Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Wyatt posted:

I'll second this. I work for the state, as a senior policy analyst tasked with handling legislative issues for my agency. So I spend time with the law, but working from the policy side of things. I get to do a lot of research and analysis (which I love), get to be part of the legislative machine (I am, strictly speaking, a lobbyist for my agency), and put in 40 hours a week.

The downside is, of course, the pay. It's good, but not as good as big law. Although, the hourly rate probably works out to be the same, given the time some of those poor souls have to put in. Plus, I am in a protected, permanent position. Now if we can just solve our state budget issues so we can get raises...

I've got friends in the budget office. With the increases in furlough days and the increased health insurance/pension pay ins you're looking at a 10-25% pay cut.

Work for a state (other than Wisconsin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

drat Phantom posted:

That's actually really generous assuming they don't do something like section stack all the scholarship kids against each other. Then again, having 75% of >3,000 students paying sticker makes a large pool of money they can dole out scholarships with.

Basically what they do is build in a crushing curve designed to yank the grants of everyone but maybe 5% of the kids they give them too. So those figures are only for first years. I'd love to see who actually graduates with the same amount of money given to them for every year.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Basically what they do is build in a crushing curve designed to yank the grants of everyone but maybe 5% of the kids they give them too. So those figures are only for first years. I'd love to see who actually graduates with the same amount of money given to them for every year.

I suspect these numbers are not on the cooley website

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

JudicialRestraints posted:

I've got friends in the budget office. With the increases in furlough days and the increased health insurance/pension pay ins you're looking at a 10-25% pay cut.

Yeah, don't even get me started on Governor Slash-n-Burn.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Defleshed posted:

Right here, for one.

To keep your scholarship at the same level you have to:

1. have a 2.0 or better, cumulative; and
2. have a 2.0 or better in the required classes.

As for outrageous tuition costs, Cooley is currently at $1093 per credit hour. I honestly don't know costs for other law schools, and would be interested to see how it stacks up.

Edit: I should also add that the 2.0 requirements listed above (for good standing) are not only the requirements for keeping your scholarship, they're the requirements for staying enrolled. So if grades drop to that point, academic dismissal is the real threat, not losing your Cooley bux.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 9, 2011

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Add Florida to the list of no state jobs. Our new Tea Party governor, Rick $cott, started fulfilling his promise to create 700,000 jobs by cutting 5,000 state jobs, slashing $4billion from the education budget, and lowering taxes. His motto is that state government jobs kill the economy and the only way to create jobs is through the private sector (by lowering the corporate income tax from 4.5% to 3.5%).

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

blar posted:

Add Florida to the list of no state jobs. Our new Tea Party governor, Rick $cott, started fulfilling his promise to create 700,000 jobs by cutting 5,000 state jobs, slashing $4billion from the education budget, and lowering taxes. His motto is that state government jobs kill the economy and the only way to create jobs is through the private sector (by lowering the corporate income tax from 4.5% to 3.5%).

this dude is dumb as hell but so is Florida so welp :smith:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

blar posted:

it's almost as though wealth trickles down from the largest corporations

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Counterpoint: You get health and pension benefits.

atlas of bugs posted:

it's almost as though wealth trickles down from the largest corporations
Trickles down into the CEO's pockets. Where it the trickles down into the towns of Maranello, Italy or Zuffenhausen, Germany.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 9, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

nm posted:

Counterpoint: You get health and pension benefits.

I'd happily trade some of those benefits for a higher paycheck. Our health benefits are obscene.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

nm posted:

Trickles down into the CEO's pockets. Where it the trickles down into the towns of Maranello, Italy or Zuffenhausen, Germany.

um, are you seriously trying to call bullshit on an economic mechanism that brought us the boom of the 90s??

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Alaemon posted:

Right here, for one.

To keep your scholarship at the same level you have to:

1. have a 2.0 or better, cumulative; and
2. have a 2.0 or better in the required classes.

That's interesting. I had an acquaintance who dropped out of Cooley who told me that he did so after losing all of his 1L grant money because he couldn't maintain a 3.5 GPA which he claimed was the cutoff.

I suppose it is entirely possible he was lying in order to keep from revealing the embarrassing notion that he was unable to maintain a 2.0.

Honestly, looking at the linked page, I should have gone to Cooley. I was a Michigan resident at the time I was applying to law schools and my LSAT score would have gotten me hella Cooleybux. The JD would be no more worthless than my current one from Loyola Chicago which I paid full sticker for. I think I might have actually applied to them but I don't remember hearing anything back. Waitlisted at Cooley! WTF!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Defleshed posted:

That's interesting. I had an acquaintance who dropped out of Cooley who told me that he did so after losing all of his 1L grant money because he couldn't maintain a 3.5 GPA which he claimed was the cutoff.

I've never heard of anything like that.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
My husband took a test today to be a paralegal for LA County. He reported a sizeable portion of the other 50 people in the room had JDs and of those many were barred.

Six figure debt for a $17/hour job.

Edit: Not Cooley, but my scholarship at Southwestern was contingent on me maintaining a 3.5 in 1L. If I got below a 3.0, it was cut off entirely. Between 3.0 and 3.5 it was halved. I think. If I remember right.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atlas of bugs posted:

um, are you seriously trying to call bullshit on an economic mechanism that brought us the boom of the 90s??
How dare I question St. Reagan!

Save me jeebus posted:

Edit: Not Cooley, but my scholarship at Southwestern was contingent on me maintaining a 3.5 in 1L. If I got below a 3.0, it was cut off entirely. Between 3.0 and 3.5 it was halved. I think. If I remember right.
UMN had some required GPA for my scholarship.
After my first year I got a letter saying that if my grades didn't improve in 2 years from that date, I might maybe lose the money. The difference between T1 and T4, I guess.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 9, 2011

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Alaemon posted:

I've never heard of anything like that.

In that case, Cooley honestly doesn't seem like a bad idea for High LSAT scorers who live in Michigan and just want to get a JD so they can hang their own shingle. Seems like you could do a lot worse than 75-100% of your tuition costs covered.

I feel bad for bad mouthing them based on what I assumed was the truth from one guy!

Of course it could be that Alaemon is indeed the dean of Cooley and he's sabotaging our thread like the people who post about their wonderful experiences with Multi Level Marketing on the scam websites. :chord:

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 9, 2011

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

If I were really one of the deans, I would be sitting here trying to explain why the Cooley rankings are a for-real thing, instead of agreeing that they make the school look pathetic and desperate.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Aghh, god, the cause of action I fought day and night with my boss against adding finally came back and bit us in the rear end. The guy our client hired to work hourly on legal research said "gently caress this" and kicked it over to me. I have two days to respond to this MSJ and absolutely no loving precedent.

:bang:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
When does Law Revue heat up? Anyone want to do a goon-based one? It could be cool to collab across campuses and submit something.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

CaptainScraps posted:

Aghh, god, the cause of action I fought day and night with my boss against adding finally came back and bit us in the rear end. The guy our client hired to work hourly on legal research said "gently caress this" and kicked it over to me. I have two days to respond to this MSJ and absolutely no loving precedent.

:bang:

It appears as if you are dissatisfied with your job.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

sigmachiev posted:

When does Law Revue heat up? Anyone want to do a goon-based one? It could be cool to collab across campuses and submit something.

Yeah, goons and Law Revue are both pretty drat cool. Especially if they do a wacky hip hop parody.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yeah, goons and Law Revue are both pretty drat cool. Especially if they do a wacky hip hop parody.

Jesus. It's not like I want to do it on the subject of goons. We have some funny people who come here who might be down.

E. Meh MFH you know you're my boy so why break my balls is all. Anyway, if someone wants to bounce ideas around hit me up.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 10, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Tell me about the glamorous world of temporary document review.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poofactory posted:

It appears as if you are dissatisfied with your job.

The lovely part (for him)? I think I make more than he does and my job's pretty easy

yeah i went straight from whining to bragging how about it

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quote:

As for outrageous tuition costs, Cooley is currently at $1093 per credit hour. I honestly don't know costs for other law schools, and would be interested to see how it stacks up.

My law school was I think 825 per credit hour for the class of '10, and 860 or 870 for the classes behind me.

I thought that was bad, but Cooley's is terrifying.

My TTT gave me some money 1L year, but the GPA cutoff was 3.5. I did well my 1L year, but we had a hard C+ curve, and I ended up around a 3.1 and lost the dinero. 3L year, they changed the curve to B- for 1Ls and B for everyone else, so I guess they changed the GPA cutoffs for the money too.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

How dare I question St. Reagan!

UMN had some required GPA for my scholarship.
After my first year I got a letter saying that if my grades didn't improve in 2 years from that date, I might maybe lose the money. The difference between T1 and T4, I guess.

UMN offered me a full ride contingent on getting a 2.0

My UW scholarship is contingent upon 'adequate academic performance' but I have to write yearly thank you letters to whatever rich fucker financed it.

But it's ok, jokes on me. There are no jobs in Wisconsin.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

UMN offered me a full ride contingent on getting a 2.0

My UW scholarship is contingent upon 'adequate academic performance' but I have to write yearly thank you letters to whatever rich fucker financed it.

But it's ok, jokes on me. There are no jobs in Wisconsin.
Mine was like 3.5 (or maybe it was top quartile or something, i don't remember -- it was definitely higher than 2.0, because even though i sucked at law school, i didn't suck that much). I also had to write a letter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ooh. That reminds me. I think I was supposed to write a thank you letter for something I got in law school as well. Um.......well, it probably wasn't important.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ooh. That reminds me. I think I was supposed to write a thank you letter for something I got in law school as well. Um.......well, it probably wasn't important.

I actually wrote the letter, but I don't have an envelope. I was going to use one from work but there's a sign that says "If you use these for personal use you will be fined $300." I wish they would just let me email him.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
Columbia worth it at sticker?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Trash Can Man posted:

Columbia worth it at sticker?

No.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

sigmachiev posted:

Jesus. It's not like I want to do it on the subject of goons. We have some funny people who come here who might be down.

E. Meh MFH you know you're my boy so why break my balls is all. Anyway, if someone wants to bounce ideas around hit me up.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to break your balls, was just being silly. :(

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

"Sorry you're going away for a year. I'd hug you, but..."

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Campus newspaper gettin in on the law school scam reporting industry!

http://badgerherald.com/news/2011/02/08/villanova_law_school.php

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
This guy graduated from a TTTT in the 90's, defaulted on his loans, and posted scans of his loan statements.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blar posted:

This guy graduated from a TTTT in the 90's, defaulted on his loans, and posted scans of his loan statements.

Jesus, this guy should go work as a janitor for a non-profit and get that poo poo IBR'ed in 10 years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have horrible non-confirmed news (source: former Managing Partner of larger CA lawfirm)
University of Phoenix is planning to open a law school. I have no other details.

T5 law school?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

I have horrible non-confirmed news (source: former Managing Partner of larger CA lawfirm)
University of Phoenix is planning to open a law school. I have no other details.

T5 law school?

Depending on what internet connection you use, it could be a T1 school.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The first thing we do, let's burn all the law schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Depending on what internet connection you use, it could be a T1 school.

There is no groan loud enough