Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Host it yourself of use gmail. I have to use Hotmail occasionally to test stuff and it's like stepping back in time a decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I was browsing "poo poo my kids ruined" and found this. Needless to say, it got to me more than anything else on there.

"My Carl Zeiss 24-70 2.8"

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dakana posted:

I was browsing "poo poo my kids ruined" and found this. Needless to say, it got to me more than anything else on there.

"My Carl Zeiss 24-70 2.8"

Looks like the UV filter got the worst of it?

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Dread Head posted:

Looks like the UV filter got the worst of it?

:smug:

In all seriousness though I can't tell if it took any mechanical damage from a hit like that even if it saved the front element.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hey guys whats up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Nothing much, you?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not much! Just trying to work out flickr and sorting some photos :buddy:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Tryin' to get my hands on some dollars and cents

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Interrupting Moss posted:

Tryin' to get my hands on some dollars and cents

I just finished a monthlong grueling contract for 1/5 my yearly salary (on top of my day job salary) and I am soooo jonesing to spend it on the new Fuji X100, but it's not out till March. I'm like a junkie waiting for his next fix.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
Weird, I've got stuff in my Hotmail inbox that goes back to '07. But I mostly use gmail too :p

surgical scar posted:

just found out that loving Hotmail has been purging my older e-mails. as in, everything before Sep '10 is gone. bye bye thousands of dollars of photography-related tax writeoffs godfuckingdamnit

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Waiting on some Portra to get developed so I can fall in love with my M645 kit all over again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm now 100% sure that Pentax is just trolling us

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want my 7D to look like that :(

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

I want my 7D to look like that :(

All you need is a can of pink spray paint and 12 year old girl and you'll have it look like that in no time!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

poopinmymouth posted:

I just finished a monthlong grueling contract for 1/5 my yearly salary (on top of my day job salary) and I am soooo jonesing to spend it on the new Fuji X100, but it's not out till March. I'm like a junkie waiting for his next fix.

I don't think anyone in the world is anticipating this camera more than you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Martytoof posted:

Counterpoint: No-one will want to steal it

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
That above post got me curious, so I googled for the X100. Sad to say but this Pentax clearly wins in the design department.

Martytoof posted:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I want to see a pack of roving photojournalists all carrying that camera.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Martytoof posted:

When I see that, I have to imagine it has all kinds of cool and whacky shutter sound effects, that you can select to entertain the subject.

Chose from all time favorites like: BAZOW!, CUKOOO!, UFO landing and "Who's your daddy?"
Or, even use your own ringtones from PentaxK.com!

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I printed off a photo at 1x2m solely so the only place I can unroll it to show women is their beds.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

thats a good idea man

does anyone like drifting? if so y'all should check out my first proper outing with my 7D :D

http://www.driftworks.com/2011/02/teessideways/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't think anyone in the world is anticipating this camera more than you.

Maybe, but I talked to my dealer today, and he said Amazon put the pre order up today, and after 6 hours, Fuji HQ asked them to take it down because they had already gotten 180 pre orders. He said he isn't sure how many will make it to America for the first round out of the factory. I told him I would pay the entirety right now and I could hear the dollar signs appear in his eyes as he paused before saying, "I think that could be arranged".

I WILL have one of the firsts. If there wasn't a 350 dollar markup in Japan, and I didn't have a free way to get it in from the US without shipping or VAT, I would order from there because it's supposed to drop in Japan on March 5.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

A5H posted:

thats a good idea man

does anyone like drifting? if so y'all should check out my first proper outing with my 7D :D

http://www.driftworks.com/2011/02/teessideways/

There's a lot of ugly flaring in a few of them. Did you use a lens hood? Maybe some photoshopping could fix it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I was actually aiming for the flare :(
A lot of people in car scenes seem to be doing it at the moment and I really liked the aesthetic so gave it a go.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Helmacron posted:

I printed off a photo at 1x2m solely so the only place I can unroll it to show women is their beds.
Doing this.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just bought a 2tb HDD to back up all my poo poo at a 2nd location. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. Back up your photos people. It feels awesome.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Maybe, but I talked to my dealer today, and he said Amazon put the pre order up today, and after 6 hours, Fuji HQ asked them to take it down because they had already gotten 180 pre orders. He said he isn't sure how many will make it to America for the first round out of the factory. I told him I would pay the entirety right now and I could hear the dollar signs appear in his eyes as he paused before saying, "I think that could be arranged".

I WILL have one of the firsts. If there wasn't a 350 dollar markup in Japan, and I didn't have a free way to get it in from the US without shipping or VAT, I would order from there because it's supposed to drop in Japan on March 5.

You should buy plane tickets and follow the X100 launch like it's the McRib (and document it with an X100).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's so great about it then?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

A5H posted:

What's so great about it then?

It's like a Leica X1 but half the price and with more features, especially the optical viewfinder.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Holy poo poo the UK price is £1000.
Looks really nice though.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
This is getting pretty far away from photography, but I had some fun tonight playing with an image-to-sound converter. http://www.skyfell.org/soundofanimage.html
It interprets RGB pixel values as MIDI notes, which can then be mapped to different instruments and used in audio synthesis programs.

An hour or so of screwing around turned one of my old urbex pictures:

Counters

into this audio:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
drat that's super cool! It'd be fun to play with different images to see if you can get sounds that fit the same mood.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is getting pretty far away from photography, but I had some fun tonight playing with an image-to-sound converter. http://www.skyfell.org/soundofanimage.html
It interprets RGB pixel values as MIDI notes, which can then be mapped to different instruments and used in audio synthesis programs.

An hour or so of screwing around turned one of my old urbex pictures:

Counters

into this audio:

That's pretty cool. Is there a legitimate(/alternate) use for that technique, or is it purely just doing something awesome?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Shmoogy posted:

That's pretty cool. Is there a legitimate(/alternate) use for that technique, or is it purely just doing something awesome?

One of my friends got an assignment to reinterpret a self-portrait into a different sensory medium, so she asked if I knew anything about turning an image into sound. FruityLoops and Adobe Audition have tools sorta like this too, I used to use those to make some weird generative work for one of my New Media undergrad courses. It can be an interesting way to make abstract soundscape stuff or for multimedia image+sound installation work... so the legitimate use is pretty much "lol art."

Also, Aphex Twin sometimes use hosed up pictures to control spectrographs in their music:

I'm going to try using this PC program when I get home later: http://www.nicolasfournel.com/audiopaint.htm
Similar idea, but it'd be turning images into sound by using additive synthesis instead of MIDI. Here's a sound sample from their site, made out of an image from the Hubble Telescope: http://www.nicolasfournel.com/waves/AudioPaint/GhostsFromSpace.mp3

BobTheCow posted:

drat that's super cool! It'd be fun to play with different images to see if you can get sounds that fit the same mood.

Bright images make really horribly high-pitched tones. Colorful images create a lot of difference between the three main instrument channels, getting more chaotic with more color differences and saturation. It also depends a lot on which instruments you map the RGB values to... using square wave, woodblock, and saw wave made that image sound almost exactly like background music from the game DOOM. Piano and flute just sound jangly and goofy, but might work for a dark yet colorful image.

I did add a lot of post-processing too once it started yielding a direction that I liked. Converted image to MIDI, pulled MIDI file into GarageBand, then designed some quick custom synth instruments and effects for each track instead of using the generic midi stuff. It was pretty fun to try, kind of a neat scattershot way of getting new sound ideas too.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2011

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

poopinmymouth posted:

PIMM if you are interested in obtaining a japanese model, why dont you shoot me a mail if your local dealer wont work out. I am sure we can arrange something. Mail is: manuel.der.kater at geemeru dot com.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm going to Japan in late March, I have no need for an X100 but maaaaaaan do I want one. I'm putting any cash I earn from photography aside to pay for a 5D MK 2 and I'm at the $1000 mark right now. That cash could easily disappear.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 10, 2011

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I was going to keep mine at my dad's house but I found a used Sentry fireproof 2-drawer file cabinet at a building surplus store. Retail is $400-500; I paid $40 and need to get a key from the manufacturer. Now my apartment can burn down for all I care, my poo poo's safe and sound JUST KIDDING, GOD.

spf3million posted:

I just bought a 2tb HDD to back up all my poo poo at a 2nd location. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. Back up your photos people. It feels awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spf3million posted:

Now if only I had some photos worth backing up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 10, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Martytoof posted:

OK, now I get it. It's attached to Bonnie Pink, Jpop artist. It's supposed to be kawaii ^_^!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5pN-xMnPo&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5pN-xMnPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
A work D300, its battery grip, and the 17-35 2.8 smell like baby shampoo now. I shot the musical Evil Dead in a small studio theater, and there was fake blood everywhere. They said they go through about a gallon a night.

It was pretty funny.