Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the standard SRP for a digibook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Yeah it'll likely be closer to $20 on Amazon when it comes out. I'll be picking it up for sure, I'm a sucker for epics like that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kaboobi posted:

Now is there anywhere that'll actually sell Nausicaa for $25 or less?
Amazon has Nausicaa for $24.99 now. Sometimes people have had success emailing them about the $10 Disney coupons.

So YMMV type of situation.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Really excited to see the Ghibli blu rays coming out already, I was worried it'd take them longer than that to reach the states.

I'm looking to get a player. I know the OP says ps3, but I'm not really sure I want to spend the money on one. Especially since I don't really plan on using it for stuff other than blu ray. I guess my question is are ps3's really worth the extra money? Or would I be alright getting a sony brand player?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kingtheninja posted:

Really excited to see the Ghibli blu rays coming out already, I was worried it'd take them longer than that to reach the states.

I'm looking to get a player. I know the OP says ps3, but I'm not really sure I want to spend the money on one. Especially since I don't really plan on using it for stuff other than blu ray. I guess my question is are ps3's really worth the extra money? Or would I be alright getting a sony brand player?

You can still get a lot of use out of one without buying a single ps3 disc game. It has support for netflix and hulu, and theres playstation network games you can get like tetris or old ps1 games. It's pretty versatile and works well with a bunch of universal remotes too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only bad thing about the PS3 is the lack of support for PAL video on region free DVDs. I understand region locking, but it's ridiculous considering you can play a region free PAL disc on a $30 Walmart player.

I'm most surprised that no one has figured out how to unlock regions on a PS3 considering all the other hacks made to it. Is it because the Europe/Japan versions are unlocked?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kingtheninja posted:

The PS3 being the de facto Blu-Ray player is way outdated. You can get a standalone player for half the price that can also do all sorts of bonus stuff (Netflix or Hulu or MKV playback). If you don't care about videogames, get the standalone.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 9, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

The PS3 being the de facto Blu-Ray player is way outdated. You can get a standalone player for half the price that can also do Netflix/Hulu/MKVs. If you don't care about videogames, get the standalone.

I've just noticed a lot of weird playback issues and slower loading times with non-PS3 players. I'm sure there are more expensive stand alone non-PS3 players that perform as good as a PS3, but the cheaper players(even if they do netflix..ect) just do not perform as good.

One example is the wi-fi enabled insignia player at best buy. It loads blu rays really slow and for example you cannot even play the T2 skynet edition dvd. It constantly thinks you don't have an internet connection(at the loading screen that is a map of the USA) and locks up if you try to proceed without using internet features.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

I've just noticed a lot of weird playback issues and slower loading times with non-PS3 players. I'm sure there are more expensive stand alone non-PS3 players that perform as good as a PS3, but the cheaper players(even if they do netflix..ect) just do not perform as good.

One example is the wi-fi enabled insignia player at best buy. It loads blu rays really slow and for example you cannot even play the T2 skynet edition dvd. It constantly thinks you don't have an internet connection(at the loading screen that is a map of the USA) and locks up if you try to proceed without using internet features.

I have the same Insignia player (I think - although I have never ran into any issues with it), if you don't care about the BD-Live stuff, you can disable it through the options. It will skip all that crap and load discs faster.

Also, you are comparing a $100 offbrand player to the $300 PS3. You can now get a basic brand name player for the same price or a higher end model for an extra $25-100

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was personally looking at a couple sony brand players in the $150-200 range, they looked pretty decent but I didn't really know the difference between them honestly.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
If you don't need Wifi you might as well pick up a Sony S370 or S470(3D).

That said, if you plan on watching Region-B discs, look elsewhere.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh hey guys in case you didn't already have enough choices for Tron on bluray, here's another one:

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/17751755/Tron-Legacy-Limited-Collector-Edition/Product.html

Comes in a hideous box and includes a graphic novel! LE edition of 1000. Woo.

While looking at that site I found the UK is getting a two-disc release of Tron and Tron: Legacy on bluray: http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/17750535/Tron-Tron-Legacy-Double-Pack/Product.html Why can't I get that here? Might just have to import because I don't want the DVDs that come with every US release.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't several studios use the PS3 as their benchmark player? I'm pretty sure at least Criterion does this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Get the PS3.

- A top-of-the-line player
- Easier firmware upgrades
- Netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc.,
- Has a Web browser
- Can stream video, audio, pictures, etc., from your computer to your television

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Why do Blu-Ray discs not allow me to 'resume' as I could with DVDs?

What I'm talking about is if I put in a disc and watch, say, 45 minutes, and then turn the power off. On my DVD player, I could turn the power back on and it would resume where I left off. With Blu-Ray, it seems that 80% of the time I try this, it starts back at the beginning like I had inserted a new disc. Some movies resume right where I left off, and even less often, some discs pop up with a 'Resume Playback?' prompt.

My player doesn't have a bookmark feature that I am able to locate.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Oh hey guys in case you didn't already have enough choices for Tron on bluray, here's another one:

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/17751755/Tron-Legacy-Limited-Collector-Edition/Product.html

Comes in a hideous box and includes a graphic novel! LE edition of 1000. Woo.

That's so retarded I'd order it if it weren't £50 more than the regular edition.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Butthole Prince posted:

Why do Blu-Ray discs not allow me to 'resume' as I could with DVDs?

What I'm talking about is if I put in a disc and watch, say, 45 minutes, and then turn the power off. On my DVD player, I could turn the power back on and it would resume where I left off. With Blu-Ray, it seems that 80% of the time I try this, it starts back at the beginning like I had inserted a new disc. Some movies resume right where I left off, and even less often, some discs pop up with a 'Resume Playback?' prompt.

My player doesn't have a bookmark feature that I am able to locate.

This is due to the lovely java controls that some, but NOT ALL, discs use.

Basically, there isn't a set, uniform way to master a Blu-Ray disc, so different companies use different things for different discs. It's kinda ridiculous.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Get the PS3.

- Has a Web browser
- Can stream video, audio, pictures, etc., from your computer to your television

Too bad that the Netflix interface is atrocious and hideous looking, and the web browser, last time I checked, was a glitchy and clunky slow piece of poo poo. But atleast it's free!

The media server thing is actually pretty neat, and it does play back most media pretty well.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
What's so bad about the Netflix interface?

I actively use the PS3 interface at my place and the Wii interface and my girlfriend's and I much prefer the PS3's.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
They just changed the PS3 interface again not that long ago. It's a bit better now. I was fine with the old interface.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah the Netflix app, while buggy (all the Netflix apps are, though), is decent. The only thing that's completely worthless is the web browser.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Count me in on preferring the PS3 Netflix interface to that on Wii or 360. By a decent margin.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
My Panasonic DMP-BD85K does everything that a PS3 will do outside of games for half the cost. I'm guessing the 2011 replacement will be coming soon since the player is now a hundred dollars more than usual but whatever unit replaces that should be good as well.

WLAN, Pandora, Netflix, Amazon Video, excellent AVI file support, and a bunch of other internet things that I haven't used yet.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'd just like to point out, that as a general rule, the OP is just assuming that you, as a goon, enjoy videogames.

Even if you have an xbox/wii/whatever, the PS3 does have some good stuff like Uncharted/Demons Souls, or Little Big Planet, and if you're investing over $100 in a bluray player anyway, its not that much to add a little bit more and get a PS3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

I'd just like to point out, that as a general rule, the OP is just assuming that you, as a goon, enjoy videogames.

Even if you have an xbox/wii/whatever, the PS3 does have some good stuff like Uncharted/Demons Souls, or Little Big Planet, and if you're investing over $100 in a bluray player anyway, its not that much to add a little bit more and get a PS3.

I'll never understand this. Double the price (or more than that depending on what is important to him) isn't a small increase when the price is already into the hundred(s).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FYI to anyone considering a PS3 - buy it at Amazon. No tax/free shipping and right now they're offering a $50 credit when you buy one.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Sporadic posted:

I'll never understand this. Double the price (or more than that depending on what is important to him) isn't a small increase when the price is already into the hundred(s).

Agreed and I say this as a PS3 owner. You can get a $99 Sony that'll do MKV/work with PS3 Media Server as well as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc, or the 3D capable version for 20 bucks more. Go up to $150 and there's a bunch of options. And the OP said he doesn't even need that, just Blu-Ray.

Maybe the interface isn't as good, maybe it sucks at DVD upscaling, but for someone who wants a basic player and has no interest in gaming, continuing to recommend a device that is two or even three times more expensive (more if he wants an actual remote) is just senseless.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 10, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

doctor thodt posted:

FYI to anyone considering a PS3 - buy it at Amazon. No tax/free shipping and right now they're offering a $50 credit when you buy one.

Alternatively if you have a lot of free time/an appropriate browser plugin trawl the Warehouse Deals section for some damaged box units. I got one for just under 200 bucks brand new.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Now is there anywhere that'll actually sell Nausicaa for $25 or less?

Does Walmart honor Disney coupons?

$24.99

We could see a sale on the release date.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I'm pleased as punch in regard to Sony getting to put out MGM's stuff. I'm hoping I can finally get my hands on Blood Simple. And of course, everyone wants Goldeneye.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

some of you guys might wanna check craigs list in your area for Blockbuster stores that are closing. The ones around me have put listings up and I've scored some decent deals from there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fiddler on the Roof is apparently coming out on April 5th.

Silber posted:

I'm pleased as punch in regard to Sony getting to put out MGM's stuff. I'm hoping I can finally get my hands on Blood Simple. And of course, everyone wants Goldeneye.

Maybe we'll finally see some Woody Allen classics. The best part is that Sony also licenses to Criterion, so we don't have to worry about the titles Fox licensed out.

Chrono Cross
Dec 16, 2010
Dimension Beach.
Just watched Secret of Kells last night, easily the best animated blu ray I've seen so far. Get this movie!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Network reviewed

Some new announcements (sorry if some of these are repeats):

Love and Other Drugs (3/1)
The Next Three Days (3/8)
All Dogs Go to Heaven (3/9)
All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (3/9)
Picture This (3/9)
The Secret of NIMH (3/9)
Material Girls (3/9)
Teen Wolf (3/9)
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde (3/9)
The Fighter (3/15)
Galaxina / Crater Lake Monster (3/22)
Fiddler on the Roof 40th Anniversary Edition (4/5)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (4/12)
Rabbit Hole (4/19)
The Way Back (4/19)
Passion Play (5/24)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Masters of Cinema is looking to release Fritz Lang's Der Tiger von Eschnapur and Das indische Grabmal late next year.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Finally, my collection will be complete with the addition of All Dogs Go To Heaven 2

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Finally, my collection will be complete with the addition of All Dogs Go To Heaven 2

That's hearsay. Everyone knows the original first movie was the only one!

And don't get me started on the Cats spinoffs!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe we'll finally see some Woody Allen classics. The best part is that Sony also licenses to Criterion, so we don't have to worry about the titles Fox licensed out.

I'm hoping for some of their Blaxploitation movies. They looked pretty good on MGM HD

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post

:siren: Taxi Driver preorder on Amazon - $12.99 :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IFYMYI?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004IFYMYI

Set for an April 5th release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Also, you are comparing a $100 offbrand player to the $300 PS3. You can now get a basic brand name player for the same price or a higher end model for an extra $25-100

I guess in my honest opinion the performance decrease with a cheaper player is unacceptable. Blu Rays take long enough to load on a PS3 as is, and the load times are just ridiculous on low end players.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Get the PS3.

- Has a Web browser

This. For the price I really think you are getting the best deal with the PS3. They are really good about updating it as well and it just feels more future proofed.

BitterAvatar posted:

What's so bad about the Netflix interface?

I actively use the PS3 interface at my place and the Wii interface and my girlfriend's and I much prefer the PS3's.

Yeah he must not have seen the new interface which has greatly improved. I still prefer the xbox 360 netflix interface out of all three, but I do own all 3 and they all get the job done very nicely now. Once they added search to all the systems it really helped a lot.

• Locked thread