Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Is the AWD system on the E46 any good? What's it reputation for reliability?

I'm starting to think about replacing my Miata with a good mountain car for all my outdoor hobbies, and I'm looking for something capable on long, crappy dirt forest roads and snowy mountain passes, but that is still fun to drive and handles well (coming from a Miata, so my standards are high). The obvious contender is a WRX, but I want to consider other (nicer) options as well. It's not going to be for hardcore rallying or anything like that. The full-time 38/62 power distribution sounds promising on paper, but I haven't driven one myself.

I had an E34 several years ago so I'm well acquainted with BMWs in general, and I know a fair amount about E46s in general, too. But I don't know much about the AWD system, if it's actually any good, or if it's a maintenance/reliability nightmare.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Guinness posted:

I'm starting to think about replacing my Miata with a good mountain car for all my outdoor hobbies, and I'm looking for something capable on long, crappy dirt forest roads and snowy mountain passes, but that is still fun to drive and handles well (coming from a Miata, so my standards are high). The obvious contender is a WRX, but I want to consider other (nicer) options as well. It's not going to be for hardcore rallying or anything like that. The full-time 38/62 power distribution sounds promising on paper, but I haven't driven one myself.

I had an E34 several years ago so I'm well acquainted with BMWs in general, and I know a fair amount about E46s in general, too. But I don't know much about the AWD system, if it's actually any good, or if it's a maintenance/reliability nightmare.

e46 AWD is a gear driven transfer case with a 40/60 split. Mechanically it's as simple as you can get, but it doesn't offer the awesome limited slip viscous center diff you got from their older system. Not familar with xDrive so I don't know how it compares to that.

I believe the transfer case itself is sealed/"maintenance free".

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Got myself a nice new idle issue with my M42 318is.

The car starts and runs fine, but once I start getting into the normal running temp range, the car will surge and bog down, barely able to get over 2.5k rpms. It smells like it is running rich at this point.

If I try to come to a stop, the engine will die. I can immediately start it right up again and have a surging idle. Then if I get going again, it will bog and then die if I stop. I am guessing the extra vacuum draw from braking is causing it to die.

I tried unplugging the power to the idle control valve, and the idle went up and stopped surging. Then I plugged it back in again, and the idle was fine and I drove around the block without issue. I have had the ICV freeze up with moisture/ice before, but that does not seem to be the case here.

I have two other spare ICVs I can try out, but its just the waiting until operating temp that bothers me. Could this be an O2 sensor problem instead?

And of course it waited until one of the coldest days of the year to start acting up.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 11, 2011

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Guinness posted:

Only semi-related, but if you plan on taking an e46 off the asphalt... I was impressed by the underside of my e46, everything seems well protected and the exhaust is well tucked up under the car. The whole underside is pretty flat with nothing I wouldn't be afraid to scrape the underside if you were planning on taking it mildly off road, you shouldn't damage anything if you don't bang it too hard. It has a sump guard of sorts too. My only caution is that the fuel pump and filter is held up by a heatshield. It is pretty secure, but if you rip it off you might find yourself without fuel.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dyscrasia posted:

Got myself a nice new idle issue with my M42 318is.

The car starts and runs fine, but once I start getting into the normal running temp range, the car will surge and bog down, barely able to get over 2.5k rpms. It smells like it is running rich at this point.

If I try to come to a stop, the engine will die. I can immediately start it right up again and have a surging idle. Then if I get going again, it will bog and then die if I stop. I am guessing the extra vacuum draw from braking is causing it to die.

I tried unplugging the power to the idle control valve, and the idle went up and stopped surging. Then I plugged it back in again, and the idle was fine and I drove around the block without issue. I have had the ICV freeze up with moisture/ice before, but that does not seem to be the case here.

I have two other spare ICVs I can try out, but its just the waiting until operating temp that bothers me. Could this be an O2 sensor problem instead?

And of course it waited until one of the coldest days of the year to start acting up.

Your ICV is dead. Had this exact same problem with a 318 a buddy and I fixed up on the side for cash. Get one off of your favorite E30 site.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Ugh, gauges still dead. I soldered some new capacitors on (the old ones looked fine though) and put it all back together. Now my OBC beside my radio is displaying PPPP and I'm right back where I was. The PPPP is a clue though, apparently it can show that when the code plug on the back of the gauges isn't working properly. I'm going to reseat it and try again.

My backup plan is a new cluster from a local seller. Its the right colour (blue back) but I have no idea what kind of E34 its from. Its only $10 so at the very least I'll have somewhat working gauges even if the tach and economy meter is off.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Beach Bum posted:

Your ICV is dead. Had this exact same problem with a 318 a buddy and I fixed up on the side for cash. Get one off of your favorite E30 site.

Awesome, I had a feeling but its great to find someone with the same symptoms, I can make the swap when I get home from work. It was just that waiting till it was warm to have a problem thing.

Already have a working spare I can use.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Nah, not as good of a car as the Cayman from all accounts.

Would you still choose a Cayman S over a 997? They seem to be popping up below $50k now.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2205265767.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2206367760.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2208126984.html

- I mention this as I will be going through the same dilemma soon. My 02 E46 330i warhorse has served me well as the second owner for almost six years and she still drives new as I have replaced and/or upgraded nearly everything but someday.........either a 911 or E92 V8 M3. I lurk Rennlist so I am aware of the potential daisy cutter on your head potential of 911 maintenance.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 11, 2011

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Keyser S0ze posted:

Would you still choose a Cayman S over a 997? They seem to be popping up below $50k now.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2205265767.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2206367760.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2208126984.html

Now THAT is interesting. I haven't even looked at them, figured they would still be too high.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

wallaka posted:

I'm not sure if I want a smaller sports car or a car as large as a 5-series. I'll have around $25k saved up at the end of this month, and will willingly finance up to $20k, though I wouldn't necessarily want to pay that much. It would be my daily driver, I have a huge car if I need to carry something large.

Any thoughts?

There is also the 135is, err I mean 1 "M" coupe version of the 1 series that will be a bit on the smaller side (for a BMW).

I too was looking at upgrading M3s and decided against it. At the track it crushes, but it seems like you have to get it over 4000 for it to really come alive. A great weekend fun car, but not the best DD so I ruled it out. The next M3 is more than likely going to be twin turbo (ie more torque) and get much better gas mileage.

Comedy option 996 porsche twin turbo. Crazy fast, under $50K now.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
You guys are doing it wrong if you think the V8 M3 isn't a good daily. Half the fun of the car is winding up the motor, and it revs fast with the way the car is geared. The torque is also 100% available from about 2500 RPM.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Das Volk posted:

You guys are doing it wrong if you think the V8 M3 isn't a good daily. Half the fun of the car is winding up the motor, and it revs fast with the way the car is geared. The torque is also 100% available from about 2500 RPM.

I've seen the torque vs gearing wars on m3post. I certainly wouldn't complain about a v8 m3 daily. I just didn't think it was worth the money now to upgrade when I can just keep my car for a little while longer and get the TT version that will have much better fuel economy / low end torque (ie from 1200 rpm). There are no c63 owners posting "but look at the gearing" with regards to their torque.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Is there a reason why I should not get a E36 (that's 1995, right?) 318i? I'm taking a look at one today for $2000 at 147,000 km (roughly 92,000 miles). Guy's selling it since he lost his license and I figured, hey, that sounds like a decent deal.

I know it's 1.8L w/ 4 cylinders, but I'm looking for something to drive that's easier on gas than my current truck (yay). My wife was worried about parts costing a lot of money since true bmw parts only.

On that topic, are there any problems w/ the 318i model that I should check for?

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 12, 2011

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'd find out why he lost his license first, but the E36 318 is slow as balls iirc.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

The Third Man posted:

I'd find out why he lost his license first, but the E36 318 is slow as balls iirc.

DUI is the most likely one but I'll probably ask.

How slow are we talking because I'll be coming off a 3.0L V6 standard to 1.8L I4 auto (wife doesn't like driving a stick).

e: realized that was a really dumb question. To put it in aspect, I've owned a 2.0L (iirc) I4 auto plymouth sundance and I4 (forgot rest) toyota echo so I'm kinda ok w/ slow cars.

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 12, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quaint bucket posted:

DUI is the most likely one but I'll probably ask.

How slow are we talking because I'll be coming off a 3.0L V6 standard to 1.8L I4 auto (wife doesn't like driving a stick).

A Honda Civic is faster. It's not a poo poo car but it's not worth 2k either (assuming USD).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Realjones posted:

I've seen the torque vs gearing wars on m3post. I certainly wouldn't complain about a v8 m3 daily. I just didn't think it was worth the money now to upgrade when I can just keep my car for a little while longer and get the TT version that will have much better fuel economy / low end torque (ie from 1200 rpm). There are no c63 owners posting "but look at the gearing" with regards to their torque.

I honestly don't understand the argument - people complain about torque, but for example I have had no trouble keeping up with an E63, so it's not like the car is any slower for it. I don't find myself bogging across an intersection or what have you. I like it for the same reason I like the original M3; it's a small displacement, high revving motor with a great soundtrack. If I really wanted another big displacement motor I would have bought a GT500. I think the point people miss is that it's about personal preference for your power delivery, rather than a problem.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

revmoo posted:

A Honda Civic is faster. It's not a poo poo car but it's not worth 2k either (assuming USD).

CDN, how much do you think it's really worth tho? I think the guy had it on craigslist for maybe a month or so. I was planning on offering 1500 or 1700 for it if I ended up liking it.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Das Volk posted:

I honestly don't understand the argument - people complain about torque, but for example I have had no trouble keeping up with an E63, so it's not like the car is any slower for it. I don't find myself bogging across an intersection or what have you. I like it for the same reason I like the original M3; it's a small displacement, high revving motor with a great soundtrack. If I really wanted another big displacement motor I would have bought a GT500. I think the point people miss is that it's about personal preference for your power delivery, rather than a problem.

Yeah 2500 RPM is pretty low. Nobody is ever cruising around at 1200 RPM so why does it matter if the power is available down low like that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Trip report: 2011 128i

While my car is getting fixed, the dealer gave me a 2011 128i as a loaner, for free. Some notes:

- I've driven a 135i and it was stupid quick. The 128i also feels stupid quick. I would be comfortable daily driving it as long as I got the manual. The automatic isn't very good and the manual mode is a bit slow.

- Two carseats fit fine in the back (though the reverse-facing one requires the passenger seat to be all the way forward and to sit bolt upright... my wife has short legs thank god). They're not at all difficult to get out.

- I miss having the window controls in the center console. They're harder to get to on the door.

- Sure enough, no oil dipstick. Now what will I do while I get gas?

- The car is very comfortable though the ergonomics are a little odd. Some of the buttons on the steering wheel are not clear as to what they do (though this woulod be solved by reading the user manual, of course) and the cruise control stalk cannot be seen behind the steering wheel without craning one's neck. Minor nitpickings, though.

- No cupholders in the backseat. I can understand only two in the front, but backseat passengers like to have cupholders. Instead there's large trays in the middle for phones or something.

In short, I can't wait for them to come down in price so I can afford a used one. Coming from my 200k mile E36 it's quite sublime.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ozziegt posted:

Yeah 2500 RPM is pretty low. Nobody is ever cruising around at 1200 RPM so why does it matter if the power is available down low like that.

If I recall correctly your E46 doesn't hit peak torque until 3500, you better go trade it in right now for a CTS-V so you have enough displacement that you can lug the engine everywhere you go.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

quaint bucket posted:

Is there a reason why I should not get a E36 (that's 1995, right?) 318i?

For just a little bit more you can get a 328 that's six cylinder, MUCH faster, will still do close to 30mpg on the highway, and won't cost that much more (if anything) in maintenance.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quaint bucket posted:

CDN, how much do you think it's really worth tho? I think the guy had it on craigslist for maybe a month or so. I was planning on offering 1500 or 1700 for it if I ended up liking it.

1500 is probably a fair price if it's in decent shape. Hold out for a six cylinder car though unless you don't care at all about the drive and only want good fuel economy (in which case don't buy a BMW).

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

revmoo posted:

1500 is probably a fair price if it's in decent shape. Hold out for a six cylinder car though unless you don't care at all about the drive and only want good fuel economy (in which case don't buy a BMW).

325/328 are kinda rare up here and usually go for at least 4800 to start and have twice the milage on them to boot. When I'm talking about fuel economy, I'm talking about not driving a truck that eats fuel, really. I was kinda a little surprised that fueleconomy.gov shows the 6cyl and 4cyl have pretty close fuel consumption because I went with the impression that it would be the opposite.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ozziegt posted:

Tbh, I would love to putter around at 1000 RPM if a motor could take it. I wonder if an Aston with a V12 could do it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quaint bucket posted:

325/328 are kinda rare up here and usually go for at least 4800 to start and have twice the milage on them to boot. When I'm talking about fuel economy, I'm talking about not driving a truck that eats fuel, really. I was kinda a little surprised that fueleconomy.gov shows the 6cyl and 4cyl have pretty close fuel consumption because I went with the impression that it would be the opposite.

Look at E30's then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

quaint bucket posted:

The 6 doesn't have to work as hard to push around a vehicle that is pretty much the same weight, hence better MPG's.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I've got an older E39, and would like to install a set of OEM "angel" lights. Is it as easy as just popping the old lights out, and putting the new ones in, or are there any differences in dimensions with the newer lights?

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

awesome-express posted:

I've got an older E39, and would like to install a set of OEM "angel" lights. Is it as easy as just popping the old lights out, and putting the new ones in, or are there any differences in dimensions with the newer lights?

Direct fit physically, but you'll need a wiring adapter to hook up the angel eyes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The 6 doesn't have to work as hard to push around a vehicle that is pretty much the same weight, hence better MPG's.

Yeah its worth noting that the E36 is like 3,200lbs and a 130hp engine is pretty weak to push around that kind of weight through a RWD setup. That said my boss has a 4 cylinder E36 5 speed and loves the hell out of it. Has no problems with the lack of power but she isn't exactly a demanding driver.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

What exactly is a demanding driver because in my mind, that's someone who's looking to take on a heavy load in the trunk or pulling a trailer/skidoo/boat.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

quaint bucket posted:

Is there a reason why I should not get a E36 (that's 1995, right?) 318i?

Something else to consider is that if you do your own maintenance, a 318i is arguably easier to work on due to the increased space in the front of the engine bay combined with the use of an electric fan rather than belt-driven. You also don't have to worry about VANOS issues (since you won't have it!).

Not sure how true this is, but I've heard they also tend to run cooler, resulting in the coolant system plastic and rubber failing less often. At 92k miles I'd still take a close look at it though.

Try to find out the exact year of the car, you'll have noticeably fewer headaches the higher you go. Part prices are pretty much in-line with most other cars as long as you don't buy from the dealer, aside from the odd thing (on my 318i, the equivalent of a PCV valve is $50+!).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

quaint bucket posted:

What exactly is a demanding driver because in my mind, that's someone who's looking to take on a heavy load in the trunk or pulling a trailer/skidoo/boat.

I see demanding driver being expecting more out of a car than the average person. IE Get up to 0-60 fast, thrashing it into a corner, taking their dally driver to the track, those kinds of things. That would be half of AI.

I can imagine that 318i would be more fun in an E30 than an E36.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just scored a professionally remanufactured E34 gauge cluster board from a local eBay seller for one penny + shipping. No one else put a bid in and the seller was clearing old stuff from his shop with no reserve. All proceeds going to a charity.

I'm conflicted because its a smoking deal but now I feel like I've ripped off a charity. :smith:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

CornHolio posted:

- No cupholders in the backseat. I can understand only two in the front, but backseat passengers like to have cupholders. Instead there's large trays in the middle for phones or something.

Americans. :lol:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

jesus, I need 11 cupholders AND an X-Box 360 with 4 LED's flatscreens, fish tanks massage chairs, stripper pole or FAIL!

j/k

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pilsner posted:

Hey, I'm just sayin'. They're passengers and they inevitably bitch about having to hold their drinks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Real BMW's don't have cupholders until they get in the car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

You bastards should be thankful you even have cupholders up front. The most BMW was willing to do with the E34 was "the trough". I can fit a small Tim Hortons coffee in there safely:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

8ender posted:

You bastards should be thankful you even have cupholders up front. The most BMW was willing to do with the E34 was "the trough". I can fit a small Tim Hortons coffee in there safely:

I get these bad boys :smugbert:

They are as worthless as they look. They fold down into the glove box lid. :wtc: I guess they're for use when stationary only.

I also have "the trough" though, so I guess there's that. 8ender, I don't know if the trough in the E34 is the same size as the one in the 8 series, but if it is, the Euro Junior fits perfectly in the well. gently caress putting a Big Gulp in there, but it works well for a medium size or smaller fast food cup or can, and falls squarely into the "better than nothing" category. I guess you can permanently mount it if you want, but mine just sits in there, and definitely won't tip over. I don't remember where I got mine, but this is one thing they should have in the "assorted car trash" aisle in Walmart / Target type places.