Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

DEPO is a well-known, but not top-notch headlight company...production is taiwan or china.

You could try looking for some ZKW's on bimmerforums, they are pretty affordable used and have glass lenses instead of DEPO's plastic (they used to be plastic, pretty sure they are still. ZKW's will fit better and have better adjusters than DEPO's.

Repaint it something not-bronzit ;)

The lenses on my DEPO e30 lights are made of glass with the approximate impact resistance of a sugar cube. One lens cover was smashed to poo poo within a week of mounting - just needs one pebble and it's game over. The remaining bits just crumbled when I pulled them out of the housing.

Nothing like the OEM lights, which have proper hardened glass and can be used as an anti-tank weapon.

On the plus side, the light hasn't leaked yet despite the cover being smashed!

I like the black kidney on mine (came with the car). Mine is a late touring in diamond black metallic however, with black trim, so it sort of goes. For an early 2/4 door I guess it might look crap.

Saga fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

8ender posted:

If you do this could you post about it? I'm interested in doing the same on my E34 but it looks tricky. I'd love to see how it looks on another BMW from the same era.

Will do, the hard way involves satin black paint, a shitload of newspaper, and painters tape. The easy way, which I'll probably go with, just uses this stuff called "trim blackout tape." It looks just as good as paint as long as you're good with a razor so whatever. The last thing I need is black overspray to claybar off my car in my unheated garage during a loving Wisconsin winter. If you google "shadowline," though, you'll find plenty of threads on BMW forums about both processes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi BMW thread. I wrecked my E36 (barely) in the snow. Total damage: slightly crinkled front bumper (lower part), steering shimmy above 35mph.

Is this a Z3 15 spoke? The guy I bought it from said they were replacement rims, but not knockoffs (I know, right).

Awful comparison shot

I think it's bent, taking it into the shop tomorrow to confirm. I hope to hell it isn't the frame or steering rack. Into a ditch at 15mph, hitting front right and spinning my butt around to end up looking the direction I came from. I don't think anything's too trashed out but that wheel had a slight wobble before the crash (only on the balancer; I never noticed it while driving), I'm wondering if it kind of made it worse. Will know tomorrow.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 3, 2011

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I got the itch to do something to my car, so I finally installed the license plate delete strip that I bought a long time ago. I don't know if I like it more before or after...maybe I'm just a big baby who can't deal with change though.

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 4, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Might have been discussed but....

What is the recommended oil for my 2003 540i? I hear conflicting stories, AI seems to be a little more knowledgeable than the rest of the internet.

Edit: Sorry, I should have asked the brand name people prefer. I have the correct wieght.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 4, 2011

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Might have been discussed but....

What is the recommended oil for my 2003 540i? I hear conflicting stories, AI seems to be a little more knowledgeable than the rest of the internet.

I'd imagine the manual calls for 5W-30 synthetic and you could safely run a 0W-30.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I got the itch to do something to my car, so I finally installed the license plate delete strip that I bought a long time ago. I don't know if I like it more before or after...maybe I'm just a big baby who can't deal with change though.

Definitely better. I did the same to my E36 a couple months back.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I thought you needed front plates in CA? Or are you just not worried about it?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
All my gauges quit in the E34 today while I was waiting for a car wash. First they got all twitchy, then the fuel and coolant died, then the OBC and finally nothing. Checked the fuses and they're fine. Looks like its a capacitor issue.

This car is so very European some times.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

8ender posted:

All my gauges quit in the E34 today while I was waiting for a car wash. First they got all twitchy, then the fuel and coolant died, then the OBC and finally nothing. Checked the fuses and they're fine. Looks like its a capacitor issue.

This car is so very European some times.

Which year? The early (88-90) gauges are known to fail, and were revised later on.

If it's newer, I'd check the 4 plugs on the back for corrosion. There are two tiny screws at the top of the cluster (in the "cave" in the dash that the cluster sits in) that you remove, then you can slide it out (with the steering wheel removed).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Which year? The early (88-90) gauges are known to fail, and were revised later on.

If it's newer, I'd check the 4 plugs on the back for corrosion. There are two tiny screws at the top of the cluster (in the "cave" in the dash that the cluster sits in) that you remove, then you can slide it out (with the steering wheel removed).

Its a 93, so its not necessarily the ones that are prone to failure but apparently it can happen to any year. I found this great Youtube video on taking the cluster out without removing the steering wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-NkaF-mtw

Its worth it for the super serious music as a bearded man births a cluster through the steering wheel.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Fermunky posted:

I thought you needed front plates in CA? Or are you just not worried about it?

You do, but I figure a cop has to be really bored to pull you over for it. I've had other cars without a front plate and it seems at worst they just add on a fix-it ticket if you were pulled over for something else.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

So, tell me about the e60 M5. Is buying a non-CPO car that is almost out of warranty as dumb as I think it is?

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

wallaka posted:

So, tell me about the e60 M5. Is buying a non-CPO car that is almost out of warranty as dumb as I think it is?

Yes, yes it is. Save yourself a boat-load of money, and go for a well-maintained E39 M5. A nice bonus is that it won't have the front-end of Dame Edna like the E60.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

8ender posted:

Its a 93, so its not necessarily the ones that are prone to failure but apparently it can happen to any year. I found this great Youtube video on taking the cluster out without removing the steering wheel:

Pretty sure the cluster doesn't fit through that hole on the e34 steering wheel with airbag like yours should have stock. You can slip it out to the left but it's a pain in the rear end and risks scraping up the dash and the face of the cluster. It's pretty easy to get the steering wheel off, you don't need a puller or anything. Just 4 T25 torx screws and I think it was a 22mm bolt in the middle. Make sure you disconnect the battery so you don't set off the SRS light, even if you don't take the wheel off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Lowclock posted:

Pretty sure the cluster doesn't fit through that hole on the e34 steering wheel with airbag like yours should have stock. You can slip it out to the left but it's a pain in the rear end and risks scraping up the dash and the face of the cluster. It's pretty easy to get the steering wheel off, you don't need a puller or anything. Just 4 T25 torx screws and I think it was a 22mm bolt in the middle. Make sure you disconnect the battery so you don't set off the SRS light, even if you don't take the wheel off.

drat I think you're right. Didn't even think about the fact that it was a non-airbag wheel. Interestingly it seems the 89's in particular were gifted with some sort of giant ugly truck looking wheel.

However this guide gives me hope that maybe I just have to remove the airbag and not the wheel itself. At least in the pictures with the airbag removed it looks like theres a lot of room there.
http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/airBagAndBulbs.html

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

wallaka posted:

Buy an E39, you'll never regret it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

8ender posted:

drat I think you're right. Didn't even think about the fact that it was a non-airbag wheel. Interestingly it seems the 89's in particular were gifted with some sort of giant ugly truck looking wheel.

However this guide gives me hope that maybe I just have to remove the airbag and not the wheel itself. At least in the pictures with the airbag removed it looks like theres a lot of room there.
http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/airBagAndBulbs.html

If you're already removing the airbag, it's a piece of cake to remove the steering wheel itself. It takes no time. It's the airbag removal that's a hassle.

Just one thing though - make a notch or two with a marking pen across the toothed part of the steering column and on the wheel. That way you won't be putting it on wrong. Nothing more annoying than a mis-aligned steering wheel.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Pilsner posted:

If you're already removing the airbag, it's a piece of cake to remove the steering wheel itself. It takes no time. It's the airbag removal that's a hassle.

Right again. Got it all off last night. Piece of cake. Speedo is out and I've separated the board from the backing plate. Nothing looks outwardly destroyed but reading around on the internet some people had dead speedos with perfectly good looking caps on them that came back to life with new ones.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

KaiserBen posted:

Buy an E39, you'll never regret it.

I want something with less miles than my M3, and it better have more than 400 hp if the mileage is that terrible. So that's a negative on E39's, because I'm also not paying $30k+ that the well-maintained/low mileage ones command.

I'm not sure if I want a smaller sports car or a car as large as a 5-series. I'll have around $25k saved up at the end of this month, and will willingly finance up to $20k, though I wouldn't necessarily want to pay that much. It would be my daily driver, I have a huge car if I need to carry something large. I test drove a Cayman S and an Audi S5 this weekend, and they were damned nice in different ways. I can't think of much else in this price range besides the M coupe, M5/M6 and RS4, and there aren't any RS4's or M coupes within 300 miles of me. I do not like the new M3's, and I'll be damned if I settle for a Mustang.

Any thoughts?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wallaka posted:

Any thoughts?

A few. If I had $25k and wanted something of style and class, I'd cast my eye towards older BMWs first.

Ever driven an S52-powered E30? Scan bimmerforums.com classifieds and see if you can get a testdrive in your area. They're already at the bottom of their depreciation curve, are lightweight and entertaining to drive, and a really well-done example (with all accessories, swapped steering rack, etc) will clock in at about $10k.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can get into a used 335i for drat near what you have in the bank. Take it to a reputable mechanic or dealership for a PPI and assurance that the recalls/warranty work has been done on the high-pressure fuel pump, then have a chip installed that takes you up to ~400hp with no other sacrifice in driveability or mileage.

Lastly, test drive a Corvette -- 01+ Z06 Corvettes are the second-best performance car bargain on the market right now, and can be found all day for under $25k. 30mpg highway and 400+ horsepower with perfect weight distribution is a tough combination to beat.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

wallaka posted:

I want something with less miles than my M3, and it better have more than 400 hp if the mileage is that terrible. So that's a negative on E39's, because I'm also not paying $30k+ that the well-maintained/low mileage ones command.
Any thoughts?

Low-mileage E39 M5's command ~$21k at the high end, and I'd still take one over an E60 any day. You're dead set against the 5-series, but already have an M3 and still want a sports car, so I gotta ask, what's the M3 lacking?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

tesko.pk posted:

Low-mileage E39 M5's command ~$21k at the high end, and I'd still take one over an E60 any day. You're dead set against the 5-series, but already have an M3 and still want a sports car, so I gotta ask, what's the M3 lacking?

If it has to be a sports car, less miles than your M3, lighter than and a BMW, you're not going to have a lot of options.

I personally would rather have an E30 swap over any later car, with the possible exception of an Alpina D3 or B3S touring (with maximum stripe!), but pretty much the only thing that would seem to tick the above boxes is a Z4. I don't know that they're actually going to be much sportier than the M3 though - the Z4 is a heavy old barge.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I don't know much about the 6-series, but I remember it being mentioned a bunch recently in the thread and happened to see this on Craig's list in my area.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2199565148.html

It looks pretty sweet and I would like to get it myself, but I don't have the time or space to deal with a project car unfortunately, so I thought I would throw it out there for someone. It doesn't sound like there is a lot wrong with it, and it is a 5 speed, so I'm sure that would gather interest.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

tesko.pk posted:

Honestly, I'm just spooked by this particular car. It's getting to that 100,000 mile mark and things are starting to go wrong that typically go wrong at this mileage. Everybody says that I'm looking forward to replacing shocks, O2 sensors, coils, the waterpump and radiator, and the suspension bushings very soon. On top of that, M3's have a history of VANOS issues that cost an arm and a leg to fix if you're lucky, and if you're unlucky you will be replacing the engine. I replaced an 02 sensor, alternator, and battery this month, and in December had an explosive total oil loss due to timing chain tensioner failure that stranded me in the freezing rain. It's gotten me a bit leery of the car and e46 M3's in general. And this was a CPO car--all maintenance to 100,000 miles was done on time and on schedule because it was free. Even with me doing the labor, parts were over $600 this month, and I've spent $800+ in the past 3 months on parts and spent hours and hours of my time working on it. I love driving it, but it's time to move on.

The new M3's/335 just didn't quite do it for me. They are a possibility, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about them. I don't like the dash and they are definitely less attractive than the e46 is. Honestly, the main thing that attracts me about the e60 is the V10 and fahv hunnert horsepowers. The Bangleiciousness is meh and the bulk is...unfortunate.

I'm located in Montgomery, Alabama and there's exactly one E39 M5 for sale within 300 miles of me. It has 115,000 miles and unknown maintenance history. That's the most important issue I have with them: I don't want a 100,000 mile M-car unless there are records that typical preventative maintenance has been done. I do see many of them for a good bit more than $20k.

I don't particularly want an E30; I already have a '93 240SX with SR20DET swap that fits the bill for a light, loud, mechanically simple, tinny raw-feeling car. I like just a touch more luxury for a daily driver.

I had forgotten about the Z06's. That could be a possibility, but I hate hate hate the interiors.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I put a Zender air dam on my 2002 this weekend.

Next up: bottlecaps, fender flares (riveted, of course), and a 2" drop.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

slidebite posted:

Saw the E31. Pics

So did you end up getting this or the other one you were talking about? Although I never plan on owning one I still get giddy every time I see one or here people talking about them. I guess it's kind of how you wanna nail that super hot materialistic gold-digger, but really have no interest in a relationship let alone marrying her

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Funny you ask. I just got a reply from the lady selling her 850 (original owner, dealer maintained)

quote:

Hi Slidebite,

I just thought I would check in and let you know that I have decided not to sell my car.:words:
So no, I didn't buy it. That red one in the photo is still available. I'm a little turned off though because I ran the Vin and came up as a 1990 Production, but registered as a 92. Probably an artifact of being j-spec. The transmission scares me a little bit, but some other owners assured me it's "probably" not much. Still, a couple of things that aren't giving me a warm fuzzy.

I had a line on a beautiful 968 w/under 60K KMs.. but it's a little more than I want to spend and the owner made it clear he won't budge a dime. I had another line on a different 968 but it turned out to be not so nice.

I really don't know what I'm going to do.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 10, 2011

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Welp.

1997 328i, manual, 195,646 miles.

I was turning around at the end of my babysitter's street when my car sputtered, died, and wouldn't start back up. I get out to this:

My oil decided it belonged on the road.

It's not the filter or drain plug. I'm thinking head gasket. I've been losing coolant for some time (every winter since I bought the car actually), but the oil looks fine. The underside of the oil filler cap looks like a milkshake but it's done that all three winters I've had the car and I've been told by multiple people that it's normal. Again, the oil itself has always looked fine and as you can see in the picture continues to look fine.

I'm really hoping it's not a cracked block or something. It was 5°F when this happened (and I had to wait an hour for a tow truck :argh: ) but the car was fully warmed up since I'd driven ten miles before I got to the babysitter (coming from a Kia dealership, ha!).

I couldn't determine where the oil came from. There was splatter on both sides of the engine, above the exhaust manifold on the left and under the airbox on the right. I'm going to let the mechanic look at it in the morning to see what it might be and I'll have to go from there.

Thoughts?

Here is a picture of the oil above the exhaust manifold. I couldn't tell where it came from.

It could be worse, while I was waiting for the tow truck a man was hit and killed a quarter mile away. Actually right across the street from where I had my car towed to. It was a bit sobering watching them cover a body up in the street while I waited for a ride.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 10, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wallaka posted:

I'm located in Montgomery, Alabama and there's exactly one E39 M5 for sale within 300 miles of me. It has 115,000 miles and unknown maintenance history. That's the most important issue I have with them: I don't want a 100,000 mile M-car unless there are records that typical preventative maintenance has been done. I do see many of them for a good bit more than $20k.

My purchase of a 5 series over the 3 series was mostly based on the fact that if the original owners could afford the thing in the first place, they probably took at least average, if not above average care of their cars. If you can find a one owner 5 series you're still taking a bit of a gamble, but the quality of the vehicle is very much more in your favor than if you bought a 3 series that was bought new by a 28 year old guy, tore it to shreds and then sold it to two more owners who proceeded to redline the engine within minutes of a cold start every morning.

CornHolio posted:

Welp. The underside of the oil filler cap looks like a milkshake but it's done that all three winters I've had the car and I've been told by multiple people that it's normal.

That's normal if you have coolant in your oil :( Where did you hear this about that being normal? My first car was a Neon which has the coolant pump cast into the block and I have many many memories of seeing pictures of other people's cars with milkshake oil due to a ruptured coolant pump. Maybe it is normal, but that's the first I've ever heard of it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 10, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hadlock posted:

That's normal if you have coolant in your oil :( Where did you hear this about that being normal? My first car was a Neon which has the coolant pump cast into the block and I have many many memories of seeing pictures of other people's cars with milkshake oil due to a ruptured coolant pump. Maybe it is normal, but that's the first I've ever heard of it.

It's not a lot and it is fairly common, especially in winter. Mostly applies to x52 motors moreso than x50s.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

That's normal if you have coolant in your oil :( Where did you hear this about that being normal?

Both in this thread and on bimmerforums. I posted about it every year I think, because it always unnerved me. I figured maybe something was at least wrong with the PCV system. But every time I was told that it was normal and to ignore it.

Here is a thread nearly three years old that I started.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depends on if it's a chocolate or vanilla milkshake. Chocolate = normal, vanilla = disaster in progress from what I understand :)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

wallaka posted:

etc
Ah ok, I've got a clearer picture now, and definitely agree on the interior quality when it comes to E46 vs. E9x. My old man has a C5 'vette and I couldn't agree more on the interior, it shares components with his Jeep GC of the same year, touching ANY switch makes me certain I'm about to break something.
It doesn't sound like there's a ton of "BMW" options left for you except maybe the 8-series, or say a Z4M or M Coupe.

Or go a bit bonkers and find a really nice E46 330ci and give it some FI?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Crustashio posted:

Just as an example of the garbage you have to deal with for e30s up north:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ256200401

4 door 318 with 335000km, dented, with rust spots coming through the paint. 3000 dollars.

-or-

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-BMW-3-Series-320I-ASIS-SPECIAL-MUST-SEE-IMPORTED-CAR-W0QQAdIdZ255035937

1988 320i import (who would import a 320?) with rust holes and a busted steering rack, 2000 dollars.

I figure I'll be shelling out 5000 for a rust-free 325is/318is if I ever manage to find one.

The prices on the e30 318is are rising fast as good ones become harder to find and everyone wants them for track cars. I sold my '91 with 118k miles for KBB which was $2,000 back in 2005. I see really good ones being listed for between $4000 and $6,000 pretty often these days. I'd imagine it is the same for choice 325is as well.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 10, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Dantu posted:

The prices on the e30 318is are rising fast as good ones become harder to find and everyone wants them for track cars. I sold my '91 with 118k miles for KBB which was $2,000 back in 2005. I see really good ones being listed for between $4000 and $6,000 pretty often these days. I'd imagine it is the same for choice 325is as well.

Yeah, the best deals over here seem to be non-MTEC/sport 325s. Traders have started trying to charge stupid amounts for any 316/318 with good paint, and a 325 sport or a cosmetically good 318is commands a huge premium.

The sad thing is the prices are probably worth it to avoid dealing with the more complicated, lard-assed and at least equally failure-prone later generations. I could buy a 328i touring for £700, but would I want to unless it came with a trunk full of gold bullion?

I'd be better off trading down to an Alfa 75 and spending the balance on Fiat stock than paying the going rate for a 325 sport. I've just seen a 90k "75" V6 in lovely condition advertised for £3k. :devil:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

It would be my daily driver, I have a huge car if I need to carry something large. I test drove a Cayman S and an Audi S5 this weekend, and they were damned nice in different ways. I can't think of much else in this price range besides the M coupe, M5/M6 and RS4, and there aren't any RS4's or M coupes within 300 miles of me. I do not like the new M3's, and I'll be damned if I settle for a Mustang.

Any thoughts?

late model 2003-2004 996 911?

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Just got a 328i (E46) 1999 last week and I'm absolutely loving it. Scrapped my old Clio and I'm not looking back. Only slight issue is I appear to be suffering the famous central locking problem. It's under warranty so the garage will fix it, although they're saying it's a motor/actuator in the door rather than the GM5. I'll let them fit it and see. I'd like to be wrong but all the symptoms are consistent with the GM5 problems :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Update!

Well, it looks like I got kind of lucky. Though it's still going to be expensive.

Apparently what happened was the PCV system got clogged up. It's deep under the intake manifold and it's something often overlooked. I replaced the whole thing on the Volvo right when I bought it; my car, well, I've scoured the internet in the past, and have never been able to find a bit of information on the system. So it's not something I've ever serviced on my car.

Anyway, it got clogged due to the cold weather and moisture freezing in the system. Pressure built up and eventually blew out of my exhaust gasket and (it sounds like) my valve cover gasket.

The guy at the independent shop told me he thought some of my connecting rods were bent, because he sees it all the time on Japanese and American cars. However, BMW connecting rods are stronger and mine are apparently fine. Score one for owning an old BMW I guess. Means I won't need a new engine.

Anyway, the independent shop I took it to doesn't want to work on it, so they're sending it down the road to the dealer, who is going to do it for $300 cheaper than what the independant shop would have done it for. I'm going to be out about a grand.

Lesson here: Make sure your PCV system is in good shape! Especially if you have a Japanese of American car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

late model 2003-2004 996 911?

Nah, not as good of a car as the Cayman from all accounts.