Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nenonen posted:

Is there actual factual basis for this?

Apparently according to Wikipedia it's factually dubious. The rest of his arguments check out at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Nenonen posted:

From Wikipedia:
Due to his supposedly Islamic name, some Muslim Americans have suggested that Peter Salem was a Muslim. Others have accused proponents of the theory of historical revisionism. The basis for the theory appears to be local legend rather than solid historical record.

Blackpast.org:
Some have attempted to link Peter’s last name with the Arabic “Saleem” (one who is peaceful); however there is no concrete evidence that this is the case.

Jrank Encyclopedia:
Little is known about his early life. He was originally owned by Captain Jeremiah Belknap. It is believed that Salem was named by Belknap for his own hometown of Salem, Massachusetts.

An article on Telegram.com:
And now Peter Salem is taking on a new historical role. Amir Mohammed, a researcher in the role of Muslims in early American history, has raised the possibility that Mr. Salem was a Muslim. When he was freed, he dropped the name of Buckminster, the name of his master, and took the name of Salem. Salem, sometimes spelled “Saleem,” is an Arabic word for peace. Several entries on Facebook and other Internet sites discuss Mr. Salem and his possible Muslim background.
Although it is possible that he had Muslim roots, it will be hard to prove, given the lack of documentation. Arab slave traders were active in Africa in the 1700s, and some of their captives were exposed to Islamic teachings. Researchers have identified a number of slaves as Muslims. But whether Peter Salem was one of them is hard to say. The main histories of Leicester do not mention any Muslim connection.

In other words: Inconclusive.

Regardless: Miss Fats, that is a terrific breakdown :golfclap:

Angry Avocado fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 8, 2011

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One thing I'd like to add to Miss Fats' great breakdown:

crime fighting hog posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, I
forgot to mention the Barbary Pirates.
They were Muslim.

I wonder what the founding fathers thought of this. Let's see what the 1797's Treaty of Tripoli says...

quote:

“As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nenonen posted:

No. It's possible but not confirmed by any kind of historical document. Most of the rest of the response is solidly grounded in fact though.

e: beatd hard

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I'll take one dubious fact in response to a document of pure fabrication any day. Regardless, even had there been absolutely no muslims fighting in the revolutionary war, "heritage" doesn't mean literally built this country. We owe quite a bit to Muslim and Arab influence (and it's important not to conflate the two).

Good luck landing on the moon without the Muslim renaissance.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Miss Fats posted:

I'll take one dubious fact in response to a document of pure fabrication any day. Regardless, even had there been absolutely no muslims fighting in the revolutionary war, "heritage" doesn't mean literally built this country. We owe quite a bit to Muslim and Arab influence (and it's important not to conflate the two).

Good luck landing on the moon without the Muslim renaissance.

Just as an aside, it is best not to go with the dubious fact. Someone who would write a rebuttal to your rebuttal could easily seize upon one dubious fact and use it to (fallaciously) poison the well of all the other good stuff.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just as an aside, it is best not to go with the dubious fact. Someone who would write a rebuttal to your rebuttal could easily seize upon one dubious fact and use it to (fallaciously) poison the well of all the other good stuff.

These people aren't exactly into fact checking. I understand what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that these people don't fact check anything. They'll more likely just dismiss my entire post out of hand (without bothering to actually read it). Those sympathetic to my post may fact check (as we've proven) but you guys already agree with me anyway so who cares. ^_^ Anyway, regardless of Peter Salem's beliefs, there were plenty of American Muslims in the revolution or at least working (as slaves) on the side of the US. On top of that, Morocco was the first country in the entire world to recognize the USA as an independent nation.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Miss Fats posted:

These people aren't exactly into fact checking. I understand what you're saying.
You might be surprised! People in general are much more inclined to fact check things that disagree with their preconceived notions than things that agree. Just because they forward long lists of lies doesn't mean they won't pick up the one unverified fact in your response.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Thomas Jefferson was literally God

quote:

Thomas Jefferson

AN AWESOME REMINDER TO EVERY PERSON WHO CONSIDERS HIM/HERSELF AN AMERICAN

How did Jefferson know?

Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in
life and never stopped.

· At 5, began studying under his cousins’ tutor.

· At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

· At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

· At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

· At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

· At 23, started his own law practice.

· At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

· At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British
America" and retired from his law practice.

· At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

· At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence.

· At 33, took three years to revise Virginia 's legal code and wrote a Public
Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

· At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

· At 40, served in Congress for two years.

· At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial
treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

· At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

· At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American
Philosophical Society.

· At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of
Republican Party.

· At 57, was elected the third president of the United States .

· At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation's size.

· At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

· At 65, retired to Monticello .

· At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

· At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served
as its first president.

· At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of
Independence along with John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson knew what he was talking about because he-himself studied the
previous failed attempts at government.

He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of
man.

That happens to be waaay more than what most understand today. Jefferson
really knew his stuff.

A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest
minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps
the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White
House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall
become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff109181.html>

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff122881.html>

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A
principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff136389.html>

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of
them.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff136410..html>

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too
much government.
Thomas Jefferson <https://uwmail.uwyo.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff125076..html>

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff100991..html>

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff109180.html>

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157246..html>

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks
and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of
all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their
fathers conquered.”

I wish we could get this out to everyone!!!

I'm doing my part. Please do yours…

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/j/jefferson-quotes.htm

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Jefferson also owned slaves and had several children with one of his slaves. That's it, time to bring back slavery, right?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

And as we all know he also owned a Koran and made his own Bible with the supernatural stuff cut out. But let's not get distracted from MAH RITE TO USE GUNS [on my own property].

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Not to mention that Jefferson was a hardcore agrarian, so of course he wouldn't have a high opinion of cities.

We're never going to get rid of this cult that's popped up around the founders of this country, are we?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

EnsGDT posted:

Thomas Jefferson was literally God

I thought the Texans recently stripped most of his history out of the high school curriculum.

WHICH ONE IS IT CONSERVATIVES?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The first three of those facts aren't even remotely impressive.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

the posted:

But he studied ADDITIONAL LANGUAGES!

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

the posted:

Yes they are.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blarghalt posted:

Not to mention that Jefferson was a hardcore agrarian, so of course he wouldn't have a high opinion of cities.

We're never going to get rid of this cult that's popped up around the founders of this country, are we?

It's pretty bizarre. I don't think there's any other developed countries that fetishes it's past to the same extend. Maybe there's chain mails about Napoleon in France and Canute the Great in Scandinavia but I never heard of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jefferson also owned slaves and had several children with one of his slaves. That's it, time to bring back slavery, right?

That's not entirely fair he released them before his death didn't he? Not a saint I know but better than many at the time and I'd say he saw the error of his ways even if it was late.

I wonder how whoever wrote that would feel about Jefferson's views on religion.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's not entirely fair he released them before his death didn't he? Not a saint I know but better than many at the time and I'd say he saw the error of his ways even if it was late.

He released a few slaves when he died, likely his blood relatives. Even then, releasing slaves when you can no longer benefit from them is a rather empty gesture. It's like saying men like Robert E Lee were against slavery, because they gave meek disapproval of the institution but wouldn't do anything because only God could and should do away with slavery. That's more an apology for the inconsistencies of their humanistic ideals with their taste for slave labor than any disapproval.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

RagnarokAngel posted:

No, that was Washington. Jefferson was too broke for that and released only a bare few, the rest went against his massive debts. He saw the error of slavery super early and made some tentative steps towards trying to abolish it in his early career, talked some extreme views for his time, but seems to have decided/realized that it was a political impossibility, accepted the status quo since he thought slavery would die out on its own within a few generations, and went on to other causes. You can call that political and moral cowardice, admirable realism, or whatever you want.
People poo poo on the slave owning, Washington's fake teeth, and so forth too reflexively, though, as if doing evil but standard things immediately invalidates everything good they could do. It's itself a perpetuation of founder worship in a way, or at least its opposite (founder demonization?), in that it casts past actors as abstract beings of pure light or dark instead of humans. It also won't be entirely fair when people poo poo all over Clinton in 100 years for Don't Ask, Don't Tell, because he didn't instead campaign for full allowance of open homosexual enrollment, gay marriage, and equal rights all around.

RogueTrick
Oct 27, 2006
Reverend to the Pirate Nation

Anosmoman posted:

It's pretty bizarre. I don't think there's any other developed countries that fetishes it's past to the same extend. Maybe there's chain mails about Napoleon in France and Canute the Great in Scandinavia but I never heard of it.

Need to think of a country that wasn't founded on religion and thus attempted to turn their founding figures into gods. Turkey and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk comes directly to mind. Also, many communist regimes.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Pfirti86 posted:

I thought the Texans recently stripped most of his history out of the high school curriculum.

WHICH ONE IS IT CONSERVATIVES?

Yeah, I wish they'd teach about Sam Houston, first President of Texas, slaveholder, member of the Cherokee Nation, Unionist, and anti-Confederate.

It would blow their minds.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

berzerker posted:

No, that was Washington.
Washington freed all the slaves he owned upon his death, and left each of them individually sufficient resources to educate themselves, purchase land, or otherwise ensure their own livelihoods. His wife owned a substantial number of the slaves at Mt. Vernon (she was much wealthier than he was when they got married), however, and I think she retained ownership of them and passed it on to her children. Source: information from the awesome tour at Mt. Vernon.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Not an email, but I'm a huge fan of this thread and need to share this sheer amount of crazy: Bryan Fischer: Native Americans morally disqualified themselves from the land

Here's a taste (bolding mine, although I really almost bolded the whole thing):

Bryan Fischer posted:

The native American tribes ultimately resisted the appeal of Christian Europeans to leave behind their superstition and occult practices for the light of Christianity and civilization. They in the end resisted every attempt to “Christianize the Savages of the Wilderness,” to use George Washington’s phrase.

They rejected Washington’s direct counsel to the Delaware chiefs in 1779, “You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ.”

Thomas Jefferson three times signed legislation appropriating federal tax dollars for the evangelizing of the Native American tribes. It all came to nought, as one tribe after another rejected the offer of spiritual light and advanced civilization.

Missionaries were murdered in cold blood, including Marcus Whitman, who was tomahawked to death in his own house in 1848 by the Cayuse and Umatilla Indians in what became the Oregon Territory.

God explained to the nation of Israel that because of the “abomination(s)” of the indigenous Canaanite tribes, the land had become unclean and “vomited out its inhabitants (Lev. 18:25).”

Is this to say the same holds true for native American tribes today? In many respects, the answer is of course no. But in some senses, the answer is yes. Many of the tribal reservations today remain mired in poverty and alcoholism because many native Americans continue to cling to the darkness of indigenous superstition instead of coming into the light of Christianity and assimilating into Christian culture.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.
Is he aware that most Indians alive today are Christians? Or are they just not Christian enough?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Not an email, but I'm a huge fan of this thread and need to share this sheer amount of crazy: Bryan Fischer: Native Americans morally disqualified themselves from the land

Here's a taste (bolding mine, although I really almost bolded the whole thing):

Christ, I'm a poor dumb Brit with limited knowledge of US history, but I thought the 6 nations(or whatever the Cherokee called themselves) were starting to try to adapt white style laws and institutions when they got kicked out on the trail of tears?

And could you compare the outcry over mosques today with missionaries getting chopped up back then?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DSPaul posted:

Is he aware that most Indians alive today are Christians? Or are they just not Christian enough?

To him, I'd imagine religions like the Native American Church (mnany sects of which syncretize Christian thoughts and practices with traditional belief systems) are inspired by Satan.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Logan 5 posted:

Uh. Yeah. gently caress Bryan Fisher:

Wikipedia posted:

In response to the Fort Hood shooting in November 2009, Fischer wrote that the government should "stop the practice of allowing Muslims to serve in the U.S. military. The reason is simple: the more devout a Muslim is, the more of a threat he is to national security."[2][3] Since then, he has advocated for the forced removal of all Muslims from the United States, writing that "simple Judeo-Christian compassion dictates a restriction and repatriation policy with regard to Muslim immigration into the U.S."[4] In August 2010, Fischer opposed the construction of the Muslim Park51 community center near the World Trade Center site, believing it to be a mosque and claiming that the building signified a "subversive ideology". He stated that "Muslims cannot claim religious freedom protections under the First Amendment."[5] On his radio program, Fischer called for a halt in the construction of all American mosques, saying, "Permits, in my judgment, should not be granted to build even one more mosque in the United States of America. Not one! We ought to be done with the building of mosques in the United States of America."[6] He also claimed that the Islamic religion is "racist" and compared it to the Ku Klux Klan.[

I don't know how some of these people manage to go to top universities and still turn out so stupid (and I don't think he was a legacy).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I've gotten into a long back-and-forth today with one of my FB acquaintances. It invariably happens, because he posts some half-cocked bullshit that he believes is true, I comment on it, pointing out the error, and he launches into me being an Obama shill ("buttboy"), starts flinging around strawmen, and generally making an rear end of himself while throwing out unfounded idiocy and claiming that *I'm* full of poo poo (typically Rovian tactic). Anyway, the highlight of this is that he eventually came out claiming that Carter's administration caused the housing bubble that led to the current state of the economy, and that there are two congressional committee findings that support him. :rolleyes:

Of course, he's yet to produce those findings - but he's now claiming that I said that Obama's past as a professor means he'll make a good president. For reference, he's extrapolating from the initial comment and response, which was in pertinent part:

quote:

This clown's [Obama] never hired or fired anybody, had to meet a weekly payroll, or even had a real private-sector job in his life.
To which I responded:

quote:

Yeah, man, like, professors, senators and presidents totally don't have to worry about budgets constraints, staff turnover, owner/shareholder/voter/public opinion and pressure, funding, etc... This Clownbama guy is totally unqualified. Why, I bet he never even ran for president before 2008. Loooooooooseer.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 9, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Pfirti86 posted:

I don't know how some of these people manage to go to top universities and still turn out so stupid (and I don't think he was a legacy).

He's also the guy that got angry someone won the Medal of Honor for saving lives instead of for killing people.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Pfirti86 posted:

So, looks like the SPLC's designation of the AFA as a hate group is getting more and more accurate every day.

I mean, seriously, this is outright white supremacist rhetoric.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Re: Muslims
Wait a loving minute. I know there are Muslim names listed among the troops who fought in the revolutionary war, and I'm pretty sure the captains of the Nina and Pinta were Muslims.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Deuce posted:

Wait a loving minute. I know there are Muslim names listed among the troops who fought in the revolutionary war, and I'm pretty sure the captains of the Nina and Pinta were Muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_de_Triana

The guy who first sighted land was a Muslim, although he later converted.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does that count? I haven't checked the score lately.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Does that count? I haven't checked the score lately.

Yeah it counts...score one for Christianity that is :smug:

miasmata
Nov 17, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Deuce posted:

So, what you guys are saying is that when Colombus landed, if you count that as the start of the US that there were most likely more muslims as a percentage of the population then than now (obviously ignoring native population, aka considering Colombus the voyages as the seed)?

Let's see, between 40 and 50 pepole on each boat, call it a good 150.

According to Wikipedia, we're currently at 0.8% muslim. Which means that there were at least 3 times as many muslims then as a percentage.

So, yea, Colombus's voyages had a higher percentage of Muslims aboard than modern day America....Interesting statistic.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

berzerker posted:

It also won't be entirely fair when people poo poo all over Clinton in 100 years for Don't Ask, Don't Tell, because he didn't instead campaign for full allowance of open homosexual enrollment, gay marriage, and equal rights all around.

It is entirely fair when I do it now, so i'm going to say that it will be fair then as well. "Well, most other people were pieces of poo poo at the time" does not, in fact, excuse lovely behavior towards other human beings.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It is entirely fair when I do it now, so i'm going to say that it will be fair then as well. "Well, most other people were pieces of poo poo at the time" does not, in fact, excuse lovely behavior towards other human beings.
The eventual conclusion of this is that all people ever were terrible because they didn't fight for abolitionism, womens' suffrage, workers' rights, civil rights, gay marriage, better treatment of indigenous peoples, abolishing the death penalty, animal rights, robot rights or whatever the future issue is. It's an ahistorical and not very productive line of reasoning.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

T-1000 posted:

The eventual conclusion of this is that all people ever were terrible because they didn't fight for abolitionism, womens' suffrage, workers' rights, civil rights, gay marriage, better treatment of indigenous peoples, abolishing the death penalty, animal rights, robot rights or whatever the future issue is. It's an ahistorical and not very productive line of reasoning.

No, the end result is that people rightly condemn people for not doing good things/doing lovely things. Just because Jefferson was, among other things, a slave owning douche doesn't mean that he didn't also do some pretty cool things. Creating a false dichotomy is not very productive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

TheSpookyDanger posted:

No, the end result is that people rightly condemn people for not doing good things/doing lovely things. Just because Jefferson was, among other things, a slave owning douche doesn't mean that he didn't also do some pretty cool things. Creating a false dichotomy is not very productive though.
Ok, it seems we're roughly on the same page, it just sounded like you were in favour of ignoring the pretty cool things since the guy you were disagreeing with said in full

berzerker posted:

People poo poo on the slave owning, Washington's fake teeth, and so forth too reflexively, though, as if doing evil but standard things immediately invalidates everything good they could do. It's itself a perpetuation of founder worship in a way, or at least its opposite (founder demonization?), in that it casts past actors as abstract beings of pure light or dark instead of humans. It also won't be entirely fair when people poo poo all over Clinton in 100 years for Don't Ask, Don't Tell, because he didn't instead campaign for full allowance of open homosexual enrollment, gay marriage, and equal rights all around.
(emphasis mine) Neglecting the context and just condemning it period seems a bit harsh considering that Clinton was trying to repeal the ban on gays in the military and DADT was the best compromise he could get. But it's probably better not to continue the derail.