Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Display brightness.

Thanks. I use the Nvidia slider to adjust the brightness normally, but I am looking for a way to gradually dim out my monitors when idle. I was hoping I could do it without a third-party app...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LoKout posted:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Run a full scan a few times and it should clean up most everything.

In other news, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 was given a release date today - Announcement.

goddamnit i want to deploy SP1 to my R2 servers so bad.

e: no ETA on Ie9?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

WorkingStiff posted:

Thanks. I use the Nvidia slider to adjust the brightness normally, but I am looking for a way to gradually dim out my monitors when idle. I was hoping I could do it without a third-party app...

The display brightness slider in Windows 7 requires that the hardware controlling the power to the CCFL/LEDs behind the display supports it - effectively it's taking the hardware brightness control on your desktop monitor and mapping it to some function keys. It is possible to retrofit it (with my current laptop it was enabled after a BIOS update) but that only works when the computer knows for certain what panel is connected to it and how it's connected.

In short, it's never going to work on a normal desktop. It may work on an iMac (as they know what panel they're using) but only if Apple feels like exposing the relevant interface to a Windows install.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

incoherent posted:

e: no ETA on Ie9?

RC was just put up: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/home

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Cool, they fixed the bug that caused all of SA's javascript to not work.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The RC is very fast. I like it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

c0burn posted:

Wow it really is. I'm not going to say faster than Chrome but it's getting to the point where you can't really tell without a benchmark. Which is great.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
From that MS blog

"@Cosmin, the full build number is 7601.17514.101119-1850. :-)"

Guess that leaked SP1 I installed is final, then :)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

c0burn posted:

It is, shockingly so. I can scarcely believe it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are Tracking Protection Lists out for IE9 yet? I want to ditch Chrome to the point that I almost started writing an AdBlock BHO this week (until I read about this new feature).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It is, shockingly so. I can scarcely believe it.

I gotta attribute it to the GPU rendering. I deliberately turned it off and it felt similar to IE8.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

incoherent posted:

I gotta attribute it to the GPU rendering. I deliberately turned it off and it felt similar to IE8.

Well yes that's the point of GPU rendering. That's why turning off Aero all the way is a dumb idea too.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well yes that's the point of GPU rendering. That's why turning off Aero all the way is a dumb idea too.

I guess the point he was making is that IE needs GPU assistance just to catch up with what the other browsers can do without acceleration. In other words while the end-user experience is good, it still doesn't reflect well on the underlying code base.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rolleyes posted:

I guess the point he was making is that IE needs GPU assistance just to catch up with what the other browsers can do without acceleration. In other words while the end-user experience is good, it still doesn't reflect well on the underlying code base.

Firefox 4 uses GPU acceleration. Latest Chrome uses partial GPU acceleration and will be full GPU acceleration soon. Opera uses some GPU acceleration as well.

Everything's using it and everything's faster because of it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Flash 10.2 is just out as well, which includes enhanced IE9 acceleration support.

Tellara
May 2, 2003

Quality Custom Glassware Since 1923

fishmech posted:

Firefox 4 uses GPU acceleration. Latest Chrome uses partial GPU acceleration and will be full GPU acceleration soon. Opera uses some GPU acceleration as well.

Everything's using it and everything's faster because of it.

Yep, and the development of IE9 resulted in a bunch of improvements to the Windows 7 graphics subsystem, too. If you recall, installing the beta required you to install several hotfixes for Windows 7 that touched the DWM among other things.

IE9 isn't using secret APIs to do its hardware acceleration (this would be an antitrust violation). So everyone can do the same thing and benefit.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rolleyes posted:

Benchmarks don't really mean anything, but run IE9 in software mode through something like the SunSpider benchmarks and compare that to an IE8 run.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there any reason why I shouldn't use 64-bit IE9?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If you don't care about plugins, then no.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

raezr posted:

If you don't care about plugins, then no.

I really want mouse gestures, so I guess I'll head back to 32-bit.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Super Dude posted:

I really want mouse gestures, so I guess I'll head back to 32-bit.

You'll probably want Flash too, unless you install Flash Player Square

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Tellara posted:

Yep, and the development of IE9 resulted in a bunch of improvements to the Windows 7 graphics subsystem, too. If you recall, installing the beta required you to install several hotfixes for Windows 7 that touched the DWM among other things.

IE9 isn't using secret APIs to do its hardware acceleration (this would be an antitrust violation). So everyone can do the same thing and benefit.

Microsoft still has some advantages however. Look at some of the benchmarks they have added to the testdrive site, even with their competitors using hardware acceleration IE9 is still worlds faster. This is probably what the IEblog was talking about that their acceleration is complete while Firefox's was still partial. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/09/10/the-architecture-of-full-hardware-acceleration-of-all-web-page-content.aspx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Super Dude posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use 64-bit IE9?

There's Flash and Java for 64 bit IE now, the only reason to go back to 32 bit is so you're less secure and can install Bonzi Buddy Toolbar 2011.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does Windows 7 need occasionally need to phone home to stay activated or something? I canceled my home Internet access a while ago, and now I'm getting messages about how my copy of Windows might not be genuine. I haven't changed my hardware, so I don't know what's prompting this.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

Does Windows 7 need occasionally need to phone home to stay activated or something? I canceled my home Internet access a while ago, and now I'm getting messages about how my copy of Windows might not be genuine. I haven't changed my hardware, so I don't know what's prompting this.

It's happened with me several times now. I've never seen it with XP or Vista, but I've had it happen at least twice with Win7.

Just let it activate again.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Xenomorph posted:

It's happened with me several times now. I've never seen it with XP or Vista, but I've had it happen at least twice with Win7.

Just let it activate again.

quote:

I canceled my home Internet access

Unless I build a cantenna to mooch some nearby wifi, I'll have to do this over the phone every time it happens, which I suspect will be more of a pain in the rear end than it should be because I bought the system-builders' version on Newegg.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Toast Museum posted:

Unless I build a cantenna to mooch some nearby wifi, I'll have to do this over the phone every time it happens, which I suspect will be more of a pain in the rear end than it should be because I bought the system-builders' version on Newegg.

You shouldn't have to do it more than once.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toast Museum posted:

Got a landline and are willing to pay long distance charges to access dial-up internet service that is otherwise free? http://nocharge.com/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If i'm running my OS on a SSD (which disables indexing by default) and have stuff spread across mechanical drives, whats the best way to go about indexing those for searches?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

incoherent posted:

If i'm running my OS on a SSD (which disables indexing by default) and have stuff spread across mechanical drives, whats the best way to go about indexing those for searches?

SSDs do not disable indexing, who told you that? And if you turned it off yourself,turn it back on.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

incoherent posted:

Either add the folders to a library (libraries are always indexed if the folders are local) or manually add the folders to the index in Indexing Options (type that into the start menu).

edit:
Also what fishmech said. I'm running on an SSD and indexing is a-OK. Why would it be disabled? SSDs only degrade (after a very long time) due to write cycles, indexing involves loads of read cycles (harmless) and a minuscule amount of writing if the database needs updating.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 13, 2011

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Quit disabling indexing

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Is there a tool for Windows 7 that watches running process and fires an event with a process with a certain name starts up?

I would like to execute a few commands when process xy.exe starts, and a few more if it's finished. Is there a smart way to do this?

I've found tons of process monitors for windows, but none that could be used to execute commands.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Is there a tool for Windows 7 that watches running process and fires an event with a process with a certain name starts up?

I would like to execute a few commands when process xy.exe starts, and a few more if it's finished. Is there a smart way to do this?

I've found tons of process monitors for windows, but none that could be used to execute commands.

Possibly eventghost?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Wow, this tool is awesome. Got it working, thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Wow, this tool is awesome. Got it working, thanks!

FWIW, this is trivial to implement in AutoIT.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hey there. Using Win7 for a month by now and i'm pretty happy with it. Went for the 64 bit edition for the first time. Pretty gravy, so far. Just recently hit some dead ends that made me wish for a 32 bit OS again. All other PCs with 32 bit OSes nearby are either broken or off-limits to me, though.

Now, i read a little about dual-booting and VHDs and things, which sounds pretty awesome. Downloaded EasyBCD, too. I'd need to slightly reformat my pretty stuffed HD, though, so i'll ask to be sure before i undertake that task.

I heard you can activate both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 with one key, which would be pretty swanky. Most articles i found were form the Win7 beta phase, though. So is it still possible to get both 32 and 64 bit running on your PC with dualboot and one license? I planned on stuffing 32 bit into a Virtual HD to be placed on my current C drive, good/bad idea?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
What 64bit issuse have you hit? Might be possible to find ways around them rather than going straight to a dual boot? I've not really had issues so far.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

HenryEx posted:

Hey there. Using Win7 for a month by now and i'm pretty happy with it. Went for the 64 bit edition for the first time. Pretty gravy, so far. Just recently hit some dead ends that made me wish for a 32 bit OS again. All other PCs with 32 bit OSes nearby are either broken or off-limits to me, though.

Now, i read a little about dual-booting and VHDs and things, which sounds pretty awesome. Downloaded EasyBCD, too. I'd need to slightly reformat my pretty stuffed HD, though, so i'll ask to be sure before i undertake that task.

I heard you can activate both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 with one key, which would be pretty swanky. Most articles i found were form the Win7 beta phase, though. So is it still possible to get both 32 and 64 bit running on your PC with dualboot and one license? I planned on stuffing 32 bit into a Virtual HD to be placed on my current C drive, good/bad idea?

By activating with one key, they mean your key can activate a single 32-bit or 64-bit version, not that you can run a 64-bit os, and use the same key for a 32-bit machine or a 32-bit vm on the same hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MeKeV posted:

What 64bit issuse have you hit? Might be possible to find ways around them rather than going straight to a dual boot? I've not really had issues so far.

Some discontinued tools or programs i occasionally use that are cockblocked by the x64 kernel patch protection.

Ryokurin posted:

By activating with one key, they mean your key can activate a single 32-bit or 64-bit version, not that you can run a 64-bit os, and use the same key for a 32-bit machine or a 32-bit vm on the same hardware.
That's a pity, seems i have to nag and beg my buddy for a spare key then.

So this probably isn't Win7 exclusive, but i was kinda surprised to hear that the User files directories are symbolic links and that i can place my User profiles anywhere i want on the hard disk, outside the boot partition, too.
Is it possible then to use the same profiles i have on my 64 bit installation on the secondary 32 bit one without having to tweak and reconfigure them all over again? This takes up ungodly amounts of time on every Windows installation, right behind installing all my little essential tools and apps.