Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make the most of four days in Cusco and the surrounds? Anything that's a must-do? We plan to hit Machu Picchu afterwards, so that's covered. I was thinking of a day-trip to somewhere in the Sacred Valley, but I'd be curious to hear what you guys think, or if there was anything you found disappointing, and so on. This would be in early March. Hopefully we won't have to spend the whole time getting used to the elevation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Cuzco is one of the easiest cities to just wander around I've ever been to. With the exception of Qoricancha/Quohoricancha/Koricancha (which is worth a visit), almost all of the colonial Spanish stuff is clustered right around the Plaza de Armas and uses the same ticket, so you can pretty much just read the names off the ticket and see what you want to do - you don't have to pay extra and if you don't like it the next thing is never more than a block or two away. The Incans always put important stuff as high up hills as possible so look for the steepest streets/stairs you can find and go up them. Cuzco's also nice and centrally-located so it's totally doable to see all the main sites in a couple of days.

More specifically:
-Sacsayhuaman is the huge ruined Incan fortress overlooking the city and the only thing in Cuzco worth actually taking a bus up to. (Note that it's still totally walkable, it's just that everything else is within a few blocks of each other.)
-Qoricancha is the old Incan Temple of the Sun, which was so well-built (the Incans were masters of fitting huge irregularly-shaped stones together) that the Spanish couldn't figure out how to raze the foundation, so they tore down the temple and built a church on top of it. Either section would be worth visiting (the foundation alone is like thirty feet high in places).
-The Plaza de Armas is the Cuzco version of a zocalo, and has no less than three huge churches (the cathedral, la Merced and la Compania). All three are worth a visit, especially because your ticket for one works at all of them. Try to find a hostel near the Plaza if you can, everything else radiates out from it.
-Speaking of which, the Spanish took over the Incan House of the Chosen Women (aka the Virgins of the Sun) and turned it into a convent, which is now a museum totally overflowing with bizarre Conquest-era Catholic art. edit forgot to mention it's named Convent of Santa Catalina and is directly behind la Compania.
-Urcos is the only pre-Incan site in Cuzco.
-San Blas is the big hill that used to be the artisan district. So of course now it's the backpacker district. Still, it's got some epic views.

Worth noting: all the stuff listed above except Qoricancha is accessible with the same ticket, which you have to buy to get into any one of them anyway, so if you run out of ideas just see what else you can get into with it. Definitely go down some random alleys around San Blas/Plaza de Armas, because most of the Incan stonework under the big central buildings isn't visible from the main streets. Rule of thumb: when in doubt, go uphill.

edit also it's worth it to get to Ollantaytambo early to see their big terraces. It's not going to take more than a day (if that) but if you're taking the train to Aguas Calientes (which you are, unless you're doing the Inca Trail) then you're going through there anyway.

duralict fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 28, 2011

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008
Thank you very much! That's all very helpful. My friends and I are doing the Inca Trail, so I'm not sure how much time we'll have in Ollantaytambo before we have to catch the bus back to Cuzco. It looks amazing, though. Thanks again!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

duralict posted:

-Sacsayhuaman is the huge ruined Incan fortress overlooking the city and the only thing in Cuzco worth actually taking a bus up to. (Note that it's still totally walkable, it's just that everything else is within a few blocks of each other.)

it's worth it to get to Ollantaytambo early to see their big terraces

Sacsayhuaman is walkable; I ended up walking all the way to the temple of the sun and the moon in an afternoon, but totally destroyed my ankle doing it from Plaza la Armas to Sacsayhuaman is something like 900 vertical feet and about 900 horizontal feet. I think it was the decent that killed my ankle.

I wish I had spent more time in Ollytampbo. That was a cool city (village) and some of the coolest people I met in Peru passed through there, including some hippy who I ate pizza with who spent an hour telling me how Obama's presidency foretold the end of the world on Jan 1st and how cool jungle juice was.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Can anyone recommend a brief 7-8 day itinerary for Panama? I will be traveling alone -- I like nature poo poo and pretty environments. Also if there is surfing to be had, that'd be cool too.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Uncle Ivan posted:

Can anyone recommend a brief 7-8 day itinerary for Panama? I will be traveling alone -- I like nature poo poo and pretty environments. Also if there is surfing to be had, that'd be cool too.

Panama City is the only decent city in Central America, and worth a couple of days. If you're the hostel type, Luna's Castle in Casco Viejo is a solid party place. Bocas del Toro has several reef breaks - otherwise you're looking at the Pacific coast for surfing. For the nature poo poo, check out Volcan Baru in the western part of the country - there is some excellent hiking around there. From the peak, you can see both oceans.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

mattdev posted:

This is very true. One of my professors in São Paulo was from Greece and barely spoke a word of Portuguese at all. He said he moved down there because the pay was ages better than it was anywhere else.

He taught all of his classes in English.

yo let me get at you. I think i'm exchanging to USP in August.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Today I saw Bolivian Cholito's wrestling.

It was awesome.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 31, 2011

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

barbudo posted:

yo let me get at you. I think i'm exchanging to USP in August.

I studied at FGV, but I do know quite a bit about USP's exchange program since my ex-girlfriend is one of the main exchange student coordinators. What do you want to know?

alwaysinnasomething
Jun 18, 2007
Companion and I are planning on taking buses from Santiago to Mendoza before meandering on to B.A., starting around the 7th of March. From what I've read, it should still be fairly warm that time of year, except at the much higher altitudes. Does anyone have travel advice, esp. concerning buses, or have any recommendations for things to see and do along the way?

Thanks also to everyone who posted in this thread, it really motivated us to get down there.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

mattdev posted:

I studied at FGV, but I do know quite a bit about USP's exchange program since my ex-girlfriend is one of the main exchange student coordinators. What do you want to know?

Well, one of my professors has a handful of contacts at USP and wanted to set up a foreign exchange for me there, but there's no official agreement for exchange signed between our two universities. He said he would try to set up something official for me, but if that fell through, I'd like to directly enroll. How easy is it for American students to enroll at USP? Is it expensive? Is it free, like it is for Brazilians?

e. UNRELATED but in a few weeks i've got SPRING BREAK and my friends and I would like to drive from Atlanta to Mexico. Where's the closest, safe, fun area on or beyond the border, accessible by car from the US? I want to go to Mexico don't tell me it's dangerous.

barbudo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 6, 2011

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Me and my girlfriend are arriving in Santiago around 15th March, I need to sort out our schedule and what we're actually doing! We're good for all the jabs and anti-malaria pills now, just need to work out what we can fit in. Don't have much down firmly yet, but at the mo:

15 March - arrive Santiago
Stay in an apartment for 2 nights

April 2nd - April 8th - in Cuzco
Inca Trail/Machu Pichu

May 7th - Fly from Lima, return to Englandé

Of course there's lots of stuff we want to get in, and I think we have the time for a fair amount of fun. I was wondering, some friends have said that getting used to the altitude in Cuzco takes a while, does anyone have any suggestions for how many days in advance of our tour we should arrive in Cuzco? We will have altitude sickness pills.

Things we want to do include travel to Argentina, maybe do some skydiving there. Lake Titicaca and Puno sound amazing and Huacachina sounds very cool.

So maybe go:
Santiago
Either to some Chilean beaches, Vina del Mar perhaps, or visit the glaciers of the south
Cuzco
Machu Pichu
Then we have a month, I guess we could go to Argentina and back and then from that point? Not sure where Tittcaca would fit in...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Squalitude posted:

Inca Trail/Machu Pichu

Of course there's lots of stuff we want to get in, and I think we have the time for a fair amount of fun. I was wondering, some friends have said that getting used to the altitude in Cuzco takes a while, does anyone have any suggestions for how many days in advance of our tour we should arrive in Cuzco? We will have altitude sickness pills.

Things we want to do include travel to Argentina, maybe do some skydiving there. Lake Titicaca and Puno sound amazing and Huacachina sounds very cool.

So maybe go:
Santiago
Either to some Chilean beaches, Vina del Mar perhaps, or visit the glaciers of the south
Cuzco
Machu Pichu
Then we have a month, I guess we could go to Argentina and back and then from that point? Not sure where Tittcaca would fit in...

A couple days is really all it takes, however going from sea level straight to Cusco is just asking for it. My route went Nazca, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Cusco, and that gradual increase resulted in my not getting any altitude sickness at all (can't say the same for the rest of my travel companions though). Also those places are fantastic to visit in of themselves, not just as stopping points on the way. Seeing Lake Titicaca/Puno after you've done the Inca Trail is pretty logical too. From there you can carry on to Argentina via the Bolivian salt flats, which are also incredible.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Squalitude posted:

Me and my girlfriend are arriving in Santiago around 15th March, I need to sort out our schedule and what we're actually doing! We're good for all the jabs and anti-malaria pills now, just need to work out what we can fit in. Don't have much down firmly yet, but at the mo:

15 March - arrive Santiago
Stay in an apartment for 2 nights

Inca Trail/Machu Pichu

So maybe go:
Santiago
Cuzco
Machu Pichu

Chilean beaches are trash. Either go see the desert/altiplano or the south or the cities.

a japanese pop icon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2011

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Valparaiso is pretty cool, especially if you like street art. Otherwise I'd go up to the desert, it's really the most awesome part of Chile. Chilean wine is great but the vineyards themselves are really just vineyards, and Chilean beaches are pretty much uniformly freezing cold and kind of muddy. Neither can really compete with Atacama, one of the coolest places on Earth.

Also I went from living on a boat directly to Cuzco, and it's doable if you don't push it by running around a lot. That said though, since you're planning on doing something reasonably strenuous like hiking the Inca Trail, it's a good idea to spend some time ramping up.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm currently in Buenos Aires visiting a friend, anyone have any ideas what to do during the day while she's working other than wandering around the city?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Drogadon posted:

I'm currently in Buenos Aires visiting a friend, anyone have any ideas what to do during the day while she's working other than wandering around the city?

Recoleta cemetary is morbidly amazing, Puerto Madero is nice, heck BsAs is full of great places to visit, just scan through any tourist information website, they'll all have english versions. I regret only having 1 full day there.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

Recoleta cemetary is morbidly amazing, Puerto Madero is nice, heck BsAs is full of great places to visit, just scan through any tourist information website, they'll all have english versions. I regret only having 1 full day there.

Thanks, I was at Puerto Madero yesterday and it's cool. I spent all day monday wandering downtown and it was also great and we went to the bars in Palermo during the weekend. I'll put the cemetary on my list.

I guess I should elaborate on my request, I still have a lot of time here (leaving on the 21st) and my friend has some days off but the rest of the weekdays she will be working during the day, so I would appreciate suggestions of stuff to do during the day by myself (touristy and otherwise). I have no language issues because spanish is my first language.

Also a more concrete question, is it a good idea to go to La Bombonera alone? there's a game on sunday and my friend might not want to tag along (haven't asked her yet though).

masterfly
Aug 8, 2006

Drogadon posted:

Thanks, I was at Puerto Madero yesterday and it's cool. I spent all day monday wandering downtown and it was also great and we went to the bars in Palermo during the weekend. I'll put the cemetary on my list.

I guess I should elaborate on my request, I still have a lot of time here (leaving on the 21st) and my friend has some days off but the rest of the weekdays she will be working during the day, so I would appreciate suggestions of stuff to do during the day by myself (touristy and otherwise). I have no language issues because spanish is my first language.

Also a more concrete question, is it a good idea to go to La Bombonera alone? there's a game on sunday and my friend might not want to tag along (haven't asked her yet though).

Hey, I'm here right now. I just arrived 2 days ago and am staying at a hostel in San Telmo called ViaVia. It's a quiet place. Tomorrow I'm taking a day trip to Uruguay to a town called Colonia del Sacramento and then returning here to sleep in the same hostel.

Want to go see a soccer match or something? That was on my list of must do's while I'm in the area since I missed doing that in Brazil. I have a flight to Ushuaia in a couple of days but I'll be back before you leave, maybe we can arrange something.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Drogadon posted:

You can go to la bombonera alone with no problem. If you like art the Bellas Artes museum and MALBA are nice.
Other thing you can do is go to a random subte station and wander around the neighborhood.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
If anybody needs a hospital in Costa Rica, I can strongly recommend Clinica Biblica. Christ, four nights in a hospital is rough, though. I slipped and hit my head trying to get up to the second waterfall near Montezuma. (I wasn't climbing the actual waterfall!) We just weren't on the trail. My buddy's got the pics, otherwise I'd post the wicked CT scan where the swollen flesh on my head is visible.
Remember to watch the morning beers on hiking days, dudes.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

a japanese pop icon posted:

Chilean beaches are trash. Either go see the desert/altiplano or the south or the cities.

Hey, they are not that bad <:mad:>!

Brazilian beaches are much better, yeah, but not all of our beaches are trash. Pichilemu is great for surfers, or so I've heard.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm looking to do some budget travel on an open-ended basis. I'm in my very early planning stages, so I apologize for not being very specific, but I often hear how cheap South America is compared to Europe. Like I said, I want to travel on a budget, but I'd be looking for certain amenities which I'd consider "basic" - hot showers, a bed with linen, more-or-less safe/secure rooms (at least a hostel-level security). I'm willing to take buses and trains but would want air conditioning if at all possible.

Approximately what kind of budget should I set for myself, apart from the initial airfare? Again, I know this is very open-ended, and I haven't even said what country(s) I'd want to go to, but I'm just seeing what is possible for me given my budget. Ideally, I'd like to travel on under US$50/day.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
If you're happy staying in dorms, you can do almost all of S America on $30-35/day, and still do quite a bit. Budget more for Brazil/Chile, and less for Bolivia/Ecuador

eviljelly posted:

I'm looking to do some budget travel on an open-ended basis. I'm in my very early planning stages, so I apologize for not being very specific, but I often hear how cheap South America is compared to Europe. Like I said, I want to travel on a budget, but I'd be looking for certain amenities which I'd consider "basic" - hot showers, a bed with linen, more-or-less safe/secure rooms (at least a hostel-level security). I'm willing to take buses and trains but would want air conditioning if at all possible.

Approximately what kind of budget should I set for myself, apart from the initial airfare? Again, I know this is very open-ended, and I haven't even said what country(s) I'd want to go to, but I'm just seeing what is possible for me given my budget. Ideally, I'd like to travel on under US$50/day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I averaged $32/day after travel expenses over a period of 30 days in five countries in Dec 09/Jan 10. I guess if I had gone out drinking every single night I would have spent more than that, but you can eat/sleep/travel pretty comfortably on that.

$55/day if you include bus fare (I did a couple of $200 long-haul 1,000+ mile bus trips that should have been plane rides, looking back)

I think $45/day after travel expenses is where the blurry line between travel and vacation is.

Brazil is stupid expensive, Rio in particular around the holidays. $80/night for New Years with a minimum of 5 day stay. With no AC (in the middle of extremely humid summer).

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Programmable Soda posted:

Hey, they are not that bad <:mad:>!

Brazilian beaches are much better, yeah, but not all of our beaches are trash. Pichilemu is great for surfers, or so I've heard.

Haha are you serious? They're trash. Playa Blanca and Iquique are the only "okay" beaches in the entire country. Pichilemu's "waves" are like 3 feet tall, and the only reason people surf there is because waves elsewhere in Chile are either far from Santiago or 1 foot tall.

Pichilemu is seriously gross, though, it's brown and the sand is dirty and it's overcrowded. It's all the bad parts of being a "popular" beach without the gorgeousness of, as you say, Brazilian beaches.

Going to Chile for the beaches is like going to France for Euro Disney. Chile has amazing sights, from Atacama (all of it), to cities like La Serena, Punta Arenas, Valparaiso, etc., to beautiful rainforests to gorgeous glaciers to the awe-inspiring solitude of Patagonia to islands full of penguins. Why ignore all these amazing, unique sights for beaches ranging from terrible to mediocre?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

You can go to la bombonera alone with no problem. If you like art the Bellas Artes museum and MALBA are nice.
Other thing you can do is go to a random subte station and wander around the neighborhood.

I ended up booking the museum/game tour thing, expensive but might be worth it to avoid stress or whatever.

I'll definitely go to every museum I can next week.

Mortley posted:

If anybody needs a hospital in Costa Rica, I can strongly recommend Clinica Biblica. Christ, four nights in a hospital is rough, though. I slipped and hit my head trying to get up to the second waterfall near Montezuma. (I wasn't climbing the actual waterfall!) We just weren't on the trail. My buddy's got the pics, otherwise I'd post the wicked CT scan where the swollen flesh on my head is visible.
Remember to watch the morning beers on hiking days, dudes.

Or if you want to be treated for free just call an ambulance and let them take you to a public hospital, universal health care owns.

masterfly posted:

Want to go see a soccer match or something? That was on my list of must do's while I'm in the area since I missed doing that in Brazil. I have a flight to Ushuaia in a couple of days but I'll be back before you leave, maybe we can arrange something.

Sure, PM me when you come back and we can do something.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

a japanese pop icon posted:

Going to Chile for the beaches is like going to France for Euro Disney. Chile has amazing sights, from Atacama (all of it), to cities like La Serena, Punta Arenas, Valparaiso, etc., to beautiful rainforests to gorgeous glaciers to the awe-inspiring solitude of Patagonia to islands full of penguins. Why ignore all these amazing, unique sights for beaches ranging from terrible to mediocre?

I see your point, it's just that calling them trash sounded way too harsh :shobon:

Oh, I'd like to recomend Chiloé to people visiting the south of Chile. The sights are incredible, ranging from dense forests to open (trash) beaches. The people are very nice too and used to receiving tourists. The cuisine is also great if you like seafood. This island is home to a very rich mythology if you're into that, and the locals love to share their culture with visitors.
Just one detail: try to come between January and February, which is the "dry" season. The rest of the year it just rains and rains.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Drogadon posted:

Or if you want to be treated for free just call an ambulance and let them take you to a public hospital, universal health care owns.

Went to the hospital with a 104F fever in BA. Walked out with a scrip for some meds in about 20 min. Doctor looked at me wide-eyed when I asked where to pay. Spoke pretty good english, too!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Cross posting from the regional discussion board because durr.

I'm flying into Buenos Aires at the start of April to tour around South America for about 10 months. My main aims are to see poo poo, ignore work emails, ski, learn some Spanish (zero effective skills atm) and not get hurt and/or deported. I like mountains and biology more than massive nightclubs and crowded cities (but drink far to much in pubs and bars). I plan to head south and do the horn for a month or so and then head up and meet an equally clueless friend in Mendoza. I'll have about $22k US when I hit BA for the 10 months, should that be enough?

I've got a few annoyingly specific questions, sorry if they've been answered or are retarded.

1) I'm meeting a friend in Mendoza on 5th May, so I have a month to do from BA to Ushuaia, and then up to Bariloche (and bus to Mendoza), including Arg and Chile. Is that enough time to do the east coast and Patagonia up to Bari?

2)After Mendoza I have a month before the snow starts and will spend a month doing the area between Mendoza/Santiago and south to Bariloche, including Arg and Chile (mid may to mid june). Is that enough time?

3)Spend 2 months from mid June to mid August in Bariloche skiing, learning Spanish all the other cool stuff that seems to exist there. I Think it's going to cost about $5000k inclusive for the two months (accom (hostel), food, drink, lessons, ski pass and gear). Does that sound right? Has anyone studied at the schools there?

After that I'll head north to Paraguay-Bolivia-Peru etc, but I'm more worried about the timing in the first five months.

Reading this thread has really helped, cheers.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Drogadon posted:

Hadlock posted:

Went to the hospital with a 104F fever in BA. Walked out with a scrip for some meds in about 20 min. Doctor looked at me wide-eyed when I asked where to pay. Spoke pretty good english, too!

Waiting and non-English fluent doctors weren´t an option with deference to my possibly severe head trauma. Also,

http://www.costarica.com/retirement/cost-of-living/health-care/ posted:

Costa Rica’s public health insurance system, commonly known as the Caja, is available country-wide to all citizens and legal residents.

Why would a government give away something (healthcare) for nothing (I haven´t paid a dime of taxes in Costa Rica)? I´m sure it´s never a problem to provide a prescription in 20 minutes, but for four nights and thousands of dollars in tests...
We even had to pay out of pocket for the ambulance.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2011

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Mortley posted:

Why would a government give away something (healthcare) for nothing (I haven´t paid a dime of taxes in Costa Rica)? I´m sure it´s never a problem to provide a prescription in 20 minutes, but for four nights and thousands of dollars in tests...
We even had to pay out of pocket for the ambulance.

They will treat any foreigner anyway for free, it's actually a huge issue for some people that they treat illegal Nicaraguans for free with "our tax money".

I know several stories of foreigners being amazed about this, including an Argentine who broke his leg in the middle of nowhere and was transported and treated for free. You probably used a private ambulance since Clinica Biblica is a private clinic.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
That's actually quite impressive, here in NZ if you're a tourist you're supposed to pay, but you're basically billed afterwards and we apparently have a hefty 'Accounts Receivable' that we don't actively try to claw back.

But hey, this is why you take travel insurance people!

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for this thread, lots of great information.

Currently looking at a 2 week trip to Peru in October/November this year so I'm pouring over any information I can find.

Will probably come back to bug people with questions as they come up. :)

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Just booked a 9 day trip to Oaxaca City from March 4th-13th! I'm armed with my Lonely Planet, but what else do you all recommend?

barbudo posted:

Well, one of my professors has a handful of contacts at USP and wanted to set up a foreign exchange for me there, but there's no official agreement for exchange signed between our two universities. He said he would try to set up something official for me, but if that fell through, I'd like to directly enroll. How easy is it for American students to enroll at USP? Is it expensive? Is it free, like it is for Brazilians?

I just forwarded all of this info to her. I'll let you know as soon as she gets back to me.

If it's anything similar to FGV, it should be incredibly easy. I just had to sign a check, send over my transcript and I was enrolled. Pretty crazy for one of the most "prestigious" schools in the country.

FGV was expensive by Brazilian standards, but I was able to get housing, 3 meals a day, and all of my tuition covered for about $6k USD. The exchange rate is really piss poor right now, though.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Drogadon posted:

They will treat any foreigner anyway for free, it's actually a huge issue for some people that they treat illegal Nicaraguans for free with "our tax money".

I know several stories of foreigners being amazed about this, including an Argentine who broke his leg in the middle of nowhere and was transported and treated for free. You probably used a private ambulance since Clinica Biblica is a private clinic.

Wow, that´s amazing. I want the States to have universal health care but it would never occur to me to make it routine practice to treat foreigners for free. I mean, we already do, since hospitals have huge write offs for emergency room visits by undocumented people (a little like NZ), but it´s still mind-blowing for me.
I actually didn´t even know CR´s health care was universal, nor was I in any kind of shape to dictate where they took me at the time. Those subsequent two days, though, drat...
Here´s to hoping my insurance company comes through.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
My friends and I have a week at a timeshare gifted to me from my family, and we want to use it to go to Costa Rica. I haven't found anything good on google to tell me what cities / districts have what kind of activities. I'm thinking a lot of beach activities, some water stuff (snorkeling, kayaking, etc.), and lots of drinking / clubbing. The options of resorts that we have are:

Amapola Vacation Club, Playa Jaco
Hilton Doubletree, Puntarenas
Parador Resort, Punta Quepos
Coco Sunset Vacation Club, Playa del Coco
Flamingo Marina Resort Hotel and Club, Playa Flamingo
The Sanctuary Resort & Spa, Playa Azul
Villas Playa Samara, Samara
Villas Nacazcol, Guanacastle

All suggestions on activities, locations, etc. are welcome, as well as hotel reviews if anybody has been to these. Thanks for your help goons.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Jaco's probably your best bet, based on what you're into - nice nearby beaches, lots of bars, easy access to the ecotourism stuff like ziplining. It's more or less like a coastal California college town. Don't expect to immerse yourself in local culture, though, the entire town is built around catering to American surfers and beach tourists.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

If you want touristy stuff and clubbing go to the north/mid pacific, if you want nature or culture go to the caribbean side or to the south pacific. From your description Jaco, Playa del Coco or Flamingo but as duralict said Jaco would be more convenient because of easy access to canopy tours and because it's only like 90 minutes away from the airport. It is very touristy and expensive though, but if you go make sure you eat at the Taco Bar, awesome food and smoothies.

Also this is my last day in Buenos Aires, I enjoyed this city very much and hope to come back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Drogadon posted:

If you want touristy stuff and clubbing go to the north/mid pacific, if you want nature or culture go to the caribbean side or to the south pacific. From your description Jaco, Playa del Coco or Flamingo but as duralict said Jaco would be more convenient because of easy access to canopy tours and because it's only like 90 minutes away from the airport. It is very touristy and expensive though, but if you go make sure you eat at the Taco Bar, awesome food and smoothies.

Also this is my last day in Buenos Aires, I enjoyed this city very much and hope to come back soon.

Thanks for the advice, both of you. How much should we budget to spend for the week?