Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Counterpoint: No-one will want to steal it

Counter-counterpoint: the 'Pentax' logo should do that just fine

(I kid, I kid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is getting pretty far away from photography, but I had some fun tonight playing with an image-to-sound converter. http://www.skyfell.org/soundofanimage.html
It interprets RGB pixel values as MIDI notes, which can then be mapped to different instruments and used in audio synthesis programs.

An hour or so of screwing around turned one of my old urbex pictures:

Counters

into this audio:

This is cool as gently caress.

edit:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Bright images make really horribly high-pitched tones. Colorful images create a lot of difference between the three main instrument channels, getting more chaotic with more color differences and saturation.
A single K-Rock photo would produce a new Sun Ra album

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 10, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Helmacron posted:

I printed off a photo at 1x2m solely so the only place I can unroll it to show women is their beds.
How the gently caress are you going to get on there if the print's in the way?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

evil_bunnY posted:

How the gently caress are you going to get on there if the print's in the way?

Yeah it works like poo poo, I've shown it to two chicks and one of them I'd slept with three years ago and we're just good friends now and the other chick was my best friend's sister.

It's loving cool, though, go fork out that money and get the biggest print possible. Totally worth it. I signed the tube it's in and now it's like I own a me original.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

pwn posted:

This is cool as gently caress.

Thank ye.
I just finished trying out the AudioPaint program. Instead of midi notes like the previous thing used, this one treats each row of pixels as an oscillator, building up sound through additive synthesis. I tossed in this picture I took of the inside of a lava tube:

And after tweaking the frequency ranges a bit, it returned this as audio:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

A5H posted:

What's so great about it then?

First, you have to really like the 35mm fov. A lot. It's not an interchangeable lens. If you do, then: It's the smallest camera with a superb aps-c sensor AND a good optical viewfinder that is built in. Add on top really nice build quality, all manual controls, and a good design.

I wish I took more photos, but right now my camera, while I love the quality, is far too large and bulky to carry often. I'm not willing to sacrifice quality to go with a digital point/shoot, nor sacrifice a viewfinder to go with a nex (not that it has an autofocusing fast 35mm lens anyway), and too impatient to go with film.

It either really excites you, or it doesn't. The same way video on the newer DSLRs does literally nothing for me, this camera probably isn't interesting to a lot of people.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

VomitOnLino posted:

PIMM if you are interested in obtaining a japanese model, why dont you shoot me a mail if your local dealer wont work out. I am sure we can arrange something. Mail is: manuel.der.kater at geemeru dot com.

lol, do you mean gmail ? I tried sending to geemeru before I "got it" and it bounced back. :-)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

psylent posted:

I'm going to Japan in late March, I have no need for an X100 but maaaaaaan do I want one. I'm putting any cash I earn from photography aside to pay for a 5D MK 2 and I'm at the $1000 mark right now. That cash could easily disappear.
You, too -- feel free to hit me up when/before you get there. Know a nice place or two..
Mail address is on the previous page.

poopinmymouth posted:

lol, do you mean gmail ? I tried sending to geemeru before I "got it" and it bounced back. :-)
Yup. That's what I meant. Sorry I was feeling like being funny today. :)
Glad you made it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Thank ye.
I just finished trying out the AudioPaint program. Instead of midi notes like the previous thing used, this one treats each row of pixels as an oscillator, building up sound through additive synthesis. I tossed in this picture I took of the inside of a lava tube:

And after tweaking the frequency ranges a bit, it returned this as audio:

It's killing me how nicely these match up with the mood of the source photo.

Would you please run this one through your program? I want to do it myself but that program is only for Mac. I want to hear the chaotic, high-pitched tones

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

pwn posted:

It's killing me how nicely these match up with the mood of the source photo.

Would you please run this one through your program? I want to do it myself but that program is only for Mac. I want to hear the chaotic, high-pitched tones

Oh god. Sure, I'll try that one with the midi thing once I'm back on a mac.
The MIDI one was mac only, but I used the PC one for my second attempt. Here's the link for the PC program: http://www.nicolasfournel.com/audiopaint.htm

That Rockwell image might actually sound pretty cool in Audiopaint, since it maps frequency vertically and time horizontally. The bright signs in the middle of the image should register as loud mid-frequency bursts blaring out from the full-spectrum static created by all that blue. With the MIDI program (Sound of an Image), it'll probably sound like an absolute mess. I'll try it with synth claps and synth trumpets.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

First, you have to really like the 35mm fov. A lot. It's not an interchangeable lens. If you do, then: It's the smallest camera with a superb aps-c sensor AND a good optical viewfinder that is built in. Add on top really nice build quality, all manual controls, and a good design.

I wish I took more photos, but right now my camera, while I love the quality, is far too large and bulky to carry often. I'm not willing to sacrifice quality to go with a digital point/shoot, nor sacrifice a viewfinder to go with a nex (not that it has an autofocusing fast 35mm lens anyway), and too impatient to go with film.

It's a shame you aren't big on film (I figured you weren't because you do so much of your post in PS, and want a RAW file to work with), a Konica Hexar AF is basically the X100 of 35mm.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's a shame you aren't big on film (I figured you weren't because you do so much of your post in PS, and want a RAW file to work with), a Konica Hexar AF is basically the X100 of 35mm.

I don't shoot often enough to go through entire rolls quickly, and I have zero patience for development time, and color processing is ridiculously expensive here in Iceland. The hexar AF is indeed awesome, but yeah, I'm completely married to the digital workflow.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
pics or it didn't happen :colbert:

dakana posted:

A work D300, its battery grip, and the 17-35 2.8 smell like baby shampoo now. I shot the musical Evil Dead in a small studio theater, and there was fake blood everywhere. They said they go through about a gallon a night.

It was pretty funny.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I don't shoot often enough to go through entire rolls quickly, and I have zero patience for development time, and color processing is ridiculously expensive here in Iceland. The hexar AF is indeed awesome, but yeah, I'm completely married to the digital workflow.

You can roll your own mini-rolls with a bulk loader ;) I usually multi-task when I'm developing B&W, generally watch an episode of something on my computer, or chat.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can roll your own mini-rolls with a bulk loader ;) I usually multi-task when I'm developing B&W, generally watch an episode of something on my computer, or chat.

Or he could just get the X100 and be done with it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

HPL posted:

Or he could just get the X100 and be done with it.

Or do both!

I want an X100 more than any other digital camera on earth right now.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Or do both!

I want an X100 more than any other digital camera on earth right now.

I bought a film camera 6 months ago, and still haven't gone through an entire roll. I probably have OCD issues, but I need to feel "married" to a camera to really commit to using it, or I treat it like a novelty. I borrowed an s90 and since it was on loan, I didn't really feel any attachment to it.

That and the x100 looks like dynamic range and noise wise it will readily spank any color 35mm film out there, and come awfully close to B&W film too.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
For anybody who's interested, POYi judging is underway. There's already an internet shitstorm brewing over the feature picture story third place winner, "A Grunt's Life," being modified with iphone's hipstamatic. Should be interesting to see how that discussion unfolds, and of course how the rest of the judging pans out.

http://www.poyi.org/

(POYi is Pictures of the Year International, a photo contest sponsored by Mizzou, a top PJ school, focusing on photojournalism. Same vein as CPOY, but open to all working professionals.)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That X100 looks pretty slick, but for $1100, no way, especially since I already have a 35mm on my FX body.

I know, not the same thing, but I'll hold on to the $1100 and take the camera places.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
There's always the full frame M9 that can do RAW and has excellent sensor and optics...

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
At that price point they should have used real leather. :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Interrupting Moss posted:

That X100 looks pretty slick, but for $1100, no way, especially since I already have a 35mm on my FX body.

I know, not the same thing, but I'll hold on to the $1100 and take the camera places.

It's not a bad price considering that a mirrorless camera with a pancake lens would be somewhat comparable.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DaNzA posted:

There's always the full frame M9 that can do RAW and has excellent sensor and optics...

...but it's $7,000, for just the body.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

dakana posted:

...but it's $7,000, for just the body.

But think of all the :smug:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

i sold my first 2 photographs today guys :unsmith:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I bought a film camera 6 months ago, and still haven't gone through an entire roll. I probably have OCD issues, but I need to feel "married" to a camera to really commit to using it, or I treat it like a novelty. I borrowed an s90 and since it was on loan, I didn't really feel any attachment to it.

That and the x100 looks like dynamic range and noise wise it will readily spank any color 35mm film out there, and come awfully close to B&W film too.

I think I'm just a masochist to be honest. Not knowing if what you just shot is going to turn out can be agonising and there are about a billion reasons why it's a pain in the rear end or even stressful. But I just enjoy it, so there isn't really any point of you don't/wont. I'd say shooting film is more OCD than digital, at least I sure feel that way when I'm cleaning a freshly developed roll...

I'm dying to see how the X100 really performs.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
An APS-C sensor isn't going to turn out images that exceed 35mm C-41 in terms of latitude, or E-6 in terms of detail.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

A5H posted:

i sold my first 2 photographs today guys :unsmith:
:respek:

It's a good feeling.

After a very quiet start to the year I've had a bunch of enquiries and have booked two weddings for September. Yeeha!

Black JFK
Jul 18, 2003
Noooooo!
Shot my first roll of film ever today. For a photo 100 class that started mid January. Excited to develop it, but drat I hope the pace of the class picks up.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

An APS-C sensor isn't going to turn out images that exceed 35mm C-41 in terms of latitude, or E-6 in terms of detail.

Whoah, gear-penis from someone always talking about how it's about the photos and message? I must have said something that impugned film!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Interrupting Moss posted:

After seeing how much people have spent on gear in one of the other threads, I think this is kind of a silly argument. I already said that this has to tickle your fancy very specifically for it to make sense. I haven't bought any gear in 2 years now, I'm very well paid, and I currently have no second body or anything that weighs less than 1 kilo to take a photo with. I've tried the good current small cameras and none of them really impress me image quality wise.

If you like optical viewfinders, 35mm fov, and digital workflow, there isn't an equivalent camera at this weight and size.

An M9 with a decent 35mm lens is pushing 10k with a sensor that's barely on par with an original 5D and a tiny low res screen and no AF. Just not my cup of tea. Is there even a single M9 owner in the dorkroom?

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 11, 2011

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Some of you probably saw this linked on strobist but a 45 minute talk by Andrew Zuckerman. Ilike some of his work. http://vimeo.com/19755808

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm doing a photography course at the moment to try and become more well rounded, this week we're doing still life and I am finding it to be boring as poo poo. I'm forcing myself to shoot a couple of things a day and I'm going to attempt to recreate a couple of "classics" to try and get my head around it, but in general I just find it dull and lifeless (hurr).

I don't see a lot of still life in the Dork Room, is anyone into it?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

psylent posted:

I'm doing a photography course at the moment to try and become more well rounded, this week we're doing still life and I am finding it to be boring as poo poo. I'm forcing myself to shoot a couple of things a day and I'm going to attempt to recreate a couple of "classics" to try and get my head around it, but in general I just find it dull and lifeless (hurr).

I don't see a lot of still life in the Dork Room, is anyone into it?

Brad has done some kickass stuff. The key to getting a lot out of "boring" homework assignments is to find the part you like about them. If the arranging and styling of it is boring, try focusing on lighting, or post work. Try to see if there is items you would have fun with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BobTheCow posted:

For anybody who's interested, POYi judging is underway. There's already an internet shitstorm brewing over the feature picture story third place winner, "A Grunt's Life," being modified with iphone's hipstamatic. Should be interesting to see how that discussion unfolds, and of course how the rest of the judging pans out.

http://www.poyi.org/

(POYi is Pictures of the Year International, a photo contest sponsored by Mizzou, a top PJ school, focusing on photojournalism. Same vein as CPOY, but open to all working professionals.)

I really don't see what's so great about that picture.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

tuyop posted:

I really don't see what's so great about that picture.

Yeah, gotta say I'm not terribly moved by it myself.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There's two Noble Heroes in it, what more do you want?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's other photos in the series, unless it's just that first one that won the competition or you guys are saying none of the photos look interesting.

They don't do that much for me either, but I thought they were somewhat interesting.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

pwn posted:

There's two Noble Heroes in it, what more do you want?

An unabashed visual metaphor for the folly of American foreign policy under the Bush Obama Administration. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You guys should check out the Albino adoption story that got second place. Really harrowing.

The Grunt's life series is literally just cell phone shots that happened to be in a war zone.

While I can definitely see iPhones and cameraphones being legitimate tools in some photojournalism stories - it's hard to take this particular series *that* seriously just because it was taken by a soldier in the unit he was photographing which really makes it hard to consider it journalism as it was a dude taking pictures of his buddies on his iphone.

It's a neat series in that context.