Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

evilalien posted:

That's not true. Windows 2000/XP and newer will do DXVA. Windows Vista and newer will do DXVA2.

Sorry, I was going off one of your old posts when I was having problems with accelerated playback. Looks like I misunderstand what you were saying at the time.

evilalien posted:

XP is no good unless you want to mess around with externalplayer or DSplayer with XBMC. Only DXVA2 support is built in which XP does not do. You can always use linux too since ion is Nvidia if you don't want to buy Vista/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Ah, yeah I could have been a bit clearer there. I was just saying that XBMC can only do DXVA2/VDPAU, so you need Vista/7 or linux if you need accelerated playback in XBMC. That's just for XBMC though; WinXP can do hardware accelerated playback with players that support DXVA1.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 1, 2011

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Can anyone recommend a decent media storage device? Currently I have two 1.5TB WD MyBooks holding my media, both connected to a Mac Mini via USB. I'm getting fed up with the random freezes I get pulling data off these drives. Either locally playing thru XBMC or remotely playing files on my iMac (MPlayerX) in the other room. Every now and then the video will stop playing and come back 20-30 seconds later. Sometimes it hiccups for 5 seconds.

The other thing to consider is I have almost 3TB of media with absolutely zero protection from a drive failure. What is a popular NAS/media server people are using? Something that is sold at Best Buy would be a big plus but not necessary.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Legdiian posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent media storage device? Currently I have two 1.5TB WD MyBooks holding my media, both connected to a Mac Mini via USB. I'm getting fed up with the random freezes I get pulling data off these drives. Either locally playing thru XBMC or remotely playing files on my iMac (MPlayerX) in the other room. Every now and then the video will stop playing and come back 20-30 seconds later. Sometimes it hiccups for 5 seconds.

The other thing to consider is I have almost 3TB of media with absolutely zero protection from a drive failure. What is a popular NAS/media server people are using? Something that is sold at Best Buy would be a big plus but not necessary.

Packrats Unite! the NAS/Storage Megathread

(The goto device seems to be Synology units...you'll get more details in the megathread.)

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Legdiian posted:

I purchased a QNAP TS-419 and put four 1tb drives in there in raid 5 (link - http://www.qnap.com/Products.asp). Not quite enough for your needs, but if you used 2tb drives it would be alright. I really like it, though the writes to the disk in raid 5 are a little slow. Never had any problems reading from it though. I get all my media that way (using smb shares).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got AirPlay up and running on my XBMC box today, so I can stream (some) videos and photos to my big screen from iPhones and iPads. Is there anything out there software-wise that will allow me to do the same with music? I'd like for it to be as simple as possible to use (like AirPlay is), and have it work on any iDevice that gets onto the network. Running Windows 7.

I've been searching, so I'm guessing no, but at this point I might even consider a hardware device if it's cheap enough and doesn't get in the way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EC posted:

I got AirPlay up and running on my XBMC box today, so I can stream (some) videos and photos to my big screen from iPhones and iPads. Is there anything out there software-wise that will allow me to do the same with music? I'd like for it to be as simple as possible to use (like AirPlay is), and have it work on any iDevice that gets onto the network. Running Windows 7.

I've been searching, so I'm guessing no, but at this point I might even consider a hardware device if it's cheap enough and doesn't get in the way.

The Airport Express is an Airtunes (aka Airplay) client. When my iPhone is on the same network as my Express, I get the little triangle airplay icon in the iPod app.

Does that not happen with XBMC setup with Airplay?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
AirTunes and AirPlay are two totally different things, unfortunately. AirPlay has been reverse engineered to the point that you can make just about anything an AirPlay device, but AirTunes apparently has enough encryption locking it down that this isn't possible. That's my understanding from following the discussion about the development of AirPlayer on the XBMC forums, anyway.

Edit: So one of these will just plug into my receiver? I wish that poo poo wasn't $100, though. Ok, I'll take myself out of this thread as this obviously isn't HTPC related anymore.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 3, 2011

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
I have an HD4550(agp) in an old athlon 64 3000+ with 2 gig of ram, i can play 720p content just fine, is there anyway that this system would be able to play 1080p? I was under the assumption the card would handle all the decoding, but i'm thinking the base system isn't beefy enough to feed the card.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I love that 2-TB hard drives are $100 now. Time to turn all those HDDVDs into TSes that can play on anything.

Quarantini posted:

I have an HD4550(agp) in an old athlon 64 3000+ with 2 gig of ram, i can play 720p content just fine, is there anyway that this system would be able to play 1080p? I was under the assumption the card would handle all the decoding, but i'm thinking the base system isn't beefy enough to feed the card.

Are you sure your player is using your video card's hardware acceleration features? I remember a few years back I was viewing 720p content on an Athlon 64 3000 on pure CPU because back then video cards didn't do poo poo for h.264, I'd think with a modern video card to do some offloading it should get to 1080p playback at speed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm selling my Revo 1600 if anyone's interested
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387511

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm thinking of putting together an HTPC, and I had a question about graphics cards sending audio over HDMI. If I go for a graphics card that supports audio over HDMI, will all sound from the PC go over HDMI as if it was a normal sound card? Will I need a separate sound card for any reason?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

If I go for a graphics card that supports audio over HDMI, will all sound from the PC go over HDMI as if it was a normal sound card? Will I need a separate sound card for any reason?

Yes. Not unless you want to output sound over some non-HDMI output.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What's the best way to buffer a video file off of one computer playing on another? Can I put like a 30 second buffer window into VLC or anything?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TLG James posted:

What's the best way to buffer a video file off of one computer playing on another? Can I put like a 30 second buffer window into VLC or anything?

Why?

If you're having stuttering when streaming a video over your network there's probably something up with your network.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
I have corrupt video when I output over HDMI through my receiver. The video flickers on and off and is scaled to fill only about two thirds of the screen.

This is happening through MythTV outputting over the HDMI port of my EVGA 730i motherboard (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4245907&CatId=3495). The video is going into my Onkyo 508 receiver then to a Sony CRT HD TV (TV supports 1080i). The computer claims to be outputting at 1920x1080i at 50hz.

When I run video via HDMI directly from the computer to the TV the video's fine; it's only when I have the receiver in the path that I have this issue. When I try another HDMI source (cable box) through the receiver the video is fine as well.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong here or what I can do to resolve it? My only idea is that the receiver has issues dealing with a 50hz refresh rate. Sadly the only options I'm given in X11 is to output at either 50 or 51hz.

ETA: Also having problems outputting 5.1 audio via optical from this MythTV box through the receiver. When MythTV is set to output stereo I get audio fine. When it's set for 5.1 audio I seem to only get the left and right surrounds working. Am I doing something very wrong here or is it possible I have one busted up receiver?

Melraidin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 8, 2011

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

bad-yeti posted:

Edit:
I've just realised that the GT430 is a huge pile of garbage so will replace it for a 9600GT or similar.
Huh? Why is the 430 garbage?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Vinlaen posted:

Huh? Why is the 430 garbage?

Sounds like he's trying to use it play actual games, which it's not particularly great at. Of course, it's also super cheap and directly aimed at the HTPC market, which is pretty clear with a little research, so I'm not sure what he was expecting.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
A number of nVidia GPUs meant for the HTPC market aren't capable of DXVA / VDPAU accelerated filtering like anti-aliasing and noise reduction, especially at 1080P. Then there's issues of whether various audio codecs will get even passthrough support. I've always been a little pensive about what HDMI's unification of video and audio would mean for the audio and video card standards folks and on the HD technology push end, it seems to have just made things more complicated than anything else.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Help!

A few days ago I notice some very slight pops and clicks from the speakers on the TV when watching xbmc. First worry was that it was the TV but I couldn't notice it when watching normal TV.

HTPC is about 6 months old, self build core i3 with sound over HDMI, but I've just plugged some headphones in the front of the pc and its doing it through them too.

From what I can tell the realtek drivers are used for the headphones but not hdmi.

Any idea what it might be?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Other than trying to reinstall the Intel HD Graphics drivers and seeing if that fixes things, there aren't really a lot of fixes.

Sound codecs occasionally give up the ghost, and the standard replacement is a USB or PCI sound card which is basically just another codec chip and set of audio plugs. Unfortunately, that doesn't really work for the HDMI audio part of the i3, which uses its own codec rather than the one for the headphone jack.

As an alternative, you could try using a DVI cable and SP/DIF or Toslink from the motherboard audio to a muxer box like this, or just send the SP/DIF or Toslink to the TV directly, with the point being to use the Realtek audio codec instead of the apparently-faulty Intel one.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Its doing it through the audio jacks too, which use the realtek drivers.

My current guess is some interference or dodgy power current or something. But I don't know?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh. Okay, yes, I would look at power or possibly heat. Double check all the connections in the PC, make sure no cables are frayed or leaning against something important, check the capacitors for capacitor plauge, blow it out to get rid of dust, and if that doesn't help, then look at a new power supply (at least for testing purposes).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is the audio over HDMI using SPDIF pass-through from the Realtek card, or is it bitstreaming straight from the video card?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's not a video card, it's the integrated graphics on a Core i3, which means it's using the Intel HD Audio codec on the chipset to manage audio over HDMI.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

It's not a video card, it's the integrated graphics on a Core i3, which means it's using the Intel HD Audio codec on the chipset to manage audio over HDMI.

Ahh, Sandy Bridge? Gnarly. Hope the defect didn't get you.

Shadowknight
Jan 28, 2011

WE GET IT! YOU REALLY FUCKING HATE GEOFF JOHNS! NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT IN EVERY GODDAMNED POST!

TheScott2K posted:

Ahh, Sandy Bridge? Gnarly. Hope the defect didn't get you.

Sandy Bridge is 1155, i3 is 1156.

On-board graphics was supported before Sandy Bridge :ssh:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shadowknight posted:

Sandy Bridge is 1155, i3 is 1156.

On-board graphics was supported before Sandy Bridge :ssh:

My mistake, I thought SB i3's were the first i3s to have an on-die GPU. This is what happens when you live in AMD world for everything that's not an Atom.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
A loose wire on the USB for the LCD and the coax TV aerial had come apart too. Disconnected the LCD (don't use it anyway) and fixed the coax, so far it seems ok.

Fingers crossed.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For some reason, going 1900x1080 on my htpc cuts about 10% of the edges off my tv, and I have to go down to 1776-ish. Any idea how to fix this? I'm worried I'm not getting true 1080p quality. I have an as rock ion 330 and a samsung dlp

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Strict 9 posted:

For some reason, going 1900x1080 on my htpc cuts about 10% of the edges off my tv, and I have to go down to 1776-ish. Any idea how to fix this? I'm worried I'm not getting true 1080p quality. I have an as rock ion 330 and a samsung dlp

Play with the overscan slider in your videocards control panel settings.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gunslinger posted:

Play with the overscan slider in your videocards control panel settings.

So doing that still reduces the resolution a bit, but it does still say 1080p, so I suppose that's good enough?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Overscan settings doesn't change the resolution, just the scaling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Strict 9 posted:

So doing that still reduces the resolution a bit, but it does still say 1080p, so I suppose that's good enough?

I can't tell you the exact steps I used to fix this on my ION pc (because I'm not at it), but they were something like this...

Go to the Nvidia control panel and add a custom resolution. Set it to 1920x1080. In this dialog screenshot that I found somewhere on the net...

...change Timing>Standard to different options (no need to mess with Manual) until one eliminates overscan.

Don't know if this will work on your TV, but it works perfect on mine.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Traxxus posted:

Overscan settings doesn't change the resolution, just the scaling.

No, they change the resolution. The best way to solve this is to get your TV to display 1080p with no overscan. Most will have a setting for this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evilalien posted:

No, they change the resolution. The best way to solve this is to get your TV to display 1080p with no overscan. Most will have a setting for this.

Ahh, that reminds me. My TV does have a setting for this, but it wasn't enabled until I did the fuckery mentioned in my previous post.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

My old HTPC has stopped working and I can't figure out why at all. I decided to gut my old computer for parts, and need to buy a new motherboard for this all to work.

The only problem is that I'll be going from an ATI Radion HD3200 to an Intel GMA X4500.

Will the Intel GMA X4500 be able to handle 1080p?

The parts will be

ASUS P5G41C-M motherboard(link)
Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0ghz
4GB DDR2 800

Edit: On second thought, even if the GMA X4500 can't, I'm assuming the CPU is more than capable of handling it right?

blahz fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 14, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The X4500 can do DXVA, but it will be up to the program you are using for playback as to whether or not it will work. XBMC for example is notorious for having problems utilizing hardware acceleration using Intel graphics chips. As for the E8400, yeah that is more than capable of playing 1080p content without hardware acceleration.

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
Well my old faithful athlon64 + socket 754 mobo finally bit it after like 6 years. Looking to get back up and running with some new hardware, what onboard video chipset from either ati/nvidia would be capable of decoding hd content?

edit: also, other than an aspire rivo, are there any ready-to-run mini pc's that would make a decent htpc in the $200 range?

Quarantini fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Keep having problems where I won't get any sound output over HDMI. I get a popup saying there's a problem with the DVI-to-HDMI connector (which I do not use, I go HDMI from the HTPC directly to the tv) and I have to restart the HTPC to get sound again. Any ideas? All sound drivers are up to date and my TV is set to use HDMI audio.