Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Do you guys remember when Artie would be out sick and come back and then callers would call in and say "Thank god you're back Artie, the show is so much better with you"

I bet that's in the back of Howards mind in some small way and a part of the reason why he wont re-fill the chair

I remember feeling the same thing when Howard would announce that Artie wasn't going to be in on any given day. It was "ugghh."

I'd love to call in with that and to ask Howard what he thought of Vegucating Robin and that hair of hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does anyone have the URL for that site with a TON of audio and video content? It was sternarchives.com or something, but that isn't the site I remembered.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kelly posted:

Let me preface this by saying I find Kevin Smith to be insufferable. He has diarrhea of the mouth, and I had to stop following him on Twitter because he was flooding my feed.

(Though his early movies will always have a special place in my heart)

That said - Howard completely made something up this morning in his discussion about why they don't have Kevin on the show - he said they don't have directors on often. That is utter bullshit. Just in the Sirius years they've had a ton: Quentin Tarantino, Eli Roth, Franics Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, M. Night, and James Cameron. (Though that might have been pre-Sirius.)

Um...wasn't Ron Howard just on last week?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Brocktoon posted:

Not last week but quite recently.

Howard's retarded and made something up to validate his bullshit.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
I don't think you guys understand.

MARIO LOPEZ!

Who doesn't want to talk to Mario Lopez?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Brocktoon posted:

Jason Reitman has also been on the show at least twice.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

burmart posted:

MARIO LOPEZ!

I love how Wheels, a guy that paralyzed himself when he was like 18, was so concerned to know how many women Mario has been with.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Howard mentioned that Ron Howard was just in.

He said Ron was different because people also know him as Opie and from Happy Days. That, and he also happened to direct some huge films that made millions and millions of dollars like Beautiful Mind. He also mentioned having James Cameron in who "you know, directed Terminator and Avatar".

He said no one really knows who Kevin Smith is, and one of his biggest filmsis Clerks which is more of a cult film and came out in 1994. I'm not agreeing with Howard... this is just what he said.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

burmart posted:

MARIO LOPEZ!

I'll take Mario Lopez over Kevin Smith.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Howard really is full of poo poo with the Kevin Smith stuff. His entire argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Howard trying to pretend that Kevin Smith isn't relevant or popular is pretty false also. Howard just came off as a dick.

The guy is a good guest on shows, just made a movie that would interest him and made/distributing it in a new way which should interest him also.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
I'm sure Kevin Smith being a huge O&A guy has nothing to do with it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ransom posted:

I'm sure Kevin Smith being a huge O&A guy has nothing to do with it.

I honestly believe that it doesn't. Howard probably just really doesn't give a poo poo about Kevin Smith.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

FogHelmut posted:

I honestly believe that it doesn't. Howard probably just really doesn't give a poo poo about Kevin Smith.

Probably this, Jim Breuer goes on Opie and Anthony all the time.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Djarum posted:

The guy is a good guest on shows, just made a movie that would interest him and made/distributing it in a new way which should interest him also.

Why on earth would Howard want an interesting guest on the show?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ransom posted:

Why on earth would Howard want an interesting guest on the show?

Or a relevant one at that.

Oh wait Joan Rivers is here!

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

The irony is that while I don't regularly listen to Howard any more, I never miss a new episode of Smodcast, Hollywood Babble On or Jay and Silent Bob Get Old each week. Has Howard mentioned that Smith does something like 7 hour-long podcast shows each week? I find Kevin Smith's affable stoner/dumbass persona more endearing than Stern's out-of-touch rich old man persona. Kevin Smith built a nice little thing with smodcast.com, maybe Howard didn't want him talking about it on his show given his distaste for podcasts in general.

When I was growing up Smith was a quirky indie director and Howard as the king of radio. Now I listen to hours of Kevin Smith on the radio (podcast) each week and only listen to Howard when something big happens. The world has gone topsy turvy :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry guys, as a person who has watched and been a fan of a lot of Kevin Smith's stuff, he's not really popular or relevant outside of nerdland. I can understand being disappointed that Howard didn't choose to interview him but acting like he is really relevant or something to a large group of people is an act of delusion.

I hate Joan Rivers but she is probably more relevant to the majority of people than Kevin "Huge Cargo Jorts" Smith.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
What has Kevin Smith done in the past 10 years that was worth promoting? Since Dogma his movies have all pretty much sucked. He's an unfunny, morbidly obese, boring Seth Rogen.

If you want to bitch about somebody that Howard didn't get you should use Seth McFarlane as an example. I hate family guy but Seth is huge right now and Howard acted like he didn't know who he was.

Also, Howard doesn't pay attention to Opie and Anthony. He has Iron Sheik on usually same day he's on Opie and Anthony.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
The matchmaker's name was "Orly" I can't help but imagine someone is playing a joke on someone

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Sorry guys, as a person who has watched and been a fan of a lot of Kevin Smith's stuff, he's not really popular or relevant outside of nerdland. I can understand being disappointed that Howard didn't choose to interview him but acting like he is really relevant or something to a large group of people is an act of delusion.

I hate Joan Rivers but she is probably more relevant to the majority of people than Kevin "Huge Cargo Jorts" Smith.

As much as I like Kevin Smith this is largely true. Howard's show, for all its edgy humour, is geared towards a fairly mainstream American audience. It's no accident that they discuss Lindsay Lohan, reality TV shows, those horrible dancing and singing talent shows so much on the Howard Stern Show. It was better when Artie or even Jackie was on to needle and poke fun at Howard, but that element is gone and the overall show suffers.

This is also why I stopped listening regularly because at some point I had to ask myself: "Howard seems to be genuinely excited about the Bachelor or Kathy Griffin or whatever and that's nice for him, but why am I listening to this?"

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.

Moniker posted:

The matchmaker's name was "Orly" I can't help but imagine someone is playing a joke on someone

When Howard said 'Your name is Orly?' I half expected her to reply 'Yarly'.

And when you have the opportunity to settle a feud, which Howard knows his regular listeners know about, it's ridiculous to not late book a guest. I think we could live with only 30 minutes of goat boy and fill the rest of the time with Smith.

It should be mentinoed that back in High School I was a huge Kevin Smith fan, have seen him live at Comic Con multiple times and watched his evening with dvds. In recent years I've come to somewhat dislike him for his two dimensional film making/writing style and what comes off to me as unending arrogance and diarrhea of the mouth. I'd still of liked to see him on Howard.

CapnPyro fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 10, 2011

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Glumwheels posted:

What has Kevin Smith done in the past 10 years that was worth promoting?

His current flick could have been interesting with Howard, since it's sort of a play on the Westboro Baptist fuckwads. I mean Howard even interviewed those people and still brings it up from time to time.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream
Howard's got a weird compass to who's relevant and who's not, but passing on Kevin Smith for Jim Breuer only makes sense because Jim Breuer was booked first and is a "friend of the show" type of guest.

Smith really hasn't made any good movies since Chasing Amy, in my opinion. And even that was a 7/10 type of movie. He's a clever guy, and funny, and a good guest on shows, but like somebody said before, he's not really relevant to you if you don't like comic books or his movies. And he doesn't make big movies.

That being said, Howard's justification of not asking certain guests always makes me laugh. He passes on people who are legitimate celebrities with interesting stories for Kathy loving Griffin.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

As much as I like Kevin Smith this is largely true. Howard's show, for all its edgy humour, is geared towards a fairly mainstream American audience. It's no accident that they discuss Lindsay Lohan, reality TV shows, those horrible dancing and singing talent shows so much on the Howard Stern Show. It was better when Artie or even Jackie was on to needle and poke fun at Howard, but that element is gone and the overall show suffers.

This is also why I stopped listening regularly because at some point I had to ask myself: "Howard seems to be genuinely excited about the Bachelor or Kathy Griffin or whatever and that's nice for him, but why am I listening to this?"

I think this is the problem that Howard's show faces: it has lost all sense of identity. While all radio shows have to touch on popular culture for material (it would be impossible just to do a show on the stuff you like all the time), the edgy humor combined with the mainstream appeal creates an odd beast. How edgy can you be if you're appealing to a mainstream audience? Especially when the show during its heyday was posed as something outside of the norm?

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn
Kevin Smith stinks and he's not relevant. I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that. We all bag on Howard for not being relevant because the guy is grumpy. Kevin Smith has this "Hey! I'm fat and likable, I appeal to your insular culture of morons that play videogames and smoke weeds!" schtick that keeps him in people's minds even when he's really not doing anything interesting.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm already seeing articles online about Smith calling Stern a bully. He's basically saying that one on one, Howard is really nice but once he's out and on the show he turns into a dick that picks on people.

I used to be a Kevin Smith fan but as time goes on he's more like that one friend you have who peaked in high school and still lives everyday trying to be 18 again.

And then there is the fact that anytime anyone critiques Smith, he turns it around and blames it on something else. Bad movie (Cop Out)? It was the actor's (Bruce Willis) fault. lovely reviews? The critics hate him. Gotta pay for an extra seat on Southewest because I'm a fatass? The airline is hosed up and Imma gonna rage against he machine!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Awhile back, some reviewer walked in the middle of one of his movies and he threw a holy fit. He seems to get upset really easily for someone in the entertainment industry. He's that guy who pretends to be all chill and relaxed but is really angry not far under the surface.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Wait, are you talking about Stern or Smith? :hurr:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Smith was on a local NYC sports radio morning show they other day, I thought he was pretty enjoyable, so I don't see how he could be any worse that the schlock Stern throws on the audience most days.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kevin Smith has the kind of name where you keep thinking it's someone who should be more famous but isn't.

Tom Ripley
Mar 21, 2010

by T. Finn
Ask any guy on the street who Kevin Smith is. The guy's basically a nobody. Stern has more of a rep from doing a radio show that doesn't play in half the country than this guy who's made almost a dozen movies! I mean, call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the appeal of a guest who has a low level of fame but a high level of self-importance. He's like a step above a wackpacker in terms of guests. I'd rather hear Jeff the Drunk's take on the latest pop culture phenoms.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Tom Ripley posted:

I'd rather hear Jeff the Drunk's take on the latest pop culture phenoms.

"Kevin who?"

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kelly posted:

Awhile back, some reviewer walked in the middle of one of his movies and he threw a holy fit. He seems to get upset really easily for someone in the entertainment industry. He's that guy who pretends to be all chill and relaxed but is really angry not far under the surface.

That was Joel Seigel, and it wasn't that he walked out of Clerks 2, but that he loudly stood up and said "That's it! Time to leave!" before he walked out. If you want to walk out of a movie because you're offended, go for it, but for a critic to make a scene like that was completely unprofessional.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I heard him tell that story on O&A when it happened and while I agree that is a rude thing to do, Kevin Smith has such a flare for the dramatic that who knows how loudly it was actually said.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Most people under like 30 do know who Silent Bob is, I like Kevin Smith talking but I think most of his movies have been terrible he would have been a great guest though and would have actually answered when Stern asked if he ever licked an rear end in a top hat.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

therapy posted:

That being said, Howard's justification of not asking certain guests always makes me laugh. He passes on people who are legitimate celebrities with interesting stories for Kathy loving Griffin.

I think he does it to because he is sheltered and has nothing to really talk about with some guests. He couldn't run all over Kevin Smith, he doesn't know enough to make it interesting so he probably passed on that. He doesn't want to look like a fool or not ready or not up on everything, he probably didn't have time to research him and get his staff to provide him with information.

He has no problem bringing in people he knows, like that guy who plays in a band nobody knows. Most of his guests are friends or people he works with or his wife knows, which explains why he can't be mean to A.C Slater anymore.

I mean poo poo, I remember when Conan came on to promote his show, they TORE him up. Conan oh Bye Bye and the jackie puppet, holy poo poo. They are best when they rip up guests, even good guests like Conan.

There was a lot he could have talked to Kevin Smith about, but he passed because he probably didn't know what he could talk about. poo poo, talk about Tracey and that horrible movie, Cop Out. Talk about his wife being in movies and making out with other actors. Talk about his weight. Talk about Red State and get Scott in there to battle him. Talk about Jay and all his poo poo, that's good for a laugh. Maybe find out Jay is awesome and give him the Artie chair and what him implode again.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008
I guess I'm biased by being in the Kevin Smith "demographic" (30/white/comic nerd/into indie films when Clerks broke)

But to all the people saying Kevin Smith isn't relevant, I'd almost make the argument that he's a better fit for the "King of all Modern Media" title that Howard professes himself to be.

Off the top of my head for Kevin Smith:
- Upcoming Film
- Back Catalogue of films (varying quality but 4 or so even have their own established "universe")
- An animated series
- Weekly podcasts
- A well followed twitter, that generated a mainstream news story
- Has written story lines on at least 2 major comics huge characters from each publisher (Batman and Daredevil)

So thats print, online, film and television. All current within the last 10 or so years.

Howard Stern:
- 2 best selling books (Early 90's)
- 1 fairly successful movie ($41M domestic according to wikipedia)
- 4(?) day a week shows on a subscriber only media
- 2 Six day sprints on twitter
- Son of the beach...
- Popular syndicated terrestrial radio show.

Current to the last decade, we have free radio, pay radio and...Please correct me if I've omitted anything.

I dont mean to completely poo poo on Howard, nor do I mean to put over Kevin Smith to a serious degree. I just had to offer a counterpoint to: "Feh, who is he, what has he done? Bring in Lisa Lampinelli, Joan Rivers and later we'll have a phone call from Debbie Gibson and the Barbie twins!"

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Brocktoon posted:

That was Joel Seigel, and it wasn't that he walked out of Clerks 2, but that he loudly stood up and said "That's it! Time to leave!" before he walked out. If you want to walk out of a movie because you're offended, go for it, but for a critic to make a scene like that was completely unprofessional.

That story is hilarious.

"He said it was the first movie he'd walked out of in 30 years. Imagine what he didnt walk out of. He didnt walk out of Howard the Duck."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

To be fair, Howard the Duck was better than Clerks 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Alkaphanel posted:

lists

Don't forget the E! show which ran from 1994-2005 and seemed to be on whenever I flipped by the channel. Over 2,000 episodes!