Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

So I only just got around to hearing about Outcasts. I'm thinking it has potential, we already know it isn't like the deep so just gotta hope it doesn't end up like Defying Gravity (the last 'epic' BBC sci-fi which nobody else has remembered). Personally I'm pretty pissed there hasn't been a complete serious sci-fi since B5 (haven't seen BSG yet). I would say gently caress the kid too but we seem to have a paedo on the loose...

Fatkraken posted:

it crashes in the loving lake innit

If that's a reference to Pandorum I love you!

By the way if anyone remembers the end Ashes to Ashes you may recall that Daniel Mays was 'coincidentally' shooting in South Africa when the last episode aired (to avoid being lynched). Guess this was it!

Edit: Comments on the BBC are great:

"President: We decided to call this planet Carpathia. I can't remember the whole story but I think if they'd had more life boats...
Ship's Captain: We don't have enough life boats!
President: If only the planet namers had spoken to the ship designers..."

"A religious mystic who will no doubt attempt to turn Carpathia into a religious state, a baby whom he would abhor as a product of man's playing at god and the outcasts themselves who could be the salvation or death of the new civilisation "

"So far in the first two episodes 9 of the 10 main characters have either committed murder, attempted murder or conspired in murder. This is not an exaggeration. Of the one main character who has not, he engages in casual sex and takes drugs."

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Defying Gravity was cancelled almost before it had started. But that's what happens when you try and sell America "Gray's Anatomy, but in space".

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Brooker's TV ruined your life was more or less a re-run of a screenwipe segment , yeah, updated to 2011 this time presented by charlie brooker's hair. Made me chuckle a fair few times, he is more suited to this that his channel 4 stuff.

Looking forward to civillisation in HD, hopefully on iplayer in HD.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fallon posted:

Last night's TV Ruined . .. was identical to Brooker's piece from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw

No it wasn't.

LE0N posted:

Brooker's TV ruined your life was more or less a re-run of a screenwipe segment , yeah, updated to 2011 this time presented by charlie brooker's hair.

A-bloo loving bloo.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goatface posted:

Defying Gravity was cancelled almost before it had started. But that's what happens when you try and sell America "Gray's Anatomy, but in space".

It's what happens when you fill a sci-fi show with tedious, pointless drama.

After 8 or so slowly, plodding episodes, it ended on a huge reveal of "here's the magic object we've been hinting at for the last few months"; the next episode (i poo poo you not) was all about the emotional journey of a relatively minor character back on earth for when she discovered it.

gently caress Defying Gravity and gently caress Outcasts. There's a dangerously low volume of sci-fi content on TV and churning out this kind of bollocks only puts people off trying to make any more. :colbert:

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 10, 2011

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

justcola posted:

Is human planet any good? I thought it would be a good direction for the nature documentary to go after planet earth and blue planet. Maybe a documentary about life in the higher atmosphere.

They had Tom Baker do the answer phones for BT a while ago. Maybe they can use the same technology to make the Attenborg.

It's very good. Of all the animals on the planet man is the most ingenious and widespread, so we deserve a decent nature show about ourselves. It's fascinating to see the diversity of human life covered in the traditional nature documentary style rather than the more 'go native' format of Bruce Perry or Ray Mears (both of whom are great).

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No it wasn't.

A-bloo loving bloo.

He admits that it is on his Twitter page.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Brooker's effectively been promoted and now he's repackaging his stuff for a wider audience. I don't think it's such a big issue, even as someone who's watched every *wipe episode.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Really, he couldn't do a complete review of how TV influences you without inspirational TV. If anything the fact that he has not changed his opinion makes me respect him more and I thought the newer stuff was good and showed that things have only become worse.

I thought that US show with the two way mirror was another one of the shows interpretations of a real show and was actually feeling ill when I realised that it wasn't.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm personally in favour of it. Brooker is an excellent TV critic, and if he can make more people even slightly more critical of the dreck that's on TV then that can only be a good thing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Daimo posted:

If that's a reference to Pandorum I love you!

nope, never even heard of it I'm afraid. It just seemed like a thing that would happen

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!
The only problem with this week's How TV... was a distinct lack of the actor Kevin Eldon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
And Barry Shitpeas :(

Such an understated genius.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Ddraig posted:

And Barry Shitpeas :(

Such an understated genius.

Hey man sometimes the director's just gotta direct.

Also the second episode of Outcasts was better because they got rid of that loving kid banging on about tigers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Local Group Bus posted:

Really, he couldn't do a complete review of how TV influences you without inspirational TV. If anything the fact that he has not changed his opinion makes me respect him more and I thought the newer stuff was good and showed that things have only become worse.

I kept hoping for a seriously aged man to suddenly step into the 'box' and gravely point out that it wasn't a two way mirror infront of them just air and then a big sigh behind those people lighting up displaying two arrows pointing down at them and in bright green neon letters stating TERRIBLE HUMAN BEINGS HERE.

It didn't happen sadly :(.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

nope, never even heard of it I'm afraid. It just seemed like a thing that would happen

Its a film about a colonisation ship sent from a doomed earth, that lands in an ocean.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's obvious now that How TV Ruined Your Life is a Screenwipe remix for the 'terrestrial' channels. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Seeing someone take the reduced offer on The Chase makes me much angrier than is really healthy. Especially if the reduced offer is a negative amount.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Charlie Brookers Twitter posted:

Will be doing Gypsy Weddings, Top Gear & multiculturalism on tonight's 10oClockLive...

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Brooker's effectively been promoted and now he's repackaging his stuff for a wider audience. I don't think it's such a big issue, even as someone who's watched every *wipe episode.

What's the draw, then? I'm a massive Brooker fan, but if I've already seen these on Screenwipe, Newswipe and/or You Have Been Watching, then why am I supposed to watch How TV Ruined Your Life?

I guess maybe it's for people who didn't watch any of his other shows. Okay. Thanks, Charlie?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For me, the repeated content is still interesting enough and the additions funny enough that it's still well worth watching. Also, I feel the show benefits from the way it focuses on a single idea the whole way through. I mean, this stuff may have been covered before, but I don't remember it being this in-depth.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 10, 2011

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
The draw is that they are presented as more of a narrative about a certain section of TV than screenwipes scattershot approach of this ad sucks, here are some telly-pricks, and don't you hate TV in the morning with all those grinning tossers, oh and here is a cartoon and some soaps.

It's allowing expansion on some of the ideas by narrowing the focus down to what an influence TV is rather than just what pisses him off. Also he doesn't really get in there and tear away at people on TV as much which might have something to do with him saying that it's weird to have met people he slagged off before.

By the nature of the beast it's not going to be fresh and full of new ideas. Television really isn't, I think that is kind of his thesis on how television is produced, but it does allow him to expand on some ideas he probably thought needed more time dedicated to.

We've had screenwipe, newswipe and an episode of gameswipe. I think the 'wipe format has probably shown him that a more serious look at what TV does to you was in order. Brooker has always been funny, but there has been serious intent underneath it all along and I think he is honing that sharper here.

As much as I miss the silly little bits I rather like how on message each individual episode has been.

Edit: Yep, as above.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do the BBC manage to cock up their homepage so often?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

For me, the repeated content is still interesting enough and the additions funny enough that it's still well worth watching. Also, I feel the show benefits from the way it focuses on a single idea the whole way through. I mean, this stuff may have been covered before, but I don't remember it being this in-depth.

Yeah it's more in depth and also updated. The UK version of super sweet 16 wasn't on the original Screenwipe episode for example. They have taken something that was only a shortish segment on the original and expanded it to fill a full episode and it works well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the 10 o'clock show is having a massive last minute re-write as Egypt staggers towards one angry gunman away from a civil war.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I don't like Jimmy Carr's suit.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Metrication posted:

I don't like Jimmy Carr's suit.

One-button arrogance.

Although I think 10 o'clock live is actually pretty excellent, and should be on every week forever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know about you guys but I think Jimmy Carr just outdid Brooker for laughs with Bankers in Need.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

slotbadger posted:

One-button arrogance.

It's the shawl lapel that I really don't like.

I thought Jimmy Carr's sketch thing was funny but I'm getting a bit bored with banker bashing now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Metrication posted:

I thought Jimmy Carr's sketch thing was funny but I'm getting a bit bored with banker bashing now.

Nobody should ever stop banker bashing.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
"The problem with Richard Hammond, he doesn't know when to stop."

Amazing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
YES. More people need to be exposed to Rastamouse.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Douglas Murray is perhaps the most annoying Conservative in this country. Jesus loving H. Christ. Why do they keep putting him on Question Time?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

I'm getting a bit bored with banker bashing now.

People like you are why they get away with this poo poo.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

YES. More people need to be exposed to Rastamouse.

Stupid hypnotic show. I was babysitting and it was on. At first I was boggled, then I was enthralled. There needs to be more stop-motion mice on our tellies.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

marktheando posted:

Nobody should ever stop banker bashing.

Yeah but it's such an easy target, bit like the Daily Mail as well.

I still have absolutely no idea what the big society is.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

Something about volunteering? I think it's just more bollocks.

e: Well, that was a load of shouting and I still don't have a clue what they were talking about.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 10, 2011

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Metrication posted:

The Daily Mail deserve everything they get. It's a loving horrible, right-wing, homophobic and racist waste of paper. If I were homeless, I wouldn't even use it to keep me warm at night.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
While I actually agree with this Johan fellow on the panel discussion, I can't help but dislike this segment. With the audience present, who I imagine will be made up of liberal people (due to the nature of the hosts and content of the show), it means that just about every Tory that is in a panel discussion never even has a chance to get out of the starting blocks because the liberal panellist only has to say one thing and the crowd practically laugh the Tory off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Who the gently caress is this Tory oval office?