Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't know how that happened.
Edit:

lilljonas posted:

How much pressure can you get through this? It sounds like a cool idea and would probably cost about as much as the makeshift vibrating table I was planning to make until I can afford a professional vacuum pot. I'm guessing I would need a one-way vent as well, and somehow attach it to the box I use? I'm just not sure how this rig would look like, since I'm far from the handyman kind of guy.

Not a lot.
Should be cheap, there's no need for a valve, just glue/silicone seal a flanged tube through the wall of the box, slightly smaller than the mouth of the vacuum cleaner, plug the vacuum into the port, switch it on, the pressure differential should keep it in place. If you can combine this with the vibrating table you can get good results.

As a bonus, when not in use it'll just be a big box with a hole in it you can store stuff in.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Random modeling things I've found on the net:

1. Vallejo has an entire line of paints dedicated to the *crewmen* of WW2 armored vehicles.

2. Some genius in Canada has a site selling image vector decals for every aircraft the Canadian forces has ever used, in any trim.

big_g posted:

I just managed to finish and base my Spitfire, what do you guys think?

I like it. 1/32? Where did you get the base?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Random modeling things I've found on the net:

1. Vallejo has an entire line of paints dedicated to the *crewmen* of WW2 armored vehicles.

2. Some genius in Canada has a site selling image vector decals for every aircraft the Canadian forces has ever used, in any trim.

I like it. 1/32? Where did you get the base?

Its the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit and I got the base from here.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Hey guys,

I just recently picked up this hobby and would like to show off my first model.

Grumman F4F-4
Awaiting one final clear coating

Finished

Its been about a month since I finished this one and am about half way through my second project a Mitsubishi Zero.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hypnotized posted:

Finished

Its been about a month since I finished this one and am about half way through my second project a Mitsubishi Zero.

Nice. I must do my usual thing and ask about that nice weathering you did. Drybrushing?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Thats really really nice. You've done that silver scratching on free hand haven't you?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice. I must do my usual thing and ask about that nice weathering you did. Drybrushing?

big_g posted:

Thats really really nice. You've done that silver scratching on free hand haven't you?

Thanks guys. The weathering was done with a silver ink pen. Then I did a couple flat black washes over the plane to sort of dull it a bit.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Hypnotized posted:

Thanks guys. The weathering was done with a silver ink pen. Then I did a couple flat black washes over the plane to sort of dull it a bit.

That's a great idea; hadn't thought of it before. Some of these WWII planes got a lot of paint chipped off during use (Japanese planes in particular are famous for this because they didn't bother to repaint them), and opinions vary on the best way to capture that. I've mentioned salt weathering before but I've never tried it myself.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

That's a great idea; hadn't thought of it before. Some of these WWII planes got a lot of paint chipped off during use (Japanese planes in particular are famous for this because they didn't bother to repaint them), and opinions vary on the best way to capture that. I've mentioned salt weathering before but I've never tried it myself.

The silver ink pen was pretty simple and I liked the result.

Here are some more pictures of that build.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I've made a Tamiya PAK40, as well as a stand with a bunch of sandbags on it. The sandbags turned out more like bricks, but it still looks more or less decent.

Click here for the full 1296x976 image.

Click here for the full 1296x976 image.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

After quite enjoying the spitfire I bought a BF109 1/32 kit. This is how its looking so far. I've since given it a weak black wash and done the canopy its nearing on finished.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

big_g posted:

After quite enjoying the spitfire I bought a BF109 1/32 kit. This is how its looking so far. I've since given it a weak black wash and done the canopy its nearing on finished.

Looks good, I want to try doing a BF109 sometime.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When I was a kid, German WW2 aircraft I always avoided, since they always had paint schemes that required a airbrush. Fun fact about the ME 109: the cockpit is so restrictive that there is barely enough room for a pilot to turn his head sideways.

The Hind is painted, and not so far from done. The canopy was a bit of a bodge; the kit is made so that they really really expect you to leave the cockpit exits open, and there are fitting issues. I think I should just face facts that I kinda suck when it comes to clear bits. I have the special canopy glue, but they always seem to come out messier then I want. Help is appreciated.

I also used my airbrush to paint a freehand camo scheme, I think it turned out well.

I still need a water filter, but thanks to old man winter it is usually not a problem.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

When I was a kid, German WW2 aircraft I always avoided, since they always had paint schemes that required a airbrush. Fun fact about the ME 109: the cockpit is so restrictive that there is barely enough room for a pilot to turn his head sideways.

The Hind is painted, and not so far from done. The canopy was a bit of a bodge; the kit is made so that they really really expect you to leave the cockpit exits open, and there are fitting issues. I think I should just face facts that I kinda suck when it comes to clear bits. I have the special canopy glue, but they always seem to come out messier then I want. Help is appreciated.

I also used my airbrush to paint a freehand camo scheme, I think it turned out well.

I still need a water filter, but thanks to old man winter it is usually not a problem.

Its looking smart and good so far. What are you plans for next steps? Good job on the airbrushed cammo.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think I should just face facts that I kinda suck when it comes to clear bits. I have the special canopy glue, but they always seem to come out messier then I want. Help is appreciated.

I like to dip all my clear bits in Future floor wax
http://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-11182-Pledge-FutureShine/dp/B000ARPH4C

It is acrylic based and a couple dips in this stuff makes those clear plastic pieces look like glass. When I do the cockpits I also like to put a drop on the individual instrument panels then when it dries it gives it the look of glass over the panel.

Edit:

When I have finished weathering I actually coat the whole thing in Future (its thin enough to put directly in my airbrush) as a sealant then add the decals. When the decals have set I mix a little tamiya flat base in with more future and give the whole model another coat. It seals the whole thing against dust and with the flat base mixed in it gives it a nice weathered semigloss appearance.

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 10, 2011

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Future Floor Wax is the BOMB for scale modeling:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

The use suggestions start halfway down the page.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll be definately picking up some future.

big_g posted:

Its looking smart and good so far. What are you plans for next steps?

Thanks. I did some touching up on the paint (cleaning the airbrush properly is a pain.) Then I'm going to assemble all the little subsystems that have been left off so far.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
A few months ago, I posted some in-progress shots of an RC Chris-Craft boat I was making. I'm nearly done and quite pleased with the results.

I still have to hook up the motor to the drive shaft, attach the windshield and flag, and add some custom decals. It passed the bathtub floating test last night. :)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lord, that's just lovely. Was this thing built from scratch or did you at least get the metal bits in a kit?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

That boat is absolutely gorgeous, you need to take some shots of it passing its bath tub test.

This is my latest build a Dragon Panzer IV.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Great armour plating! Did it come in the kit or did you make your own?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Great armour plating! Did it come in the kit or did you make your own?

It came with the kit I just beat it up a bit and left a few panels off. Going to slap the first coats of paint on today time permitting.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

big_g posted:

It came with the kit I just beat it up a bit and left a few panels off. Going to slap the first coats of paint on today time permitting.

Isn't it easier to paint some parts before finishing the assembly? Are some bits there going to come off for that?

Anyway, if anyone wants a nice big detailed plane for not much money I recommend the Revell 1/32nd Arado 196. It only costs about £25 and it's a brand new kit. Nearly finished mine.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Anyway, if anyone wants a nice big detailed plane for not much money I recommend the Revell 1/32nd Arado 196. It only costs about £25 and it's a brand new kit. Nearly finished mine.

I like the livery color. Some post war search and rescue option?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hypnotized posted:

The silver ink pen was pretty simple and I liked the result.

Here are some more pictures of that build.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you darken the panel lines and *then* put a low-opacity layer over to give the effect of natural graduations? I totally want a tutorial for this effect dude.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I like the livery color. Some post war search and rescue option?

Nah, it's from Tintin.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you darken the panel lines and *then* put a low-opacity layer over to give the effect of natural graduations? I totally want a tutorial for this effect dude.

Its called Pre-shading I believe. Try google for some tutorials.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

Its called Pre-shading I believe. Try google for some tutorials.
The internet agrees with you. I have to try this out now.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lord, that's just lovely. Was this thing built from scratch or did you at least get the metal bits in a kit?

Thanks. The entire thing is built from a kit. I got it from here. The kit comes with everything except the motor, ESC, and receiver equipment. Some of the metal bits in the kit were of low quality, so I ended up getting some better ones from a second hand source. You also have to buy decent quality epoxy resin which is fairly expensive too.

This type of wood planking + resin finish is a ton of fun though. It's an incredibly satisying process.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Hello everyone, here's some shots of where I am with the Panzer IV. Cammo and decals on. I'm going to give it a dark pin wash and then a light drybrush before detailing and doing the tracks. What do you guys reckon?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey dudes, been lurking in this thread a bit. Pretty nice stuff!

Ive been eyeballing some mech models and stuff like that, was just wondering if any of you guys assemble any of that funky japanese sci fi stuff.

I saw some of those nazi mech things a few pages back, those are cool as heck. Im not really a fan of anime or anything, but I am gay for giant robots. Post me some giant robots.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Macross Saga spawned some nice kits of comparatively simple robots. You can occasionally get them on Ebay for insane prices.

big_g posted:

Hello everyone, here's some shots of where I am with the Panzer IV. Cammo and decals on. I'm going to give it a dark pin wash and then a light drybrush before detailing and doing the tracks. What do you guys reckon?

That's a pretty tank. What brand of paint are you using? I still can't do German camo for poo poo.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

The Macross Saga spawned some nice kits of comparatively simple robots. You can occasionally get them on Ebay for insane prices.
That's a pretty tank. What brand of paint are you using? I still can't do German camo for poo poo.

I use Vallejo mainly but have started using the Tamiya acrylics for the airbrushed cammo. I've started using some home made oil washes as well which is new.

Do you airbrush your german cammo or use normal brushes?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Normal brushes so far, because my airbrush isn't good enough to handle anything but the basecoat at 15mil and I haven't had the cash or time to invest in a better one yet. I'm going to give masking fluid a go next week and see about layered sprays ti see if that works.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Normal brushes so far, because my airbrush isn't good enough to handle anything but the basecoat at 15mil and I haven't had the cash or time to invest in a better one yet. I'm going to give masking fluid a go next week and see about layered sprays ti see if that works.

15mm? Is that Flames of War by any chance?

I've only got the cheapest badger brush but the biggest difference for me was when I got a compressor and stopped using the lovely compressed air canisters. That turned what I thought was a the crappest of the crap airbrush into something quite decent.

You can still achieve decent cammo on 15mm with a normal brush though in my opinion.

I did some Tigers a while back. the very front two are airbrushed and the rest just done with Vallejo paints and brushes. I think they look okay for the scale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, FoW. I'll have to get around to getting a compressor someday, but right now the time and effort required is more than I can spare. I'm barely getting any painting done at all anymore, and even less playing to justify the painting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive been eyeballing some mech models and stuff like that, was just wondering if any of you guys assemble any of that funky japanese sci fi stuff.

I saw some of those nazi mech things a few pages back, those are cool as heck. Im not really a fan of anime or anything, but I am gay for giant robots. Post me some giant robots.

There was a thread in ADTRW a while ago that was everything you ever wanted. Those mech guys are just like scale modellers, except that the kits are really really expensive.

Also, finished my Mi-24. Will post pics presently. Also big_g I really like your camo job but suspect that getting the tracks done properly is going to be a royal pain.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Nebakenezzer posted:

There was a thread in ADTRW a while ago that was everything you ever wanted. Those mech guys are just like scale modellers, except that the kits are really really expensive.

Also, finished my Mi-24. Will post pics presently. Also big_g I really like your camo job but suspect that getting the tracks done properly is going to be a royal pain.

ah gently caress now I have to read ADTRW :pcgaming:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PaintVagrant posted:

ah gently caress now I have to read ADTRW :pcgaming:

Oh the thread is right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, that and our stuff doesn't really exist so arguments about "authenticity" of markings and paint jobs pretty much never happen.