Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, look at me, I painted some things:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Not much to say about BT given their color scheme--but I think it turned out all right for my first squad. Any suggestions (besides "get a better brush," because I already know that one) are welcome, especially w/r/t highlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^^^
Those are pretty boss, by the way.

Fix posted:

Wait. You're... Canadian?

By blood and relation, yes, but I'm sure my passport says I'm American. I was more hi-fiving Goons helping Goons and whatnot.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Simple Green strips Army Painter spray well, if you were curious. Remember, when using Simple Green to strip paint, scrub the model thoroughly with an old toothbrush or something, but do not rinse it with water. The water makes the paint stick to the plastic again a bit, not completely, but enough to be annoying. Try to scrub off as much as you can before you rinse it under the faucet. I fail at this consistently (I'm OCD about specks of paint and Simple Green flying around everywhere while I clean it) and have to double soak most of my strip jobs. Yes I use goggles and poo poo. Luckily I'm patient about that thing. My AoBR Slugga Boyz and a lone Ultramarine have been sitting in Simple Green since, oh, a couple months after AoBR came out?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Phyresis posted:

Simple Green strips Army Painter spray well, if you were curious. Remember, when using Simple Green to strip paint, scrub the model thoroughly with an old toothbrush or something, but do not rinse it with water. The water makes the paint stick to the plastic again a bit, not completely, but enough to be annoying. Try to scrub off as much as you can before you rinse it under the faucet. I fail at this consistently (I'm OCD about specks of paint and Simple Green flying around everywhere while I clean it) and have to double soak most of my strip jobs. Yes I use goggles and poo poo. Luckily I'm patient about that thing. My AoBR Slugga Boyz and a lone Ultramarine have been sitting in Simple Green since, oh, a couple months after AoBR came out?

anyone ever tried an ultrasonic cleaner for this? i'm tempted to pick one up for other reasons, and i figure it'll do metal mans nicely, but what about the plastic ones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There was someone who did a trip report on their ultrasonic cleaner, I forget who ir was or I would be able to dredge up the posts. They had very good results on both metal and plastic pieces, and it seems like there is no risk of damage to the parts. If I recall, it also did a good job of weakening glued parts and greenstuff.

It prompted me to look into getting one, but I haven't actually done so yet (I keep spending money on more tiny men instead) One of the real obstacles is that most cleaners are made for jewelry, earrings, rings, etc. so finding one that will fit a land raider hull or something that size is more of a challenge. There are some models that are also touted as DVD cleaners, which is a good place to start, but the larger models are also more expensive.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Frobbe posted:

anyone ever tried an ultrasonic cleaner for this? i'm tempted to pick one up for other reasons, and i figure it'll do metal mans nicely, but what about the plastic ones.

Rapey Joe has posted about using a sonic bath before, by all accounts they seem to be a pretty awesome investment if you see yourself stripping a lot of paint

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i can can get one that'd fit a sideways rhino hull for relatively cheap, and of course there's always https://www.dealextreme.com for larger versions.

i will investigate further!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Phyresis posted:

God drat, this. I've been scrubbing old necrons, and the second I put those things under water all the paint remnants in the crags turn to rubber cement. You can pick and pick and pick at them, but they're not coming out.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PaintVagrant:

I seem to remember some time ago, you bought a can of Army Painter silver and used it to do a Grey Knights squad, I think terms. Do you still have pics of those, by any chance? What process did you use to paint them, if you don't mind me asking? I'm torn between silver and grey.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Gonna ask here as well, but does anyone have extra Sanguinary Guard chest pieces? There's one I'm looking for in particular, with the little tabard at the bottom.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Phyresis posted:

PaintVagrant:

I seem to remember some time ago, you bought a can of Army Painter silver and used it to do a Grey Knights squad, I think terms. Do you still have pics of those, by any chance? What process did you use to paint them, if you don't mind me asking? I'm torn between silver and grey.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/grey%20knights/

Army painter silver, matte spray, thinned p3 armor wash. Its kind of a bitch, and army painter sprays tend to skunk, so Im not sure Id recommend it. If you can figure out how to airbrush silver id do that instead.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PaintVagrant posted:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/grey%20knights/

Army painter silver, matte spray, thinned p3 armor wash. Its kind of a bitch, and army painter sprays tend to skunk, so Im not sure Id recommend it. If you can figure out how to airbrush silver id do that instead.

Hurf durf, dunno what I was thinking. This link is on the middle of my bookmarks toolbar, ffs: http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/

Obviously the better solution. I haven't been airbrushing cause of this poo poo winter.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

Hurf durf, dunno what I was thinking. This link is on the middle of my bookmarks toolbar, ffs: http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/

Obviously the better solution. I haven't been airbrushing cause of this poo poo winter.

Absolutely wonderful product. I've been using it for my strange/awesome metallic green Salamanders scheme inspired by Fix's craziness. Goes on butter smooth, but has good tooth itself in which to apply paint and wash over it. The website does mention that you don't need to use primer with this stuff, but I just can't imagine not priming before painting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

God I love the smell of Simple Green. It smells like... victory. Victory over someone else's lovely paint job.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Fix posted:

God I love the smell of Simple Green. It smells like... victory. Victory over someone else's lovely paint job.

Are you kidding? I can't stand the smell of Simple Green anymore. After cleaning the secondhand models for my July oath it took days for the smell to leave my skin, and SM47 made me wash the sheets eveyr day because the lingering scent of it kept transferring to our bed (even after twice daily showers and almost a week's time.)

That poo poo is olfactory herpes- you never get rid of it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

"HAMBURGERS? Hamburgers are poo poo! I once ate SIXTY ONE hamburgers in one sitting, and let me tell you... huh... bud... huh... let me tell you, I never want to see a hamburger again!"

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Guess he bought himself a light tent for his birthday. This guy. No more lovely cellphone model pics for me. Check out my hard-drinking wasteland doctor.

I still need to play around with it though, the reds are way, way to bright so far. That middle streak on his apron is almost black on the model.

Sing Avoca!
Feb 26, 2008

LintMan posted:

I seem to do most of my painting late at night. Here is my latest miniatures. British 3.7" Heavy Anti-Aircraft guns. These baby's didn't get much use and only got to shoot at ground targets when they Germans broke through. Was thinking of using them in a French Early war Reservist list and for a US Para list for Market Garden.

In game terms they are like an 88mm guns (actually 94mm) in all the stats except for no gun shield. The crew were not trained in front line combat so are only ever Confident Trained.

This is a little back but I really like these. For what game do you use them? They look smooth.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Flames of war.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

Plasti-Kote 'Aluminum' spray paint goes on smooth and has amazing coverage, and it's pretty cheap.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Silhouette posted:

Plasti-Kote 'Aluminum' spray paint goes on smooth and has amazing coverage, and it's pretty cheap.

Seconded. FYI sushi, this is what I used on those Grey Knights.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I'm happy with my aluminum airbrush paint for now, but I do wonder how the two finishes would compare.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Decided to paint Pedro to add to our club's raffle.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NecronSchmecron posted:

Very nice job indeed! :)

I haven't gotten around to painting any new stuff yet, so here's some Dark Elf Witch Elves, a Dark Elf sorceress, and a Reaper minis Elf Thief I painted around somewhere around 2008-2009.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NecronSchmecron posted:

Liking that highlighting. :) That's zenith highlighting, right?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bhsman posted:

Liking that highlighting. :) That's zenith highlighting, right?

Um... Zenith highlighting, sure... I knew what that was called the whole time. :ninja:'

I call it line highlighting but switched it up a little for the banner.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NecronSchmecron posted:

Um... Zenith highlighting, sure... I knew what that was called the whole time. :ninja:'

I call it line highlighting but switched it up a little for the banner.

Zenith, line, same difference; I had been looking up tips for painting black for my Deathwatch character(s) and one in particular kept referencing 'zenith' highlighting. Which, in fact, may be different if you think about it: basically line highlighting that goes even thinner. Probably works better with black.

VVV Oh well OK then :shobon:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 10, 2011

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Zenith highlighting is light from above, typically with heavy cast shadows where the light doesnt hit.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Typically people suggesting it are actually suggesting multiple undercoats, priming black completely and then white from directly above so that you can take advantage of a glazing method for automatic easy shading.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

bhsman posted:

Zenith, line, same difference

:psyboom:

You've been eating the paint again!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

Zenith highlighting is light from above, typically with heavy cast shadows where the light doesnt hit.

So yeah, this is more or less what I'm going for here, but I still shade mostly with washes as opposed to building from black.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

:psyboom:

You've been eating the paint again!

N-no I hav-:barf:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

Lookin good, duder. I still need to paint the Pedro model I've had sitting around for the last two and a half years.

Today I finally built an Ogryn successfully. After an hour of drilling through the densest pewter I've ever seen, I've got blisters on my thumb and forefinger. At this rate, I might have them built by the time the next Oath thread starts! Also, gently caress those little spindly bits on the back porch of the Basilisk. Those little tiny rods that don't fit quite right. You know what I mean.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PaintVagrant posted:

You've done zenithial highlighting with an airbrush before right? Do you have any tips/know of good tutorials? I'm not really having good results with my Lamenters.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

SRM posted:

Today I finally built an Ogryn successfully. After an hour of drilling through the densest pewter I've ever seen, I've got blisters on my thumb and forefinger. At this rate, I might have them built by the time the next Oath thread starts! Also, gently caress those little spindly bits on the back porch of the Basilisk. Those little tiny rods that don't fit quite right. You know what I mean.

I got around the spindly rail problem by building some Sculpy sandbags for mine (Irongob ingredient worked out well.) They're half glued to the platform, half glued to the sandbag wall.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

Very nice job indeed! :)

I haven't gotten around to painting any new stuff yet, so here's some Dark Elf Witch Elves, a Dark Elf sorceress, and a Reaper minis Elf Thief I painted around somewhere around 2008-2009.

Take a piece of paper and put it in front of your flash, it will soften that killer light you got going on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Asmodai_00 posted:

Take a piece of paper and put it in front of your flash, it will soften that killer light you got going on.

Yeah, those were right around when I was just starting to mess around with photographic techniques, just getting pics without worrying about the results too much. Later on I started using two desk lamps and no flash with a lot better results (though I didn't get around to re-photographing those particular figures).

Probably when I get back into painting seriously, I'll get a lightbox put together as well, for better photos.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You've done zenithial highlighting with an airbrush before right? Do you have any tips/know of good tutorials? I'm not really having good results with my Lamenters.

Everything you need to know about more advanced painting techniques is right here

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo, what a great site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fix posted:

Holy poo poo, what a great site.

Seconding this, there's a wealth of great info on that site.

• Locked thread