Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

That's only because you're using the 10 'free' heatsinks that come with the engine.

Right, because you always get those (well, you can design an ICE mech but those are real rarities). And since you always get free heat dissipation, the scale is always weighted towards energy weapons which have heat as their main drawback.

quote:

Put it another way: say you have 20 tons to play with.

You could mount 2 standard PPCs and 6 medium lasers. The only thing you lose is crit-seeking ability at long range (which you'll lose after 10 shots anyway): otherwise, you'd match and surpass the average performance of LBX autocannon. No ammo dependency, no worries of a freak crit taking out half your firepower. 2 ERLL and 8 mediums with a couple heat sinks would allow you to outrange the opposition and overwhelm him at close range, if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Affi posted:

What it really comes down to though is that any mech with ammunition is worthless if you factor in flavour. Battles that last for days?

The cost efficiency of using lasers compared to LRMS and Autocannons is hilarious. You never run out of ammunition.

Counterpoint: Try making an Inner Sphere 'Mech that can continuously fire 4 ERPPCs without overheating.

Using the basic construction rules, it's literally impossible. You can, however, build 'Mechs with the same damage output (i.e. 40 points of damage) or greater at long range using a mix of ballistics and energy weapons.

Space constraints due to the massive size of Inner Sphere Double heatsinks is a very real reason to use ballistics.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
As a Inner Sphere house lord I would never comission a mech with ballistic weapons, imagine how much money you would save never having to purchase ammunition? After a few years of warfare you'd be able to buy loads more energybased mechs for the money saved.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

What it really comes down to though is that any mech with ammunition is worthless if you factor in flavour. Battles that last for days?

The cost efficiency of using lasers compared to LRMS and Autocannons is hilarious. You never run out of ammunition.

From an game-mechanical perspective, the ammunition weapons would be a lot more competitive if anyone ever used availability and monetary prices. Working AC/5 now is a lot better than PPC ten weeks from today. Some of the weapons (PPC comes to mind) are supposed to be real rarities. This would create interesting dilemmas: would you rather buy a PPC or a 25-ton tank?

If you factor in flavour, some of the stock designs become monsters. Shadow Hawk is probably the best example. On tabletop it's undergunned, has a weird movement profile (5/8/3) and has no niche where something else couldn't perform better. But let's consider what it could do as a guerrilla fighter let loose to wreak havoc.

It can carry Thunder and Swarm ammo for LRM, meaning no supply convoys or ammo dumps are safe. You can fit Inferno ammunition for the SRM launcher, meaning flash fires in the fields, forests and everywhere else that can catch fire. It has exactly one energy weapon, meaning that as long as the unit still runs it's a threat to unarmed targets. Even the strange movement profile doesn't matter as much since real life doesn't run in 10-second turns. One mech with a dedicated pilot, map with targets and some imagination can cause an ungodly amount of terror and trouble.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hob_Gadling posted:

It can carry Thunder and Swarm ammo for LRM, meaning no supply convoys or ammo dumps are safe. You can fit Inferno ammunition for the SRM launcher, meaning flash fires in the fields, forests and everywhere else that can catch fire. It has exactly one energy weapon, meaning that as long as the unit still runs it's a threat to unarmed targets. Even the strange movement profile doesn't matter as much since real life doesn't run in 10-second turns. One mech with a dedicated pilot, map with targets and some imagination can cause an ungodly amount of terror and trouble.

Exactly, and that mech has only one weapon with infinite ammunition.
Cost efficiency. Lasers can start brushfires too.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Affi posted:

This point's another one of those bits where the fluff and the mechanics are in ridiculous conflict.

A turn of combat lasts (if my memory's right) 10 seconds. Your average mech with an ammo-based weapon has one, maybe two tons of ammo for it. An Archer? Two minutes of sustained fire. Jagermech? Out in three. Hunchback? Can't even last two minutes before running dry. Nobody in their right mind would field a weapon that's got so little longevity in battles that last for hours, let alone days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A very important thing abotu the LBX class ACs is the amount of chances to roll headshots or TAC. There are very few energy weapons which can kill a pilot without breaking the armour on the location *without* a TAC, but an LBX will have a good chance of it.

Fluffwise... Battletech is loving stupid.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
WW2 fighters commonly went into the air with enough ammo for under a minutes sustained firing. I think the Spitfire originally only carried about 15 seconds worth of machine gun rounds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

goatface posted:

WW2 fighters commonly went into the air with enough ammo for under a minutes sustained firing. I think the Spitfire originally only carried about 15 seconds worth of machine gun rounds.
Yeah but a glancing hit by one bullet was enough to gently caress you.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
this is why the mechanics for ballistics in mechwarrior video games are so skewed.

really Gauss is the exception but most of the IS standards like the AC 5 and the AC 10 are completely underpowered or don't have enough ammo to make a difference in most of the video games.

Of course this maybe a model of real life. Airplanes for example can only really fire in short bursts a burst of minutes would completely deplete their ammo, and also with automatic weapons on vehicles. This is what I suppose the AC is trying to represent since they do have "primitive" weapons which are supposed to be what we have today scaled up, while ACs are supposed to be like automatic assault cannons. Only in this respect they would be shockingly realistic.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Heavy_Rifle

MW4 did make the lbxs and the Ac10's pretty well in the patch, but they still are rather underpowered compared to just a few large lasers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, the A-10 can dump the entire ammo load of it's main gun in ~18 seconds (if memory serves), but with aircraft it is assumed that you're going to only be firing in short bursts and that you'll end up back at base to refuel and rearm in fairly short order, or be shot down.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Not really unless it was a 20mm+ autocannon firing HE shells. And those commonly had even less ammo.

Pretty much every modern AFV or plane only has ammo for a few minutes (at best) of sustained fire. Thing is that you aren't ever going to expend ammo at such a rate during a real combat situation.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

goatface posted:

It made sense then, though. You only needed to hit with a round or two to seriously damage your opponent. Mechs, though, need to be hit with significant volumes of sustained fire to have any real effect, barring lucky TACs or headshots with a big gun.

PajamaSutra
Dec 15, 2008

"Present my compliments to General Fitz Lee and tell him to go to hell."

Tempest_56 posted:

This point's another one of those bits where the fluff and the mechanics are in ridiculous conflict.

A turn of combat lasts (if my memory's right) 10 seconds. Your average mech with an ammo-based weapon has one, maybe two tons of ammo for it. An Archer? Two minutes of sustained fire. Jagermech? Out in three. Hunchback? Can't even last two minutes before running dry. Nobody in their right mind would field a weapon that's got so little longevity in battles that last for hours, let alone days.

Having played some fairly large games (36 vs. 36), it's been my experience that both forces have usually bludgeoned themselves out of existence long before the two minute mark passes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arquinsiel posted:

....by that you mean 4,500 right? Cause that's how many rounds it took a spitfire to down a German bomber.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PajamaSutra posted:

Having played some fairly large games (36 vs. 36), it's been my experience that both forces have usually bludgeoned themselves out of existence long before the two minute mark passes.

Which is another point of fluff that doesn't mesh with actual play.

What I'm trying to say is: factoring in the fluff on the effectiveness of equipment on the board is silly, because the two are laughably opposed to each other in so many ways that there's no reconciling it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
One thing we can say about Mechs is that they appear to have developed better armour than they have weapons. A modern main battle tank is probably hosed if it gets hit once by the main gun of an enemy, mechs take multiple hits from primary weapons and keep going. Someone lost an arms race there.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
for reference once you put a mech as a walking tank it kinda falters

the modern M1A1 is kinda killed in one shot normally but carries FORTY TWO cannon rounds and 900 rounds for machine guns (which is only really a few minutes of sustained fire)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1A1_Abrams

either way, mechs seem to act more like heavily armored aircraft seemed to be geared toward 1 mission then a resupply, and to kill the enemy within the first few minutes.

PajamaSutra
Dec 15, 2008

"Present my compliments to General Fitz Lee and tell him to go to hell."

bunnyofdoom posted:

....by that you mean 4,500 right? Cause that's how many rounds it took a spitfire to down a German bomber.

If so, it was a miracle that the RAF shot any down, since a Spitfire carried 2,400 rounds for its eight guns. If you mean number of bullets expended per German bomber brought down during the Battle of Britain, color me surprised; I would have thought it'd be a much higher number.

Tempest_56 posted:

What I'm trying to say is: factoring in the fluff on the effectiveness of equipment on the board is silly, because the two are laughably opposed to each other in so many ways that there's no reconciling it.

Yes, it's best not to think about it too much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PajamaSutra posted:

If so, it was a miracle that the RAF shot any down, since a Spitfire carried 2,400 rounds for its eight guns. If you mean number of bullets expended per German bomber brought down during the Battle of Britain, color me surprised; I would have thought it'd be a much higher number.

Yes, it's best not to think about it too much.

I grabbed that number from Wiki.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magni posted:

Not really unless it was a 20mm+ autocannon firing HE shells. And those commonly had even less ammo.

Pretty much every modern AFV or plane only has ammo for a few minutes (at best) of sustained fire. Thing is that you aren't ever going to expend ammo at such a rate during a real combat situation.
Yup, which is why you never take the bad shots with anything other than energy weapons. Even so, a .303 round will do horrible horrible things if it hits the cockpit, control cable, fuel tank, actuator, propellor etc.

bunnyofdoom posted:

By this logic we should be only using mech-scale weapons against dropships and larger. It *does* take a fuckton of AC20 to significantly damage either. IIRC a Union can take five AC20 hits to the same location before it starts to take internal damage.

Also the "Rifle" guns are bullshit. They do nine damage but can't damage mechs or vehicles with BAR of 8+ (IE: everything but infantry....). It's a loving pisstake weapon invented to shut people up about the M1A2 Abrahms and the 120 mil Rheinmetall.

PajamaSutra posted:

It's an accurate number, but bear in mind that the guns are zeroed at a particular location and fire eight rounds per trigger pull with no way of judging range other than watching where the tracers intersect or sheer making poo poo up guesses. If you look at the rounds of ammunition expended per kill with regard to infantry the numbers are pretty similar.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Also the "Rifle" guns are bullshit. They do nine damage but can't damage mechs or vehicles with BAR of 8+ (IE: everything but infantry....). It's a loving pisstake weapon invented to shut people up about the M1A2 Abrahms and the 120 mil Rheinmetall.

Yeah it totally is, the Fluff is trying to save itself... isn't that a dark age development?

Yes it was released from a book very recently!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Experimental_Technical_Readout:_Corporations

it gets even stranger when the fluff says that an autocannon can be 30 mm to 203 mm.

a 30mm is an AC 2? :wth:
VVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 10, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Personally, I've always seen autocannons as being single-fire cannons like the main guns on modern MBTs. Frankly, unless the things are motherfucking Metal Storm weapons, there's no loving way in hell they're holding a "stream of explosive shells" on target long enough to do any damage whatsoever to any 'mech location.

I also assumed that frankly, the people of the Inner Sphere were idiots and co-opted the word "autocannon" because they've never seen a loving real autocannon and use it because the cannon automatically reloads itself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Personally, I've always seen autocannons as being single-fire cannons like the main guns on modern MBTs. Frankly, unless the things are motherfucking Metal Storm weapons, there's no loving way in hell they're holding a "stream of explosive shells" on target long enough to do any damage whatsoever to any 'mech location.

I also assumed that frankly, the people of the Inner Sphere were idiots and co-opted the word "autocannon" because they've never seen a loving real autocannon and use it because the cannon automatically reloads itself.
In Era Report: 3052 they explain that AC classes are defined by the amount of ammunition sent downrange in a specified time frame. Specifically:

Museum Technica posted:

...consider both weapons would to be "class 20" autocannons as they both fire 200 kilograms of ammunition in a 10-second period at an effective range of just under 300 meters.

Yeah.....

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arquinsiel posted:

In Era Report: 3052 they explain that AC classes are defined by the amount of ammunition sent downrange in a specified time frame. Specifically:

Yeah.....

If the tracking technology exists to keep an autocannon on target, pounding one facet of the target mech for ten seconds, factoring in the amazing recoil that mother's going to be generating, the fact that the target is bucking and moving, and the platform is also bucking and moving, then laser weapons should have about a -4 BTH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

If the tracking technology exists to keep an autocannon on target, pounding one facet of the target mech for ten seconds, factoring in the amazing recoil that mother's going to be generating, the fact that the target is bucking and moving, and the platform is also bucking and moving, then laser weapons should have about a -4 BTH.
:iiam:

Srsly... fukken Battletech.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 10, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Conversely, as Inner Sphere armour is ablative it might just be that despite only a small percentage of rounds from a 'rapid fire' auto-cannon hitting the target, that's enough to strip enough armour off to compare with a 'single large round' approach.

That would be obviously totally non functional when looking at traditional composite sloped armour, but none of the mech designs incorporate slopes or armor belts, so Armour Works Differently (TM)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
And what's the DEAL with the short range on all those guided missiles? :shepface:

Really, yeah, BTech is so utterly fuckadaisical when it comes to consistency with 'actual science' or 'its own fiction' that all the comparisons are completely pointless. They did what they did for game balance and fun; that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to.

I really like the word 'fuckadaisical'

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The important part about all this is seeing the Death commandos strip a few tons off the mechs before they call in the artillery hidden 7 maps away!

:black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Axe-man posted:

The important part about all this is seeing the Death commandos strip a few tons off the mechs before they call in the artillery hidden 7 maps away!

Y'know, we voted for you guys when you were playing.

I guess it just proves that Kell Hounds really are utterly without loyalty. :colbert:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

And what's the DEAL with the short range on all those guided missiles? :shepface:

Really, yeah, BTech is so utterly fuckadaisical when it comes to consistency with 'actual science' or 'its own fiction' that all the comparisons are completely pointless. They did what they did for game balance and fun; that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to.

I really like the word 'fuckadaisical'

I feel it's an appropriate time to quote Hodgson's law:

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes / And other science facts [la la la] / Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, / I should really just relax.'"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Polaron posted:

Y'know, we voted for you guys when you were playing.

I guess it just proves that Kell Hounds really are utterly without loyalty. :colbert:

You guys are gonna win, your the PCs nothing bad could ever go wrong to the PCs! :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Axe-man posted:

It takes the shells a turn per mapsheet to arrive. Chances are the artillery is either one map away or only going to nail you once you free the hostages.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Personally, I've always seen autocannons as being single-fire cannons like the main guns on modern MBTs.

Nope. An autocannon 'round' is actually a revolver-style cluster of five shots (thank you for spelling this out in great detail, stupid Gray Death Legion books). The autocannon spins its ammo up to firing speed, spits 'em out in half-a-second, then dumps the old shell casing and takes a half hour to load and spin up another 'round'.

Which is why rotary autocannons are silly, since they're caseless but jam like their mechanisms are polished with sand.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

It takes the shells a turn per mapsheet to arrive. Chances are the artillery is either one map away or only going to nail you once you free the hostages.

:ssh: they don't know that!

really I want them to be all :tinfoil: about the map like we were about the hussar.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Meanwhile...

:siren:There are only two days left on the Hell's Horses Totem Mech contest!:siren: Entries close Saturday evening at 5 PM EST. So if you'd like a shot at a free Forums Upgrade, hop to it!

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

Meanwhile...

:siren:There are only two days left on the Hell's Horses Totem Mech contest!:siren: Entries close Saturday evening at 5 PM EST. So if you'd like a shot at a free Forums Upgrade, hop to it!

Have your "Artiebitches" come up with something fun yet?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Arquinsiel posted:

My personal favoured variant has ERPPC, 4 ERML, SRM6, 2MG, 2MedPulse(r). The rear lasers being pulses ends up being hillariously successful against light-medium backstabbers, negating the secondary target/rear arc penalties pretty well while the arms do some punchin' up front.

I've been sticking to L1 tech in my discussions - no need to confuse the newbies with the full range of available weapons. And Inner Sphere medium pulses are terrible anti-backstab weapons - the pulse bonus is negated by the fact that the enemy is likely to engage you at three hexes or more. Assuming you're playing in an era where they are available, ERMLs are much better choices.

PajamaSutra posted:

We spent a summer in high school doing a full on 4th Succession War planetary invasion game, and what I found was that after the first few fights, we all got a lot better at knowing when to break off and preserve forces. As the massively outnumbered Capellan defenders, if I'd stayed and fought to the end in every fight I would have lost quite quickly.

As long as you retain sufficient force to severely punish an enemy for coming after you, disengaging is generally possible. (Having conventional forces available to sacrifice while your 'mechs pull back, or having sufficient aerospace assets to pound them if they attempt to pursue can be very helpful.)

More than anything else, it depends on the players - fighting a successful campaign game is very different from one off scenarios, and takes some adapting to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kenlon posted:

I've been sticking to L1 tech in my discussions - no need to confuse the newbies with the full range of available weapons. And Inner Sphere medium pulses are terrible anti-backstab weapons - the pulse bonus is negated by the fact that the enemy is likely to engage you at three hexes or more. Assuming you're playing in an era where they are available, ERMLs are much better choices.
I find them to work well for the large mechs. Generally people I get backstabed by try to get right in behind me so they can kick the full body table if I go down, the medium-pulses tend to make them suffer for the effort at least a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PTN, did you get my moves? I though I sent em off last night.

• Locked thread