Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

This is something I wondered when I had mine in for service. Why won't they cut the rotors down? When I had my front pads actually go defective (wear item, can't warranty them, gently caress you VWoA) they were able to just turn the rotors and put new pads on.

The pad actually came loose from the backing plate and was hanging about 2 inches when I noticed the issue. At least now my wheels don't turn black 3 days after washing them.

It's purely a money issue. By the time I mount up and cut a set of rotors the cost of labor would be almost the same as buying a pair of new ones. In some cases like the A8/Touareg/Q7 it might be more cost-effective to cut the rotors but you might be surprised at how many owners of these types of vehicles want new hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

SwashedBuckles posted:

Stretched chains on V6 Audis? Is this on the newer 3.0TFSI or one of the older motors?

According to the tech support guys I've been talking to while diagnosing this A6, it's the newer V6 FSI/TFSI-engined cars that have been showing up with stretched chains. From what I can tell, it's not a widespread problem but the tech-line guys are all familiar with it now so that means there's been a few of them at least.

Even though one of the intake cams was totally out of phase with it's exhaust cam AND the crank, no valve to piston contact occurred in the V6 I'm working on BUT there's so much coking/carbon buildup on the intake valves that they're all leaking so we're putting 2 new heads on the engine. The car's been apart for 12 days now so I'm really not looking forward to trying to remember where everything goes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

my1999gsr posted:

It's purely a money issue. By the time I mount up and cut a set of rotors the cost of labor would be almost the same as buying a pair of new ones. In some cases like the A8/Touareg/Q7 it might be more cost-effective to cut the rotors but you might be surprised at how many owners of these types of vehicles want new hardware.

Oh, they didn't charge me to cut the rotors down, and they were actually able to take the warp out of them too. I guess it helps that the pads were actually defective and went bad before they were even half worn, so the rotors weren't as bad as a car that went through a full set of pads.

So does VW use ceramic pads now on everything? The pads that came on my GLI were dusty as gently caress.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

my1999gsr posted:

According to the tech support guys I've been talking to while diagnosing this A6, it's the newer V6 FSI/TFSI-engined cars that have been showing up with stretched chains. From what I can tell, it's not a widespread problem but the tech-line guys are all familiar with it now so that means there's been a few of them at least.

Even though one of the intake cams was totally out of phase with it's exhaust cam AND the crank, no valve to piston contact occurred in the V6 I'm working on BUT there's so much coking/carbon buildup on the intake valves that they're all leaking so we're putting 2 new heads on the engine. The car's been apart for 12 days now so I'm really not looking forward to trying to remember where everything goes.

Is there anything I should be looking out for or am I going to be alerted to the problem by the engine dying a violent death on the highway?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Oh, they didn't charge me to cut the rotors down, and they were actually able to take the warp out of them too. I guess it helps that the pads were actually defective and went bad before they were even half worn, so the rotors weren't as bad as a car that went through a full set of pads.

So does VW use ceramic pads now on everything? The pads that came on my GLI were dusty as gently caress.

They're still an partially organic compound but it looks like VAG has moved to a slightly harder pad material in an effort to eliminate the rust pitting and ridging that the Mk4 chassis cars were so prone to.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

SwashedBuckles posted:

Is there anything I should be looking out for or am I going to be alerted to the problem by the engine dying a violent death on the highway?

It won't be a violent event. It's more likely that the car will quit and won't restart. On the newer V6s it looks like it takes a lot to produce piston to valve contact - the V6 I've got apart died at highway speed with no ill-effects although I'd hate to gamble on that.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
Clutch on my A4 is almost completely gone... is there some wonderful brand of clutch I should be looking into, or just grab an OEM one? 2003 B6 Audi A4 1.8T.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nermal. posted:

Clutch on my A4 is almost completely gone... is there some wonderful brand of clutch I should be looking into, or just grab an OEM one? 2003 B6 Audi A4 1.8T.
Unless you have or plan on adding big power upgrades I'd just go to another OEM clutch. Almost eight years seems like a good lifespan for a clutch on a turbo/AWD car.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Dumb question: Where can I get the nylon/plastic "clips", (seal fasteners), that hold the insulation onto the underside of the hood on a Jetta?

I found a place on-line but with shipping they were nearly a dollar a piece... it's just not worth that money or trouble.

Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have it. Fastenal's, who's whole business is fasteners, didn't have them or even have them in their catalog to order.

Not a serious problem, just an annoyance. Seems like every time I open the hood another one of those things has broken.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The dealer should have them.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

The dealer should have them.

In stock you think? I'll call and ask, I guess, but I usually try to avoid the dealerships at all costs.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'd call first but they should have something like that in stock.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
would it be stupid to take the ipod connector and splice it with a USB connector?

I don't feel like paying $40 for a cable that should've come with my car...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nermal. posted:

How many miles on your car? Just curious because I just hit 67k on mine and wondering how long before clutch work is needed.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought a 2003 GTI and you guys are scaring the poo poo out of me.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Dumb question: Where can I get the nylon/plastic "clips", (seal fasteners), that hold the insulation onto the underside of the hood on a Jetta?

I found a place on-line but with shipping they were nearly a dollar a piece... it's just not worth that money or trouble.

Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have it. Fastenal's, who's whole business is fasteners, didn't have them or even have them in their catalog to order.

Not a serious problem, just an annoyance. Seems like every time I open the hood another one of those things has broken.

Post a pic of the part you need - I probably have a couple in my toolbox.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dolphin posted:

Good.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

How many miles on your car? Just curious because I just hit 67k on mine and wondering how long before clutch work is needed.

150-180,000 kms is typical. It's very much influenced by driving style though so YMMV.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Dolphin posted:

Bah! Compared to the A5/Mk5 GTI you're in the clear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

my1999gsr posted:

Bah! Compared to the A5/Mk5 GTI you're in the clear.

Really? I thought the Mk5s were on the up and up reliability wise.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

After all the TSBs and if they're well maintained, yes.

My 2007 is just about to push 80k and still (knocks on wood) works flawlessly.

This weekend, I should get around to doing the following if it's a bit warmer:

Oil Change (Now with Speed, Class and AMSOIL!)
Fuel Filter Replacement (MANN)
Cabin Filter Replacement (MANN)
Spark Plug Replacement (NGK Iridiums)
Replace DV (Forge)

Hopefully by the end of the month, I'll have my homemade DSG fluid change tool done. (Made out of a garden sprayer!) So I'll be all set to do that by myself as well.

loving dealership wants $750 to do a DSG oil change. $350 if I provide the oil. What the loving gently caress?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

my1999gsr posted:

Post a pic of the part you need - I probably have a couple in my toolbox.

Product Description
Hood Insulation Retainer
Black Nylon
Head Size: 20mm x 25mm
Stem Length: 13mm
Fits Into 12mm Hole
Replaces VW/Audi: 1H5-863-849-A-01C Audi A4, A6, Cabriolet, Quattro, S4 & S6 and Volkswagen Beetle Golf, Jetta, Passat, Rabbit & Touareg 1998 - On
15 Per Package

I probably need at least 10. I don't know how many there are but I'm probably missing over half of them.

Also my car is still running like crap. I bet I didn't even need a new cat. con. or a MAF sensor... and all I really needed was a new EPC throttle module or whatever the hell it was. And that MFer took my $2000 and gave me back a car that is no better than it was before.

It's starting to get really bad again already. I wonder if part of it is the cold. Last night it was literally 0 degrees F... and the car did what I am now calling "the bad thing", because it seems much worse than the normal sputters and chokes. The engine cuts out completely and the dash lights up like a christmas tree. Did it to me last night pulling out of a fast food drive thru. I turn the key off and start it back up and it's "fine", which is what I'm now calling normal really crappy running.

How much was a new throttle again?

It's been almost exactly a year now since VW told me nothing was wrong with it. And $2000 dollars later after other shops said sure we can fix it, you need this and this... and I get the same horrible performing car.

aaaahhhh.... sorry... unprovoked rant......

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
My wife and I just bought a 2007 Jetta 2.5 w/55k miles and I'm pretty nervous after reading this thread. We have 5k left on the factory warranty, anything I should be on the lookout for at that mileage?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of diverter valves. Anyone else running a chipped 1.8t? Wondering how long before I kill my dv with this new program.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Well, it depends on how you qualify "reliability". The Mk4 cars had all kinds of stupid smallish stuff - window regulator/clips, seat heaters and things of that type - irritating but not terrible. The first few years of the Mk5 cars had things like wrecked cams and fuel pumps, severe oil consumption, blown dual-mass flywheels - things that can ruin your day in an instant. The last few iterations of the Mk5's have been better so far though.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

quietthings posted:

My wife and I just bought a 2007 Jetta 2.5 w/55k miles and I'm pretty nervous after reading this thread. We have 5k left on the factory warranty, anything I should be on the lookout for at that mileage?

Nope - you're still pretty low mileage for anything big to go wrong. You may find that you're starting to get some noise from the front swaybar links or lower control arm bushings but that's not too awful really. Other than that, I wouldn't sweat it - the 2.5 has been pretty trouble-free overall.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

timb posted:

After all the TSBs and if they're well maintained, yes.

My 2007 is just about to push 80k and still (knocks on wood) works flawlessly.

This weekend, I should get around to doing the following if it's a bit warmer:

Oil Change (Now with Speed, Class and AMSOIL!)
Fuel Filter Replacement (MANN)
Cabin Filter Replacement (MANN)
Spark Plug Replacement (NGK Iridiums)
Replace DV (Forge)

Hopefully by the end of the month, I'll have my homemade DSG fluid change tool done. (Made out of a garden sprayer!) So I'll be all set to do that by myself as well.

loving dealership wants $750 to do a DSG oil change. $350 if I provide the oil. What the loving gently caress?

I assume you have VAG-COM?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Product Description
Hood Insulation Retainer
Black Nylon
Head Size: 20mm x 25mm
Stem Length: 13mm
Fits Into 12mm Hole
Replaces VW/Audi: 1H5-863-849-A-01C Audi A4, A6, Cabriolet, Quattro, S4 & S6 and Volkswagen Beetle Golf, Jetta, Passat, Rabbit & Touareg 1998 - On
15 Per Package

I probably need at least 10. I don't know how many there are but I'm probably missing over half of them.

Also my car is still running like crap. I bet I didn't even need a new cat. con. or a MAF sensor... and all I really needed was a new EPC throttle module or whatever the hell it was. And that MFer took my $2000 and gave me back a car that is no better than it was before.

It's starting to get really bad again already. I wonder if part of it is the cold. Last night it was literally 0 degrees F... and the car did what I am now calling "the bad thing", because it seems much worse than the normal sputters and chokes. The engine cuts out completely and the dash lights up like a christmas tree. Did it to me last night pulling out of a fast food drive thru. I turn the key off and start it back up and it's "fine", which is what I'm now calling normal really crappy running.

How much was a new throttle again?

It's been almost exactly a year now since VW told me nothing was wrong with it. And $2000 dollars later after other shops said sure we can fix it, you need this and this... and I get the same horrible performing car.

aaaahhhh.... sorry... unprovoked rant......

I can have my parts dept call around and try to get a price but judging from ebay I'd say the module would cost around $200 used.

I have 4 or 5 of the clips you need if you're interested.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

my1999gsr posted:

I assume you have VAG-COM?

Yup! Also the Bentley Repair and Service manuals.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 11, 2011

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

timb posted:

Yup! Also the Bentley Repair and Service manuals.

Good! You'd be surprised at how many shops screw up the procedure because they don't realize you have to monitor the tranny fluid temps when you refill it.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

veedubfreak posted:

80 even. Clutch went FAST.

Good one day, "Holy poo poo I'm slipping in 3rd gear" the next.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
I remember when clutch died on my old car, went from "everything is cool" to "poo poo can't get it in gear" in seconds.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

my1999gsr posted:

I can have my parts dept call around and try to get a price but judging from ebay I'd say the module would cost around $200 used.

I have 4 or 5 of the clips you need if you're interested.

Don't worry about it... you do enough answering my questions. I should just breakdown and order them.... I just stubborn about dumb stuff.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Don't worry about it... you do enough answering my questions. I should just breakdown and order them.... I just stubborn about dumb stuff.

Turns out I have 9 of them. Give me an address and I'll send em for free.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

my1999gsr posted:

Turns out I have 9 of them. Give me an address and I'll send em for free.

wow thanks... I'll get with you next week, I got to run out right now.

Dr. Video Games 0032
Oct 4, 2006

D:

Dolphin posted:

I'm in this boat. I'm looking to buy a small car for myself and have been looking at the 2011 Polo Comfortline. It's won quite a lot of car of the year awards, but from what I've been reading here its not the cheapest car to maintain?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of diverter valves. Anyone else running a chipped 1.8t? Wondering how long before I kill my dv with this new program.

I'm running a chipped mk4 1.8t, the place i got it done said the standard one should hold up, but i replaced it with a forge motorsport diverter valve anyway. I say replace it anyway, it's improved the throttle response on mine and it seems like theres less turbo lag (could just be me though).

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Went to install the Forge DV onto my MKV. One of the bolt holes stripped out, which was FANTASTIC FUN, let me tell you.

The stock bolts are 6mm 1.0, so I got a tap and made it 7mm 1.0 and picked up a matching bolt at the hardware store. Seems simple enough, right?

Unfortunately there was no way for me to drill the hole up to the proper size, so I just had to force the tap into the existing hole and hand turn it. Luckily 1mm difference isn't too bad, and the metal was fairly soft.

Then I realized the hardware store didn't have 7mm button head bolts, only hex head. So I had to buy that. The problem being it was really difficult to get a socket in there due to clearance with the DV. So I had to hand tighten it with a wrench, millimeter by millimeter.

What should have been a 30 minute DV install turned into a 4 hour ordeal.

The whole thing was a cramped, hard to work with pain in the rear end.

You know the best part? After all that, I looked at the OEM DV I had taken off, and it was the upgraded "Rev D" model from the late model FSI engines that doesn't have the diaphragm problem. :doh:

I guess the previous owner had replaced it. (Incidentally, if anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $50 shipped.)

I also got switched over to AMSOIL and replaced the stock plugs with NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums. Still need to do the DSG oil change and replace the fuel filter.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

timb posted:

Went to install the Forge DV onto my MKV. One of the bolt holes stripped out, which was FANTASTIC FUN, let me tell you.

The stock bolts are 6mm 1.0, so I got a tap and made it 7mm 1.0 and picked up a matching bolt at the hardware store. Seems simple enough, right?

Unfortunately there was no way for me to drill the hole up to the proper size, so I just had to force the tap into the existing hole and hand turn it. Luckily 1mm difference isn't too bad, and the metal was fairly soft.

Then I realized the hardware store didn't have 7mm button head bolts, only hex head. So I had to buy that. The problem being it was really difficult to get a socket in there due to clearance with the DV. So I had to hand tighten it with a wrench, millimeter by millimeter.

What should have been a 30 minute DV install turned into a 4 hour ordeal.

The whole thing was a cramped, hard to work with pain in the rear end.

You know the best part? After all that, I looked at the OEM DV I had taken off, and it was the upgraded "Rev D" model from the late model FSI engines that doesn't have the diaphragm problem. :doh:

I guess the previous owner had replaced it. (Incidentally, if anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $50 shipped.)

I also got switched over to AMSOIL and replaced the stock plugs with NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums. Still need to do the DSG oil change and replace the fuel filter.

Congrats, you've just described my average day at the shop! Anyways, I'm glad it all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break4Gold
Jan 5, 2011
I have a 1998 VW Jetta VR6, i got rid of my Cat and i failed inspection because my car failed to reach readiness status for the cats. Now my question is, can i over ride the system to reach readiness status manually with a scan tool? and also can i do it with any scan tool if its possible, or would i need a dealers scan tool?