Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Arquinsiel posted:

I find them to work well for the large mechs. Generally people I get backstabed by try to get right in behind me so they can kick the full body table if I go down, the medium-pulses tend to make them suffer for the effort at least a bit.

Going in close on a backstab is never worth it - the target numbers will almost always be better a little further out, plus you expose yourself to less risk.

The best flankers in L2 tech are things like the Wraith - IS Large Pulses are excellent for fast movers, if utterly useless for every other machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kenlon posted:

The best flankers in L2 tech are things like the Wraith - IS Large Pulses are excellent for fast movers, if utterly useless for every other machine.

The Sagittaire begs to differ - and has just blown off your left torso. IS LPLs suck, but until they decided you couldn't aimed-shot pulse lasers, they had a role beyond things like the Wraith (which is annoying yet great).

As to that rule change regarding T-Comps and Pulse Lasers, I was witness to what may well have helped the developers realize why that was a bad idea. At one of the canon events at Origins years ago, the scenario designer put a 1 Gunner in a Masakari C. On one side of a bridge. As a defender. Fifteen or so turns later, there were two dead Heavy Stars (including two Daishi) with very small, very deep holes in the torso.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I got them, I'm working on the update now.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Merry Marauder posted:

The Sagittaire begs to differ - and has just blown off your left torso. IS LPLs suck, but until they decided you couldn't aimed-shot pulse lasers, they had a role beyond things like the Wraith (which is annoying yet great).

The Sagittaire is pretty terrible. It it pretty easy to render into a decent mech, though - replace both LPLs with PPCs. Same weight, same heat, better damage, and actual range. The stock Sagi is a death trap anywhere but in a city. (Where, admittedly, it's one of the most terrifying machines around.)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

I got them, I'm working on the update now.

hooray, I can't wait to see what happens, this thread is so much better if you imagine duncan fisher narrating it. Especially when you imagine his hilarious tirades of how good a medium mech pilot he was.

"Hello, this is Duncan Fisher, and I'm bringing some Mexicano Mech action today! The Capallen Death Commandos have to face off against the ballet of mechs that are the Camacho's Caballeros. They might not be able to hit the broad side of an Atlas but they can dance with one at the prom!"

edit:

"You know mech fans, I'll have to say something about the Rifleman, it's a good heavy, but lacks the armor that some medium mechs have. You know what i would do? Swap out some of those lasers and put more AC 5's my favorite weapon. It's durable, long range and packs a punch when you need it."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kenlon posted:

The Sagittaire is pretty terrible. It it pretty easy to render into a decent mech, though - replace both LPLs with PPCs. Same weight, same heat, better damage, and actual range. The stock Sagi is a death trap anywhere but in a city. (Where, admittedly, it's one of the most terrifying machines around.)

I've done exactly that on occasion, but I think wooded terrain like this scenario's map are also well-suited to its design. Not quite as good as cities, obviously, where it's -3 to hit and just jumped behind you.

Re: Duncan Fisher, if they get Mech 5 off the ground, I want him to be the briefing/tac officer. Some Merc unit somewhere must've had the bright idea to hire a Solaris announcer to do that sort of thing. I wonder how long he lasted before he got fragged.

\/ You don't want to fire all those. His point is that instead of the LB10, with his loadout you get the same 10 damage plus the ability to do more damage inside MLAS range, or overheat in desperate situations, all without ammo considerations. This is the same issue that confronts people first seeing Clantech and saying "why doesn't everything have 2 ERPPCs and 7MPLs?".

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 10, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Hob_Gadling posted:

You could mount 2 standard PPCs and 6 medium lasers. The only thing you lose is crit-seeking ability at long range (which you'll lose after 10 shots anyway): otherwise, you'd match and surpass the average performance of LBX autocannon. No ammo dependency, no worries of a freak crit taking out half your firepower. 2 ERLL and 8 mediums with a couple heat sinks would allow you to outrange the opposition and overwhelm him at close range, if you want to go that route.

So, uhh.

How are you going to fire all those.

I mean, depending on weight you can easily get the tonnage for the extra 20 DHS to handle the heat from that monster salvo, but good luck actually fitting the criticals in.

The first one's actually possible, mind, but still, you're spending 10 tons on DHS to handle the heat.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 10, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

effing double post.

So how about them old shadowhawks?

If they're making an ununseen mini, I can't wait, because the current one is pretty awful, if only for that really badly proportioned autocannon muzzle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hostage Situation: Tactical Update 4

Movement Phase
La Dama Muerta uses Distracting Tirade (needs 6, rolls 1)
Hostage Killed
Scout Sapper uses Pyrotechnics on D1 Warhammer
D1 Warhammer must make a movement test or fall! (base 4): rolled 7, succeeds!
D3 Cataphract runs to 1515 (5 hexes)

Combat Phase:
ST Hunchback fires Medium Laser at D4 (5 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 4 range = 12): rolled 6, miss!
ST Hunchback fires Medium Laser at D4 (5 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 4 range = 12): rolled 10, miss!
ST Gains 7 heat, sinks 13

F Catapult fires LRM 15 at D4 Blackjack (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 8): rolled 8, hit with 9 missiles! Hit center torso (13/18 armor remains), hit left arm (0/12 armor, 5/7 structure remains)! Critical Chance in left arm!
F Catapult fires LRM 15 at D4 Blackjack (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 8): rolled 7, miss!
F Catapult gains 11 heat, sinks 15!

SS Rifleman holds fire
SS Rifleman gains 1 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 0

Sw Wolverine fires large laser at D2 Vindicator (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods(x2) = 7): rolled 9, hit left torso (8/16 armor remains)!
Sw Wolverine fires medium laser at D2 Vindicator (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods(x2) = 7): rolled 6, miss!
Sw Wolverine fires medium laser at D2 Vindicator (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods(x2) = 7): rolled 7, hit right leg (13/18 armor remains)!
Sw Wolverine fires SRM 6 laser at D2 Vindicator (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods(x2) = 7): rolled 11, hit with 3 missiles! Hit left leg (16/18 armor remains), hit left leg (14/18 armor remains), right arm (12/14 armor remains)!
Sw Wolverine gains 18 heat, sinks 14! Now at Overheat 4!

FY Lancelot fires PPC at D4 Blackjack (4 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 9): rolled 9, hit right arm (2/12 armor remains)!
FY Lancelot fires Large Laser at D4 Blackjack (4 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 9): rolled 8, miss!
FY Lancelot fires Large Laser at D4 Blackjack (4 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 9): rolled 3, miss!
FY Lancelot gains 28 heat, sinks 26! Now at Overheat 2!

D2 Vindicator fires PPC at Sw Wolverine (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods (x2) + 1 minimum range = 9): rolled 8, miss!
D2 Vindicator fires medium laser at Sw Wolverine (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 2 light woods (x2) = 8): rolled 11, hit left leg (12/19 armor remains)!
D2 Vindicator gains 15 heat, sinks 16

D3 Cataphract fires AC 10 at Sw Wolverine (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 7, hit right torso (10/20 armor remains)!
D3 Cataphract fires PPC at Sw Wolverine (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit center torso (13/25 armor remains)!
D3 Cataphract gains 15 heat, sinks 16

D4 Blackjack fires AC 2 at F Catapult (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 7): rolled 10, hit left torso (17/19 armor remains)!
D4 Blackjack fires AC 2 at F Catapult (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 7): rolled 4, miss!
D4 Blackjack gains 5 heat, sinks 11!

End Phase
D4 Blackjack sustains 2 critical hits in left arm!
D4 Blackjack Shoulder Actuator destroyed! D4 Blackjack Autocannon 2 destroyed!
D4 Blackjack must make piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5 ): rolled 9, succeeds!
Sw Wolverine must make a piloting test or fall (2 base + 1 massive damage = 3): rolled 9, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
No physical combat takes place

End Phase:

“Fast bastard,” Bobby said through gritted teeth as Skinwalker rocked beneath him. His current ride wasn’t the first ‘Mech he’d piloted, and he didn’t expect it to be the last, but he didn’t want to lose it today. The Capellan Cataphract had come out of nowhere, nosing around the edge of the woods to sneak in a clear shot at his right side.

Bobby briefly considered withdrawing, then grinned a wolfish grin. “Bring it, you Capellan fuckers,” he growled to himself. “I’ll payback, with interest.”

“... Goddamn it,” Divot called over the comms, “I just picked up three Capellan helos--30 tons, those've gotta be Karnovs!”

“They're trying to escape with the kids,” Engine Joe growled. Bobby didn't think that likely. Easier to just kill the kids and have done with it--every Caballero would declare vendetta and offer no quarter to the Capellans on the planet, but... they'd do that anyway, now. No quarter was just the way Bobby liked it.

Enemy Forces
D1 WHM-6L Warhammer
D2 VND-1R Vindicator
D3 CTF-1X Cataphract
D4 BJ-1 Blackjack
I1 Capellan Militia
I2 Capellan Militia
I3 Death Commando Infantry
I4 Capellan Militia
V1 Heavy Wheeled APC (MG Variant)
V2 Zhukov Heavy Tank
V3 Goblin Medium Tank
V4 SRM Carrier
K1 Karnov UR Troop Transport
K2 Karnov UR Troop Transport
K3 Karnov UR Troop Transport

Turn 5 OpForce Movement:
D1 Ran to 1109 (4 hexes)
D2 Jumps to 1116 (4 hexes)
D4 Jumps to 0913 (2 hexes)
I1 Remained Stationary
I2 Rides V1
I3 Debarks into 1210 (0 hexes)
I4 Rides V1
V1 Flanked to 1108 (2 hexes (movement costs doubled, not on pavement))
V2 Cruised to 1114 (3 hexes)
V3 Remained stationary, debarked troops (0 hexes)
V4 Remained Stationary
K1 Karnov UR Troop Transport flanked to 0102 (17 hexes, height 5)
K2 Karnov UR Troop Transport flanked to 0301 (17 hexes, height 5)
K3 Karnov UR Troop Transport flanked to 0303 (17 hexes, height 5)
D3 Waiting to Move

Mission Objectives
19/20 hostages remain!
Rescue the Hostages or Bury them

SS “Lil’ Sure Shot” RFL-3N Rifleman
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 6/6 (3/3)
LT A(S): 15/15 (14/14)
LT R A(S): 2/2
CT A(S): 22/22 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 4/4
RT A(S): 15/15 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 2/2
LA A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
RA A(S): 15/15 (10/10)
LL A(S): 12/12 (14/14)
RL A(S): 12/12 (14/14)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Annie Sue Hurd
Mechwarrior Player: Tempest_56
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
AC5 – RA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 18, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
AC5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: -, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands or lower arm actuators—may not punch, may fire arm-mounted weapons into rear arc.

S2 Scout Snipers
Platoon(4/4)
Type: Sniper
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Player: Tempest_56
Movement MP: 1
Range: 6 hexes
Notes: May snipe or double-tap at infantry or vehicles. Arrives in ??? turns.

St “Stubby” HBK-4G Hunchback
Weight: 50 tons (Medium Class)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 26/26 (16/16)
CT R A(S): 5/5
RT A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RA A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
LL A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
RL A(S): 20/20 (12/12)
Heat Sinks: 13
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 5
Mechwarrior Name: Andre “Clueless” Norris
Mechwarrior Player: Polaron
Armament:
AC20 – RT (Heat: 7, Ammo: 10, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if WEP is fired)

La Dama Muerta
Player: Polaron
May either use a Distracting Tirade or Mock and Berate the Capellans once per turn.

FY “Sir gently caress You” LNC25-01 Lancelot
Weight: 60 tons (Heavy)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 21/21 (20/20)
CT R A(S): 16/16
RT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RA A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
LL A(S): 14/14 (14/14)
RL A(S): 14/14 (14/14)
Heat: 2/30
Heat Sinks: 13 (double capacity)
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Rebecca “Divot” Moss
Mechwarrior Player: bunnyofdoom
Armament:
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or lower arm actuators—may not punch, may fire arm-weapons into rear arc

S1 Scout Sapper
Player: bunnyofdoom
May use either a booby traps on enemy infantry within 4 hexes, or pyrotechnics on an enemy ‘Mech within 6. Has 2 MP.
May NOT use either ability this turn!

F “Firewalker” CPLT-C1 Catapult
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
LT A(S): 17/19 (15/15)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 24/24 (21/21)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 19/19 (15/15)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 13/13 (10/10)
RA A(S): 13/13 (10/10)
LL A(S): 18/18 (15/15)
RL A(S): 18/18 (15/15)
Heat Sinks: 15
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: “Engine Joe” Running Wild
Mechwarrior Player: Red_Mage
Armament:
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – LA (Heat: 5, Ammo: -, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or lower arm actuators—may not punch, may fire arm-weapons into rear arc

TA Tech Platoon APC
Weight: 10 tons (Light)
Front A(S): 10/10 (1/1)
Left A(S): 8/8 (1/1)
Right A(S): 8/8 (1/1)
Turret A(S): 4/4 (1/1)
Rear A(S): 10/10 (1/1)
Movement: 6/9
Driver: Pilot 4, Gunnery 6
Player: Red_Mage
Tank Status: Ok!
Armament:
Machine Gun – Turret (Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: Currently Carrying Tech Platoon

TP Tech Platoon (30/30)
Type: SRM Infantry
Weapon: SRM
Gunnery: 5
Anti-Mech: 3
Player: Red_Mage
Movement MP: 2
Range: To-hit modifier: 0: -1, 1-2: 0, 3-4: +2, 5-6 +4
Notes: 1 round of Inferno ammo, currently carried by TA APC

SW “Skinwalker” WVR-6M Wolverine
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 13/25 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 8/8
RT A(S): 10/20 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
RA A(S): 18/18 (9/9)
LL A(S): 12/19 (13/13)
RL A(S):19/19 (13/13)
Heat: 4/30
Heat Sinks: 14
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 2, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Name: “Navajo Wolf” Bobby Begay
Mechwarrior Player: Bobbin Threadbare
Armament:
Medium Laser – HD (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if WEP is fired)
Special Ability: Eights to Aces (2/2)

S3 Scout Company(30/30)
Type: Caballeros Scouts
Weapon: Submachine Guns and Grenades
Gunnery: 3
Anti-Mech: 4
Player: Bobbin Threadbare
Movement MP: 3
Range: To-hit modifier: 0: -2, 1: 0, 2: +3
Notes: Double damage to all targets at range 0, deals an extra d6 to all targets at range 1, Arrives in ??? turns

T1 Unspecified Transport (Arrives in ??? turns)

Enemy Status
D1 WHM-6L Warhammer
Damage: None
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

D2 VND-1R Vindicator
Notes:

D3 CTF-1X Cataphract
Notes: Ace Pilot

D4 BJ-1 Blackjack
Damage: AC2 destroyed, Left Shoulder Destroyed
Notes:

I1 Capellan Militia (30/30)
Armament: Ballistic Rifle
Notes:

I2 Capellan Militia (30/30)
Armament: Ballistic Rifle
Notes: Being Transported by Heavy APC

I3 Death Commando Infantry (21/21)
Armament: SRM
Notes: Being Transported By Goblin Medium Tank

I4 Capellan Militia (30/30)
Armament: Flamer
Notes: Being Transported by Heavy APC

V1 Heavy Wheeled APC (MG Variant)
Armament: 6 Machine Guns
Notes:

V2 Zhukov Heavy Tank
Armament: AC 10, AC 10, SRM 6
Notes:

V3 Goblin Medium Tank
Armament: Large Laser, Machine Gun
Notes: Transporting [b]I3[/b]

[b]V4[/b] SRM Carrier
[b]Damage:[/b] None
[b]Status:[/b]
[b]Armament:[/b] SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6, SRM 6
[b]Notes:[/b]

[b]K1[/b] Karnov UR VTOL
[b]Status:[/b] Height 5
[b]Armament:[/b] 6 tons of infantry

[b]K2[/b] Karnov UR VTOL

[b]K3[/b] Karnov UR VTOL

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 9, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
3 Karnov's on the field. I wonder what joyous gifts they bring to the field.

vvv You shoot them

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2011

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Does anyone know how to kill helicopters?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

3 Karnov's on the field. I wonder what joyous gifts they bring to the field.

Perhaps they're here to take aboard the hostages and remove them from hope of rescue?

Wolverine should ignore the drat Cataphract and jump through the right-side woods up into the compound.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
PoptartsNinja you magnificent bastard. Not time for a slugging match now, our boys have to bull rush to the hostages and make sure they don't get loaded onto those helos...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Quick, unwrap the gifts and see!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not sure why my bold tags broke for the last three vehicles. :psyduck:

Anyway, who wants to talk about the Karnov and why they're scary as gently caress for something that's so apparently unthreatening.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 10, 2011

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
It's probably some kind of upper limit to how much of it you can have in a post.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

PopTartsNinja posted:

D3 Cataphract gains 2 heat, sinks 16
Shouldn't that read 15 instead of 2? Not that it makes a huge amount of difference, it just struck me as odd to run across a mech generating 2 heat after firing an AC10 and a PPC.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Pinguliten posted:

Have your "Artiebitches" come up with something fun yet?

Nothing so far, alas, but considering most of them are in college, I can understand it. SynthOrange is still looking like the probable winner!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
ouch lost a hostage and you got helos coming to get the hostages, that is bad! :ohdear:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know smilies are limited, maybe tags as well?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anyway, who wants to talk about the Karnov and why they're scary as gently caress for something that's so apparently unthreatening.

Horrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G5HMg6f28

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

So, uhh.

How are you going to fire all those.

Fire either PPCs or medium lasers. It's a neat 20 heat with PPCs, 18 for mediums which allows for running without heat buildup. Same idea with the second proposition. You only fire everything if you know you're going down anyway.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Horrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G5HMg6f28

I knew what this would be and yet I clicked (and subsequently laughed).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stubby can book it forward at this point and get an AC/20 shot in on the Cataphract or the Vindicator, and in any event the Wolverine needs some support. If you feel like getting crazy, you can pop "Aces and Eights right now and have the two of you tee off on the Cataphract.

I'd suggest that either the Lancelot or the Rifleman shuck rear end north and start blasting the 'copters before they get to the hostages.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, as someone who played a lot of Mechwarrior games, but only a little Battletech, mostly as a result of this thread, I'm probably not the most qualified for this, but I've been doing some toying with vehicles, and helicopters are fantastic in my experience.

Sure, they've got paper thin armor. Sure, any crit on them will wreck their day. That's why they're apparently not terribly threatening.

Karnovs have what it takes to make a solid VTOL craft. They're fast, fast enough that they put most scout mechs to shame. They also fly, so they ignore terrain, going right over woods, rough terrain, and whatnot. They make fantastic scouts, but even worse than that, if you throw weapons on them, they make excellent flankers - and that is likely what the Karnovs have.

If we're lucky, they're armed with a whole mess of machine guns. Sure, they'll have enough ammo to rain down 8 shots per round, but machine guns at least have limited range. Don't get close, and you won't risk an unlucky critical ending your day.

If we're less lucky, they're carrying a pack of SRM 2s. That would give them a range and damage advantage over the machine gun pack, at the cost of only having the ammunition for a few volleys. At this point, it becomes imperative to snipe them out before they get in range to shred armor.

And if we're really unlucky? They're transports, carrying troops to unload, and then they'll pick up hostages. PTN has demonstrated that whatever unknown this is, it's probably the worst for us.

Did I miss anything? The prospect of a few incredibly fast harrassers/flankers abusing movement advantage in the woods seems to be the most likely problem for us here.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Does anyone know how to kill helicopters?

Cluster hit weapons like LRMs and SRMs (or arrays of lighter weapons) are the best bet against helicopters because of how the rotor takes reduced damage from all weapons but the vehicle sucks motive damage every time it gets winged.

VTOLs tend to have lighter armor as well, so heavy weapon direct fire can also do a pretty good job on them.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
According to the Wiki

Sarna.net Classic BattleTech Wiki posted:

The Karnov UR Transport is heavy lift VTOL which has been in service for hundreds of years, the tilt-rotor design among the fastest of its type in use. A reliable and hardy machine, all of the Successor State armed forces and many mercenary units use at least some Karnovs for supply and logistics missions. Many commercial firms also use the Karnov for local transportation of cargo in its sizable 6-ton bay, and as a flying crane.

And it looks like this:

And K-Shake told us why they're dangerous, so I think that should be enough to educate all our proud Caballeros as to the dangers they face.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The best Karnov is the one that carries about a dozen rocket launchers.

A potential 140pts of damage in a single turn? Hell loving yes.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This got a lot more interesting.

PTN, as a Rifleman do I get any AA bonuses versus the VTOLs?

vv Yeah, and the question is if PTN's using those optional rules.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 10, 2011

PajamaSutra
Dec 15, 2008

"Present my compliments to General Fitz Lee and tell him to go to hell."

Tempest_56 posted:

This got a lot more interesting.

PTN, as a Rifleman do I get any AA bonuses versus the VTOLs?

Using vanilla rules, no. There are some optional rules that give the RFL a bonus.

PajamaSutra fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 10, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would hope so. It means there are all kinds of fun sensor rules to include later.

Phoenix-Hawks have the equivalent of a Targeting Computer for free, for example.

And it stacks.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The best Karnov is the one that carries about a dozen rocket launchers.

A potential 140pts of damage in a single turn? Hell loving yes.

Do those exist at this point in time? I just looked at the introductory rules variants for the breakdown. I also avoided posting specific damage outputs, due to what seems like thread policy, but, suffice to say, that variant is far and away more deadly than the two I listed.

If that variant is flying at this point in time, everyone should press their initiative advantage to stay away from these boats and bring them down. Any hit on them is a potential kill, and any hit they land on you may well be the same...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The helos are probably empty and lightly (or un)armed transports. It's still the second mission, and PTN has been going relatively easy on people while they learn.

They still should go down easy, and even if they turn out to be unarmed, you want to shoot them down while they're either empty or have enemy troops inside them, because once they get the hostages in the air, a helo crash would likely be a "Bad Thing"™.

Of course, I still hope they're heavily loaded killing machines. Go Death Commandos!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Worst case scenario is actually:
each transport has 6 platoons of 30 strong jump infantry. If they're carrying ballistic rifles, they can reliably do 16 damage a turn each. That's 288 total potential damage, and it only gets more fun if they've got infernos or SRMs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Honestly, I should have popped Eights to Aces last turn so I could make use of it now. I had this crazy idea where I would jump on him.

Still, in honor of the ability I'm using next round, the Music of the Round is: The Ace of Spades.

Polaron, Red_Mage, if either of you want to get this guy off my back, I would really appreciate it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Honestly, I should have popped Eights to Aces last turn so I could make use of it now. I had this crazy idea where I would jump on him.

Polaron, Red_Mage, if either of you want to get this guy off my back, I would really appreciate it.

Why engage? If you jump up to something like 1814, you'll leave the Cataphract way behind and out of position, he'll have to leave some forces behind other than the SRM Carrier, and you'll be able to influence events at the target much sooner. You might end up fighting the Warhammer, but that'll be much easier than brawling with the Ace.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Why engage? If you jump up to something like 1814, you'll leave the Cataphract way behind and out of position, he'll have to leave some forces behind other than the SRM Carrier, and you'll be able to influence events at the target much sooner. You might end up fighting the Warhammer, but that'll be much easier than brawling with the Ace.

The Cat has yet to move, and the skill won't take effect this round. If I jumped there, I would get mauled.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Cat has yet to move, and the skill won't take effect this round. If I jumped there, I would get mauled.

Only if he turns and comes into the woods after you, I think, which draws him out of the fight, and even then he's looking at big numbers. 9s at least, not counting PPC minimums. Next turn, if you continue up into the clearing, you'll be far out of his reach due to blocked LOS.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hmm. Things are developing interestingly now.

I'm going to finish my turret positioning - move to 0618 and use the woods for cover. Also maul D2, since it's in short range from there. 9s isn't too bad.

I'd say our target this turn should be D2 - we can all get a good mark on it this turn, and a little concentrated firepower should at least make it fall back. Next turn we're gonna have to deal with D3 and V2, since they'll be getting in close and be mighty dangerous. We should also blast V1 if at all possible. It's got two infantry platoons in there - destroying it could take out half their infantry in one go.

The Karnovs, I'm just gonna ignore until they show more of what they're up to. There's too many possibilities right now to account for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Yeah sure Bobbin, I can head your direction. D3 is going down.

• Locked thread