Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I finished reading the Dark Nest in TBB thread. I'll be talking more about that book in that thread, but there are a few things that I want to mention.

First, the series utterly failed to make me care for the story that was being presented. This is mainly because the book couldn't decide who I was supposed to care about. It's also a failure to explain the behavior of any of the characters. Every scene is boring, even when there's supposed to be something exciting happening. Every attempt at foreshadowing just results in blatently telegraphing the direction the book is going to take. And the final book is resolved really clumsily. Plot threads are either left hanging or lead to dead ends. The main plot is resolved with heapings of hypocrisy and hand-waves.

e: page snipe. Here's the first image I got when I typed "bug orgy" in GIS:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's pretty much the reason I haven't even cracked open the FotJ books. Troy Denning, you did it, you (and Karen Traviss) managed to do what George Lucas and Kevin J. Anderson could not and made me stop spending money on the Star Wars franchise.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

movax posted:

Also, some of the Hutts are actually...kind of likeable. From the retard Kibbick, who think humans gestate from larvae/eggs to Jabba-gems like
I actually really liked the implication that Ylesia was a turnkey operation that the Besaadi(?) family sent all their retard relatives to so they were out of the way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

arioch posted:

It's pretty much the reason I haven't even cracked open the FotJ books. Troy Denning, you did it, you (and Karen Traviss) managed to do what George Lucas and Kevin J. Anderson could not and made me stop spending money on the Star Wars franchise.

I have said it a thousand times. They should reset the post ROTJ EU back to the end of The Unifying Force and start from there again. Forget ALL of the DNT and LoTF.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have said it a thousand times. They should reset the post ROTJ EU back to the end of The Unifying Force and start from there again. Forget ALL of the DNT and LoTF.

It isn't like we'll lose anything important, aside from hundreds of violent meaningless minor character deaths for drama.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

After all the whining about the NJO it's hilarious that they managed to go above and beyond everything that was wrong with it, and now we'd all rather be back there again. Zahn really needs to write a post-FOTJ book and kill off a bunch of other author's characters as payback for what happened to a bunch of his.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I personally enjoyed the NJO and, more importantly, it did EXACTLY what the EU needed, in that it was a transition from the "Old Guard" of the Big Three to well...The New Jedi Order. Everything was set up for the Big Three to take a secondary role as the new heroes from the NJO take center stage. The only thing I would change is that Jacen died rather than Anakin. Either way, I expected Jacen to be the new hero with Ben as his Padawan, going around on new smaller scale adventures.

But with DNT and Legacy of the Force they completely threw all that away and we are in exactly the same position with the Big Three being everything, with all the important secondary characters now dead. They retocnned Jacen into a lovely sith and killed him, and ruined almost everyone else.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

To me NJO was the beginning of the end. The EU didn't need a grimdark dark war worse than all previous star wars combined.

NJO should have been the various EU characters going around on "new smaller scale adventures".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

I actually really liked the implication that Ylesia was a turnkey operation that the Besaadi(?) family sent all their retard relatives to so they were out of the way.

Yep - it's a great little trilogy that spans (literally) a decade in the life of Han Solo & friends. It's very OT-like (obviously), with pretty much zero Jedi/Force presence in the books. One could argue that that's what defines Star Wars, but the Han trilogy did pretty good without it. (Granted, you could almost do a Find & Replace on character and faction names and end up with decent sci-fi, but using the Star Wars setting and characters does a lot).

And yeah, it's the Besadi clan that runs Ylesia/provides the slaves for the Empire. Jabba's is Desilijic. It's kind of :3: how fond he is of Han as an employee in these books.

e: and little touches like this:

quote:

The Corellian fingered the newly healed knife-wound on his chin. He'd never had time to get it properly treated and it had healed with a noticeable scar. He wondered whether he should get it removed…

NJO can go get bent, gently caress that poo poo.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2011

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Splintered Penis posted:

Is it fair game, then, to point out how odd it is that there appear to be a total of two black humans in the entirety of the universe, or would that be bringing racial politics into things unnecessarily?

Captain Panaka makes three.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Suenteus Po posted:

Let's see, Lando, Windu, and Panaka make 3. There's also numerous background characters like Grizz Frix (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grizz_Frix), Arven Wendik (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arven_Wendik), and Achk Med-Beq (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Achk_Med-Beq).

But basically, yeah.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There was also Captain Tycho

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was also Captain Tycho

As I recall, Typho (not Tycho, unless you're thinking of the A-Wing pilot from Rogue Squadron) is played by a Maori actor.

Race is such a vague concept anyway, though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah Typho.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
No gays in Star Wars? Uhh... hello:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Suenteus Po posted:

NGL posted:

As I recall, Typho is played by a Maori actor.

Panaka is Typho's uncle... so therefore logic dictates that all the clones, Boba and Jango.

See- plenty of 'Black' men, but where da sistas at?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Wookiepedia, you've outdone yourself

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn's_first_apprentice

This literally has no reason to be an article.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Locutus Of Bored posted:

AFAIK all that information is already in Qui-Gon's article, so why is a separate article even necessary? :psyduck: This bothers me more than the fact that there's an entry for breasts.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Locutus Of Bored posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn%27s_first_apprentice

That doesn't even scratch the surface of some of the ridiculous articles on Wookiepedia. This one? It was mentioned as part of one sentence. That's it. It was just casually mentioned once.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I like Qui-Gon's entry:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn

Because when you scroll downwards, the blatant book cover photoshopping of Liam Neeson is obvious as the two images are right beside each other.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Wait a minute, so Qui-Gon appears to Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, but Obi-Wan seems surprised at the end of Sith when Yoda tells him that Force Ghosts exist because Qui-Gon invented them.

Shouldn't he already know?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Wait a minute, so Qui-Gon appears to Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, but Obi-Wan seems surprised at the end of Sith when Yoda tells him that Force Ghosts exist because Qui-Gon invented them.

Obi-Wan also had fond memories of an apparent "friendship" with Anakin. It's best not to dwell on these things.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Locutus Of Bored posted:

There are featured articles that consist of objects or individuals that show up for a few paragraphs, and three quarters of the article is background on the Galactic Civil War or the Imperial Navy or whatever that is so obviously just there to puff the article up to sufficient length to nominate it for featured article.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Obi-Wan also had fond memories of an apparent "friendship" with Anakin. It's best not to dwell on these things.
Beyond that you're watching Clone Wars, not a lot of critical thinking going on there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Wasn't that a mirage by the son of that guy in that episode?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

He appears in a vision, on a 'dream/force convergence' planet. Obi Wan can't be sure it's really Qui Gon. Ahsoka gets a visit from her future self in the same room.

It was very cool to hear Liams voice playing the character, but wasn't worth the absolute poo poo pair of episodes that featured him.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

I know this was from ten pages back but I just thought of something.

Pope Mobile posted:

E: Screw re-writing the PT, let's make a goon EU pentalogy with the most insane poo poo possible: a guy whose fingers & toes are all lightsabers; more force sensitive droids; enemies more powerful than the Yuuzhan Vong; Chewie reappears in force-ghost form; Luke travels back in time to fight Malak but ends up in an alternate universe that turns out to be 13th century Spiain.

Shortly before ROTJ, Palpatine created a clone of Obi-Wan named Obi-Too and trained him as a Sith in hopes that he could be used to corrupt Luke. In the first novel, the post-ROTJ Imperials learn of the clone and send him to destroy the Rebels. In the fourth novel, Luke finally kills him and the book ends with his Obi-Too-ary being read at a Mofference.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

No gays in Star Wars? Uhh... hello:

How is R2 not female? She's a moody bitch who speaks in high-pitched beeps and her best friend is a flaming homo in gold plating. Also she's scheming like there's no tomorrow.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

BonHair posted:

How is R2 not female? She's a moody bitch who speaks in high-pitched beeps and her best friend is a flaming homo in gold plating. Also she's scheming like there's no tomorrow.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
^^^ NSFW that poo poo, dude.

TheBigBad posted:

Panaka is Typho's uncle... so therefore logic dictates that all the clones, Boba and Jango.

See- plenty of 'Black' men, but where da sistas at?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shalla_Nelprin

"I don't think anyone could kill a Wookiee hand to hand, sir. But she comes closer than anyone I've seen." :black101:

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 9, 2011

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Pops Mgee posted:

Well now this is just getting erotic.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

^^^ NSFW that poo poo, dude.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shalla_Nelprin

"I don't think anyone could kill a Wookiee hand to hand, sir. But she comes closer than anyone I've seen." :black101:

Better quote:

"I don't think anyobe gould gill a Wookiee habd to habd, sir. But she gomes gloser than anyobe I'be seen." (she broke the dude's nose)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jigoku San posted:

To me NJO was the beginning of the end. The EU didn't need a grimdark dark war worse than all previous star wars combined.

NJO should have been the various EU characters going around on "new smaller scale adventures".
I tried to read Vector Prime, but just couldn't bring myself to finish it; I think I got about halfway through and then put it away forever. Previously, I had managed to get through the Black Fleet trilogy. I had managed to get through the Corellian trilogy. I had even managed to get through the goddamn Bounty Hunter trilogy. But it was too much for me to at least wrap up this single book before giving up on the NJO series altogether. Everything about it rubbed me the wrong way, but above all the Yuuzhan Vong whom I felt to be entirely out of place in Star Wars and generally ludicrous besides (an entire extra-galactic civilisation based on pain worship and self-mutilation, that also happens to be immune to the Force?). The only books I've read after that were New Republic books I hadn't yet come to, with one or two exceptions (Outbound Flight and one book about Darth Maul, which wasn't too bad, and also happens to be the only prequel novel I've bothered with).

that awful man posted:

Shortly before ROTJ, Palpatine created a clone of Obi-Wan named Obi-Too and trained him as a Sith in hopes that he could be used to corrupt Luke. In the first novel, the post-ROTJ Imperials learn of the clone and send him to destroy the Rebels. In the fourth novel, Luke finally kills him and the book ends with his Obi-Too-ary being read at a Mofference.
Fun fact: when Timothy Zahn was working on Heir to the Empire, he wanted to include a mad Obi-wan clone who'd survived the Clone Wars. LucasFilm wouldn't have any of that, so Zahn changed the clone into Joruus C'Baoth.

Pops Mgee posted:

Hermadroidite.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Hutts are also hermaphrodites. :eng99:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
Excuse me? Force Ghost Chewie? Why the gently caress would Chewbacca need a force ghost? Chewbacca caught that loving moon. Chewie stood there for 15 hours single-handedly holding that moon and that planet apart with the sheer strength of his muscles. In the end, with the last bit of strength he threw that loving moon back up into the air. This bought him enough time to get to the nearest spaceport, hotwire a ship, and get out of there before the moon came crashing back down. The reason he never went back to Han is because he's Chew-motherfucking-bacca, and he was sick and tired of being used as a loving babysitter for a trio of little rear end in a top hat kids. Chewbacca spends his days training guerrillas in the fine art of kicking rear end for freedom, and eagerly awaits the day when he can assist one of his many groups of students in overthrowing a corrupt regime.

Edit: He also had enough time after throwing the moon back to seek out that Dovin Basil, tear out whatever passes for a heart in that thing, and eat it before heading to the spaceport. No one fucks with Chewbacca and gets away with it.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2011

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

RedTeam posted:

Little bit :ohdear:

Something different: Watched the animated clone wars film last night and I was curious who did the voice acting for Ziro the Hutt. So a spot of wookiepedia later and I find out that Sy Snootles (Horrible CGI singer from Jabbas Palace), was romantically involved with Ziro and eventually killed him.

What the hell? Is the whole Clone Wars series full of stuff like this? Cameos from stupid niche characters I mean.

That was an extremely fun and quirky episode, and I want a Ziro action figure. :colbert:

As for niche characters, so far we've seen Greedo and Baron "Lucas cameo" Papanoida (in the same episode, no less), but I think that's pretty much it.

Also, the animated film is rather weak compared to some of the later episodes, both story-, acting- and animation-wise.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Ziro is awesome, but... Sy Snootles? That song and dance ohrwurm has scared me for life. :ohdear:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Gays in Star Wars? Get a load of that codpiece.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Gays in Star Wars? Get a load of that codpiece.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode. "I don't remember crotch plating being that big..."

Some day, like Barney, I will have a set of armor that is displayed proudly in the living room of my swingin' bachelor pad. :colbert:

e: I feel remiss if I don't mention this exchange from HIMYM as well:
Girl #1: Man, I don't know if you guys have seen Star Wars, but it's like Hoth out there!
Ted: Dibs.
Girl #2: Yeah, it reminds me of sledding with my dad....before he left.
Barney: Dibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

movax posted:

Yep - it's a great little trilogy that spans (literally) a decade in the life of Han Solo & friends. It's very OT-like (obviously), with pretty much zero Jedi/Force presence in the books. One could argue that that's what defines Star Wars, but the Han trilogy did pretty good without it. (Granted, you could almost do a Find & Replace on character and faction names and end up with decent sci-fi, but using the Star Wars setting and characters does a lot).

I just started reading this again and it strikes me that the author was a really nice guy for including bit characters from so many of the books that preceeded it, even if they were poo poo like The Crystal Star, and doing it really unobtrusively.