Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
By stage, do you mean tool rest?

I've seen a lot of grinders without tool rests, it boggles my mind how people can use them that way. But if you were going to, wouldn't you want to build on out of metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MarshallX posted:

Do you think I'd be able to build a stage for it and come over the top of my wet stone?

It has a wide range of adjustability, so at the very most you would just need to build a small box for it to mount on so that it could get up high enough.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

GEMorris posted:

It has a wide range of adjustability, so at the very most you would just need to build a small box for it to mount on so that it could get up high enough.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Awesome.

I'm building a platform for it that I will attach everything to, so I will at least attach it using snaps or wingnuts so I can move it around to each position easily.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
This is serious dedication to ones craft. Amazing tool chest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QaFTI2F9c

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
My chop saw spits sawdust everywhere while the bag pitifully remains empty so I'm thinking about hooking up my portable vacuum to it with an automatic switch like this from Sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...n=1#reviewsWrap

Id like a full dust collection system but my shop is tiny (and my wallet perhaps tinier)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Schwarz was on two episodes of the Woodwrights Shop.

Pretty good stuff, the handsawing episode will probably improve anyone's sawing technique.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Watch+Me+On+The+Woodwrights+Shop+I+Cant.aspx

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Wow man, sawing secrets was really cool.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/3009.html

Do you know this guy Shwarz in real life?

Also, I don't remember if it was you or someone else but someone was saying they live in NC - have you ever met Roy Underhill?

So pysched that the new season of The Woodwright's Shop is up on their website.

edit: can anyone explain whats going on in this video? what's a saw stop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EuxXrQtkxs

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 9, 2011

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Schwarz was on two episodes of the Woodwrights Shop.

Pretty good stuff, the handsawing episode will probably improve anyone's sawing technique.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Watch+Me+On+The+Woodwrights+Shop+I+Cant.aspx

Whoa, I saw that, but I had NO IDEA the show was still making new episodes. I assumed they were all repeats from tens of years ago. wow.

Agreed that his appearance was, as you'd expect, a good learning experience.

dwoloz posted:

This is serious dedication to ones craft. Amazing tool chest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QaFTI2F9c

This fucker is hosed. gently caress this. I can never decide if poo poo like this makes me "inspired," or want to cut my losses and walk away from this hobby.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I remembered the other Scwhartz episode, which I loved. It totally made me want to buy the book they were discussing:
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/3010.html

EDIT 2: double-gently caress that tool case. Also, where can I buy the EZ-mode version of the plans? gently caress...

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 9, 2011

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

Cobalt60 posted:

This fucker is hosed. gently caress this. I can never decide if poo poo like this makes me "inspired," or want to cut my losses and walk away from this hobby.

Sounds like the guy spent 30 years full time (roughly 60,000 hours) making quality pianos the old fashioned way - of course he's going to have mad skills; skills few of us will ever achieve in a hobby.

We can get isnpiration from some of his ideas and do some of the things on a smaller scale. Personally I'd never commit myself to making such a tool chest like that because while everything fits in there beautifully what if you wanted to change something around?

Of course I'd love to own it and just play with it - it's like a man's doll house.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
It said in the comments that just one plane, a small Stanley #1 (the one that was tucked into that arched cubby thing) was worth $1600 USD.

:psyboom:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The Scientist posted:

It said in the comments that just one plane, a small Stanley #1 (the one that was tucked into that arched cubby thing) was worth $1600 USD.

:psyboom:

Well, yeah, but the Stanley #1 is basically the absolute pinnacle of collectible iron-body planes, followed closely by the less-tiny #2. It was so short a run that it was essentially "not" produced, so today it's 100% collectible for collector's sake.

Funny thing is, it's also basically a stupid design -- if you want a small-body standard-angle plane, you'd just get a good block plane. A man-sized hand doesn't even fit into the handle!

It's funny to me, because you see some truly amazing plow (or "plough") planes, or stunning infill planes at around the same price and you realize how silly that really is. I've seen a fully original british infill with a high-angle blade that smooths better than a new Lie-Neilsen, and was infinitely more beautiful (I think the wood was ebony or something crazy).

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The Scientist posted:

edit: can anyone explain whats going on in this video? what's a saw stop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EuxXrQtkxs

It's a safer table saw that stops and retracts the blade if it comes into contact with flesh. I think that small thing on the board in the video you posted is a piece of chicken. I saw it on TV several months ago and the inventor put his hand on top of a 2x4 and ran it over the blade. It was fairly impressive, but I think it requires proprietary blades.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

dwoloz posted:

My chop saw spits sawdust everywhere while the bag pitifully remains empty so I'm thinking about hooking up my portable vacuum to it with an automatic switch like this from Sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...n=1#reviewsWrap

Id like a full dust collection system but my shop is tiny (and my wallet perhaps tinier)

The vac is going to fill up in a hurry. It's a relatively simple job to build a tiny cyclone separator for a drywall mud bucket, or you can purchase similar. To get an idea, plug "cyclone separator" into Amazon. You can get one for under $20. I built mine from some MDF and it works really well, and the price was right because I didn't have to buy anything. I pair it with my tiny little Shop-Vac Hangup. You don't need a huge collection volume at the vac because the bucket collects most of the bulk, and the Hangup sucks like you wouldn't believe so it works amazingly well, without taking up a ton of room.

Also, consider this a hugely positive review of the Hangup, it's great for cleaning up the bench, under the saw, and around the lathe.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The Scientist posted:

Do you know this guy Shwarz in real life?

Also, I don't remember if it was you or someone else but someone was saying they live in NC - have you ever met Roy Underhill?

Underhill has a woodworking school in downtown Pittsboro, NC, which is about 30 minutes away from where I live in Raleigh. When it first opened up, Schwarz and one of his Pop Woodworking staff photographers were down there shooting a project that Underhill had done for the magazine. I wrote an e-mail to the school's main info e-mail, asking if it was cool if I stopped by and got some books signed by each of them. Underhill himself wrote me back and invited me to come over, so I ended up meeting the both of them that way.

Basic impressions:

Roy is super nice and genuine, he has an incredible passion and energy for woodworking. He also tried to flirt with my wife.

Chris is a really smart guy and I'm really glad someone like him is involved in woodworking. He's part historic scholar, part practical craftsman, and part teacher/communicator. He will dig up old woodworking tomes, scour them for what is basically forgotten techniques, learn and apply those techniques, and then disseminate that information amongst the woodworking populace.

truncated aardvar posted:

Of course I'd love to own it and just play with it - it's like a man's doll house.

This is the best description of the Studley tool chest that I have ever read. I plan to use this the next some old dude start sperging "MASTUR CRAFTSMAN" around me.

kaiger posted:

but I think it requires proprietary blades.

This is the only point you are wrong about.

We had one at the NCSU College of Design shop when I was there, probably 80% of the triggers were due to wet wood or a staple, but the 20% that weren't made owning that saw in a school shop environment totally worth it.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 9, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

kaiger posted:

It's a safer table saw that stops and retracts the blade if it comes into contact with flesh. I think that small thing on the board in the video you posted is a piece of chicken. I saw it on TV several months ago and the inventor put his hand on top of a 2x4 and ran it over the blade. It was fairly impressive, but I think it requires proprietary blades.

Yea, uses electrical conductivity of the blade. Huge gently caress off brakes engage the sawblade and pull it under the table. You have to pay a cost to replace the brakes I think. We don't have any at UIC but IIT has 12 or something..

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also destroys the blade. But better that than your finger!

Skip to about 50 seconds in to see the brake actually in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Roy is super nice and genuine, he has an incredible passion and energy for woodworking. He also tried to flirt with my wife.

ahahahahaaaa love this.

Every time Roy's on our TV, my wife declares that he is a "living Muppet." I imagine she'd derive a lifetime of entertainment if he sidled up to her.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Bad Munki posted:

Also destroys the blade. But better that than your finger!

Skip to about 50 seconds in to see the brake actually in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE

This is so beautifully elegant. GOD drat I love living in 2011.

They should take it one further and use a change in static electrical charge to detect the finger so there never has to be any actual contact. Like the same principal that we have all over my College's campus to detect eminent danger of lightning (I live in the lightning capital of the world - right by Kennedy Space Center).

anaemic
Oct 27, 2004

I really like the idea of the SawStop but I've never really understood why the blade needs to be brought to an abrupt stop?
Why wouldn't it be just as effective to have the motor cut out, and the saw retract into the table and spin to a stop at a normal rate? Thereby saving $60 of break-pad plus a new saw blade.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

anaemic posted:

I really like the idea of the SawStop but I've never really understood why the blade needs to be brought to an abrupt stop?
Why wouldn't it be just as effective to have the motor cut out, and the saw retract into the table and spin to a stop at a normal rate? Thereby saving $60 of break-pad plus a new saw blade.

Because how are they going to sell you a 70$ brake cartridge every time you almost cut your finger off. Not to mention the saw manufacturers having it in their best interest for their blade to be destroyed in the process.

It's just business. Annoying, but it's a fact of life, I guess.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Dielectric posted:

The vac is going to fill up in a hurry. It's a relatively simple job to build a tiny cyclone separator for a drywall mud bucket, or you can purchase similar. To get an idea, plug "cyclone separator" into Amazon. You can get one for under $20. I built mine from some MDF and it works really well, and the price was right because I didn't have to buy anything. I pair it with my tiny little Shop-Vac Hangup. You don't need a huge collection volume at the vac because the bucket collects most of the bulk, and the Hangup sucks like you wouldn't believe so it works amazingly well, without taking up a ton of room.

Also, consider this a hugely positive review of the Hangup, it's great for cleaning up the bench, under the saw, and around the lathe.

Had no idea about those separators, that sounds great, thanks for the tip!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait, so how does that work? Where do you plug the shop vac in? The centered tube on the top? Pretend I'm an idiot.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

anaemic posted:

As I understand it, the mechanism that brings the blade into the table is simply the rotational energy of the blade being transferred into the swinging stop. It's easier to just use a shitload of kinetic energy to slam the blade downwards than to use some crazy mechanism to slam the blade downward without all that convenient energy spinning right there.

Plus, whatever could bring the full height of the blade below the depth of the table that quickly just using electricity would be very, very significant and likely more expensive.

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Wait, so how does that work? Where do you plug the shop vac in? The centered tube on the top? Pretend I'm an idiot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_collector#Multiple-cyclone_separators
has a side view illustration of what happens. It looks like the air comes in the side of the thing, spins around and then exits the top after throwing all the dust against the walls of the cone-thingy, which then drops the dust down into whatever you're collecting it with. The next section in that article suggests it may be possible to build one out of a busted dyson and a paint bucket...wheels spinning...

And anyone still in the market for a clearance Ridgid router- depending on the HD store you might be able to have them transfer one from another store to your local if there are any in the area. I just picked up one that way :slick:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right, I was more curious from a practical standpoint. "Air comes in from the side" doesn't really tell much about an actual setup. "Where do you plug the shop vac in" really meant precisely that. See, my shop vac also has an out port, and I could plug that into the side, thus forcing air to swirl around inside the cyclone and exit the top, but of course then my shop vac's reservoir would still be filling up rather than the separator's hopper.

Pretty sure I've got it sorted in my head, was just looking for confirmation. :)

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQZkGFKTtU

Shows the dust coming in from the side, the shop vac is attached to the top-center of the cone, sucking in mostly clean air while the majority of the dust falls to the bottom and into the barrel it's attached to. It looks like that one has some sort of fin molded into the clear portion to kind of direct the airflow into a better spiral.

Here's one where some guy just glue-gunned what looks to be a large pop bottle to an ice-cream pail and hooked up his house vacuum, almost every bit as effective as the one above. The all black hose in this one is what attaches to the dust collection port, the silver/black hose is your shop-vac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA8f0okOwlM

edit: the related videos are all kinds of fun and education too, between those and the Woodwright's shop episodes I guess I have my evening playlist picked out.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

anaemic posted:

Here's a guard system that will stop the blade without breaking things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Here's a guard system that will stop the blade without breaking things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

This is awesome. It looks like on their website they're just in the prototype stages, but I could see this becoming far more popular than SawStop since you don't have to replace your blade AND a cartridge which could easily run you over $200 every time it triggers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It takes a full 1/8th of a second to stop once it senses that proximity, though. That's well over 500 complete turns of the blade, enough to do a lot of damage no it's not, units don't work that way. :saddowns: It's about nine full turns of the blade, though. Granted, that 1/8th of a second theoretically starts ticking before your hand is even under the guard, so you'd have to cover the remaining inch or so and make contact with the blade in less than that time, but that's only, what, 0.5mph? Actually just a little less than.

I'd like to see an analysis of time vs. blade rpm from the time that thing senses proximity to the time the blade is completely stationary. I have a pretty good notion of what it should be, in a general sense, but I'm curious about the specifics. And of course the same thing for the sawstop braking system.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 10, 2011

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

It takes a full 1/8th of a second to stop once it senses that proximity, though. That's well over 500 complete turns of the blade

500 * 8 = 4,000 per second
4000 * 60 = 240,000 per minute

I don't have saw that rotates at 240,000 RPM. I'd love to, just to see the wood vaporize on contact.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh right, I did that as if it was 1/8 of a minute, not 1/8 of a second. Durrr :downs:

So, 9 full turns of the blade? 4500 / 60 = 75rps, 75rps * .125 seconds = 9.375 rotations

I'd still like to see a comparison of rpm vs. time for this and sawstop, though. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2011

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005
I think SawStop might win that one because it's using the rotational energy in the blade to pull it down into the table. The problem is it costs you money every time it does. And let's be honest, 1/8 of a second is going to be enough time unless you're trying to get to that blade in a hurry. It's probably still possible to get injured, but the risk is reduced significantly. And I'll take that over $70 cartridges and $200 new saw blades every time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, definitely, I reeeaaally like that you can just fire the saw back up and keep going, no harm done (to you OR your saw.) That's awesome.

My only other thought is that I wonder how well that setup works with a tilted blade.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

From that video it seems like the system depends on the operator touching the metal part of the guard to activate the brake. Which is fine for the guard in that position, but when you crank it higher for thicker wood there's more chance that you'll run your hands towards the blade without coming anywhere near the metal parts of the guard. It also does nothing of course if the guard is removed.

It's better than nothing and for a lot of situations I'm sure it would work well, but I'm wondering if you'd get lulled into a false sense of security instead of staying alert.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, I wonder if that's actually the case. I assumed it was more like a theremin.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

truncated aardvar posted:

It's better than nothing and for a lot of situations I'm sure it would work well, but I'm wondering if you'd get lulled into a false sense of security instead of staying alert.

I think they advertise it as a "This is only really meant to try to help you in those very rare situations you might lose a finger... You still want to try not to lose one" type deal.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Right, I was more curious from a practical standpoint. "Air comes in from the side" doesn't really tell much about an actual setup. "Where do you plug the shop vac in" really meant precisely that. See, my shop vac also has an out port, and I could plug that into the side, thus forcing air to swirl around inside the cyclone and exit the top, but of course then my shop vac's reservoir would still be filling up rather than the separator's hopper.

Pretty sure I've got it sorted in my head, was just looking for confirmation. :)

Here's my contraption:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

The vac is sucking through the middle hose, which sticks down into the bucket a few inches. The hose from the dust creator is entering at the perimeter, at a jaunty angle to encourage the cyclone to form. It is held in place with plumber's epoxy because that's what was on my bench at the time. My first attempt had the vac line too high inside and it ended up pulling some dust straight over, although heavier stuff still whirled around and fell to the bottom. When I added some more length it really helped cut down on the bypass dust. The plate is two pieces of MDF, one circle fits inside the bucket and the other glued up to rest on the top. There's enough force to keep the whole works together during operation so I didn't even bother with a retention system, or a seal. So it's two round pieces of crap with two holes.

The collection efficiency probably isn't nearly as high as a fancier one with a cone and such, but what do you want for zero dollars and 20 minutes? I pretty much built it in a fit of rage after getting the shop covered in MDF dust from my router table.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet, thanks, thanks pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Unrelated: anyone know of a good way to get the backing off of copper flashing without actually peeling it off (and thereby wrinkling the copper)?

So far, I've tried acetone (no effect), alcohol (no effect), and mineral spirits (works, but slowly, and will itself need to be cleaned off, maybe via the aforementioned alcohol?)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

VoidAltoid posted:

And I'll take that over $70 cartridges and $200 new saw blades every time.

What sawblades are you using, what are they made of, and why are you paying more than double what they should cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, I wonder if that's actually the case. I assumed it was more like a theremin.

You can see the guy deliberately place his finger against the metal and that's when the blade stops.