Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
So no other aRPG suggestions then? I gave Borderlands another go this afternoon since I still have it, but I get to Bone Head or whatever the second boss' name is and get bored of the pluck-and-cover necessary to advance. Also, killing increasingly difficult coyote things, spider things and mercenaries just doesn't seem varied enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

doctor iono posted:

Also, are there any 4e games out there? (Don't say WoW :v:)

There's one 4e game in development. And it's an MMO. Set in Neverwinter. And done by Cryptic.
:negative:

4e would be the perfect ruleset for a tactical RPG but Wizards doesn't really understand computers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cowcatcher posted:

I'm looking for a strategy-ish game to play on a lunch break. Had a lot of fun with Desktop Dungeons and Revenge of the Titans.

Jive One posted:

Maybe try Weird Worlds. It's specifically designed to be played in short 15-30 minute runs.

If there's a way to get it without spending $25, I'd pick this up in a second. Shrapnel, Weird Worlds is hella old, put it on Steam for a decent price already!

However, the first game, Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, is very similar, very good, and very free.

Oasis is an excellent game that never got enough love. In my view, if Desktop Dungeons is a puzzly homage to roguelikes, Oasis is a great boiled down 4X, like Civilization. Like Shrapnel, Mind Control doesn't seem to want to put this marvelous game on Steam. It's $20, and frankly, worth it, but you can find it at random stores for about $10 or less. Reviewed.

There's also Bronze, a newcomer with some real promise, haven't played it much myself, but it looks very good. Sadly, it's also a Shrapnel game, and will probably languish in obscurity.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Commandos is almost more of a puzzle game, but if "Finding the perfect way to complete a level" is your goal, then it's great for that. The entire game is about studying the enemy unit's patterns and using the individual abilities of each of your commandos to accomplish the level objectives (which are always something more interesting than "kill all the dudes").

*edit* you can find all 3 games on gog.com, but I've only played the first so I can't attest to the quality of the sequels.

Commandos 2 is actually pretty drat good, expands on the mechanics of the first game and makes for much more versatile levels and approaches to objectives. 3 is pretty much just more missions on the same engine as 2.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

doctor iono posted:

This is less of a game recommendation question and more of a game advice question, but I tried playing Baldur's Gate II and I found it pretty confusing, difficult, and vague. Should I go back and play the first one? I've played plenty of classic RPGs before - Planescape, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, etc. - but something about BG's old-school DND (is that 2nd edition?) mechanics just killed me.

Don't play BG1, it's worse than BG2 in every single way possible. BG2 uses 2nd edition AD&D rules, and yes, they're horrible and confusing. No way around it, I'm afraid.

quote:

Also, are there any 4e games out there? (Don't say WoW :v:)

Not yet :(

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I've been trying to find a really spergy kind of sim that isn't a flight sim. Not really something that lets me live out my dream of being a Tokyo bus driver, but something that lets me gently caress up in a very realistic environment. Stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 would count as well, just because of the level of detail.

Age doesn't really matter, as long as I'm not playing in pre-VGA or something.

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield is a pretty old tactical FPS, where you play as an anti-terrorist squad. It lets you plan your assaults in detail with multiple teams working together, compare statistics of your operatives capabilities, equip them with a multitude of modifiable weaponry and fail missions because you made too much noise and the suspects decided to execute the hostages.

ARMA II, and it's older predecessor, Operation: Flashpoint are similar shooters focused on military combat with both infantry and vehicle combat. I've only played OFP but it lets you die suddenly and unexpectedly as a regular G.I, helicopter pilot, tank commander or a black ops soldier infiltrating an enemy base at night with only a silenced MP5 and satchel charges.

Other games not quite as comprehensive but worth cheching out in this genre is Vietcong(the first one) and Ghost Recon(also the first one).

I don't know where you live, and if these games are available everywhere, but in Europe we have these low-budget "X Simulator" games made in Germany. Simulating everything from driving an ordinary car, to construction cranes, to farming machinery, to gardening. Needless to say, YMMW.

There is also Ship Simulator, which seems a little more polished, don't know if there is loving up to be made or fun to be had, though.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2011

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I don't know where you live, and if these games are available everywhere, but in Europe we have these low-budget "X Simulator" games made in Germany. Simulating everything from driving an ordinary car, to construction cranes, to farming machinery, to gardening. Needless to say, YMMW.
These are all released by Excalibur Publishing, and they've got a surgery simulator coming up that might be fun to be terrible at. If you don't mind having to use DOSBox Life and Death and Life and Death 2: The Brain allow you to be the worst doctor/surgeon you can be. They're pretty simmy so expect to have to do some reading to get anywhere in them.

quote:

There is also Ship Simulator, which seems a little more polished, don't know if there is loving up to be made or fun to be had, though.
Ship Simulator is incredibly boring, but it DOES have a Greenpeace campaign if you want to very slowly be an rear end in a top hat on the high seas.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

doctorfrog posted:

Oasis is an excellent game that never got enough love. In my view, if Desktop Dungeons is a puzzly homage to roguelikes, Oasis is a great boiled down 4X, like Civilization. Like Shrapnel, Mind Control doesn't seem to want to put this marvelous game on Steam. It's $20, and frankly, worth it, but you can find it at random stores for about $10 or less. Reviewed.

There's also Bronze, a newcomer with some real promise, haven't played it much myself, but it looks very good. Sadly, it's also a Shrapnel game, and will probably languish in obscurity.

I got the Weird Worlds demo and definitely looks like a good game, but drat I get killed fast.

Never tried Oasis. Bronze is more of a board game, but the AI seems pretty strong, at least early on in the game.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Shrapnel kill me with their boutique prices. They have some interesting games, but they must be selling to a pretty small market.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've been in the mood lately for RPGs with fair amounts of actual "roleplaying" in 'em. Something where I can influence other characters, choose my responses, maybe even affect the story in small ways. Bonus points if there's customization and some additional fun in collecting items/skills. A fast-paced or action-y combat system is a plus, too.

I don't care whether its a WRPG or JRPG.

Systems I own are PS3, 360, and PC.

Already played and enjoyed:
Fable series
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age Origins

Already played and didn't enjoy:
Elder Scrolls series
Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas
KOTOR
Jade Empire

Planning to play:
The Witcher
Deus Ex
Alpha Protocol

Anything I've missed?
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines I'ts a bit of a stealth action game but the dialogue trees are really well done and the atmosphere and characters are top notch. The games still kinda buggy though and theres a bit of a wonky difficulty curve at the end. Still one of my favorite games of all time though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harmonica posted:

Shrapnel kill me with their boutique prices. They have some interesting games, but they must be selling to a pretty small market.

They'd be selling to a much bigger market if their prices weren't so idiotic. "Our customer base is small so we'll price our products really high!" is the most backwards way possible to do things . Although Paradox's strategy games aren't quite as hardcore, they show that complex strategy games can gain a much larger audience. I mean, gently caress, AGEOD's new game is debuting at $20, and it's probably going to be their best earner because of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 11, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

blakout posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines I'ts a bit of a stealth action game but the dialogue trees are really well done and the atmosphere and characters are top notch. The games still kinda buggy though and theres a bit of a wonky difficulty curve at the end. Still one of my favorite games of all time though

Fan patches have fixed up a lot of the bugs, and added a bunch of content. This is one of the best games ever, if you haven't played it, do so.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

blakout posted:

I love Bloodlines, but I've never finished it. Everytime I re-install it with the intent of playing it, something happens that makes me stop. I also don't know which of the many fan patches I should be using.

One of these days...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mung Dynasty posted:

I love Bloodlines, but I've never finished it. Everytime I re-install it with the intent of playing it, something happens that makes me stop. I also don't know which of the many fan patches I should be using.

One of these days...

To be honest, the ending is kind of lousy anyway. You can really tell they were running into a deadline; everything leading up to it is fantastic (except that goddamn sewer section!), but then it turns into a big linear combat segment, with none of the stealth or dialogue bits that make the rest of the game so interesting.

It also leaves you pretty screwed if you don't have a good combat build (though to be fair, the game does tell you early on that if you don't know how to fight, you'll get killed).

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
I'm looking for a game with a similar aesthetic to Jade Empire. I just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and now have a serious epic/fantasy/kung fu craving. Googling for "games like Jade Empire" mostly gets me other games by BioWare, which is not really what I'm after. I liked Jade Empire, but I'm more interested in something with a similar setting than similar mechanics (although similar mechanics would be just fine). Any ideas?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BusError posted:

I'm looking for a game with a similar aesthetic to Jade Empire. I just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and now have a serious epic/fantasy/kung fu craving. Googling for "games like Jade Empire" mostly gets me other games by BioWare, which is not really what I'm after. I liked Jade Empire, but I'm more interested in something with a similar setting than similar mechanics (although similar mechanics would be just fine). Any ideas?

Perhaps something from Dynasty Warriors series? It is set in China as far as i can tell and may be what you're looking for. Alas I can't tell you much more since I never actually played any of it, only heard about the series from the thread here in Games.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

BusError posted:

Any ideas?

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Mini Ninjas. Brutal: Paws of Fury.

Okay the last one is a joke. But maybe you like beat 'em ups, too.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Perestroika posted:

Dynasty Warriors

Harmonica posted:

Mini Ninjas
Sweet, I'll check those out. I remember those names going across my radar a while back, but I didn't pay attention to them at the time.

Harmonica posted:

MK: Shaolin Monks
Well how bout that, I will definitely give it a try. I remember seeing that name and just dismissing it because I don't like any other games with "Mortal Kombat" in the title.

Thanks!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

BusError posted:

Well how bout that, I will definitely give it a try. I remember seeing that name and just dismissing it because I don't like any other games with "Mortal Kombat" in the title.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was the same, I hate MK, but my friend put me onto it, and it's a really great action fighting game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A strangely specific request, but are there any fighting games (2D or 3D) other than Street Fighter Alpha 3 that have co-op play? I used to love SFA3's Dramatic Battle mode even though it wasn't exactly fully realized, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anything like it since.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

BusError posted:

Sweet, I'll check those out. I remember those names going across my radar a while back, but I didn't pay attention to them at the time.

Thanks!

I've never played Mortal Kombat for more than a few minutes at a time, but I love MK: Shaolin Monks. I wish Ed Boon would make something like this after the next MK game.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
So I was considering the idea of buying Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube, and had some questions regarding it, since I've never played a MGS game before:

1. Upon reseaching this game, I read that you can use a 1st person perspective instead of the series' traditional 3rd person perspective. Is the 1st person perspective optional?

2. I have heard MGS is famous for its numerous Easter Eggs. In the most vague/simple way possible (read: Try not to spoil anything!), can someone answer if this game has many of them?

3. I'd say this is a rather menial question, but is it really true that this game is better than the original MGS for PS1 that this game is based on?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Red Octopus!! posted:

So I was considering the idea of buying Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube, and had some questions regarding it, since I've never played a MGS game before:

1. Upon reseaching this game, I read that you can use a 1st person perspective instead of the series' traditional 3rd person perspective. Is the 1st person perspective optional?

2. I have heard MGS is famous for its numerous Easter Eggs. In the most vague/simple way possible (read: Try not to spoil anything!), can someone answer if this game has many of them?

3. I'd say this is a rather menial question, but is it really true that this game is better than the original MGS for PS1 that this game is based on?
1. You can shoot in First Person but you honestly don't have to. The guards follow the same paths/sight-lines as the original MGS. Aiming in 1st person makes the game a lot easier.

2. Yes, it has plenty.

3. I say yes. A lot of people complained about the "over-the-topness" of the cut scenes but you have to remember that in the original Snake dodges a tank bullet. This game kicks it up a notch, for sure, but the quality of the cinematics in terms of cinematography is far better.

For what it's worth MGS was my favourite video game for a long time before the series just went loving bat-poo poo insane. MGS:TTS is still superb though.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I loved Super Metroid (gameplay, atmosphere, exploration, atmosphere), please recommend me something. I've already played and loved Castlevania: SOTN and various others. I don't have a 360 so no Shadow Complex but I have a PC/Wii/PS3.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Orzo posted:

I loved Super Metroid (gameplay, atmosphere, exploration, atmosphere), please recommend me something. I've already played and loved Castlevania: SOTN and various others. I don't have a 360 so no Shadow Complex but I have a PC/Wii/PS3.
Does it have to be a 2D side-scroller? Batman: Arkham Asylum has the exploration elements of Super Metroid. You gain new gadgets (abilities) and can then access new parts of the island. Atmosphere isn't being on an alien planet but it's got a great atmosphere of it's own. Check it out if you haven't already, it's cheap and on PC/PS3.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Oh yeah, I've heard good things about it. Thanks. Any more?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Orzo posted:

You can try Cave Story (2d metroidvania. Avail for free on PC, and on the virtual console on Wii) and Aquaria (PC 2d underwater metroidvania) off the top of my head.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bats posted:

You can try Cave Story (2d metroidvania. Avail for free on PC, and on the virtual console on Wii) and Aquaria (PC 2d underwater metroidvania) off the top of my head.

There's also Eternal Daughter, which is a free 2d metroidvania made by the same guys as Aquaria (well, only 1 of the 2 guys but I couldn't figure out a good way to phrase it).

It's also really, really hard.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Orzo posted:

For what it's worth it's on sale on Steam for $7.50 for today only (until it's on sale again in a few months time I'm sure).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140/

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's also Eternal Daughter, which is a free 2d metroidvania made by the same guys as Aquaria (well, only 1 of the 2 guys but I couldn't figure out a good way to phrase it).

It's also really, really hard.

Hot diggidy, there's ED and a few other interesting looking games on that page I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the link, I'm acquiring as we speak =)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

doctor 7 posted:

For what it's worth it's on sale on Steam for $7.50 for today only (until it's on sale again in a few months time I'm sure).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140/

Also, punching the poo poo out of people never gets old. Ever.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bats posted:

Hot diggidy, there's ED and a few other interesting looking games on that page I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the link, I'm acquiring as we speak =)

Yeah most of the stuff on that page is gold. ED is the most expansive though - the others are mostly quickie puzzler one-offs. Diabolika is probably my favorite after ED; it's one of those things where a simple set of rules can make for a surprisingly engaging game.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

My sister wants a karaoke type of video game for her birthday and I know little-to-nothing of the genre. We have the Wii and xbox 360. Which video game would be the best to get? I don't think she'd be the type who would try to sing perfectly each time, just something that would be fun and entertaining a few times.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

Also, punching the poo poo out of people never gets old. Ever.
So God drat true. All those wicked fights you see in the comics and movies? If you've ever wanted to be THE BATMAN this game lets you do it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChikoDemono posted:

My sister wants a karaoke type of video game for her birthday and I know little-to-nothing of the genre. We have the Wii and xbox 360. Which video game would be the best to get? I don't think she'd be the type who would try to sing perfectly each time, just something that would be fun and entertaining a few times.

Rock Band 3 for 360 would probably be your best bet; it's got a full featured vocals option and of course the rest of the instruments means that you can get a group of people playing even though not everyone likes to sing. It's pretty much the ideal party game.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

A strangely specific request, but are there any fighting games (2D or 3D) other than Street Fighter Alpha 3 that have co-op play? I used to love SFA3's Dramatic Battle mode even though it wasn't exactly fully realized, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anything like it since.

I'm pretty sure the X-Box DOA games have co-op tag battle.

The only other 'game' I know of with simultaneous co-op is MUGEN for the PC.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

So God drat true. All those wicked fights you see in the comics and movies? If you've ever wanted to be THE BATMAN this game lets you do it.

Do you have to learn button combos to that kind of stuff? Or is it all fairly straight forward?

I suck at any and all games that involve remembering combos.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Harmonica posted:

Do you have to learn button combos to that kind of stuff? Or is it all fairly straight forward?

I suck at any and all games that involve remembering combos.

You have one attack button, and one counter button. Mash the attack button to do combos and press the counter button just before you get attacked to do a counter.

I think that's it, havn't played it in ages but the combat system is VERY easy to pick up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DiscoJ posted:

The only other 'game' I know of with simultaneous co-op is MUGEN for the PC.

Can anyone tell me how to get into MUGEN? What I should download, and from where? I've tried to get into it in the past, but the MUGEN community seems really insular and fragmented. I'm also really not into the fast, flashy, over-the-top Marvel vs. Capcom sort of fighters (for context, my favorite fighting games are Super Street Fighter 2 and Art of Fighting 3), and I doubt there's enough content out there to assemble a MUGEN build I'd personally enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Eggn0g posted:

You have one attack button, and one counter button. Mash the attack button to do combos and press the counter button just before you get attacked to do a counter.

I think that's it, havn't played it in ages but the combat system is VERY easy to pick up.

And a stun button.