Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

:geno: - Camaro ZL1, with the LSA engine and magnetic dampers.

Kinda bummed they didn't call it the Z28 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

:dance: - Charger SRT8, with the 6.4l Hemi. This one looks really good.

Err... I was tolerant of the giant trapezoidal "shield grille" in the Audis and even the Evo, but this latest round just looks terrible. At least in those former two, the grille opening itself had a contour and shape of a trapezoid. Now it's just a gaping hole. If the front clip of a car is meant to resemble a face, then this is a face that's been bound and gagged. Or maybe smeared with black paint or opened to obscene dimensions. I call it "hex-mouth"

Click here for the full 680x451 image.

See also, the New Chevy Aveo Sonic whatever

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Click here for the full 900x540 image.

Sorry guys, but as any wargamer can tell you, hexagons aren't cool.

Also, no love for the Veloster Rally Car? I think that debuted at Chicago, right? Or are we only discussing production cars?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The angle and the lighting on the photo sort of emphasize the grill a bit too much, and the new swoopier styling makes the rest of the car look small by comparison. It's not as bad here.

I'm not married to the styling, it serves its purpose.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

Those are pictures of the 8C, they're only speculating that the 4C will look like it.

Oops. At least the 4C still has a chance to look like that render then :)

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, no love for the Veloster Rally Car? I think that debuted at Chicago, right? Or are we only discussing production cars?

Can't love a racer car that hasn't proven itself yet.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Throatwarbler posted:

A whole bunch of poo poo just came out at the Chicago Auto show.

:geno: - Camaro ZL1, with the LSA engine and magnetic dampers.

Sorry, what? This isn't something that's making you jump out of your pants? Redesigned suspension, 550 HORSEPOWER, some shiny new appearance bits, creature comforts like a backup camera, upgraded soundsystem, and embroidered headrests. What's it missing? Especially when compared to the zombiepig charger, I'd take the Chevy all day.

e: A gazillion pictures - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128387

e2: It's supercharged, intercooled, has 6 pot Brembo brakes, ducting from the front fascia to cool the brakes, dual mode exhaust, front splitter... the list goes on and on and on.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 9, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

That's hideous. That lines in the side make no sense.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

The angle and the lighting on the photo sort of emphasize the grill a bit too much, and the new swoopier styling makes the rest of the car look small by comparison. It's not as bad here.

Yeah I agree with you to a point. I'm not totally in the "hate camp" and I like what they've done with the design in some ways. In particular, I think the sculpting of the hood and grille area is pretty well done and the snouty grille forward look from the Ram trucks (or whatever the hell they're calling it now) works. Also, I like the headlights and admire their restraint in not streeeetching them back to the A pillar. However, I think looking at the front mouth from oblique angles makes it look awkward in part because of the blackout paint scheme. That black painted dodge grille hiding on top just looks bad to me, somehow.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Also, I'm not a fan of those hockeystickish cutouts on the doors. They remind me of the ones on the new Insignia, but not as well integrated. I understand that you need some sort of stamping on the doors for panel rigidity, but couldn't they have at least tried to disguise it as a fake brake duct or something? Maybe like a fake box flare look like in the GT-R? It just looks stamped on and doesn't really flow with the body lines that well. I mean move that vertical cut forward or something! The side sculpting looks better in the red car above, but still... Also i sort of wish they had gone with more of the coke-bottle profile of classic Mopar on the rear quarters, but that's getting picky now.

Out of curiosity, what's the name for the "shoulder" area at the beltline that forms a sort of shelf between the body and greenhouse? Turnunder? Tumblehome? Something like that?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess I should come out of the gay-for-Chrysler closet. I like our Intrepid a lot and the new stuff they've come out under FIAT management, new Grand Cherokee, Durango, 300, has looked really good.

http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysler-eminem-super-bowl-ad/?icid=maing%7Caim%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C42433

quote:

Over the past decade, rap legend Eminem has been approached over 100 times to license his classic "Lose Yourself." Up until now, he has refused all bidders, turning down millions of dollars along the way, according to Joel Martin, who controls the Eminem music catalog and has one-third of the writing credit on the song.

But that was until Chrysler chief marketing officer Olivier Francois started selling Martin on how much he wanted the music, and how he had an idea to show off Detroit to the Super Bowl audience, the largest TV audience of the year. To seal the deal, Francois drove a new Chrysler 200 to Martin's office in the Detroit suburb of Ferndale a few days into the New Year. The car was fresh off of the assembly line in neaby Sterling Heights, and hadn't even gone on sale. Francois had Martin and Eminem (whose real name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III) drive the car, as well as a new Chrysler 300, to try and get the music legend to play ball.

"The 200 was like $18,000 and felt like a BMW... We were really impressed," says Martin, who told AOL Autos they agreed to take millions of dollars less than what they had been previously offered in order to be part of the Chrysler ad. "[It was] about 20 percent of what we could have gotten from someone else," he said.

Martin said the idea for the ad that would show Detroit for what it really is, from hard working people to the abandoned buildings, as well as the art and music scene, appealed to them. "The script they showed us was like nothing I had ever seen before," he said, "and Marshall felt the same way."

based in Portland, Oregon. They didn't think "Imported From Detroit" would make it through the bureaucracy at Chrysler. To them, it sounded like one of those ideas that a company gets ginned up about, but then kills for being to crazy and bold. "We just didn't think it was going to fly," said Martin.

The first phase was allowing Chrysler to use the song (though not the lyrics) for a press conference at the North America International Auto Show in Detroit on January 11. Composer Luis Resto, who has the third credit on the song, actually came to Detroit's Cobo Hall and played the music live to go with Francois' presentation. Though the Super Bowl ad deal was not in place yet, Martin and Resto did not charge for the auto show usage. "We were into something pretty interesting, so we wanted to see where it was going," says Resto, who agreed to make some changes to the music based on what Francois was asking for -- an unusual role for the CEO of an auto maker brand to play.

In the week following the auto show, more negotiations about a Super Bowl ad continued. When Eminem eventually agreed to not only have the music be used in the commercial, but to appear in it as well, Francois was on the west coast at a press junket. He had to rush back to Detroit and start overseeing the shooting the ad the week of January 23 -- just two weeks before the game. It would show Detroit at its grayest and grimmest.

Which car would be used in the ad? The whole idea of the ad is to position Chrysler as a legitimate luxury brand. But the Chrysler 200 has a starting price under $20,000, and it has not enjoyed terrific reviews in the press. It was adapted from the Chrysler Sebring, a much-derided model that had questionable styling and a sub-par interior. While the new 200 is vastly improved, perhaps the more obvious choice to star in the Super Bowl ad alongside Eminem would have been the Chrysler 300 sedan. This is a first-class redesign of a well-loved product that reaches a fully optioned sticker price of around $46,000. The problem is that the 300 is built in Brampton, Ontario. Though not far from Detroit, Chrysler felt it could not launch the new brand idea to a Super Bowl audience with a car built in Canada.

Even after settling on the car and getting Eminem's full involvement, there were a few more wrinkles to iron out. The NFL had not allowed two-minute ads, establishing a limit of 90-seconds. The script, which called for taking viewers through numerous images of the city of Detroit and winding up at the Fox Theatre with Eminem and a local African-American choir, required two minutes to be told properly, Francois believed.

Then there was the iced tea issue. Eminem was appearing in another Super Bowl ad -- sort of. Months before, Eminem had agreed to have a claymation image of himself star in a Lipton Brisk iced tea ad. The script calls for the clay Eminem to act like a diva, complaining about the demands of doing a commercial, and how he insists in shooting in his own house so he doesn't have to go anywhere, and records his own songs. When a claymation corporate executive in the ad tells him he can't rename the product, the rap star shoves him off the roof of the building. Ouch.

The ad was anything but serious, and would be juxtaposed against the much more earnest message from Chrysler. It would also mean that Chrysler would no longer be unique in using Eminem. "We felt so strongly about the idea and script that we looked right past it," said Francois.

It paid off. "Chrysler 200" was the number two search term on Super Bowl Sunday on Google, beating out the Black Eyed Peas, the band that performed during halftime. Search traffic for the Chrysler 200 on AOL Autos was 685 percent higher than normal on Monday and it topped all vehicle searches on AOL's Autoblog.com. NBC Nightly News did a feature on the ad. And a poll conducted by auto industry trade weekly Automotive News, which asked readers to rank all the auto ads in the big game, chose the Chrysler ad by a long-shot, with more than 40 percent choosing it by Tuesday after the game. At publication, the ad had received over five million viewings on YouTube, a number that will likely grow, as Chrysler was one of the only advertisers not to make their commercial available before the game.

"In a way, the Brisk ad kind of set up the Chrysler ad because the character talks about why he never does ads," said Martin.

Indeed, Eminem had appeared in an Apple iTunes ad several years ago, though it was just to promote the iTunes release of a greatest hits album. Apple, says Martin, asked to use "Lose Yourself" to promote the whole Apple product line. Eminem and Martin turned down Apple and its celebrity CEO Steve Jobs.

"The city of Detroit is really important to Marshall," says Martin. "Two years ago, Marshall was down for the count, and he understands what Chrysler is trying to do," says the rapper's partner, referring to the extremely poor reception of his 2009 album "Relapse," which was released after a five year hiatus.

That was the same year that Chrysler was forced into bankruptcy and accepted a bailout from the Federal government to stay in business. "I felt very strongly about this piece of music and Eminem," says Francois. "I don't believe in using celebrities and famous people just for the sake of it... Their story has to make sense in the story of the ad."

Francois was born in France, and has been running the marketing for Fiat in Europe, as well as the overall business of the Lancia brand in Europe. His job in the U.S. is similar, running all marketing for Chrysler, as well as all the business of the Chrysler brand. As a foreigner, and only a part-time resident in the Detroit area, his interest in the city's plight and story ironically runs deeper in some ways than auto industry executives who have spent their whole career around the city.

Eminem has been doing more publicity and promotion work in support of his latest album, "Recovery," with the National Hockey League, video game company Activision, and Pepsi, which markets Brisk. He is also performing on this weekend's Grammy awards show, where he has eleven nominations, the most of any artist. But his anthem, "Lose Yourself," is only going to be used for Chrysler. The ad will run in shorter versions on other TV broadcasts.

Advertising Age magazine referred to Eminem as "the comeback story of the year," which is another association Francois would like to see for Chrysler, as well as the City of Detroit.

Olivier Francois actually has a music degree and composes his own music, and he's taking personal charge of a lot of their marketing.

Not that the Camaro isn't a great car, but it's just that GM has been hyping up the current bodystyle for so long, and took such a long time to bring it to market, it feels boring already.

EDIT: I see A5H is still wrong about everything, as usual. :allears:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 9, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You seriously think that is a good design touch? Hahaha.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I should come out of the gay-for-Chrysler closet. I like our Intrepid a lot and the new stuff they've come out under FIAT management, new Grand Cherokee, Durango, 300, has looked really good.
I mean they've done a great job with their facelifts, especially the 200. While the roofline looks substantially similar, some of the other proportions have been tweaked. The new beltline and reduced front overhang totally change the look of the 200C. The more sculpted doors and fenders, detailing like the front grille, and the removal of that atrocious ribbed hood are miles and miles ahead. There's a premium euro feel that evokes the new Buicks. Or maybe that's just because they're both being displayed in dark brown. Strangely, maybe due to the taillights or whatever, the first thought in my head when seeing shots of the new 200 was "This is what Acura should look like, drat it." But with MSRP under $20k, somehow I think people will be disappointed. It sound stupid, but Chrysler needs to raise prices (and quality) if they really want to be near-luxury.

Click here for the full 671x449 image.

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

However, I still don't have a lot of confidence in Marchionne. He's too slick, and we've seen this story before. I worry he's just going to finish the job MB started and eventually gut Chrysler forever. Oh well, at least he's not a total mouth-breather like "Lt. Dan" Ackerson.

I like Autoextremist's take on it:
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2011/2/6/the-autoextremist.html

Peter M. De Lorenzo posted:

No matter how much good Marchionne achieves – and by no means is his “blending” strategy of Fiat and Chrysler vehicle architectures guaranteed to be a success – he has well and truly revealed himself to be just another in a long line of industrial pariahs, a carpetbagging opportunist whose sense of entitlement and spectacularly deep-rooted hubris knows no bounds, and one who ultimately has one interest and one interest only: Dining on the wreckage of a failed company for personal gain.

And a link to his excoriation of GM head Ackerson:
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2011/1/23/the-autoextremist.html
edit: this quote from above article

quote:

If this is a business about product cadence – which it most definitely is – then the “new” General Motors is on a runaway train to Hell. After all, this is a guy who has proudly admitted “I’m not a car guy” from the get-go, underlining that statement by making some plainly horrific comments to the Wall Street Journal in a revealing interview conducted right before the Detroit Auto Show.

Do you want to know just how dangerous this guy is to the future stability of GM? In that interview Akerson insisted that GM has too many engines globally, and he’s going to “fix” that. Uh, and he’s basing that on what, exactly? Secondly, Akerson is quite certain that GM is spending too much time and money differentiating sheet metal between the divisional nameplates, when a little creative marketing would suffice.
Guess what? I’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t end well. The only difference between GM then and GM now is that this is a company that has only recently emerged from the Abyss of bankruptcy, one that can ill-afford a single misstep brought upon by misguided leadership, even though it has the most competitive lineup it has had in decades. And make no mistake: Dan Akerson’s “leadership” is at the very least misguided.

How misguided? The provocative statements Akerson has made to the press - implying that he has ordered the product development troops to cut $10,000 worth of cost out of the Volt, for instance - don’t even come close to the bone-headed orders he regularly fires off behind closed doors.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 9, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That article about Marchionne is mind blowingly stupid for a litany of reasons, but I don't get what the gently caress De Lorenzo thinks should have been done instead of selling Chrysler to Marchionne and appointing a temporary CEO for GM.

Edit: I don't exactly have "confidence" in Marchionne but it's not like anyone has much of a choice, do they? He was willing to take a risk on Chrysler when nobody else was.

edit2: holy hell, De Lorenzo is a lovely columnist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 9, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

However, I still don't have a lot of confidence in Marchionne. He's too slick, and we've seen this story before. I worry he's just going to finish the job MB started and eventually gut Chrysler forever. Oh well, at least he's not a total mouth-breather like "Lt. Dan" Ackerson.

I like Autoextremist's take on it:
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2011/2/6/the-autoextremist.html

And a link to his excoriation of GM head Ackerson:
http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2011/1/23/the-autoextremist.html

I usually don't mind Delorenzo but man, there's a lot of sensationalist axe grinding in his recent pieces. For example on Autoline a couple of episodes ago he was blasting Ackerson because Ackerson said that GM had too many V6 engines and should cut it down to just a few. Where he got that I have no idea, because GM has something like 4 or 5 different V6 engine families ("High Feature", Vortec, "High Value", the SAAB/Opel 2.8l, the old 60*) when every other car company seems to be able to get by with 1 or 2. Anyone can see that Ackerson is right and GM should at least seriously consider eliminating most of them. Maybe there is some good reason not to but the way Delorenzo is all :smug: about it, like how GM will never sell another V6 truck if it replaced the pushrod V6 with a OHC or something? I don't know what his problem is.

As far as whether Marchionne is going to "gut" chrysler, the latest news is that he's in trouble with the Italian government because he might move FIAT's headquarters to Detroit.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2515333e-321d-11e0-a820-00144feabdc0.html

Yes, he says things sometimes that are not very nice. Sometimes they are about his own cars too.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/marchionne-jeep-commander-was-unfit-for-human-consumption.html

Sergio Marchionne posted:

“That car was unfit for human consumption,” Marchionne said of the Commander. “We sold some. But I don’t know why people bought them.”

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 9, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

He's a marketing guy, so he would think that the small value in being able to differentiate between brands based on engines would outweigh the cost of tooling and production and development of entire engine lines.

Forgive me if I tend to think that a marketing guy knows jack poo poo about... you know, roughly anything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That article about Marchionne is mind blowingly stupid for a litany of reasons, but I don't get what the gently caress De Lorenzo thinks should have been done instead of selling Chrysler to Marchionne and appointing a temporary CEO for GM.

Edit: I don't exactly have "confidence" in Marchionne but it's not like anyone has much of a choice, do they? He was willing to take a risk on Chrysler when nobody else was.

Well he admits that selling to Marchionne was basically the only real alternative, but he's saying not to buy into the current media hype that he will save the brand. The article itself is a response to Marchionne's comment that the government bailout that basically handed Chrysler to FIAT for free were "shyster loans". What the hell?

quote:

Here’s a guy who strolled in back in early 2009 knowing full well that the U.S. government had exactly zero options on the table to salvage Chrysler, and that if they allowed Chrysler to sink that it could conceivably drag the rest of the U.S. auto industry – and its supplier network – down with it. So Marchionne basically fronts very little of Fiat’s cash and in turn is handed the keys to Chrysler lock, stock, and barrel.

It was shrewdly calculated and there was no mistaking what Sergio had in mind for the End Game all along – which I emphatically stated from Day One, by the way – and that was to merge the companies – whether the merged entity was called Chrysler-Fiat, Fiat-Chrysler, Fiat North America or just plain Fiat it didn’t really matter – and successfully launch a second-tier global empire on bundles of U.S. taxpayer cash and on the backs of Chrysler employees, at least the ones still left at any rate. Oh it was a beautiful plan alright, as long as no one bothered to look at it too closely to see that Marchionne was getting the steal of this or any other decade.

And now he has the balls to complain about the interest rate he’s paying on the government loans? Really? (Marchionne’s Minions are feverishly trying to negotiate a better deal with the government in order to get a reduced interest rate as you read this.)

Marchionne no doubt has to be considered the Opportunist of the Century so far at the very least, intentionally weaseling his way into a situation that the government was finding completely untenable – knowing full well that he was their only option – while walking away with Chrysler for a song. But complaining about a flat-out gift that allowed him to seize control of one of the Detroit Three for basically nothing? How heroic is the sense of entitlement that this guy must have? Just because he has no life and works himself and his troops 24/7 he thinks he can blithely step up to the plate and say he’s getting shafted by “shyster” interest rates? Wow.

And as for GM, what he wants is for the Board of Directors to not be a pack of idiots and for them to find someone to be CEO who has SOME sort of experience in the auto industry. Someone. Anyone. Ackerson had a degree in engineering and was in the Navy. Good. But then he's worked at MCI, General Instrument (a semi-conductor manufacturer), Nextel, XO communications (now bankrupt), before jumping to private equity. Notice a hole in this resume? It's 100% telecom and electronics. The guy's hardly ever even worked selling stuff to consumers. He does not understand the auto industry, yet he seems unwilling to learn - he thinks he can just walk in and fix everything because he's such a genius.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He's a marketing guy, so he would think that the small value in being able to differentiate between brands based on engines would outweigh the cost of tooling and production and development of entire engine lines.

Forgive me if I tend to think that a marketing guy knows jack poo poo about... you know, roughly anything.

What? Ackerson is the one who wants to use fewer engines (i.e. rely more on marketing to differentiate the brands), Delorenzo is the one who wants to keep all the different engines.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Well he admits that selling to Marchionne was basically the only real alternative, but he's saying not to buy into the current media hype that he will save the brand. The article itself is a response to Marchionne's comment that the government bailout that basically handed Chrysler to FIAT for free were "shyster loans". What the hell?

IIRC Rattner wanted to sell Chrysler to Renault-Nissan (Ghosn had no interest).

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I think the absurd amounts of money being handed to executives, especially CEOs, convinces them that they are great and awesome regardless of whether there is any supporting evidence. Professional failures like Meg Whitman keep getting bigger and bigger salaries which are inversely proportional to the success of the companies they were hired to run, many of which they run right into the ground before being hired as CEO somewhere else (or get elected to powerful government positions, and if they spectacularly fail at that as well, they can always be appointed).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

What? Ackerson is the one who wants to use fewer engines (i.e. rely more on marketing to differentiate the brands), Delorenzo is the one who wants to keep all the different engines.

Yes, I'm saying that DeLorenzo, as a marketing weenie, would think that having more engines would be better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

And as for GM, what he wants is for the Board of Directors to not be a pack of idiots and for them to find someone to be CEO who has SOME sort of experience in the auto industry. Someone. Anyone. Ackerson had a degree in engineering and was in the Navy. Good. But then he's worked at MCI, General Instrument (a semi-conductor manufacturer), Nextel, XO communications (now bankrupt), before jumping to private equity. Notice a hole in this resume? It's 100% telecom and electronics. The guy's hardly ever even worked selling stuff to consumers. He does not understand the auto industry, yet he seems unwilling to learn - he thinks he can just walk in and fix everything because he's such a genius.

Yeah that guy Mulally at Ford who didn't have experience in the auto industry sucks.

I might be willing to take DeLorenzo slightly more seriously if 1) I thought he had any clue what he was talking about and 2) he could make a cogent point without degenerating in to poo poo like

quote:

It was shrewdly calculated and there was no mistaking what Sergio had in mind for the End Game all along – which I emphatically stated from Day One, by the way – and that was to merge the companies – whether the merged entity was called Chrysler-Fiat, Fiat-Chrysler, Fiat North America or just plain Fiat it didn’t really matter – and successfully launch a second-tier global empire on bundles of U.S. taxpayer cash and on the backs of Chrysler employees, at least the ones still left at any rate. Oh it was a beautiful plan alright, as long as no one bothered to look at it too closely to see that Marchionne was getting the steal of this or any other decade.

where he doesn't say anything new, comes across as whiny, and jerks himself off for good measure.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, I'm saying that DeLorenzo, as a marketing weenie, would think that having more engines would be better.

Oh. DeLorenzo's complaint about Ackerson is that Ackerson is a marketing guy. I forgot that DeLorenzo is too. Anyway all his complaints about Ackerson or Marchionne are either wild extrapolations that are impossible to substantiate or straight up nonsense.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah that guy Mulally at Ford who didn't have experience in the auto industry sucks.

I might be willing to take DeLorenzo slightly more seriously if 1) I thought he had any clue what he was talking about and 2) he could make a cogent point without degenerating in to poo poo like

where he doesn't say anything new, comes across as whiny, and jerks himself off for good measure.

In his earlier articles, DeLorenzo is guardedly optimistic about Ackerson. His opinion only changes after Ackerson needlessly sacks his head of product development and replaces him with a loyalist manager from outside the company who knows nothing about product development OR the auto industry. I also think his comparison to former GM CEO John Smith and Chairman John Smale is far more apt. This is the brain trust that ran GM into the ground in the 90s.

In part I'm biased by my love of attack articles instead of the typical press pussyfooting or outright fellation that you see when talking about corporate managers. But at the same time, when taken in the context of Ackerson's various comments in the media about his thoughts on product development and planning, I think that his analysis of Ackerson's character and ability is quite accurate.

quote:

Let’s see, carpetbagging interloper plucked from corporate obscurity by a flat-out incompetent board of directors and then handed the keys to the candy store just for showing up that day? Check.

Instant "expert" who has studied the business for oh, about ten minutes, and who now boasts as to how he will set the industry straight and show everyone how it should be done? Check.

Talking “customer-focused” decision making while putting product development on a cost-cutting binge that takes precedence over everything else, because after all, we’ll fix it in marketing, right? Check.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh. DeLorenzo's complaint about Ackerson is that Ackerson is a marketing guy. I forgot that DeLorenzo is too. Anyway all his complaints about Ackerson or Marchionne are either wild extrapolations that are impossible to substantiate or straight up nonsense.

Yeah, DeLorenzo is a marketing guy. I wonder why he has to write his lovely blog instead of being part of the team that solves Chrysler/GM/whomever's problems? :iiam:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

In part I'm biased by my love of attack articles instead of the typical press pussyfooting or outright fellation that you see when talking about corporate managers. But at the same time, when taken in the context of Ackerson's various comments in the media about his thoughts on product development and planning, I think that his analysis of Ackerson's character and ability is quite accurate.

I like a good attack article as much as the next guy if not more so, but you have to understand that attack articles rarely offer anything of value whatsoever.

Without the ridiculous hyperbole, your little checklist criticisms basically apply to Mulally. I'm not willing to criticize Ackerson over things he's correct about just because he happens to not be Bob Lutz. I don't think that DeLorenzo has any better analysis of Ackerson's character than you or I do.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

A5H posted:

That's hideous. That lines in the side make no sense.

Viper

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like a good attack article as much as the next guy if not more so, but you have to understand that attack articles rarely offer anything of value whatsoever.

Without the ridiculous hyperbole, your little checklist criticisms basically apply to Mulally. I'm not willing to criticize Ackerson over things he's correct about just because he happens to not be Bob Lutz. I don't think that DeLorenzo has any better analysis of Ackerson's character than you or I do.

Dunno, Mulally doesn't really match any of the points on that list. He was fairly well known when they brought him in, and he worked at Boeing which means he has experience with development as well as working with unions.

When he came into the company, he didn't immediately start cutting loose experienced managers and replace them with unqualified loyalists.

His "Way Forward" cost-cutting restructuring cut current production and production facilities, but actually increased spending on R&D.

I can understand why his tone annoys people, but if you actually read his coverage of Ackerson I think it's accurate. The dude is a GM insider and obviously Ackerson pissed him off by firing people he liked. But I know that everyone I know in the auto industry reads his blog.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For what it's worth (which isn't a whole lot), I work in the industry and this is the first time I've heard of the guy. Can't say I'm impressed. There's no actual analysis - just a lot of opinions and vitriol. Basically Old GM in a nutshell.

edit: anyway, I'm finished with this conversation... let's talk about new cars!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 9, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Viper

That's the other way up, and it actually flows, and it's in front of the door, and it's an actual vent.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Preoptopus posted:

Viper

Try late 60s Charger.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dave Inc. posted:

Question: How insane would one have to be to buy a first year model from Alfa?

(I'm already toying with the idea of getting a used one a few years after release)

The good thing about Alfas is the issue show up so quickly you'll know one way or the other by the time a few years are up.

Also resale is horrendous, I could pick up an early 166 for ~$3500 USD

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

A5H posted:

That's the other way up, and it actually flows, and it's in front of the door, and it's an actual vent.

Not saying it was the same or the inspiration they had, but its all I can see. I dno... Looks awkward tho.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Try late 60s Charger.

What, these?

Totally not the same lines. If the new charger's swoopy thing lined up with the fender in front and actually looked like a vent or whatever, or was just a little depression in the door like that '68 above, it might actually look good.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Maybe this? 1970

Click here for the full 800x415 image.

But then again this is mostly decals or whatever.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

WTF it's like a GTR and a Charger had a baby.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes please let's post 3 pages of [new car] looks like [old car].

Actually let's not do that because I can read 100 pages of that poo poo every day on any other car blog.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ozziegt posted:

WTF it's like a GTR and a Charger had a baby.

It doesn't look right to me. The swoosh door scoop doesn't line up with the rear or front of the car. When my eyes drift from the front clip, past the wheel, to the scoop, I feel like front end is tilted. Then, if I follow the scoop lines to the rear, it seems even more tilted compared to the front. It's an abomination.

I hope it's fast.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Just squaring that swoosh up to the fender panel seam helps a lot IMO. Here's the original next to one I shat out:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I just realized, imagine getting a small ding in that door.....

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203525404576050070062206368.html?mod=WSJ_article_related

quote:

Mr. Akerson isn't a "car guy." Call him GM's accidental CEO. The job "is not something I expected or sought," the former telecom executive says. "I'm not that special, but someone had to stand up."
Best quote, from a 2009 marketing meeting showing just how out of touch this guy is:

Dan Akerson posted:

"Nobody cares about fuel economy. When it's empty, you fill it, period. Why are we advertising something that nobody cares about?"

Missed 90s GM? Look forward to more marketing, less engineering, and lots of corner cutting!

quote:

At a recent meeting with his executive team, he interrupted a technical discussion on a future vehicle. "See this can?" Mr. Akerson said, picking up his Diet Coke. "It's a consumer product. GM has to start acting like a consumer-driven, not engineering-driven, company. We sell a consumer product—our can just costs $30,000."
Mr. Akerson's moves so far suggest where he is taking the company. He killed a vehicle nearing production whose exterior didn't excite focus groups, even though they loved its interior. "It's like a pretty girl. If you don't like the outside, you won't get to know the inside," he says.
When he saw that several promising vehicles wouldn't be ready until 2014, he said, "During World War II, GM produced tanks and equipment within four years. Why should it take four years to put a car out?"

The CEO liked some new Corvette styling but noted that it wouldn't be available until 2014. "If you make this happen by 2013, I will make you a vice president," he told a design director. Reviewing engine plans, Mr. Akerson stopped managers in mid-presentation. "Why do we have 18 types of engines? We have only four brands," he said.

"Let me help you understand," replied Tom Stephens, the global product chief, who described GM's tradition of making a variety of engines, including one the 62-year-old Mr. Stephens himself designed in his 42 years at the company.

So, new Corvette is semi-confirmed for 2014. Hopefully they don't decide to start cutting, say, the three different engines offered in the current C6 (LS7, LS3, LS9) - all of which I argue can be justified. Now, my reckoning of exactly what is meant by "engine types" may be inaccurate, but typically the fastest way for the beancounters to meet meaningless metrics such as "number of engine types" will be to cut "niche" performance products and engineering in favor of retarded high-concept marketing stunts like Ackerson's current proposal: to add social media capabilities to OnStar. What the hell?

quote:

Mr. Akerson wants GM to ... "bet the company," as he puts it. That's what he once did at Nextel, when he made a big bet on a cellphone feature called "push to talk."

He is emphasizing not just the Volt but also an older technology, the OnStar service for drivers in distress. He envisions making it an interactive network by which drivers could update their Facebook status or take requests from family members to run an errand.... Mr. Akerson's heavy stress on marketing has caused differences with his division heads.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203525404576050070062206368.html?mod=WSJ_article_related

Best quote, from a 2009 marketing meeting showing just how out of touch this guy is:

Missed 90s GM? Look forward to more marketing, less engineering, and lots of corner cutting!

So, new Corvette is semi-confirmed for 2014. Hopefully they don't decide to start cutting, say, the three different engines offered in the current C6 (LS7, LS3, LS9) - all of which I argue can be justified. Now, my reckoning of exactly what is meant by "engine types" may be inaccurate, but typically the fastest way for the beancounters to meet meaningless metrics such as "number of engine types" will be to cut "niche" performance products and engineering in favor of retarded high-concept marketing stunts like Ackerson's current proposal: to add social media capabilities to OnStar. What the hell?

Holy :doh:
This is the prime example of everything Execs are doing wrong when customers ask wtf higher ups of struggling companies are thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If that's accurate...

Holy poo poo, this guy is exactly what Ford fans were scared Mullaly would be.