Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
No one watch Mad Dogs? That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Port of Dover thing is a loving joke. They're talking about the locals buying it. The 40,000 locals. The 40,000 locals buying a port estimated to be worth £500,000,000.

It's never going to loving happen, but they have to keep pushing it so they can blame the locals for not wanting to buy it when it gets privatised anyway.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Doakes posted:

I would have, but Rupert Murdoch can suck my cock.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

N3RDSTER posted:

While I actually agree with this Johan fellow on the panel discussion, I can't help but dislike this segment. With the audience present, who I imagine will be made up of liberal people (due to the nature of the hosts and content of the show), it means that just about every Tory that is in a panel discussion never even has a chance to get out of the starting blocks because the liberal panellist only has to say one thing and the crowd practically laugh the Tory off.

I think they've tried to counter that by putting two tories in each debate? Or at least two people from the 'right'. They basically did the same last week with the BT guy defending the government's forest thing.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, to be fair, the guy who said he was actually working with people actually got a proper, thought out point across after I'd posted that.

Gotta say, Rastamouse looks pretty hilarious. "A reggae mouse that solves mysteries" - Brilliant.

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.
"We've inherited a crock of..."
"And Ed Milliband is for it too!"

What is neoliberalism?

That shout off was a bit rubbish and big society is just code for privatization.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Zorba the Greek posted:

The Daily Mail deserve everything they get. It's a loving horrible, right-wing, homophobic and racist waste of paper. If I were homeless, I wouldn't even use it to keep me warm at night.

Hey I'm not a fan either, people like Melanie Philips are utterly vile. I just think it's way too easy for someone to say "ho ho daily mail reader" and expect a big laugh.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Woot, first time a 10 o Clock live didn't feel rushed! Could use an extra 5 mins for round table bullshitting though, could watch it all day.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Flatscan posted:

People like you are why they get away with this poo poo.

Calling all bankers a bunch of greedy cunts isn't a substitute for proper financial regulation.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Metrication posted:

Hey I'm not a fan either, people like Melanie Philips are utterly vile. I just think it's way too easy for someone to say "ho ho daily mail reader" and expect a big laugh.

Yeah, I see your point. Using it for comedic effect is ridiculous but if you want to bash it for the right reasons then hell, you can't blame someone for doing so!

Jesus Christ this GUY. This Douglas Murray guy is so goddamn annoying. I wanna rip his bloody head off.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

Calling all bankers a bunch of greedy cunts isn't a substitute for proper financial regulation.

True, but ignoring the fact that they're a bunch of greedy cunts comes across as tacit approval of their actions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kulex posted:

That shout off was a bit rubbish and big society is just code for privatization.

With the added bonus for Politicians to point the finger of blame at Society for messing up.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

goatface posted:

YES. More people need to be exposed to Rastamouse.

Rastamouse is the best thing.

Got The Hunger Ted
Feb 22, 2007
I really like Tony!

Doakes posted:

It was great! That, House, 30 Rock and 10 O'Clock Live make for a Sky+ nightmare though.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Watching 10 o Clock Live now on +1, what in the gently caress is Rastamouse? It looks like the single greatest thing in the world.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Zorba the Greek posted:

Watching 10 o Clock Live now on +1, what in the gently caress is Rastamouse? It looks like the single greatest thing in the world.

Watch them all now:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yfn03

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I can't decide if I like Episodes or not. It's started laying on the drama pretty thick, and no one other than Joey is really that funny (and he was barely in the latest episode).

I think part of the problem is we are meant to be sympathising with Tamsin Greig's character, but I actually find her a little annoying. It's hard to make a character likeable and funny when they are pissed off the whole time.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kulex posted:

What is neoliberalism?

evil

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

le chat posted:

evil

or 'privatise privatise privatise!'

the wiki article covers it although it lacks the derision necessary when discussing such things

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

Yeah but it's such an easy target, bit like the Daily Mail as well.

I still have absolutely no idea what the big society is.

They're an easy target because they caused a bloody recession, took our money and are trying to prance around like the king shits they were when they were secretly loving us up the arsehole.

They're doing everything they can to get out of their huge, fucktardedly stupid mistakes with as few repercussions being brought against them as possible and the Tories are doing their damndest to let them.

So nah, lets not ease up on them yet because they loving deserve it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kin posted:

And all the people who have the power to do something don't give two shits.

Incidentally it's pretty loving vile that the Daily Star is supporting the EDL's move into becoming a political party. And even more worrying that the Daily Star's the same company as Channel 5 is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

They're an easy target because they caused a bloody recession, took our money and are trying to prance around like the king shits they were when they were secretly loving us up the arsehole.

They're doing everything they can to get out of their huge, fucktardedly stupid mistakes with as few repercussions being brought against them as possible and the Tories are doing their damndest to let them.

Riiiight, it's not like international markets had anything to do with it, no sir. Let's keep simplifying things to have clear villains.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

Riiiight, it's not like international markets had anything to do with it, no sir. Let's keep simplifying things to have clear villains.

All that means is that the cuntitude of bankers transcends nationality.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

People like you are why they get away with this poo poo.
People who like to not just keep hearing the exact same joke over and over? I don't really see how that's related to financial regulation, but ok.

Kin posted:

Well off middle class comedians repeating "hey, what about those greedy bankers, eh?" on TV certainly will teach them the error of their ways, and hit them where it hurts.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 11, 2011

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Seeing someone take the reduced offer on The Chase makes me much angrier than is really healthy. Especially if the reduced offer is a negative amount.

Oh my goodness I am so glad I'm not the only person who enjoys The Chase. I dunno why I do, I just.. do. I'm terrible at quiz shows and rarely get a question right, but it honestly feels so loving tense when the chaser just BARELY catches them in the final chase that I can't help but enjoy it.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
I'd like to see the chasers appear on Eggheads and just obliterate the lot of them. I do like The Chase.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

fuf posted:

I can't decide if I like Episodes or not. It's started laying on the drama pretty thick, and no one other than Joey is really that funny (and he was barely in the latest episode).

I think part of the problem is we are meant to be sympathising with Tamsin Greig's character, but I actually find her a little annoying. It's hard to make a character likeable and funny when they are pissed off the whole time.

I was making this exact point to a friend the other day, i was kind of cheering him on because she does nothing but whine the entire time. I do like the show, though, i just wish it would make up its mind what genre it wants to be.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Bishy posted:

I'd like to see the chasers appear on Eggheads and just obliterate the lot of them. I do like The Chase.

I imagine as soon as the Eggheads were introduced the chasers would be over there splitting skulls and trying to cram the yolky goodness into their gaping maws.

I've only seen The Chase a couple of times but it's a strangely enjoyable quiz show. I like the setup, with that immense ogre of a guy sitting on high and belittling the hapless contestants below him. I'm sure he's a nice chap and the intimidation is all part of the act, but it's a great format for a quiz.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FreakyZoid posted:

People who like to not just keep hearing the exact same joke over and over? I don't really see how that's related to financial regulation, but ok.

Well off middle class comedians repeating "hey, what about those greedy bankers, eh?" on TV certainly will teach them the error of their ways, and hit them where it hurts.

Presenting shows watched by a range of wealth demographics. You think all news presenters are barely keeping themselves off the dole line each week? Is that the reason you think people should stop watching the news?

With the government and bankers continually trying to unjustly sway away negative public opinion, i don't think you quite understand (not only a point of the show) but the effect of having well off popular middle class comedians reminding everybody that no, the bankers are actually cunts.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

MisterLizard posted:

I imagine as soon as the Eggheads were introduced the chasers would be over there splitting skulls and trying to cram the yolky goodness into their gaping maws.

I've only seen The Chase a couple of times but it's a strangely enjoyable quiz show. I like the setup, with that immense ogre of a guy sitting on high and belittling the hapless contestants below him. I'm sure he's a nice chap and the intimidation is all part of the act, but it's a great format for a quiz.

I was lucky enough to be on this back in its first series. We easily got caught by Shaun in the final round, but it was really fun. They are nice off camera, which is some consolation - even Mark is. I'm glad it got picked up for further series.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Metrication posted:

I still have absolutely no idea what the big society is.

The whole Big Society thing is a crock of poo poo. I used to work in the voluntary sector for an organisation providing support for volunteers and volunteer engaging organisations so I've seen the outcome of trying to get the community to take on projects like Community Centres. For it to be successful you need to have a LOT of support from people with an in depth understanding of how to run these sorts of places, but of course with all the cuts in the public sector there's not enough support available.

The thinking behind passing the running of community assets to the community rather than being in local authority hands is that they can tap into funding opportunities that statuatory bodies can't access. But filling in grant application forms can be nightmarishly complicated, the grant making bodies are swamped with applications so there is a huge amount of competition and the largest of the funders - Big Lottery Fund - is tied into funding the lottery and is turning away 8 out of 10 applications at the moment.

Then finding the volunteers to run the asset is hard as well. The constitution of the groups will generally require a board of directors of at least 9 people and that's before finding volunteers to run the actual service. From what I've seen in a small community you'll end up with a few people with the skills needed being on at least 4 boards of directors for different groups, a load of people that sign up but shouldn't be allowed within 100 feet of any kind of management group, and a couple of councillors who need to look like they give a poo poo about the community but don't bother turning up to meetings.

I was on a board of directors for a Social Enterprise and it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. I left after one of the employees of the Youth Club that ran in the centre took inappropriate pictures of children, but because they were also on the board of directors all that happened was that they were asked to not do it again.

Sorry, massive derail but this Big Society thing really annoys me, the only way the government could get it to work would be to pump a lot of money into training and support of volunteers and that's not going to happen.

I thought David Mitchell was a lot more confident in his interview with the Lib Dem guy.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

dog days are over posted:

Oh my goodness I am so glad I'm not the only person who enjoys The Chase. I dunno why I do, I just.. do. I'm terrible at quiz shows and rarely get a question right, but it honestly feels so loving tense when the chaser just BARELY catches them in the final chase that I can't help but enjoy it.

Yesterdays was the closest I've seen so far - less than a second to go before he caught them! I admit I was on the edge of my seat for that one.

e: I hope Anne's voice holds up during the final chase :ohdear:

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So watching the final current series of Red Dwarf, sort of wishing they worked better on the writing more as I do like the concept of the crew all being revived but being stuck rear end end in the middle of nowhere in space.

gently caress that dodgy looking CGI though.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A while back I linked a short programme by Tom Wriggleworth on radio 4 regarding his experience with Virgin rail, I seem to remember a few people liked it. Anyway, it obviously went down well as he's got a series now, it's much the same sort of content but dealing with different organisations each show. it's on the second episode (sorry, forgot to link it last week) which is about power suppliers. Worth a listen in you have 30 minutes spare.

Tom Wrigglesworth's Open Letters

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone who thinks Kevin from Eggheads wouldn't destroy all of the Chasers is so wrong. Some of the other Eggheads (I'm looking at you Judith and CJ) aren't great, but Kevin is the loving daddy. Man knows so much about the world he can pretty much deduce any answer he doesn't know (which is rare because he knows EVERYTHING).

I'm pretty gay for Kevin.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Royality posted:

Anyone who thinks Kevin from Eggheads wouldn't destroy all of the Chasers is so wrong. Some of the other Eggheads (I'm looking at you Judith and CJ) aren't great, but Kevin is the loving daddy. Man knows so much about the world he can pretty much deduce any answer he doesn't know (which is rare because he knows EVERYTHING).

I just can't watch Eggheads because Kevin looks SO MUCH like my old teacher. It's bloody creepy.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Royality posted:

He is my favourite by far. I think the best thing about him is, that unlike the other Eggheads, he doesn't sit there and patronisingly explain how he eliminated all the other options, he simply gives the answer he thinks is right. Which is a breath of fresh air compared to the other wankers on that show.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Jekub posted:

A while back I linked a short programme by Tom Wriggleworth on radio 4 regarding his experience with Virgin rail, I seem to remember a few people liked it. Anyway, it obviously went down well as he's got a series now, it's much the same sort of content but dealing with different organisations each show. it's on the second episode (sorry, forgot to link it last week) which is about power suppliers. Worth a listen in you have 30 minutes spare.

Tom Wrigglesworth's Open Letters
The Virgin rail one was excellent as was this one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Eggheads would be better if the Egghead team weren't thrown obviously easy questions as a way of rigging the game.

Also if someone explained to CJ that he isn't some sort of super genius, he's an oily, weird looking twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
And then hit him with a hammer.