Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
I like what I'm hearing so far... clearly worded and methodical dismantling of Bell's premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If I may don my tinfoil hat there....until a few months ago, bell was not throttling teksavvy traffic. Then suddenly around the 1st of the year they were. I just wonder if they turned the throttling off to get stats to show the CRTC. Then, once they had collected enough data, turned throttling on again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

If I may don my tinfoil hat there....until a few months ago, bell was not throttling teksavvy traffic. Then suddenly around the 1st of the year they were. I just wonder if they turned the throttling off to get stats to show the CRTC. Then, once they had collected enough data, turned throttling on again.

It sounds ridiculous but when you look at all of the other poo poo they have pulled over the past three years it's quite reasonable. I particularly love their handling of grandfathered accounts. They unofficially told CSRs to "upgrade" grandfathered accounts when they called in (without permission) even if it was for something totally unrelated. There was a huge rash of people on the dslreports forums who had been switched to some other plan and when they called in to get it fixed were told that it was impossible. A friend of mine who worked at Bell told me he felt like a scumball every day he went to work because they had so many lovely customer service policies forced on them and basically had to screw the customer at every opportunity.

edit: I should have specified grandfathered "unlimited" accounts. Oh and they jack the price up every year for them as well.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 8, 2011

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bonzo posted:

The stats that Bell showed to the CRTC are from mid-2009. They haven't submitted data since then.

The changes to throttling that you've seen/not-seen are co-incidentally around the same time that Bell has been implementing their internal UBB infrastructure.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I particularly love their handling of grandfathered accounts. They unofficially told CSRs to "upgrade" grandfathered accounts when they called in (without permission) even if it was for something totally unrelated.
They actually called my dad out-of-the-blue and tricked him into "upgrading." When I explained to him what had happened, he called back, tore into them, and canceled for TekSavvy. Yeah, they used the "impossible" line about putting him back. Such loving scum.

He didn't know the significance of the call until he got an obscene bill because of all the new overage charges from my brother's bandwidth usage.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 8, 2011

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

First batch of witnesses are gone.

Overall this went extremely well, pretty much all the important points were touched on, such as bits not having an intrinsic value and being essentially an unlimited resource, the costs of overage being excessive...are the second round opposers?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

It sounds like the witnesses are tearing down Bell's arguments pretty good, and they are getting a lot of political support. Will a Bell/Rogers rep be in the next batch?

They better rescind it, otherwise this classical music is going to cost me a fortune next month...

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
I really hope this changes something, all the points were brought up and stomped on and proved wrong. I don't see how they can keep charging what they charge now and get away with it anymore. We need some sort of news coverage on this tomorrow.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

That IPTV diagram is a little false - there are a few coworkers of mine with IPTV boxes that are not from their carrier at all. Two of them have boxes from the Phillipines that allow them to have channels from their home country here (in Toronto) over the Net. That certainly uses the Internet.

Also, pretty sure that Netflix qualifies as IPTV by it's regular definition.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have no idea about Canadian IPTV specifically, but I know some US carriers do cause your internet to get slower if you watch TV (like going from 50 Mbps down to 25). Really it could be setup either way here, only the big ISPs know for sure.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
who are the witnesses now?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Bell reps aren't on until Thursday at 4:30, this group is more small ISPs and public-interest types.

(schedule is here, click Next for Thursday's.)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bell will be in the second panel on Thursday (approx 4:30pm - 5:30pm), also that's the last panel.

Bell's IPTV offering runs over the same Dslam backhaul to the distribution network, just at a higher priority so won't be affected by any congestion issues. It's also not subject to UBB.

Everyone else's IPTV offering must run "over the internet" and is subjected to congestion and UBB.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
This current Oracom Internet guy is boring as gently caress.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The French guy speaking now just said that it's in no way fair if someone gets a virus and ends up with a giant bill because of it (didn't explain why, spam node or illegal secret FTP would be the obvious reasons).

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

univbee posted:

I have no idea about Canadian IPTV specifically, but I know some US carriers do cause your internet to get slower if you watch TV (like going from 50 Mbps down to 25). Really it could be setup either way here, only the big ISPs know for sure.

Telus Optik slows down a fair bit when you are watching TV, moreso with multiple HD boxes going at the same time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is there any way to switch away from bell and maintain the @sympatico email address? My parents would love to switch, but my mom is consulting and uses the @sympatico email address for work, which is currently preventing them from switching.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

TrueChaos posted:

Is there any way to switch away from bell and maintain the @sympatico email address? My parents would love to switch, but my mom is consulting and uses the @sympatico email address for work, which is currently preventing them from switching.

You could switch the account to dial-up and pay the lowest monthly tier. That's the only way you can, assuming they still allow that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm now posting from TekSavvy Cable.

My plan is twice as fast as the DSL was, but upload is like 10-20 KB/s slower.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Switching away is unfortunately impossible, keeping that address requires at least $12 a month IIRC. I think you can arrange 3 months of forwarding, though. This is definitely you want to arrange one way or another anyway, having an ISP-specific address is a terrible idea, especially for work.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

teethgrinder posted:

I'm now posting from TekSavvy Cable.

My plan is twice as fast as the DSL was, but upload is like 10-20 KB/s slower.
What and where are you uploading? My torrents uploaded slower initially, but someone must have fixed something higher up the chain because now I hit my full 1Mbps on torrents without a VPN.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me there's a transcript of todays hearing. I'd be very interested to see what was debated.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

unknown posted:

CRTC's official statement:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2011/r110208.htm

Goddamn that's intolerable. While it's been mentioned before, 'by their own initiative' is the most disingenuous statement they could muster. They haven't changed their tune one bit.

quote:

1. as a general rule, ordinary consumers served by Small ISPs should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest residential Internet consumers, and
2. it is in the best interest of consumers that Small ISPs, which offer competitive alternatives to the Large Distributors, should continue to do so.

Wait, what? Teksavvy and other provides like it are the small ISP's, and their business runs fine even though their most basic plan comes with 200gigs a month. At no point have they ever complained about 'high bandwidth users'. In what world is anything about that statement based upon reality? It's the Large Distributors that are loving bitching here. :ughh:

Also, really, Small ISP's can't offer anything in terms of a competitive alternative with UBB. If everyone is bound to the same bandwidth rates, the only that can change is speed, and UBB makes higher speeds very post prohibitive.

It's mind blowing how callous and retarded the CRTC is, and continues to be. They can't even take a hint when it becomes a major political issue.

I really hope those speakers today make a difference. I have a bad feeling Thursday's appearance of Bell et. al. will see the CRTC dipshits smile and nod their way through lies and bullshit.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

What and where are you uploading? My torrents uploaded slower initially, but someone must have fixed something higher up the chain because now I hit my full 1Mbps on torrents without a VPN.
I just tried uploading a file to my hosting which used to max out at around 70 KB/s.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well Bell/Rogailures, looks like the West is safe for now!

Shaw backs away from usage-based Internet billing.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 9, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised when I saw that. Rogers didn't call me back today and I deleted the voicemail with their number, so that was probably it... unless I grab their number off my own Rogers bill :haw:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

less than three posted:

Time to celebrate with a Playstation Network download spree. Victory tastes so sweet.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well somebody was angry with me posing a link to that Vancouver Sun article to my Facebook.

Shaw Shill posted:

Here's the thing.

Say you're an all you can eat buffet place that charges $10 for their meal, since they determine that the average person eats 2lbs of food, and that's the price they can live w/ to be able to turn enough of a profit to sustain themselves, give back to the community, continue to inovate, etc.... now say about 10% of your customer base is now eating 20lbs of food, and when other customers go to eat all they can eat, there's a bunch of empty trays cuz the customer right before them ate everything. So the company, instead of rising their prices, has decided that if you eat more then 15lbs, you pay more, as well as offer a lite package so that if you're only going to eat half a pound you don't pay quite as much. So they're offering different packages for different eaters so that there still is plenty of consumer options out there to pick what you need. Then 10% hear about this, start a viral campagn causing a national frenzy and demand that they take back this tragedy.

What's going to happen? They'll raise their prices. They have to. People are using more, considerably more, then they ever did before, and are using it to bypass other revenue streams. Skype, AppleTV, Netflix, these are all things people use so they don't have to pay for home/cell phones, cable television, even on-demand services. You can't offer 30x the amount of service you once did at the same cost and stay in business. What UBB was doing was asking those who abused the system to pay for it, and it was going to affect 7% of the population, those people who are causing your internet to be slower if they are next door to you because they are abusing the system.

And the worst part of this all? The only argument that any anti-ubb protester can come up w/ is that they've always had unlimited so why are they charging now. Well guess what, caps have ALWAYS been in place. Just because they haven't enforced a policy before doesn't mean it wasn't there, and doesn't mean you get to demand that they maintain their past approach to such a policy, especially when a small percentage of customers are abusing it to such a high degree.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

less than three posted:

Well somebody was angry with me posing a link to that Vancouver Sun article to my Facebook.

That "neighbor is slowing down my internet" comment doesn't apply to DSL :colbert:

quote:

profit to sustain themselves, give back to the community, continue to inovate, etc

LOL. They guy who can't spell innovate believes that the telcos are going to use our money to improve their system rather than line their pockets. Glorious. And dammit, don't compare bandwidth with food. Did he even read the petition to the CRTC first?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

less than three posted:

Wow, I am genuinely suprised. It wasn't until this happened that I started lumping Shaw in with the other three jerks. Hopefully they'll continue with their otherwise excellent service.

Also the sun is literally the worst 'news' publication I have ever read.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ZShakespeare posted:

Wow, I am genuinely suprised. It wasn't until this happened that I started lumping Shaw in with the other three jerks. Hopefully they'll continue with their otherwise excellent service.

Also the sun is literally the worst 'news' publication I have ever read.

The Vancouver Sun isn't affiliated with the other Quebecor 'Sun' tabloids. :colbert:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
That doesn't stop it from being terribly written schlock.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Shaw Shill posted:

Here's the thing.

Say you're an all you can eat buffet place that charges $10 for their meal, since they determine that the average person eats 2lbs of food, and that's the price they can live w/ to be able to turn enough of a profit to sustain themselves, give back to the community, continue to inovate, etc.... now say about 10% of your customer base is now eating 20lbs of food, and when other customers go to eat all they can eat, there's a bunch of empty trays cuz the customer right before them ate everything. So the company, instead of rising their prices, has decided that if you eat more then 15lbs, you pay more, as well as offer a lite package so that if you're only going to eat half a pound you don't pay quite as much. So they're offering different packages for different eaters so that there still is plenty of consumer options out there to pick what you need. Then 10% hear about this, start a viral campagn causing a national frenzy and demand that they take back this tragedy.

What's going to happen? They'll raise their prices. They have to. People are using more, considerably more, then they ever did before, and are using it to bypass other revenue streams. Skype, AppleTV, Netflix, these are all things people use so they don't have to pay for home/cell phones, cable television, even on-demand services. You can't offer 30x the amount of service you once did at the same cost and stay in business. What UBB was doing was asking those who abused the system to pay for it, and it was going to affect 7% of the population, those people who are causing your internet to be slower if they are next door to you because they are abusing the system.

And the worst part of this all? The only argument that any anti-ubb protester can come up w/ is that they've always had unlimited so why are they charging now. Well guess what, caps have ALWAYS been in place. Just because they haven't enforced a policy before doesn't mean it wasn't there, and doesn't mean you get to demand that they maintain their past approach to such a policy, especially when a small percentage of customers are abusing it to such a high degree.

Yea... but to make this example REAL you have to say that the restaurant gets it's food for FREE all they had to buy was the ovens. Their only limitation is the rate at which they cook the food. When the restaurant gets busy, they just make sure the "hogs" are limited to smaller portions or fewer trips. If that hog wants to sit in the restaurant for 4 hours and eat a bit slower, they can eat as much as they bloody well want and there is ZERO additional cost.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

DropDeadRed posted:

Yea... but to make this example REAL you have to say that the restaurant gets it's food for FREE all they had to buy was the ovens. Their only limitation is the rate at which they cook the food. When the restaurant gets busy, they just make sure the "hogs" are limited to smaller portions or fewer trips. If that hog wants to sit in the restaurant for 4 hours and eat a bit slower, they can eat as much as they bloody well want and there is ZERO additional cost.

Even then it's a ridiculous analogy. Everyone wants to use an analogy or simile to compare Internet traffic to. The only one that even begins to make sense is the road traffic one.

The tell tale sign someone has no idea how the Internet works when making an argument for UBB is any analogy at all, or comparing it to hydro. It's a great way to make them look like an idiot with facts even my non tech savvy parents know.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Godinster posted:

Even then it's a ridiculous analogy. Everyone wants to use an analogy or simile to compare Internet traffic to. The only one that even begins to make sense is the road traffic one.

I think its best to compare it to other technologies that work in similar ways. Like why our phone system never collapsed under the strain of "local calling hogs" and why we dont "run out of" cable television when everyone is watching the Superbowl.

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

8ender posted:

I think its best to compare it to other technologies that work in similar ways. Like why our phone system never collapsed under the strain of "local calling hogs" and why we dont "run out of" cable television when everyone is watching the Superbowl.

Phone systems do get in trouble in crisis situations. Cable TV is a whole different game too.

The road/traffic analogy thing I could see working well. Having a really solid but SIMPLE analogy allows communication with simple people. It also ties in with the "information superhighway" that Al Gore invented...

Bell's current caps on high speed connections are analogous to capping traffic on the 401 highway to 20k cars/month. One morning rush hour and they'd have to close it for the rest of the month!

Does anyone have a link to a concise well worded "elevator speech" explanation?

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

less than three posted:

Excellent, I knew Shaw wasn't evil. I feel sorry for the people who switched to Telus over this, they might as well have been signing the dotted line with the devil himself.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
So yeah apparently Bell has been systematically overstating consumption.

quote:

Bell Canada has admitted to problems tracking Internet use for some customers.

This is embarrassing, given the company’s insistence on usage-based billing for its own clients and for other clients of other Internet service providers that rent its network.

Bell posted a message at its website yesterday, where clients log on to track their Internet usage.

“Please note that we have identified an issue that may cause Internet usage shown on the site to be overstated in some cases,” it said.

“In order to ensure we provide reliable information to all our clients, the usage tracker will be unavailable while we resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

I’ve heard from three Bell customers who said their Internet usage shown by the website’s tracker exceeded their actual usage.

Allan Taylor said he never went over 2.5 gigabytes a month, since he didn’t download movies, but was charged for exceeding his 25 GB limit.

Jerry Shulak said Bell’s Internet tracker showed him using 2.7 GB of data on Feb. 2, a day when he used 150 MB (megabytes) at most.

On Feb. 5, he drove the United States for a day and unplugged his phone line from the computer modem.

“Almost 500 MB of phantom data usage,” he says about Bell’s tracker.

Michael Stortini’s Internet usage never went over 0.72 GB a month, he said. Yet he was charged over $20 in fees last December for usage of 10.38 GB, despite no change in his Internet habits.

Bell showed his Internet use at 25.76 GB over the Christmas holiday period. Yet he was away from home for 12 days.

Only a small minority of customers was affected by the tracking errors, said Jason Laszlo, a Bell spokesman.
Well, he would, wouldn't he?

But now that we know that apparently the accuracy of their tracker is a crapshoot—which fits my experience with Rogers to a tee—one wonders just how vicious the questions are going to be on Thursday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really hope someone hammers on this in the media.

I normally hate being disingenuous, but put them on the defensive for a change. Come out with "Bell wants us all to pay overage fees, when they themselves admitted they've been overstating their customers' bandwidth usage".

But really when I think about it, maintain the moral high ground and don't :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Modian posted:

Excellent, I knew Shaw wasn't evil. I feel sorry for the people who switched to Telus over this, they might as well have been signing the dotted line with the devil himself.

I wouldn't make any predictions yet. The fact that they say they're simply backing away for a few months to mull the situation over sounds like they're simply going to best figure out how to placate the mainstream with as paltry an offering as possible.

"Hey, it's Shaws new Super-Huge Internet Time package! Now with unlimited bandwidth*!"

*500kbs down, 10kbs up