Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I use it on my Canon xsi (450) and my Contax 167MT. The SClips make it easily transferable between the two hehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A5H posted:

I really want a camo strap. Does that exist? Why isn't there a company knocking out straps? They'd be cheap to make and tons of idiots like me would buy them.
Several people here have mentioned adapting a rifle sling to camera use. They come in camo. Also, I'm sure actual camera straps are available in camo.

If your goal is "not ugly, not utilitarian", a camo strap will not meet that goal. Unless you're actually hunting / hiding from the law.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking at buying a Domke F-5XB (http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-5XB-Shoulder-Belt-Sand/dp/B0009PATZ2/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1297220016&sr=1-10) and am wondering if it might be too small. I plan to be carrying a Canon 20D with a 50mm attached and possibly a 70-200 f/4L. Anyone have this bag and know if it's good for my needs?

Also those Artisan & Artist straps look great but they look like they're more for rangefinders. Are any of them besides the mega expensive silk one good for dSLR's? I'm really liking the cloth strap.

birds fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 9, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

taste posted:

I'm looking at buying a Domke F-5XB (http://www.amazon.com/Domke-F-5XB-Shoulder-Belt-Sand/dp/B0009PATZ2/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1297220016&sr=1-10) and am wondering if it might be too small. I plan to be carrying a Canon 20D with a 50mm attached and possibly a 70-200 f/4L. Anyone have this bag and know if it's good for my needs?

Also those Artisan & Artist straps look great but they look like they're more for rangefinders. Are any of them besides the mega expensive silk one good for dSLR's?
http://cambags.com/bag-type/shoulder-bags-menu/domke-shoulder-bags/item/403-domke-f-5xb.html

I doubt it'll fit a 70-200. If you need that and want a Domke bag consider the F-3xb.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

keyframe posted:

I have a black rapid question. Does anyone here wear it with a backpack at the same time? Does it still work fine?

For me, yes to both. I'm 6'1 and my backpack is just above my belt and my camera hangs at about my hip - just lower than my belt. I've also done the same with a shoulder bag, but they hang about the same length and bump into each other if they're on the same side

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Some people asked about a nice bag that holds a 70-200 and I recommended the Think Tank Retrospective 20, but I was too lazy to take a few pics, but now I have!

Fairly quick job obviously, but gives a decent idea:

Outside:

Inside:

(crappy phone pic of 70-200 attached to camera)

Pros: All kinds of stuff
- I love the way it looks. You don't feel goofy carrying it into nice places
- It's really well built, there's no crappy parts that feel like a weak point that a lot of bags have
- Every pouch has velcro if you need to put something in them that could fall out (literally every pouch/pocket)
- Every said pouch also has some sort of silencer or way to not use said velcro
- The strap is really nice, it's heavily padded and has grips
- Expands as you add gear, so it looks nice either lightly or heavily loaded
- Has a couple places for a netbook, iPad or something around that size
- Holds a ton of poo poo, I can fit 2 flashes, a 90mm macro, 35mm 1.8, 18-105 kit lens, and my 70-200 with camera attached with plenty of room to spare. I don't have a grip on the camera, but it would not have any problem adding that or a pro-camera + grip

Cons:
- Not really made to hold a full size laptop, netbook is about as much as you will be able to get in there
- No tripod holder built in. You can easily put a monopod under the flap and it holds fine, or do what I did and use a carabiner to give you something to attach things too (wouldn't work so well with a large tripod since it would be bouncing around)
- The velcro when not silenced is really loud (good thing in that it holds everything in though)

That's about the only negatives I've had with it so far, but I knew all of them when I bought it since I played with the Retrospective 10 before I ordered the 20.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a crumpler industry disgrace strap (which is fantastic, although I might toss it in the washer a couple times so the whole thing softens up), are there any photo gear-specific rings or snaps or something that I can use to make it quick disconnect, or at the very least let the strap ends on the camera drape off a little easier?
If all else fails, I'll probably just pick up two smallish split rings and use them, but I'm assuming there's a product that does this slightly more elegantly.

e: something like this would absolutely rock:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 9, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You have to be careful with clips because some of them can actually undo themselves when the object they're holding is rotated.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also they'll scratch the hell out of your camera.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Several people here have mentioned adapting a rifle sling to camera use. They come in camo. Also, I'm sure actual camera straps are available in camo.

If your goal is "not ugly, not utilitarian", a camo strap will not meet that goal. Unless you're actually hunting / hiding from the law.

That wasn't me. I don't care if it's ugly and obnoxious.
My ideal strap would be pink bape camo and it would own :colbert:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a crumpler industry disgrace strap (which is fantastic, although I might toss it in the washer a couple times so the whole thing softens up)

In 2 years I have not washed my industry disgrace. The multi tone grey camo print is becoming a monotone of dirt. Maybe I should call my strap the goon hygiene disgrace :barf:

A5H posted:

:pcgaming:pink babe camo :pcgaming:

Oh yes :hfive: I also wish you can take your lenses to some professional and do a custom paint job/decals on all your gear. Limited edition Bapesta telezooms with crazy camera colours!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

caberham posted:

Oh yes :hfive: I also wish you can take your lenses to some professional and do a custom paint job/decals on all your gear. Limited edition Bapesta telezooms with crazy camera colours!

That's a good idea. I'm literally going to get a mate to cut me some bape camo vinyl right now and cover my 70-200 myself.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
Here is a normal woodland camo strap:

http://highkeycamera.com/products/woodland-shooter

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What do you guys think of the Kata 123 GO 20 bag? I am about to pull the trigger on one unless there is something wrong with them I should know about.

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=photo&p_Id=19767

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Well since nobody replied I went ahead and got it. After using it for a day I can say it rocks. Highly recommended.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm looking for an every day bag. Something small, comfortable and inconspicuous. I shoot micro 4/3, so my gear does not take up a huge amount of space. It needs to carry an iPad, my little Yashica electro gx rangefinder, GH2 with 20mm/1.7 pancake attached, and maybe 2 other lenses (nikon 55 1.2 and leica 90mm 2.8)

I currently lug everything around in an army surplus paratrooper bag like this one but I have to keep everything in separate cases, and it takes forever to just pull out a camera and start shooting. I considered just getting a domke insert for it, but that doesn't provide any weatherproofing, and it's just an unlined cotton canvas bag.

I think the retrospective 10 is probably too big and padded for the stuff I carry. I've been looking at the Domke f803, but I'm concerned that the only place to put the ipad is in the back pocket which has no closure of any kind. Any ideas?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm looking for an every day bag. Something small, comfortable and inconspicuous. I shoot micro 4/3, so my gear does not take up a huge amount of space. It needs to carry an iPad, my little Yashica electro gx rangefinder, GH2 with 20mm/1.7 pancake attached, and maybe 2 other lenses (nikon 55 1.2 and leica 90mm 2.8)

I currently lug everything around in an army surplus paratrooper bag like this one but I have to keep everything in separate cases, and it takes forever to just pull out a camera and start shooting. I considered just getting a domke insert for it, but that doesn't provide any weatherproofing, and it's just an unlined cotton canvas bag.

I think the retrospective 10 is probably too big and padded for the stuff I carry. I've been looking at the Domke f803, but I'm concerned that the only place to put the ipad is in the back pocket which has no closure of any kind. Any ideas?

Sporting goods stores sell aerosol cans of waterproofing spray pretty cheap and if nothing else, that should help take care of worries about your current bag.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I got sick of lugging around my laptop bag and camera poo poo so I combined the two, super giddy I ordered from thinktank sunday night, figuring they'd ship it monday, it'd get here by today. Mother fuckers waited two days before shipping my bag and now I won't have it until monday :( Its not like they have to build them on the spot... When we get an order at my company, we send it out the same goddamn day, and we have to assemble poo poo custom.

Either way, I'm stoked on my new urban disguise bag, I got the extra straps for my tripod, but should've thought to get the thing that converts it into a backpack style bag too...oh well.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

A5H posted:

I really want a camo strap. Does that exist? Why isn't there a company knocking out straps? They'd be cheap to make and tons of idiots like me would buy them.

A5H posted:

That wasn't me. I don't care if it's ugly and obnoxious.
My ideal strap would be pink bape camo and it would own :colbert:

The power of Google beckons you to ask the very same question and be amazed by the answers you receive.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 25, 2011

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

subx posted:

Some people asked about a nice bag that holds a 70-200 and I recommended the Think Tank Retrospective 20, but I was too lazy to take a few pics, but now I have!

That's about the only negatives I've had with it so far, but I knew all of them when I bought it since I played with the Retrospective 10 before I ordered the 20.

Would a few books fit in it? I'm considering getting one, but it should hold a few books (as I would be using it at the university) and a 50D with accessories.

azathosk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 26, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

azathosk posted:

Would a few books fit in it? I'm considering getting one, but it should hold a few books (as I would be using it at the university) and a 50D with accessories.

Like textbook size books? It would hold one or two if you remove one of the inserts, depending on how thick they are. I know when I was in college my some of my books barely fit in a full size backpack, so you'd have to be more specific.

It holds paperback size books just fine in the front section as I put them in there all the time.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I have a Lowepro Zoom 50 AW I got with my 550d and it's pretty good. I removed the divider and can fit my 550d with 18-55mm kit lens in first then fit the 55-250mm on top and shut the top. Just using the stock EOS strap with my camera. When I get my tripod I'll probably get a Lowepro Vertex afterwards for longer trips where I'll bike to get to my location, so being able to secure my tripod will be important.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

azathosk posted:

I have a Retrospective 30, and the way I have it configured you could get some textbooks in there but not anything bigger then say a thick 6X9hard cover. If I took out the flash and 10-22 I could move the camera further over and you defiantly get bigger books in there.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Ferris Bueller posted:

I have a Retrospective 30, and the way I have it configured you could get some textbooks in there but not anything bigger then say a thick 6X9hard cover. If I took out the flash and 10-22 I could move the camera further over and you defiantly get bigger books in there.

Yea, that's a good point, the 30 is wider so might be a bit more effective for textbooks.

You definitely need to go to a shop or something and try them out. I would say that for any bag, especially if you are using it for more than the normal camera+lens+flash.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Got my ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 and its loving awesome. Exactly what I thought it'd be and more. Just don't know what I'll do if I buy any more lenses...but I don't think I'll need any more lenses until I get better at photography in general. I'm just glad to have my laptop and camera in one nice looking bag all incognito.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

I've been very pleased with my Crumpler 5 million dollar home. The materials and construction are sturdy and the layout speaks of a lot of forethought and planning during the design phase.

I just managed to fit all this gear into it:
Nikon D90 with 80-200mm f/2.8 mounted
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6
50mm f/1.8
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Two polarising filters (67 and 77) in protective cases
Two extra memory cards
A bag of silica gel

It's snug and weighs a ton for such a tiny package, but everything is separated by padding and feels secure. I feel like everything inside would survive a drop from chest height, but I'm not going to test it out. :)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

This bag looks really really good.

http://www.burton.com/mens-bags-luggage-packs-f-stop-pack/236550,default,pd.html

I think I might actually buy it at that price and sell my vanguard. Only thing I would prefer is a brightly coloured interior.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Fists Up posted:

This bag looks really really good.

http://www.burton.com/mens-bags-luggage-packs-f-stop-pack/236550,default,pd.html

I think I might actually buy it at that price and sell my vanguard. Only thing I would prefer is a brightly coloured interior.

You might seriously look into the F-stop Loka as well then or Tilopa depending on what size you need.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a Tilopa back country and it has been a fantastic bag, there a few nit picks I have with it but overall I have been happy with it. I have been meaning to write up a review one of these days.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know if a 7D with a grip will fit in a Retrospective 10 comfortably?

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2011

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

subx posted:

Yea, that's a good point, the 30 is wider so might be a bit more effective for textbooks.

You definitely need to go to a shop or something and try them out. I would say that for any bag, especially if you are using it for more than the normal camera+lens+flash.

I think I will do that. Thanks for all the advice though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OneZeroSix posted:

Someone posted this bag in the Canon thread:

Ona Union Station Bag

Mine's on the way! :dance:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
drat, that is sharp...Almost makes me regret my thinktank urban disguise, except the think tank works more for my Job. But..drat that looks nice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know if a 7D with a grip will fit in a Retrospective 10 comfortably?

I have a 5dii w/grip, and it fits snugly in my Retrospective 10.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I have a 5dii w/grip, and it fits snugly in my Retrospective 10.

Awesome, thanks!

And on that note, anyone know if the Ona bag can fit a camera with a grip? Doesn't look like it but then neither does the Retrospective.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 11, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Awesome, thanks!

And on that note, anyone know if the Ona bag can fit a camera with a grip? Doesn't look like it but then neither does the Retrospective.

Huh? I have a gripped D700 in my retrospective 20 right now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Huh? I have a gripped D700 in my retrospective 20 right now.

Yeah, I was saying that it doesn't look like it would fit but someone posted like five posts back that it does so I was wondering if the Ona was the same situation.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
OH that makes sense.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
Just got a Black and Tan Billingham Hadley Pro in the mail today. Worth every penny looking at the materials and fit and finish.

Can post some detailed pictures if anyone is interested in this bag. Was kind of hard finding detailed pictures on google when I was researching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just noticed this with my little TLR/spotmeter bag when I got home from a shoot today:

:pwn: by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

• Locked thread