Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hey Pollyanna, I don't know if you've played the older Harvest Moons, but I've sung the praises of HM64 many a time. It's a much more mature game with realistic characters and less wackiness. Plus, there are a bunch of cool festivals.

Anyone who is a fan of the Harvest Moon Series should do themselves a favor and play Harvest Moon 64.

I loved the original and always wanted to play 64, but unfortunately never got to. I might check it out, thanks!

The main series has strayed pretty far from the original, as far as I can tell. I kinda feel like Rune Factory is more like the SNES version, at least in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding when you said that 1 and 2 are infuriating to go back to after playing 3. They're not bad games per se (well, the dubbing makes me want to retch, but hey), but there's just so many crappy design choices and overall unpolishedness that I can't even stand to play for a little bit. :gonk: I think I'll be happy playing with RF3 even more.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What the hell drops strong vines? I assume it's one of the plant monster but they won't drop it. :mad:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

What's the difference between 64 and Back to Nature, anyway?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

U.T. Raptor posted:

What's the difference between 64 and Back to Nature, anyway?

Back to Nature takes 64's characters and setting and puts it in a blender. The characters don't have the same personality anymore, they are related to different people, they do different jobs etc.

BTN is like an alternate universe version of 64.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

What the hell drops strong vines? I assume it's one of the plant monster but they won't drop it. :mad:

Supposedly all the plant monsters do, but I had zero luck with the ones in the spring dungeon until I wasn't looking any more. I had pretty good luck with the winter ones.

Thank you goons for making me want and purchase this game. RF3 is absolutely fantastic, probably the best DS game I've played. Also bought RF2 and Grand Bazaar because of this thread. If GB allowed you to save more often than every half hour I would probably still be playing it.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Pollyanna posted:

F. Guess I'll just find out myself by playing anyway, though I doubt they'll come close to the RF3 gang.

I know you already said TV made you bored, but I was thinking about the RF3 vs TV thing earlier. I've played both a lot and honestly RF3 is the best, mostly because of how dynamic the characters are. It took me a while to get used to how nuts everyone in RF3 is, but once I did I loved it. They seem to have way more/varied dialogue in general and I'm afraid I won't be able to go back to HM now. :saddowns: It's gonna be a long wait to RF4.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is RF Ocean ever going to come out in English?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Well, all the past games have been localised and have been fairly successful. They'd be crazy not to, but that doesn't mean you won't have a ridiculous delay to look forward to, especially if you're a PAL gamer (Animal Parade came here last month! :toot:). Probably faster to learn Japanese.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Whatever happened to the PS3/360 versions of Harvest Moon? Weren't they supposed to be online?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Whatever happened to the PS3/360 versions of Harvest Moon? Weren't they supposed to be online?

Caution: IGN article: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1148640p1.html

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ka0 posted:

Caution: IGN article: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1148640p1.html

Wow, that's from two days ago. Oh well, maybe we'll get the Rune Factory PS3 game soon.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Goddammit I will pay you all my money for Harbest Moon and Rune Factory games on the 360, Natsume. Why do you not want all my money. :(

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
At least Rune Factory Oceans looks really fun and the game being released outside of the Wii is definitively a plus.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Has anyone had trouble with Grand Bazaar freezing up randomly on the DSi? Just bought it and I'm going through the intro for the third time now.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Nastyman posted:

Has anyone had trouble with Grand Bazaar freezing up randomly on the DSi? Just bought it and I'm going through the intro for the third time now.

I tried searching for ya, but couldn't find much of anything substantive. Here's a link with no resolution from Natsume's forum, so at least someone else out there has the problem.

http://www.natsume.com/community/showthread.php?t=721

Have you had the same problem with a different game, or only with GB?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

I tried searching for ya, but couldn't find much of anything substantive. Here's a link with no resolution from Natsume's forum, so at least someone else out there has the problem.

http://www.natsume.com/community/showthread.php?t=721

Have you had the same problem with a different game, or only with GB?

Yeah, I found that same post but not much else. It's only happening with this one game.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
I fixed the problem (and by that I mean it stopped occurring on it's own), but I have a new one. About one season ago I got both the dog and the horse (still in Grand Bazaar) and I've been feeding them, brushing and riding the horse and picking up the dog every day, but they're on zero hearts and when I use the stethoscope on the horse it says "It thinks you're a stranger."

What am I doing wrong here? The game said I also had to talk to the horse, but the only interaction I can find besides the brush and stethoscope is riding it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Nastyman posted:

I fixed the problem (and by that I mean it stopped occurring on it's own), but I have a new one. About one season ago I got both the dog and the horse (still in Grand Bazaar) and I've been feeding them, brushing and riding the horse and picking up the dog every day, but they're on zero hearts and when I use the stethoscope on the horse it says "It thinks you're a stranger."

What am I doing wrong here? The game said I also had to talk to the horse, but the only interaction I can find besides the brush and stethoscope is riding it.

The stethoscope is what counts as "talking" to it. It does take awhile to build up friendship points, you don't start seeing a heart until you have at least 100 FP. Have you been feeding the horse as well? You have to do that everyday. If you don't, you'll lose FP.

For the dog, that's a bit unusual if you've been good about picking them up, feeding them, and talking to them. I know they get a bit of a boost when you play with them too, but you should be seeming some progress soon.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pollyanna posted:

Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding when you said that 1 and 2 are infuriating to go back to after playing 3. They're not bad games per se (well, the dubbing makes me want to retch, but hey), but there's just so many crappy design choices and overall unpolishedness that I can't even stand to play for a little bit. :gonk: I think I'll be happy playing with RF3 even more.

Oh God this. I decided to replay Rune Factory 1&2 before I replayed 3 again. I got about ten minutes into the first one before I remembered that you have to hold down the R button all of the time to run.

I've been plodding though Rune Factory 2, but it just seems there's less to do then in 3. I kind of like not being able to fit everything in a single day. Right now I'm doing all of my chores, taking the classes, handing out gift, doing requests, and I'm in bed by about noon each day.

Nastyman: It's just not on the DSi. I played Grand Bazaar on my DS Lite and on the first day of winter it froze every loving time I tried to leave me farm. I stopped playing the game just because I was afraid that it would happen again.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 21, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So is there anything anyone's looking forward to in RF Oceans?

I just think it's going to be an interesting change of scenery, and it doesn't help that it looks like they've made a much better flowing combat system.

I'll preorder the hell out of the PS3 version once they formally announce it. Until then, it's RF Frontier for me.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Lareine posted:

Back to Nature takes 64's characters and setting and puts it in a blender. The characters don't have the same personality anymore, they are related to different people, they do different jobs etc.

BTN is like an alternate universe version of 64.

HM 64 is easily the most memorable N64 game for me, so is Back to Nature on par in terms of quality?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

HM 64 is easily the most memorable N64 game for me, so is Back to Nature on par in terms of quality?

I haven't played Back to Nature since I was a kid, but I still remember the circumstances and my feelings about the game. I played 64 prior to BtN, and felt like everything BtN did, 64 did first, better, and in greater detail. There seemed like more to do in 64, and the characters and situations presented were more mature, while Back to Nature I seem to remember having more of a "kooky" atmosphere.

That's how I remembering feeling back in like 2001 when I played BtN. It might not be an accurate portrayal, however. Still, since you, like me, hold 64 in high regard, I figured I should give a look through how I took Back to Nature in comparison.

For what it's worth, screenshots look exactly alike, and it reuses a bunch of (or maybe all of?) the characters. You are most certainly not going to get modern era DS anime-esque characters.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

BTN's dialogue is goofier than 64 but it has a ton of features that they started to put in 64 but didn't quite finish.

64 has more charm to it, but it is a blatantly unfinished game. There's just less to do and there's some frustratingly half formed systems like cooking and employing the harvest sprites.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

So is there anything anyone's looking forward to in RF Oceans?

I just think it's going to be an interesting change of scenery, and it doesn't help that it looks like they've made a much better flowing combat system.

I'll preorder the hell out of the PS3 version once they formally announce it. Until then, it's RF Frontier for me.

If Oceans' loading times are better than Frontier's I'll be all over this game.

edit: Don't know if you guys care but Back to Nature is up on PSN now.

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!
In RF3, is there a way to have other characters accompany you in battle when you aren't on a quest? I couldn't find anything in the instruction manual and there's surprisingly little information about the game on the internet.

I'd been playing BTN before I picked up RF3. I don't think I can go back.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

You got to friend them up to 3 points before they'll join you in battle. You'll see the prompt to press L or R when you talk to them. There are certain times where you can't invite certain characters like if they're running their shop.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Dear god this game is still as addictive as it ever was, isn't it?

SapphireC posted:

The stethoscope is what counts as "talking" to it. It does take awhile to build up friendship points, you don't start seeing a heart until you have at least 100 FP. Have you been feeding the horse as well? You have to do that everyday. If you don't, you'll lose FP.

For the dog, that's a bit unusual if you've been good about picking them up, feeding them, and talking to them. I know they get a bit of a boost when you play with them too, but you should be seeming some progress soon.

Huh, that's quite unintuitive. Oh well, now I know, thanks.

I've been making sure to feed the horse, but I figured the stethoscope was just for checking on them if they complained about anything so I rarely used that. Getting the dog bone took me a few market trips but now I have it, and I'm basically just going through my regular duties every day and then throw the bone with him until he takes the cows back in.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Nastyman: It's just not on the DSi. I played Grand Bazaar on my DS Lite and on the first day of winter it froze every loving time I tried to leave me farm. I stopped playing the game just because I was afraid that it would happen again.

Yeah, to me it kept happening on the first day and during the tutorial. I think it might have been every time I closed the DS lid. I've reached year 2 now without a single issue though, and it seems to be working like normal again, even if I close the lid.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 23, 2011

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
What is everyone's thoughts on Hero of Leaf Valley? I need something new to play now that I've done RF3 to death.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Nastyman posted:

Huh, that's quite unintuitive. Oh well, now I know, thanks.

I've been making sure to feed the horse, but I figured the stethoscope was just for checking on them if they complained about anything so I rarely used that. Getting the dog bone took me a few market trips but now I have it, and I'm basically just going through my regular duties every day and then throw the bone with him until he takes the cows back in.

Oh yea, it definitely is not common sense logic at all. Just add the stethoscope to your daily routine with everything, and it will all be peachy :)
The best thing though is when you have your dogs and cats trained up to handle all the animal stuff for you. Feels great and is super helpful!

Myriad posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on Hero of Leaf Valley? I need something new to play now that I've done RF3 to death.

It's a port of an old PS2 title, Save the Homeland. StH used to reset every year, while this one doesn't. I enjoyed playing it back then, but it wasn't the best one ever. You might want to look around and see if it is a good port though, cause long load times would make it really not fun.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Rune Factory 3 query: How do you get more spells beyond the two you can get from the alchemist?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe Sakuya sells them. Also the travelling merchant in the inn might sell them too.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You can buy them from the Apothecary as well.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

GruntyThrst posted:

You can buy them from the Apothecary as well.

More become available as you beat dungeons, if I remember correctly.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Finished RF3 a long time ago, picked up Animal Parade for a few bucks. Any thoughts on it? Seems ok so far.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

playing through RF3. was going for Raven but I got the event to show my true self with Pia first. I shut the power off but am I locked into Pia if I go through with it? I have more hearts with Raven (10 compared to 9) but for some reason I haven't been getting all of her events yet.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
While you need to do do that event to marry Pia (As with all of the final events for the respective girl); the events themselves don't lock you into an marriage. You do all of those events without any negative effects to your relations.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Zettace posted:

While you need to do do that event to marry Pia (As with all of the final events for the respective girl); the events themselves don't lock you into an marriage. You do all of those events without any negative effects to your relations.

thanks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Welp, I'm confused.

How do you go about taming animals? I'm a bit lost. I've gotten two so far, the cow and elephant, but I quite literally gave them all of my food inventory and then stuff in the surrounding environment before they finally got swung over.

Edit: Erm. In Rune Factory 3.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You have to be a higher level than the monster you're trying to tame. Other than that, it's just giving them items until they like you. Fodder is a good one since it's easy to get and all tamable animals seem to like it.

• Locked thread