Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Don't forget the E! show which ran from 1994-2005 and seemed to be on whenever I flipped by the channel. Over 2,000 episodes!

Valid point! And I also forgot HowardTV. Subscriber only as well, but that is a serious broadcast length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Alkaphanel posted:

But to all the people saying Kevin Smith isn't relevant, I'd almost make the argument that he's a better fit for the "King of all Modern Media" title that Howard professes himself to be.

Off the top of my head for Kevin Smith:
- Upcoming Film
- Back Catalogue of films (varying quality but 4 or so even have their own established "universe")
- An animated series
- Weekly podcasts
- A well followed twitter, that generated a mainstream news story
- Has written story lines on at least 2 major comics huge characters from each publisher (Batman and Daredevil)

So thats print, online, film and television. All current within the last 10 or so years.

Howard Stern:
- 2 best selling books (Early 90's)
- 1 fairly successful movie ($41M domestic according to wikipedia)
- 4(?) day a week shows on a subscriber only media
- 2 Six day sprints on twitter
- Son of the beach...
- Popular syndicated terrestrial radio show.

Current to the last decade, we have free radio, pay radio and...Please correct me if I've omitted anything.

I dont mean to completely poo poo on Howard, nor do I mean to put over Kevin Smith to a serious degree. I just had to offer a counterpoint to: "Feh, who is he, what has he done? Bring in Lisa Lampinelli, Joan Rivers and later we'll have a phone call from Debbie Gibson and the Barbie twins!"

Actually, one thing I took from this was that both men peaked in the '90s and have never, ever gotten over it. Yeah, they've had a few hits here and there, but for the most part they're in the same boat: their biggest successes seem to behind them, they want but aren't able to transgress what they were (Stern with radio, Smith with films about directionless twentysomethings), and both have a affinity for toilet humor that is unparalleled but unable to really grow.

You would think they would have more things in common since they're both huge geeks.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Kevin Smith is one of the biggest loving babies on Earth.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

T. Finn posted:

I'M THE PRANKSTER! YOU WANNA gently caress?! I CAN gently caress!

Both men are awful.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Imagine Prince, Kevin Smith, and Howard Stern in the same room.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

burmart posted:

I'M THE PRANKSTER! YOU WANNA gently caress?! I CAN gently caress!

Both men are awful.

Most rich spoiled people with sycophantic fans are.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Smith wasn't a bad guest when he was on years ago, but he's since turned into a giant manchild who makes lame movies and can barely string together a coherent sentence. His latest Q&A videos are especially bad.

On the other hand Howard is a great interviewer so it could have been worth listening to anyway. I guess we'll never know.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

T. Finn posted:

This is true. He gets butthurt over anything and has no sense of humor when it comes to being made fun of, I love his early movie but he hasn't done anything since Dogma. Mallrats and Chasing Amy were only good because we were still basking in the glow of Clerks.

The DVD extras on his movies are the most unwatchable self-involved bullshit I've ever seen, and this is going into them as a 'fan'.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I am a pretty big Kevin Smith fan, and usually defend him, but he can be a bit over dramatic sometimes. His podcasts are really good. I recommend "Jay and Silent Bob get Old" Its mostly Jason telling stories about being addicted to heroin and the insanity that surrounded he and Kevin while trying to film movies with him strung out.

Maybe Howard got some advice from the shrink this afternoon.

"@ThatKevinSmith Not sure how we got in such a bad place. I've always been supportive or so I thought. I wish you the best."

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Just heard the Gary the Retard bit with the robber, man, they messed that up. I thought they would just give him the gun and do it a bit later to see what he would do. Howard just gives him the gun and tells him to shoot a robber that is going to come in.

That totally killed the bit. The fun should have been seeing how he would react, this was just him doing what he was told.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I missed most of the A.C. Slater interview, would like to have heard it.
As far as the segment with that Orly yenta, I would rather have heard the audio of the Orly>? Owl ripping apart a kitten. And I like kittens.

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I am a pretty big Kevin Smith fan, and usually defend him, but he can be a bit over dramatic sometimes. His podcasts are really good. I recommend "Jay and Silent Bob get Old" Its mostly Jason telling stories about being addicted to heroin and the insanity that surrounded he and Kevin while trying to film movies with him strung out.

Maybe Howard got some advice from the shrink this afternoon.

"@ThatKevinSmith Not sure how we got in such a bad place. I've always been supportive or so I thought. I wish you the best."

Kevin Smith had two tweets re: Howard as the show was going on:

"Via @bootchies "taking a beating on howard this morning" It's cool. I remain a fan. Listening to Howard taught me how to be candid & real."

"So sorry, @HowardStern - didn't mean to offend, always been a fan, thankful that listening to you for years helped shape my sense of humor."

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone else hear the commercial advertising Mammary Lane all next week? First time I can remember them actually stating vacation was coming up except for the History of Howard Stern stuff.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Howard is a better twitterer than a talk show host.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Djarum posted:

Anyone else hear the commercial advertising Mammary Lane all next week? First time I can remember them actually stating vacation was coming up except for the History of Howard Stern stuff.

Is there a holiday next week? Or is it just time for a vacation?

So did they just drop Mike Walker? I don't listen as religiously as I once had so maybe I'm missing it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

So did they just drop Mike Walker? I don't listen as religiously as I once had so maybe I'm missing it.

Not sure about the break, but Mike Walker seems to be gone. He hasn't been on once since December.

I don't think Howard has even mentioned it, unless I also missed it.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
If Mike Walker is actually gone then it's a true Hallelujah moment, his segment has been the scourge of the show for over a decade and only became funny once Artie/Richard/Sal started loving with him. gently caress off you pathetic gossip queen.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

If Mike Walker is gone, does that mean that the deal between Stern and the Enquirer is off?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a feeing that Mike Walker is gone because of the "new format" of the show. Since he's on the west cost, his segment would start after the 10:00 hour. Now that we are full on into news at that point there is no room for the bit and I don't think Walker wants to get up any earlier then he has to to tell his favorite Matt Dillon story.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

quote:

I don't think Walker wants to get up any earlier then he has to to tell his favorite Matt Dillon story.

It wouldn't be a problem if he told it real briefly.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I don't like the fact that he'll probably never be mentioned again. Howard is not honest with his audience and it bothers me.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Just stop after they finish telling the story about Jason getting clean. Because around the sixth or seventh episode of the podcast, it changes sharply from "Great stories about Jason Mewes fighting his drug addiction" to "I really wish Kevin Smith hadn't just told me that". If you've ever thought to yourself, "You know what I really need right now is a mental image of Kevin Smith in a recliner using a Fleshlight", this is the podcast for you.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Isn't the Enquirer having cash problems? Maybe they can't afford the segment anymore.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

I don't like the fact that he'll probably never be mentioned again. Howard is not honest with his audience and it bothers me.

Howard's never really been honest with his audience. Not even with when he's going on a vacation break. I remember being really disappointed when I first realized what a hypocrite he is. It wouldn't bother me as much if he didn't claim otherwise.

I could care less about Mike Walker and I'm actually glad he's not on anymore, but it's bullshit he'll probably never be mentioned again. But this is the way it always seems to be. No mention of Artie when he left. No mention of KC when he left. Granted, some of the stuff may have been sensitive at the time, but he could have said something to the audience, without revealing too much. Instead, it's like it never existed.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2011

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Do they still play his fart clip? I mean Mike Walker's clips are hilarious..

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Moniker posted:

President's Day I believe. It is a new week vacation that they just started taking a couple years ago out of the blue.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

President's Day I believe. It is a new week vacation that they just started taking a couple years ago out of the blue.

Is anybody else thinking that this may be the week they start taking Monday or another day off?

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Is anybody else thinking that this may be the week they start taking Monday or another day off?

Is this the week Howard finishes his late night promotion blitz? I figured right after that was over was going to be when he lost another day.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
He's on Jimmy Kimmel and Fallon in March

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Moniker posted:

He's on Jimmy Kimmel and Fallon in March

I would have paid for any of the interviews he did to hit him with his quotes about how only doing 4 days a week is ripping off your audience.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I've been wondering when he might make the change and start taking Mondays off - I am thinking this might be it. :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That was my thinking. Wasn't after the first vacation when they dropped Fridays?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

At least we can be comforted by the thought that when he goes to three days a week, the show will be so much better for it. They’ll all be able to concentrate all their best efforts and distill them into just three days. Gary will book some great guests, and Richard & Sal’s skits won’t be overplayed. Yeah, that’s the ticket! Right? Awww, who am I kidding?

What do you think the chances are that he’ll even mention taking the show down to three days a week? Or if he does mention it, it’ll probably be because Eric from Hoboken brings it up: They talk about it for three minutes and it’s never again discussed.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

quote:

They both force their audiences at gunpoint to give them a standing ovation? RT @ordinarykit Jay Leno and Egyptian Pres Mubarak are alike

Howard is loving hilarious on Twitter. He compels me to sign up on Twitter to get constant updates.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Howard is loving hilarious on Twitter. He compels me to sign up on Twitter to get constant updates.

It almost makes me feel as if he has help with his tweets. They're way too funny. I don't think he does, but I can't help but wonder sometimes. (Those times are when I actually laugh out loud at a Tweet.)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Moniker posted:

It almost makes me feel as if he has help with his tweets. They're way too funny. I don't think he does, but I can't help but wonder sometimes. (Those times are when I actually laugh out loud at a Tweet.)

But Howard is a real funny guy :confused:

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

Moniker posted:

Do you listen to the show at all? He's a funny dude. The medium doesn't matter. Funny is funny.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
yeah you guys are being a little nutty thinking other people are writing his tweets. The guy has all sorts of loving time, and what do you think...he has a team of writers to belt out his tweets?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Eric the Midget just posted something hilarious on SFN:

quote:

Well since Mutt STILL has not made me a full member so I can do this in my own drat thread I guess the only thing I can do is post it in here but Im not happy about this.

I made some notes so I can cover everything since I have things I have to do and cant be here all drat morning.
1. Mutt must take the angry midget status out of my status. You cant go innto peoples accounts and write whatever you drat want espeically if its cyberbullying. If Mutt wants to run this website than he has to know how to run it and not be a drat promoter for cyberbullying this is against the law and people are going to prison for it.

2. I have not been a full member even though Ive been posting on here and been waiting for loving ever. I told Mutt several times I want to be made a full member but he still didnt do poo poo about it along with putting poo poo in my status and ignoring my alert messages Im not going to put up with this poo poo. If he thinks that he can treat people like this and not do anything even though hes been told what to do MANY times than hes wrong.

3. People are on this site and are using my words int heir profiles even though I told them not to. These are my words and cant be used like this unless I give permission which I did NOT do. I already talked to a expert who told me that my words can be intelluctual property and if they are used without my permission than I can take those people to court. I told these jackasses on this website many drat times to take my words out of their profiles and they still have not listened Im begining to think that nobdoy on this whole drat website even has a brain. If people want to use my words than I will make it ok if you pay for it I have a paypal email address that you can send me the money to how much it cost is going to depend on what you want to use Ill determine how much its going to be. If you have any questions than ask me a question on here DO NOT email me.

3. STOP loving EMAILING ME I will not answer your email and Mutt knows better than to let people email me because I have a profile on here. If this poo poo doesnt stop Im going to leave this website and never loving come back.

4. I will open up my comment section on my profile again BUT if there are comments that are cyber bullying than I will delete them andy ou will probably be banned that will be determine by what you said. So dont say stupid poo poo or you knwo what will happen.

5. Do NOT write threads about me I f I see threads that are about me than I will have Mutt delte them or you will be given a time out , if they are threads that I think are cyber bullying.

6. I dont want certain in my threads when I make a thread and if I dont want someone coming in I need to be able to stop them from coming in. I will have a list made up eithier I can do it myself or if I have to send the list to Mutt I will do that to but I would rather do it my self since Mutt doesnt seem to answer any of my loving messages.

There is more I have to say but I have poo poo I have to do now I cant spend my whole drat day on here like the rest of you brainless retards Mutt make this a sticky and make sure everyone sees it and understands .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

yeah you guys are being a little nutty thinking other people are writing his tweets. The guy has all sorts of loving time, and what do you think...he has a team of writers to belt out his tweets?

Obviously it's Jackie writing the tweets for him because Jackie was the best part of the show gently caress Artie bring Jackie back