Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.justice.govt.nz/fines/fines/what-happens-if-i-dont-pay

http://www.justice.govt.nz/fines/fines

Just pay it, it's not worth the headaches that could come from not paying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Another TV tuner question:

I need an IR blaster, is there any reason not to purchase a cheap one off the internet (since no real store seems to stock them)?

Also, if I have a commonly-used settop box (Scientific Atlantic 8240), odds are that whatever software I use will be able to find the IR code on its own, right?

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 10, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

yoohoo posted:

I just recently returned from being abroad in New Zealand and while I was there I apparently got a speeding ticket for 12kph over the limit in a rental car. They mailed me the ticket (I live in the US) and say I have 28 days after January 13th to pay the ticket. I've been debating whether or not I want to pay it (it's $80NZ so around $60USD) and am curious as to what could potentially happen to me. I do plan on returning to NZ in the future, but not for at least a few years. Any help is appreciated.

From the New Zealand Police website under "How do I pay a infringement fee from overseas?": If the fee is not paid by the due date, the infringement will be referred to New Zealand Courts for fines enforcement. Arrangements may be made with New Zealand Courts for subsequent payment, which may include on-line payments using credit card details. Additional fees will be imposed by New Zealand Courts.

If you are returning this will come back to bite you in the rear end, New Zealand is pretty tough with its road rules.

Plus, you know, you did speed. Don't be a douche and own up.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 10, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Pogo the Clown posted:

This should forever be the answer to anyone wanting to know how to dodge a speeding ticket.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Pogo the Clown posted:

From the New Zealand Police website under "How do I pay a infringement fee from overseas?": If the fee is not paid by the due date, the infringement will be referred to New Zealand Courts for fines enforcement. Arrangements may be made with New Zealand Courts for subsequent payment, which may include on-line payments using credit card details. Additional fees will be imposed by New Zealand Courts.

If you are returning this will come back to bite you in the rear end, New Zealand is pretty tough with its road rules.

Yeah I know I should but I hate those loving speed cameras. If a cop doesn't pull me over I shouldn't get a ticket :argh:

Thanks for the info, I'll pay it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

kimbo305 posted:

What's terrible is that people (including me) somehow deride smoother motion as somehow cheap video. A cheap camera isn't one that can do that kind of framerate well.

I actually wrote a paper on this effect back in college, and I think it's more deeply rooted than the fact they we were "used to 24 frames per second" or "conditioned to like it for that reason."

Movies are about escapism, generally. The allow us to separate from reality for a couple hours, and go on a journey that we normally wouldn't be able to experience with the characters.

The 24 fps conundrum is that the movement it creates is just enough to allow persistence of vision, but not enough to cause us to associate it with "reality" (like video cameras or news broadcasts, etc.)

There were a lot of frame rates tested back in the early 1900s, and most films were shot at 18 fps up to a certain point. While I'm sure the decision for everything to go to 24 fps was probably at least a little arbitrary, I'm sure there was a certain level of experimentation that allowed them to arrive at that number.

So while higher frame rates or refresh rates may technically be "better" in the sense that they're delivering a crystal clear, highly viewable image, they aren't acceptable in the realm of motion picture because they snap us out of our dreamlike ability to disconnect and start questioning the reality of the movie we're watching.

That was the gist of my paper, at least. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel about it.

</ FILM GEEK>

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Wyatt posted:

This should forever be the answer to anyone wanting to know how to dodge a speeding ticket.

You don't have to be sneaky about it, just contest it*. In my experience, the only criteria for getting a speeding ticket thrown out is to just show up in court. Most judges i've seen in traffic court (three out of four) just throw out anything under 25 mph over the speedlimit

E:*I mean in general. The guy with the NZ ticket should just pay it.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 10, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I actually wrote a paper on this effect back in college, and I think it's more deeply rooted than the fact they we were "used to 24 frames per second" or "conditioned to like it for that reason."

Movies are about escapism, generally. The allow us to separate from reality for a couple hours, and go on a journey that we normally wouldn't be able to experience with the characters.

The 24 fps conundrum is that the movement it creates is just enough to allow persistence of vision, but not enough to cause us to associate it with "reality" (like video cameras or news broadcasts, etc.)

There were a lot of frame rates tested back in the early 1900s, and most films were shot at 18 fps up to a certain point. While I'm sure the decision for everything to go to 24 fps was probably at least a little arbitrary, I'm sure there was a certain level of experimentation that allowed them to arrive at that number.

So while higher frame rates or refresh rates may technically be "better" in the sense that they're delivering a crystal clear, highly viewable image, they aren't acceptable in the realm of motion picture because they snap us out of our dreamlike ability to disconnect and start questioning the reality of the movie we're watching.

That was the gist of my paper, at least. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel about it.

</ FILM GEEK>

The most important reason they did 24 fps was that it did a good balance between capturing motion, and not having a creaky all mechanical film delivery mechanism break under high speeds. You may have seen what it looks like when someone has to load up a projector with the actual finished film too, imagine that being 25% bigger!

Sure nowadays its all on digital storage except the final film print for older theaters, so its easy to forget, but being able to ensure you could shoot a decent amount of time on a reasonable size reel was a big deal.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Not to mention the old nitrate stocks were so flammable that they would catch on fire if the camera assistant had a slight fever that day. I'm kind of sad I'll never see a camera literally catch on fire from friction.

By the by, as someone who occasionally has to do rotoscoping and animation, I much prefer animating 24 frames rather than 60+, being that I am generally a lazy person.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know where i can find this sweet plastic fangs shirt Jay Reatard is wearing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qCcdl-OJ8&feature=related I've been scouring the internet for a while and the comparable shirts i can find suck.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 10, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone know where i can find this sweet plastic fangs shirt Jay Reatard is wearing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qCcdl-OJ8&feature=related I've been scouring the internet for a while and the comparable shirts i can find suck.

If Jay Reatard was wearing it the chances of finding the same exact shirt online are probably pretty slim.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did that guy make his own shirts or something? He always had the best t-shirts and I've never seen them anywhere else. I'll make it if I have to.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

NESguerilla posted:

Did that guy make his own shirts or something? He always had the best t-shirts and I've never seen them anywhere else. I'll make it if I have to.

He may as well have. He was very much a supporter of DIY stuff, so chances are if you see him wearing a shirt with a graphic on it, it was made by a local or very indie printer.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I have a huge collection of files organized in a complex directory structure. There's a ton of duplication in them. For example, I might have two directories called, "Fall 2010 Lesson 1" with very similar files, but one is just a later version of the other.

What I need to do is go through every single one, and if the directory name is the same, merge the two directories based on modification date/time. Is there a good tool to do this?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

There's a bartender at a place near me that has that exact shirt. I'll ask him where he got it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fishmech posted:

Sure nowadays its all on digital storage except the final film print for older theaters, so its easy to forget, but being able to ensure you could shoot a decent amount of time on a reasonable size reel was a big deal.

SO stupid question about digital films for theaters:

What is it delivered to the theatres in/on?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

SO stupid question about digital films for theaters:

What is it delivered to the theatres in/on?

One of the most common ways is a physical package consisting of several large hard disks that gets hooked up to the digital projector system. Another way is to have each digital projector networked on a high-speed LAN to a central server for the theater where the films are stored on disk, having been placed on the server either by way of adding hard drives from the movie studios (which get returned to be reused) or by being downloaded over the internet from special secure servers.

Sometimes, a theater may even receive a digital movie by way of DVDs or Blu-Ray discs, of non-standard types.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

One of the most common ways is a physical package consisting of several large hard disks that gets hooked up to the digital projector system.

Why several; are they redundant? Large, physically, or in capacity?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Disharmony posted:

What I do is suck it right up and use my tongue to press the bottom. However, after I remove it, it seems to reset to factory mode.

Do I need to do anything else after getting a good imprint?

You can squeeze the U-shape of the 'legs' of the mouthguard inward to be more like this: /_\
That will help it cling more to your teeth.

Ideally you want the mouthguard to be hotter than you can bear, just so it's really soft. To counter this, drink some really cold water right before and leave a film of it on your teeth and tongue, which you can use to press in the insides of the guard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Very Strange Things posted:

Why several; are they redundant? Large, physically, or in capacity?

Large as in high capacity. Sometimes there's several to be redundant, sometimes there's several just to fit the whole movie. Depending on what specific encoding they do, a 2 hour movie can be between 300 gigabytes and 1.4 terabytes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Movie question reminded me to ask, in what format/quality do radio stations have their music?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

How do refunds work in paypal? Some stupid idiot sent me 300 dollars.

The payment was "held" and disputed by the guy immediately and I told paypal through the resolution center how i will refund the dude forthwith because i never asked for any money and I am not a seller or merchant of any kind.

Now it asks me to resolve the matter by choosing
1."I have shipped the item and I can provide proof that the item was
shipped through an approved shipper to the address on the Transaction
Details page."

2."I have not shipped the item and I will refund the payment."

3."I have refunded the payment for this transaction."

The obvious choice is two but then the page warns me i need funds in my balance to repay him. But im obviously not going to use my own fuckin money to refund a transfer that's on hold in paypal's intertubes. Is it safe to just hit "refund" or will it take money from my credit card and shaft me?

ps: I already sent a letter to paypal asking the same thing but expect SA forums to respod faster.

pps: I didnt make a new thread because i just wanna know if refunds are safe or if i'm about to get scammed.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

fishmech posted:

Large as in high capacity. Sometimes there's several to be redundant, sometimes there's several just to fit the whole movie. Depending on what specific encoding they do, a 2 hour movie can be between 300 gigabytes and 1.4 terabytes.

Why aren't these leaked more? They're on a hard drive. Everything can be cracked when it's out of the hands of the distributor. Do you know of the details of the security surrounding these hard drives?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

Why aren't these leaked more? They're on a hard drive. Everything can be cracked when it's out of the hands of the distributor. Do you know of the details of the security surrounding these hard drives?

Pretty hard to distribute and display highly DRMed media in an uncommon format that has very few copies in existence.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Dudebro posted:

The identity of the cinema is encoded into the audio and video in various hard to remove ways.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

augias posted:

How do refunds work in paypal? Some stupid idiot sent me 300 dollars.

The payment was "held" and disputed by the guy immediately and I told paypal through the resolution center how i will refund the dude forthwith because i never asked for any money and I am not a seller or merchant of any kind.

Now it asks me to resolve the matter by choosing
1."I have shipped the item and I can provide proof that the item was
shipped through an approved shipper to the address on the Transaction
Details page."

2."I have not shipped the item and I will refund the payment."

3."I have refunded the payment for this transaction."

The obvious choice is two but then the page warns me i need funds in my balance to repay him. But im obviously not going to use my own fuckin money to refund a transfer that's on hold in paypal's intertubes. Is it safe to just hit "refund" or will it take money from my credit card and shaft me?

ps: I already sent a letter to paypal asking the same thing but expect SA forums to respod faster.

pps: I didnt make a new thread because i just wanna know if refunds are safe or if i'm about to get scammed.

I wouldn't do anything at all. My bf says he would delete all your financial info (credit card, bank account, etc) from your paypal and then hit refund to make sure it isn't taking your money.

Honestly, it is that guy's mistake. Paypal can handle it. Don't feel pressured to respond now by the situation.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Sounds about right, i hadn't taken that perspective. thanks. Ill wait for paypal's reply and do nothing until they figure it out.

augias fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 11, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

john mayer posted:

I wouldn't do anything at all. My bf says he would delete all your financial info (credit card, bank account, etc) from your paypal and then hit refund to make sure it isn't taking your money.

Honestly, it is that guy's mistake. Paypal can handle it. Don't feel pressured to respond now by the situation.

I agree with most of this. I wouldn't do a thing honestly. Its dudes own stupid fault he sent you money by mistake, let him sort it out. By ignoring it the dude will either get his $300 back or you will get to keep is $300. Win win.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Loopyface posted:

There's a bartender at a place near me that has that exact shirt. I'll ask him where he got it.

Hell yes. Please do!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

A Violence Gang posted:

Movie question reminded me to ask, in what format/quality do radio stations have their music?

It varies wildly from station to station, some are using DATS, some are using CDs, some are using harddrives. I don't remember the BPS, but the quality is usually a bit better than most radios can pick up (especially on AM since a lot of big markets are broadcasting in AM stereo even though radios that supported it were very rare until recently), although with HD radios starting to become more common in general you're closer to hearing exactly what the station is putting out.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Is vegetable juice like V8 actually good for you?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I could've sworn there was a semi-recent thread on cell phones but I checked and couldn't find it. I really don't know much about cell phones so I thought it would fit in the thread for stupid questions.

Basically, I'm on my mom's phone plan with AT&T. Our contract is up this month, so we're in the market for new phones (we have Samsung Eternities). She was looking at the StraightTalk phones. I asked my boyfriend since he sold cell phones working at RadioShack for a year. He said ultimately prepaid phones are more expensive (unless you get the most basic bare-bones type phone). While I would looove to get a Samsung Captivate, I'm also interested in saving my mom money. She already handles a lot for me financially so I like to do everything I can to save her some cash.

I like the Eternity just fine, but I wish it had better internet, games, and camera. I'm not the type who's always fiddling around on their phone and I'm not a big talker, so it's not important it be super fancy.

So my questions are...
1. Are prepaid phones really more expensive, ultimately?
2. If so, what would be a decent, least expensive phone with AT&T (or Verizon) that can still have an unlimited data plan, texting, and such?
3. My mom considered putting both of us on my sister's plan with Verizon. Would all three on one plan save money, or is Verizon more expensive?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

PlasticPaddy posted:

V8 specifically has a shitload of sodium and a fair amount of sugar, but otherwise yeah. They make a low sodium version as well though.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

PlasticPaddy posted:

Ehhh, you're better suited by drinking water and eating right. Juice is pretty much just sugar and loses the main benefit of veggies by having the fibre stripped out. Eat a moderate amount of veggies of varying colours.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skizzles posted:

So my questions are...
1. Are prepaid phones really more expensive, ultimately?
2. If so, what would be a decent, least expensive phone with AT&T (or Verizon) that can still have an unlimited data plan, texting, and such?
3. My mom considered putting both of us on my sister's plan with Verizon. Would all three on one plan save money, or is Verizon more expensive?

I know a couple people who use Virgin Mobile and they seem to really like it. $40 a month gets you 1200 minutes per person and unlimited text and data with no contract, or $25 bucks for the same plan with 300 minutes. You know, if you don't actually talk to people.

The downsides are that you have to buy a phone from them (unlocked phones won't work) and they're kinda crappy - $200 will get you either a Samsung Intercept, which is on the low end of Android phones, or a Blackberry Curve. They also have cheap barebones phones, but who wants those? Oh and also you're on the poo poo end of Sprint data service; it's great for talking or text, but the data throughput can get crappy at times. Virgin is a Sprint prepaid company, which means that contract customers have priority somewhere in the network's inner workings.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a free service where I can upload a music file, and someone/some program can figure out where it came from, and what the name is? The lyrics are in Russian, and im not sure what kind of song it is. Theres no data on the music file, aside from a gibberish alphanumeric filename.

I can provide a public drop box if you guys want.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 11, 2011

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Avocadoes posted:

Is there a free service where I can upload a music file, and someone/some program can figure out where it came from, and what the name is? The lyrics are in Russian, and im not sure what kind of song it is. Theres no data on the music file, aside from a gibberish alphanumeric filename.

I can provide a public drop box if you guys want.

I've had good luck with the auto-tag feature in Winamp for this sort of thing, although I've done very little with non-English tracks. Just open the file, right click on it in the playlist window, click "View file info", and click on the "Auto-Tag" button on the bottom right hand side of the "Basic Info" tab.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Skizzles posted:

I could've sworn there was a semi-recent thread on cell phones but I checked and couldn't find it.

There's an entire subforum dedicated to (mostly) cellphones.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

chachu posted:

Ehhh, you're better suited by drinking water and eating right. Juice is pretty much just sugar and loses the main benefit of veggies by having the fibre stripped out. Eat a moderate amount of veggies of varying colours.

I won't argue that drinking water and eating vegetables is the better path, but V8 does have 2g of fiber per 8 oz. serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So about the expiration date on cold medicine. Does it just mean it may not work as well if you take it after the date or that you're going to slip into a coma and die if you take it?

I found the answer in case anyone else was wondering: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 11, 2011