Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

csammis posted:

Where's the donation link to keep the cartoonist lit and firing?

It'd be the url of a place to buy antidepressants online. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

csammis posted:

Where's the donation link to keep the cartoonist lit and firing?

Click here for a big "gently caress you."

Alternately: Roast Beef's wedding registry.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I made a drunken fool of myself at his Brooklyn book signing. I feel this has contributed to the downfall of Achewood.

My inebriated inanities are a poison to all

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Question:

Dong-razzled. Is this term an out of control excited/inebriated state, or an undesirable event? Dictionary seems to point to the first, but I wanted to be sure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Locus posted:

Dong-razzled.

I thought it was when you were all :swoon: about penises.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Ola posted:

I thought it was when you were all :swoon: about penises.

Yeah, I think that makes the most sense. I was just unsure about it in non-literal usage. It's an amazing word.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bo-Pepper posted:

I made a drunken fool of myself at his Brooklyn book signing.

What happened? Did you say anything memorable or did you just slur your way through a rambling, vaguely pro-Achewood diatribe?

EDIT: Hold on a minute dogg did you piss into an empty? Man up now.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He tried to break Lyles puke football record of course.

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Hyper Viper Beam? No, this is just a gun. It shoots holes in people. Bang.
Someone feels dumb for putting down the nay-sayers. Me, I do. Onstad is like the girlfriend that you keep forgiving for blowing firemen, but she keeps doing it.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not surprised he might be having trouble with taking the story forward. I just re-read through the archive and blogs over the past couple weeks, and it honestly kinda feels like both the characters and the strip itself have gone through a pretty complete arc.

I don't mean in the way that it's all downhill from here, just in the way that if he sort of tapered it down to a solid end it would feel about right.

Flupp
Aug 2, 2004
I just want him to keep writing, in webcomics or not.

More comics would also be good though.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Flupp posted:

I just want him to keep writing, in webcomics or not.

More comics would also be good though.

These are my thoughts as well. I wouldn't mind Achewood being done if he moved on to some other form of writing. He is a genius at putting words together and has made me reconsider a lot of things I thought I knew about this crazy language of ours.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Writing maybe, but I certainly can't get into these chapbooks at all. Makes me glad I stopped paying for the fanflow. A dozen half-finished thoughts are not as good as a half-dozen fully finished thoughts, or even one. These chapbooks are like a glimpse inside his process, but it's like reading all the chaff for want of the wheat.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
I have a gut feeling that trying to start an all new webcomic from scratch would end up just not working out. The dude's talented enough to make the jump to full on prose, though, I'd love to see him do it.

He's the only one who can tell what would work best for him and I have confidence in him, I'll follow whatever he does.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

poor and weird posted:

I have a gut feeling that trying to start an all new webcomic from scratch would end up just not working out. The dude's talented enough to make the jump to full on prose, though, I'd love to see him do it.

He's the only one who can tell what would work best for him and I have confidence in him, I'll follow whatever he does.

The funny thing is he'll never read these posts again. Onstad strikes me as the dude to go all 'change password again? 13 characters or more? gently caress that-' when the forums inevitably ask to update his password. Some of these sentiments should be forwarded to him via twitter, though.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

poor and weird posted:

I actually think a legitimate novel from Onstad could be better than Achewood ever has been. Maybe not, but the best stuff I've seen from him recently have been the in character updates on the fanflow. Which reminds me, for anyone who hasn't checked out any of the free in character blogs, they're loving awesome, though I don't think any of them have been updated since around 2008.

He has mentioned book and animation development being in the works (only mentioned as an excuse for the lack of updates) but that was a while ago so who knows how long until, or even if those projects will see the light of day.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

Zefiel posted:

The funny thing is he'll never read these posts again. Onstad strikes me as the dude to go all 'change password again? 13 characters or more? gently caress that-' when the forums inevitably ask to update his password. Some of these sentiments should be forwarded to him via twitter, though.

To be fair, even I can barely put up with that. That stuff's a crazy nuisance when you gotta do it.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SearchForDelicious posted:

I actually think a legitimate novel from Onstad could be better than Achewood ever has been. Maybe not, but the best stuff I've seen from him recently have been the in character updates on the fanflow. Which reminds me, for anyone who hasn't checked out any of the free in character blogs, they're loving awesome, though I don't think any of them have been updated since around 2008.

He has mentioned book and animation development being in the works (only mentioned as an excuse for the lack of updates) but that was a while ago so who knows how long until, or even if those projects will see the light of day.

Yeah, I think he has the ability to mimic prose styles incredibly well. He could easily do a really good genre book. One thing I'd like to see is a Nate Small 'One tough man' book written in the noir style, or maybe more like John D. Macdonald.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Are you saying we're getting a comic in July??? :dance:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I think that prediction calendar is a bit too optimistic.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
I never thought I'd see a point where Onstad's Achewood is less often updated than say Miura's Berserk.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Double insult by using Comic Sans. I don't think anyone deserves that.

vv that is pretty meta.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 14, 2011

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fillerbunny posted:

Double insult by using Comic Sans. I don't think anyone deserves that.

I choose to interpret it as a very meta joke about us being sans comic.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dominion posted:

I choose to interpret it as a very meta joke about us being sans comic.

Ooh. Ooh, that's good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
man I saw there were some posts and I was all "oh hey I missed february's comic I wonder what it was"

Hedgehog's comic is woefully accurate.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

McGravin posted:

Writing maybe, but I certainly can't get into these chapbooks at all. Makes me glad I stopped paying for the fanflow. A dozen half-finished thoughts are not as good as a half-dozen fully finished thoughts, or even one. These chapbooks are like a glimpse inside his process, but it's like reading all the chaff for want of the wheat.

Hey there ol' Athens buddy. How's it hangin'?

I finally read Chapbook 1 today, and I have to say it was certainly depressing. I also didn't really dig it, but then again he has provided me with hours of free entertainment so no complaints here. Maybe I should grab another t-shirt or something for old time's sake. I ain't given Onstad any of my money in about 5 years.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 17, 2011

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Maybe I should grab another t-shirt or something for old time's sake. I ain't given Onstad any of my money in about 5 years.
Good luck. The shop is gone, last I checked.

It's going well here. How's stuff with you?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

McGravin posted:

Good luck. The shop is gone, last I checked.

It's going well here. How's stuff with you?

It is pretty good. If I recall, you ain't to partial to Chicago, but you should visit anyway. We will make good times.

And yeah, the shop looks to be long gone. It seems to me that part of Onstad's problem is that he is trying to make some money off of a web comic, but he cannot find the best business model. So why close the shop? I guess agree with the crushing depression insinuations then. Perhaps he is slowly shutting down Achewwod and he doesn't want to admit it.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

It is pretty good. If I recall, you ain't to partial to Chicago, but you should visit anyway. We will make good times.

I actually really enjoy visiting, I just wouldn't want to live there. Maybe I'll come up for a few days this summer.

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.

McGravin posted:

I actually really enjoy visiting, I just wouldn't want to live there
I live in the chicago suburbs and feel exactly the same way about the city!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Looks like Assetbar's been pulled down. I think this sucker is slowly going down, guys.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Man I hope he moves on to other things, dude has talent.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
If it wasn't drat rude, I'd just outright ask Onstad, or his wife, on Twitter what the deal is. I don't really want to be that guy though. (someone else do it)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm sure he knows that we're all WTFing about it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I kinda hate to say it because I'm sure the last thing he needs is a sudden surge of bandwidth costs, but I hope someone has archived all the strips just in case poo poo really goes south.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I could swear I didn't see that little "discuss" link up on the top, but I stand corrected: Assetbar is still up, it's just that the Achewood.com strip panels no longer link to Assetbar directly.

That said I do still agree with Erebus.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a torrent of all the strips kicking around. I just hope Onstad doesn't stop writing altogether.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I just listened to this the other day:

Interview with Chris Onstad
January 2009
The Sound of Young America

Not really anything new here if you've read some interviews with Onstad, but you get to hear what he sounded like during a more upbeat and active time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™
As if by magic...

:siren:NEW STRIP:siren:

Hell of breaking the fourth wall and explaining his man-issues through his comic strip abouts cats and stuffed animals.