon travel arrangements
What?
* Provide transportation for the groom to get to the ceremony and from the ceremony to the reception
Are they really expecting me to help out here considering I don't even know the area or live anywhere close to it?

Before Leaving to the Wedding Ceremony

* Help the groom dress and finish packing
* Insure that the car is packed for the honeymoon
* Gas in the grooms car and or the honeymoon car
* Wedding Ring
* Travel Tickets, Passport, ID, etc

Easy enough.
* Reception Speech
I guess I can do this.
* Car Keys
* Money/ Travelers Checks
What's this?
* Handkerchief
* Any gifts or acknowledgments
Again with the gifts, for the groom? Is this really necessary? Not being a cheapass here, but I don't know anything about the groom.
* Checkbook or credit card for any needed payments

Before Walking Down the Aisle and After the Ceremony

* Ensure that the groom
* Uses the restroom
* Shoes are tied
* Pant's fly is up
* Face and hair are in order
* If vows are written, that they are on him
* Nothing is between his teeth
* Fear and second thoughts are calmed and put to rest
* Wedding ring is with the Best Man
* Signs the Marriage license
* Pays the clergy fee

This is the easy part.

Why doesn't he choose his brother or father for these tasks? I'm just a little frustrated that he wants me to be the best man. Not only that, is it even normal to be the best man when my sister is the bride?

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Maybe it was your sister's idea for him to ask you in the first place?

My husband was the best man at his nephew's wedding and we lived across the country from them at the time. It basically boiled down to my husband taking care of the day of wedding duties and one of the groomsman did all the pre-wedding stuff like bachelor parties. Wasn't too big a deal in the end, so you are probably over thinking this. You really need to talk to your future brother in law and find out what exactly he is expecting of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

ijii posted:

Why doesn't he choose his brother or father for these tasks? I'm just a little frustrated that he wants me to be the best man. Not only that, is it even normal to be the best man when my sister is the bride?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. This is just a list of stuff that the Best Man is sometimes expected to do. Why not ask him / your sister what they'd be expecting of you, because you're nervous you'll gently caress it up or miss somethin? Just be honest with him--or if not him, with her, if you feel more comfortable talking to her--and get a list of ACTUAL expectations. I bet his friends are already arranging a bachelor's party, I bet they have transportation to the ceremony on lockdown, etc. ASK. Don't freak yourself out with lists compiled by wedding planners that only apply to hyper-formal weddings that no one has in real life.

I mean, handkerchief? Really? No.