Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

fanaglethebagle posted:

Is it a durso? If it isn't, make it one and it should help you control the gurgling.

It's not and unfortunately I've glues all of the piping. Is there a way I can drill a hole on the top, slide tubing in the small hole and seal it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yes, make sure that the tube is thick enough to not make an annoying whistling sound.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

fanaglethebagle posted:

Yes, make sure that the tube is thick enough to not make an annoying whistling sound.

It is, thanks a lot. I have to say how much you learn the first time around building your own tank. What an experience.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Tell me about it. Learning how to do anything with a calcium reactor or ozone is like taking a full course on chemistry, bio, and engineering.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
The tube into my drain worked to clear up the noise, but my water level inside my drain keeps dropping and then raising from the tanks water level to just to the opening of the drain.

Any idea on what could cause this?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Could you post a picture of your plumbing? It sounds like maybe the drain is too large for the overflow?

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Internet Explorer posted:

Could you post a picture of your plumbing? It sounds like maybe the drain is too large for the overflow?

My camera is broken still. I could probably have my gf take a picture later and I'll post it, but the dimensions for the overflow are 5x10x18, 1" drain and a 3/4" return.

My overflow setup and sump setup.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
So I've limited the problem to the size of my air intake at the top of my drain pipe. I'm going to adjust the size of the intake and report back. I'm sure this will take a lot of tweaking.

:siren: Update: :siren:

So I increased the size of the tubing into my drain pipe, and the flushing stopping in my overflow, but I have a small gargling noise coming from my air intake. Is that because the intake is not large enough?

Dono fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What kind of overflow kit did you get?

Also, how loud are we talking here? I mean, no tank is going to be totally silent. It should be a relatively quiet and steady waterfall sort of sound, but it won't be silent.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

revmoo posted:

Also, how loud are we talking here? I mean, no tank is going to be totally silent. It should be a relatively quiet and steady waterfall sort of sound, but it won't be silent.

Then I'm good. It's a pretty low gargle, that you can only hear if you are right up next to the tank.

revmoo posted:

What kind of overflow kit did you get?

I didn't buy a kit, the overflow was pre-built into my tank w/ bulkheads, baffles, etc.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

I got some new corals and fish!

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 3, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Here's the final aquascape for my tank. Suggestions on rock movement or powerhead placement?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Dono posted:

Here's the final aquascape for my tank. Suggestions on rock movement or powerhead placement?

I like it, but not the little rocks in front. I would move those to the sides.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Hypnotized posted:

I like it, but not the little rocks in front. I would move those to the sides.

Yup you were right, I found some nice spots for them to go and was able to move my powerheads in a more appropriate location.

Does anyone have experience with Dry rock being seeded with live rock?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Yep just add a few pounds of quality liverock and some scoops of livesand from an established tank.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001

Hypnotized posted:

Yep just add a few pounds of quality liverock and some scoops of livesand from an established tank.

...and be patient.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Yup I've added a lot of good nasty LR, and I wont be putting in my first livestock for about a month. doing weekly WCs also.

Not to mention I did this on a tight (reefkeepers version of tight ha!) budget, so I don't think I'll want to waste a lot of money killing livestock.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Dono posted:

doing weekly WCs also.

Don't do water changes while you are cycling your tank.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Hypnotized posted:

Don't do water changes while you are cycling your tank.

at all? With all this dry rock my cycle could be well over one month.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Water changes prolong your cycle. Just keep up with your top off.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Nitrosomes convert the ammonia to nitrite then nitrobactre convert the nitrite to nitrate. If you remove the ammonia or nitrite with water changes the bacteria will have less resources and in turn can't reproduce as quickly.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Is there a level my nitrates should be at once I'm done cycling, or does that depend on my bioload?

Right now I'm reading:

Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrate- 5-10ppm

Been up for about two weeks.

Edit: I know for most corals and inverts the nitrates should generally be below 20ppm, and excess should be skimmed or controlled in the sand bed.

Dono fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2011

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Nitrate wont be removed from your system without plants or water changes. as soon as your ammonia and nitrite levels are down you can either add more waste load or you can try adding but the more trials you go through the healthier the biofilm will be.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

fanaglethebagle posted:

Nitrate wont be removed from your system without plants or water changes. as soon as your ammonia and nitrite levels are down you can either add more waste load or you can try adding but the more trials you go through the healthier the biofilm will be.

by trials you mean the more ammonia and nitrite my tank is exposed to (the more my bacteria can process), the healthier my tank will be in the long run?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Anybody help with an ID on this stuff? I think it's Pom-Pom hydroid? It's starting to spread and stinging poo poo.

Next problem, is how the hell do I get rid of it? Would rather not have to take the rock out and burn/scrub it, as it's a base rock with lots of other stuff on it.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

another loser posted:

Anybody help with an ID on this stuff? I think it's Pom-Pom hydroid? It's starting to spread and stinging poo poo.

Next problem, is how the hell do I get rid of it? Would rather not have to take the rock out and burn/scrub it, as it's a base rock with lots of other stuff on it.

Looks like hydroids to me. They can be bothersome to corals I think.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Those are hydroids they are a ridiculous pain in the rear end that are really infectious and difficult to get rid of.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hahaha. I am going to have to do some learning as far as pest IDs go. Don't have my tank setup just yet but if I saw that I would be like "oh look cute little trees!" :glomp:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Best suggestion is to turn off the flow for 15 minutes and go at them with a kalk paste in a syringe (Aiptasia-X, Joe's Juice, etc., or equivalents if you don't want to mix up your own with Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime).

Be careful not to get any of that in your nearby corals, though little flakes of it can land on farther away polyps and not do any harm.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
New update:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

What is the coral in this picture?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

What is the coral in this picture?

Several things are visible:

Foreground:

a mini-colony fragged off of a large wild A. tenuis (I believe, I'm no expert yet at Acropora identification) the old growth has a lot more green probably because it was collected in high nutrient waters, the new growth (from the time it's been in my tank) has the true colors which is pale and blue

A cultured T. maxima clam in the upper left, really nice one of about 2.5"

Background (blurry as gently caress):

"sea foam" palys
"Superman" Montipora
another A. tenuis, more darker blue in the new growth

The other picture has a gigantic maxima clam (5-6")

And with these new clams I added (the maximas in both shots, and another 5-6" maxima which I haven't gotten a good photo of just yet) I'm investing in a kalk-stirring reactor for my auto top-off system. Because fuuuuuck.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 8, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973278

Linking to a tank pictures thread of a local reefer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Has anyone had problems with a buildup of some light brown flaky stuff that almost looks like sawdust piling up on the rocks? I assume it is some kind of detritus but I did a 25% WC last week and another this week to try and get rid of it, but I can never get it all. It also seems to attach easily to the bottom of my sun coral as well as on top, and nothing seems to eat it. The snails just kind of knock it around. I expected to see crazy nitrates or some problem in the water parameters but they are all fine, and it doesn't seem to bother anything(except me). I'd take a picture but I can't find my camera battery charger, and previous pictures I've tried to take of it aren't revealing (it just looks like light brown/tan powder, like normal fish poop but powder).

Also, anyone have any experience with blue palm coral? I'm target feeding it phytoplankton and another dissolved food recommended for tunicates in I think the nano-reef forums at the moment, and it seems to be doing fine, but I heard they can be difficult to take care of so I'm open to suggestions.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Duck, I get it too, think it's just some kind of bacteria.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If it is bacteria or some kind of detritus a little sea cucumber (Holothuria, not sea apples or Pentacta or something like that) might work. You can get a decent sized one that won't outgrow your tank by much from premiumaquatics or something of that nature, or your LFS can order you one or something.

Without any more knowledge of what the problem actually is, that'd be my tentative recommendation. No guarantees.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Sounds like Diatoms (I just got a small bloom), but a picture would be super sweet.

If it is, water changes and cutting down on light will be great, especially if you get indirect sunlight or other bright lights are hitting the tank from within the room.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Finally found my battery charger. Unfortunately I couldn't get too great of a picture. I don't think it is diatoms, unless it is one I've never seen. It seems to be capable of attaching to things (as I said, the bottom of my sun coral), but when it is on the rock as pictured it is just a loose pile.

You can see the stuff in question to the left, bottom left, and bottom right of my polyps. My regular siphon thing for water changes can't seem to pick it up, and if I knock it in the air first with a brush or something, it only gets some of it and the rest goes in a pile somewhere else.

Also, here is my whole tank as of today, with the new blue palm coral. It has finally shed the clear mucous stuff that it was shipped with having, which I understand means they recently dropped their heads. My sun coral, believe it or not, is actually looking better than previously so I'll keep on trying to rehabilitate it. The red slime outbreak on it definitely didn't help.

My tank overall seems very..green, in terms of its coralline algae, rather than the typical dark purple that you see on the blue palm frag. I personally like it, but should I expect it to stay that way?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

a duck posted:

What kind of light do you have on the tank? Also that sun coral is non-photosynthetic so putting it up high in the tank will not help it. It may even hinder its growth, but I am not sure about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Right now I have 72W of PC 50/50 lights(I think 50/50, one tube is white the other blue like an actinic bulb). Stock lighting for the nanocube. I am planning to upgrade to 108W when I get the time, probably a full actinic bulb, or maybe another 50/50.

I know it's not photosynthetic(same with the blue palm), but I just can't find the right spot for it. I put it there because it is one of the stronger water flow areas, the hope being that it'll get more food when I'm not target feeding it. If I put it on the sand, the rear end in a top hat goby will just spit sand into the heads and try to bury it, and it doesn't really fit well in other lower light areas. I have heard it can hinder the growth too, but this is the fifth position I have had it in the tank, and so far the only one where I've seen improvement. That said, I would like to move it somewhere else, since it doesn't make a good looking centerpiece at the moment, but I also don't want to risk it while it is improving, and there isn't really another place in the tank with high water flow that is also low-light.

You can't see it in this picture very clearly but below the blue palm is a black sun coral which is doing great and growing a new head, but since day one with the orange one it has been deteriorating.

e: I originally wanted it down at the bottom, where my wrasse is looking, but it won't fit through the gap. I also think even if it was down there the goby would go out of his way to bury it like he does to the pistol shrimp's cave(you can see the entrance on the bottom right, the white rock) every day.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 10, 2011

• Locked thread