Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

RedTeam posted:

Ziro is awesome, but... Sy Snootles? That song and dance ohrwurm has scared me for life. :ohdear:

Which one, Lapti Nek or Jedi Rocks?

(Not to derail, but thank you for making me find out that "Ohrwurm" is used as a loanword in English. :dance: For some reason that made my night.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

On the recommendation of this thread, I finally started reading the second X-Wing book. I'm only a few chapters in, but already I'm reminded of why I really enjoy Star Wars. It's been a long while.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just started reading this again and it strikes me that the author was a really nice guy for including bit characters from so many of the books that preceeded it, even if they were poo poo like The Crystal Star, and doing it really unobtrusively.

Yes. It's always fun re-reading Star Wars books, keeping in mind the publishing chronology of the titles, and not the in-universe chronology. Crystal Star was absolute poo poo, yet we get to see Xaverri fleshed out quite a bit. The author (she :eng101:) even interlude'd in the original Han Solo trilogy.

mojo1701a posted:

On the recommendation of this thread, I finally started reading the second X-Wing book. I'm only a few chapters in, but already I'm reminded of why I really enjoy Star Wars. It's been a long while.

drat. Wish I could re-read the X-Wing series for the first time again. Enjoy! You're definitely in for a treat with Wedge's Gamble.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Gays in Star Wars? Get a load of that codpiece.
Get a load of the Neil Patrick Harris.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For a long time I really hated the NJO. A few years ago I started to change. Part of it was that this was after Dark Nest and LOTF started and so anything would look good in comparison, but I think I also just decided to get over the fact that Chewie and Anakin died. Not to mention I hadn't read the later books in the series and was really impressed by Destiny's Way, Traitor and TUF. Although reading Vector Prime again a few years ago, I liked it a lot more than I remember. The scenes on the research planet are better survival horror than Death Troopers was by far.

Another thing that helped me get more into the NJO and accept the Yuuzhan Vong was the realization that it's basically an alien invasion story adapted to a universe where aliens are common. Reading the NJO with that perspective helped me accept the Vong's difference more.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Why is it that Greedo is the only character in Star Wars to be shot with a blaster and be completely burnt to a crisp?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Too much hair spray.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I really wonder why they didn't do an "Infinities" story for the prequels. They have way more what-if? material to work with.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was brought up once on the Dark Horse forums - I think it was due to the sales of the original Infinities not being high enough to justify doing it for the prequels.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

It was brought up once on the Dark Horse forums - I think it was due to the sales of the original Infinities not being high enough to justify doing it for the prequels.

Quite honestly, it was probably the White Vader that killed it off.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Possible Prequel Infinites ideas I just came up with:
1. What if the prequels were written by someone competent?
2. What if the prequels had good actors?
3. What if the prequels weren't directed by someone still in their right mind?
4. What if Gungans didn't exist?

Etc etc

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Possible Prequel Infinites ideas I just came up with:
2. What if the prequels had good actors?

There's only two bad actors in the prequels: Jake Loyd and Hayden Christensen

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hayden Christensen isn't bad. He wont ever be an academy award nominee but to call him "bad" is being harsh, he was like everyone else being forced to work in a situation where he couldnt see the characters he was talking to or the environments he was in, and was given roles out of his element.

I'll agree on Jake Lloyd though.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I can't disagree that they all had truly terrible material to work with, but I really do think Hayden did a bad job, especially with AotC. I'm willing to believe that he was phoning it in, or that the monotone was what he actually imagined the character to be/what George told him to be), but I don't think these excuse what was at the end of it all a pretty bad performance.

Having said that the 'I killed them...' scene was pretty well done. Just a shame that everything else in it was horrible.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Which one, Lapti Nek or Jedi Rocks?

(Not to derail, but thank you for making me find out that "Ohrwurm" is used as a loanword in English. :dance: For some reason that made my night.)

Ha, no problem :hfive:

Most definitely Jedi Rocks. :psyboom:

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Hayden might not have been on par with a lot of the other, normally excellent actors, but a lot of it was the script. There's one piece of physical acting in AotC I thought was pretty accurate and pretty drat funny. When Padme pulls her hand a away on the terrace, he just gets this great "WTF did i do?" confused look on his face any 18 year old would have.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
When I was younger I was pretty spergy rear end critical of the guy but in retrospect when you think about it most of the actors in the prequal trilogy did their best.

It is hard to act when a tubby plaid wearing fat dude with a beard is gesturing at you from his directors screen to act against using nothing but a empty green screen set with another actor you've barely had time to know.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Apologists! Natalie and Ewan managed to be in the same lovely scenes and pulled it off.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

TheBigBad posted:

Apologists! Natalie and Ewan managed to be in the same lovely scenes and pulled it off.

Let's not get carried away here. They both sucked too, not that I'm blaming them.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

SeanBeansShako posted:

When I was younger I was pretty spergy rear end critical of the guy but in retrospect when you think about it most of the actors in the prequal trilogy did their best.

It is hard to act when a tubby plaid wearing fat dude with a beard is gesturing at you from his directors screen to act against using nothing but a empty green screen set with another actor you've barely had time to know.

You forgot the part where the extent of his advice after takes is to "Do it again, except better this time." I get the feeling that the "acting" in the prequels was a direct result of the actors getting fed up with Lucas' "directing" style.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

TheBigBad posted:

I'm sorry. I'm really quite bad at internet sarcasm. Did you mean what you said there? I can't think of a scene that was successfully pulled off by either of those two. Obi-wan had a few that might have been salvageable with a few rewrites, but Padme hardly even counted as a character. I don't fault Portman for that. Despite all the boring politics on screen she never really took any sort of substantive political action, and there just wasn't any believable way for her to fall in love with Anankin as he was written.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Astribulus posted:

I'm sorry. I'm really quite bad at internet sarcasm. Did you mean what you said there? I can't think of a scene that was successfully pulled off by either of those two. Obi-wan had a few that might have been salvageable with a few rewrites, but Padme hardly even counted as a character. I don't fault Portman for that. Despite all the boring politics on screen she never really took any sort of substantive political action, and there just wasn't any believable way for her to fall in love with Anankin as he was written.

"You were the chosen one!" was pretty good. But maybe that's because everything else sucked.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Pope Mobile posted:

"You were the chosen one!" was pretty good. But maybe that's because everything else sucked.

drat it, Ewan! How many times do I have to tell you, just say the lines and we'll add the emotion in post!

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2011

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Pope Mobile posted:

Taken in isolation, that line and its delivery work well. Taken in the context of a dismembered Anakin slowly scooting back into the lava while his self-proclaimed "brother" does nothing to help, it loses some impact in my opinion. That exchange would have worked better near the end of the duel proper with Obi-wan's plea of "I loved you" being countered by a furious assault taking Anakin over a cliff towards the fire. It's cliched, I know, but it would give Obi-wan a reason to leave without being able to either save or finish his former student.

Of course, I object to the whole concept of the vague, oracular prophecy of the chosen one in Star Wars, so that doesn't help the line either.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Always thought the Mustsfar or whatever fight shout have ended with Obi-Wan hitting Anakin with the surprise Force shove Maul knocked him into the tube with at the end of TPM. But that would be a story connection, not just CGIing a character in because he sells figures.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

KaosFactor posted:

Always thought the Mustsfar or whatever fight shout have ended with Obi-Wan hitting Anakin with the surprise Force shove Maul knocked him into the tube with at the end of TPM. But that would be a story connection, not just CGIing a character in because he sells figures.

This would have ruled. It would have granted the scene a lot more gravitas and provided the whole thing about Anakin being killed by Arrogance a lot better than "I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND". It would have said so much in one really slight change. Welp.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

"I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND".

Next time I watch the films, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for any examples where someone loses while having the high ground.

Why? Good question.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

RedTeam posted:

Next time I watch the films, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for any examples where someone loses while having the high ground.

Why? Good question.

Darth Maul.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Isn't this a pretty racist speciesist thing for a princess to say?

Chewie gets such a weird treatment in the OT. Most of the time he's treated like a real person, and then all of a sudden someone scratches him behind the ear or some poo poo. I don't know, it just bothers me. :wookie:

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
For more information on the types of carpet in the Star Wars universe, see the wookiepedia article:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carpet

Murphys Law posted:

Darth Maul.
This calls the whole scene into question. :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Isn't this a pretty racist speciesist thing for a princess to say?

Chewie gets such a weird treatment in the OT. Most of the time he's treated like a real person, and then all of a sudden someone scratches him behind the ear or some poo poo. I don't know, it just bothers me. :wookie:

That follows pretty naturally when you consider they've been ripping on each other for the last 20 minutes.... e.g. "I take orders from only one person, ME" "it's a wonder you're still alive"

I don't think Chewie's ever been scratched behind the ears in the OT.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

What always bothered me is how Luke is training on Dagobah and learning to see the future. He freaks out about how his friends are in trouble and has to go run to Bespin to save them. Luke even says 'BUT HAN AND LEIA WILL DIE IF I DONT!'

Basically, he was very concerned with his two human friends safety. What about Chewie? Not going out of your way to save C3P0 is one thing, as its pretty much well established that even the good guys pretty much see droids as machines, but this is his flesh and blood friend, one who he has gone through hell and back with.

"Filthy Xenos"
- Luke Skywalker

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

RedTeam posted:

For more information on the types of carpet in the Star Wars universe, see the wookiepedia article:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carpet

This calls the whole scene into question. :colbert:

I'll admit it, I clicked it because I didn't figure it existed.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Ghost Town Perv posted:

I'll admit it, I clicked it because I didn't figure it existed.

I know the feeling. Wookiepedia never ceases to amaze.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

RedTeam posted:

I know the feeling. Wookiepedia never ceases to amaze.

I am unironically calling them loving nerds.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RedTeam posted:

Why? Good question.

When Luke is on the railings above Vader in the throne room?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

that awful man posted:

Why is it that Greedo is the only character in Star Wars to be shot with a blaster and be completely burnt to a crisp?
I like to think Uncle Own and Aunt Beru and their farm just got hosed down by a squad's worth of blasters on full auto.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

RedTeam posted:

The stormtroopers who shoot at Luke and Leia when they're stuck on the disabled bridge over that chasm on the Death Star.

T-1000 posted:

I like to think Uncle Own and Aunt Beru and their farm just got hosed down by a squad's worth of blasters on full auto.

Forgot about that, but then again it happens offscreen so we don't know if blasters or thermal detonators were used.

edit: Forgot that Attack of the Clones added flamethrowers to the list of canonical Star Wars weapons.

that awful man fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 11, 2011

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Well, my regularly scheduled re-readthrough of Wrath Squadron has been pre-empted by the arrival of my copy of Allegiance.

Let's hope it's good, I'm a Zahn junkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

that awful man posted:

The stormtroopers who shoot at Luke and Leia when they're stuck on the disabled bridge over that chasm on the Death Star.

They don't win that fight, they escape. Plus they were being herded back to the Falcon to reveal the location of the Rebel Base.