Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Only if he turns and comes into the woods after you, I think, which draws him out of the fight, and even then he's looking at big numbers. 9s at least, not counting PPC minimums. Next turn, if you continue up into the clearing, you'll be far out of his reach due to blocked LOS.

If he comes into the woods and gets another round like he just did, he takes me out of the fight, too, which I'd rather avoid. No, I think I'd rather draw him into my allies, if he's that bold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Worst case scenario is actually:
each transport has 6 platoons of 30 strong jump infantry. If they're carrying ballistic rifles, they can reliably do 16 damage a turn each. That's 288 total potential damage, and it only gets more fun if they've got infernos or SRMs.

Yeah, I figured infantry could potentially be something horrifying, along these lines, but I didn't really know until you posted that. Chalk that up to 'Things I don't really know about Battletech'.

I don't see any 'dedicated anti-infantry' weapons on the party mechs, so oddly enough it looks like the best infantry counter is the party infantry. If these turn out to be transports, I wish you guys the best of luck. Hopefully the sapper/sniper/platoons can cull their ranks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

each transport has 6 platoons of 30 strong jump infantry. If they're carrying ballistic rifles, they can reliably do 16 damage a turn each. That's 288 total potential damage, and it only gets more fun if they've got infernos or SRMs.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Yeah, I figured infantry could potentially be something horrifying, along these lines, but I didn't really know until you posted that. Chalk that up to 'Things I don't really know about Battletech'.

I don't see any 'dedicated anti-infantry' weapons on the party mechs, so oddly enough it looks like the best infantry counter is the party infantry. If these turn out to be transports, I wish you guys the best of luck. Hopefully the sapper/sniper/platoons can cull their ranks.

He's loving with you/us a little, I'm afraid. You can really only put one platoon of jump infantry in a Karnov, and 16 is the max damage a 30 man rifle platoon (heavily reinforced by IS doctrine) can do.

Still, infantry is no joke with Level 1 tech, as the Total Warfare (shooting at) infantry rules sort of assume you have all kinds of fun toys that don't exist yet (in the Inner Sphere).

\/ More than that. Jump Platoons weigh 4 tons @ 21 troopers per platoon. 6 platoons, each reinforced to 30, call for more cargo space than the total weight of a Karnov.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 11, 2011

PajamaSutra
Dec 15, 2008

"Present my compliments to General Fitz Lee and tell him to go to hell."

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's 24 tons of cargo each, a Karnov can't carry that much.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Infantry is nice, but it is no [Redacted]. :colbert:

Fighting [Redacted] should be fun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Honestly, I should have popped Eights to Aces last turn so I could make use of it now. I had this crazy idea where I would jump on him.

Still, in honor of the ability I'm using next round, the Music of the Round is: The Ace of Spades.

Polaron, Red_Mage, if either of you want to get this guy off my back, I would really appreciate it.

Why don't we both do it? Red Mage, Bobbin, care to join me in smiting the hell out of that Cataphract? :black101:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I got a friend of mine working on a ponymech, and I'm drawing one too. Don't close the competition yet please! :ohdear:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

Why don't we both do it? Red Mage, Bobbin, care to join me in smiting the hell out of that Cataphract? :black101:

Knocking it out would move you a long way towards victory, but don't forget about those helicopters and don't discount the damage that the vehicles and the Whammer can still do.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zeroisanumber posted:

Knocking it out would move you a long way towards victory, but don't forget about those helicopters and don't discount the damage that the vehicles and the Whammer can still do.

Oh, I don't. But the three of us (I think Red_Mage can get there, anyway) are all in range of this rear end in a top hat, and he's picking on poor Skinwalker. Time to use my Smiting Cannon.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

GenericOverusedName posted:

I got a friend of mine working on a ponymech, and I'm drawing one too. Don't close the competition yet please! :ohdear:

Hmm. Fair enough. :siren:The deadline is hereby extended by one further week!:siren: This is the LAST push-back, though.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Focus fire on the that elite, if someone can run up and try to screen the skys from the choppers, please do! maybe the rifleman.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Focus fire on the that elite, if someone can run up and try to screen the skys from the choppers, please do! maybe the rifleman.

I'm gunning for the Vindie this turn. The Karnovs are still too far away to get a decent shot at, and I want to know what they're up to.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm gunning for the Vindie this turn. The Karnovs are still too far away to get a decent shot at, and I want to know what they're up to.

Makes sense, the thing you have to worry about is that they have TAG or will use their attack round to sight for arty or lovely lovely LRMs.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If you guys don't adhere to zellbrigen you are freebirth scum. Where is the honor in ganging up on a target?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Knox I'm pretty sure honor is out the window when the people you're fighting have hostages.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Makes sense, the thing you have to worry about is that they have TAG or will use their attack round to sight for arty or lovely lovely LRMs.

It also helps that I'm range 5 from the Vindicator and range 17 from the nearest Karnov. Best case I've got is a to-hit of 15 on the VTOLs and I've got a better shot than anybody else right now.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Knox I'm pretty sure honor is out the window when the people you're fighting have hostages.

That sounds like a freebirth excuse to me. What better way to fight than a fight with people to witness it? What greater way to test your mettle, if not in front of a spectating crowd?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait, this exists? Infantry can do that? BattleTech just keeps making less and less sense.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

It also helps that I'm range 5 from the Vindicator and range 17 from the nearest Karnov. Best case I've got is a to-hit of 15 on the VTOLs and I've got a better shot than anybody else right now.

I'm at work so i can't count hexes, but you might want to move someone up afterward to attack them, hopefully. I don't know if you all will take out the elite this turn honestly, but your going to be slinging some heavy fire his way.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait, this exists? Infantry can do that? BattleTech just keeps making less and less sense.

Yes. Infantry can get transported around by any unit with the proper cargo space, including VTOLs. Why wouldn't they be?

Or if you meant the damage? Yes. They can do that much. Then again, if you're letting your mech be surrounded by more than five hundred infantrymen when you can probably move two to four times faster than they can? You deserve what you get.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

I'm at work so i can't count hexes, but you might want to move someone up afterward to attack them, hopefully. I don't know if you all will take out the elite this turn honestly, but your going to be slinging some heavy fire his way.

Dude, I'm a Rifleman. I'm not charging through the close range of a heavy lance on my own so I can pot-shot some VTOLs. I'd have to almost literally walk past everything but the Cataphract and the SRM Carrier to get there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tempest_56 posted:

Dude, I'm a Rifleman. I'm not charging through the close range of a heavy lance on my own so I can pot-shot some VTOLs. I'd have to almost literally walk past everything but the Cataphract and the SRM Carrier to get there.

More of a job for the Catapult anyway.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm. Is there a position I can get into where those trees aren't in my way and I can still take a shot at the Cataphract? I'm not seeing one, but I may be missing something obvious.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tempest_56 posted:

I wasn't referring to you specifically, i meant after this turn of you guys focusing on the elite. I was just suggesting that someone go on on the left side and try to get an LOS on them and take them out.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Yeah, no matter what happens to be inside them, I think you really want to shoot the choppers down before they can deliver it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, that much rifle infantry (effectively a regiment) can do that damage as a maximum if you get close enough. Of course, their bullets, shot at a Mech-size target, clang uselessly to the ground at 90 meters. Now will you please shut the gently caress up about Battletech's complete failure to try to be realistic?

Notgothic posted:

Yeah, no matter what happens to be inside them, I think you really want to shoot the choppers down before they can deliver it.

They're not going to be able to. They move 11/17. They should worry about what's going to happen to the hostages - wives and children of friends - if they don't get a move on.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Notgothic posted:

My gut instinct right now? Bombs. The Cappellan infantry all cleared out away from the hostages for a reason. I'm expecting inferno bombs or something to get dropped on the buildings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tempest_56 posted:

My gut instinct right now? Bombs. The Cappellan infantry all cleared out away from the hostages for a reason. I'm expecting inferno bombs or something to get dropped on the buildings.

At the risk of metagaming, that's too much of a being set up for failure scenario. I mean, if the choppers got there and dropped their bombs before the mechs can possibly reach them and shoot them down, what point is the scenario?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Infantry generally move 1, and have tiny, tiny ranges, but they can do some serious damage with ambushes in thick terrain like a city

A combined arms force of VTOLs, vehicles and infantry in an urban environment would be a really nasty opponent if the scenario uses secret placement and movement for them (either through megamek or on a tabletop via one player writing units and hexes on a piece of paper to provide a log and only placing them when they're visible/shoot)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Volmarias posted:

At the risk of metagaming, that's too much of a being set up for failure scenario. I mean, if the choppers got there and dropped their bombs before the mechs can possibly reach them and shoot them down, what point is the scenario?

You don't automatically lose when the hostages die. It just means you go from save to bury.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axe-man posted:

TAG is LosTech right now, as are the munitions supported by it. And the only LRMs currently in the field for the Cappies is the LRM5 on the Vindicator.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Magni posted:

TAG is LosTech right now, as are the munitions supported by it. And the only LRMs currently in the field for the Cappies is the LRM5 on the Vindicator.

oh but i know this, but those are the only ones we can see, if they have an LRM launcher or they do have long toms a map out... :tinfoil:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

You don't automatically lose when the hostages die. It just means you go from save to bury.

It would drive the story I guess but it's kind of a "gently caress you" to the players by setting up the special rules to a pretty sweet scenario and then getting rid of them on round 3 to just make this a slugfest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

It would drive the story I guess but it's kind of a "gently caress you" to the players by setting up the special rules to a pretty sweet scenario and then getting rid of them on round 3 to just make this a slugfest.

"Your move, creep."

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So I think that cataphract with the ace pilot really needs to die.

then again so do the rest. they all need to die. kill them. kill them all.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yes, that much rifle infantry (effectively a regiment) can do that damage as a maximum if you get close enough. Of course, their bullets, shot at a Mech-size target, clang uselessly to the ground at 90 meters. Now will you please shut the gently caress up about Battletech's complete failure to try to be realistic?

How it works now is that each infantry formation is assumed to have primary and support (usually heavy) weapons mixed throughout. For simplicity's sake on the table, during unit creation the numbers for these are pretty much averaged out to the damage numbers you get on the infantry damage tables.

I don't remember if this explicitly explains how rifle platoons are able to damage to mechs now, though.

That said, it beats the poo poo about worrying about BAR all the time.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2011

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I just realized I know how the VTOLs might gently caress poo poo up.

They're going to fly over to the mechbay and gently caress up the mechbay since their feint drew away the guards. Are the Death Commandos considered devious or just suicidal?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, by 'reliably' do 16 damage, I mean they still have to roll on the missile charts so all bets are off once they start taking damage; the damage also scatters like LRM damage, too.

PajamaSutra posted:

That's 24 tons of cargo each, a Karnov can't carry that much.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly or they changed something, an infantry platoon weighs 1 ton. Karnovs have 6 tons of cargo space, so even 18 platoons of normal infantry would be dangerous--they'd just have to land to deploy them, wheras jump infantry should be able to 'parachute' by jumping out of the VTOL and not die in the process.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly or they changed something, an infantry platoon weighs 1 ton. Karnovs have 6 tons of cargo space, so even 18 platoons of normal infantry would be dangerous--they'd just have to land to deploy them, wheras jump infantry should be able to 'parachute' by jumping out of the VTOL and not die in the process.

AFAIK, even foot infantry weighs 3 tons, assuming 28/platoon. 10-ton APCs only have room for a squad a piece. (I didn't want to be nitpicky and mention that part before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They must've changed something, then. I'm used to the old citytech rules where 'infantry weighed one ton', since otherwise APCs make no sense (you can only fit two in a hex, but it takes three to transport an infantry platoon >_> ).

Oh well, I'll have to check up on that.

Either way, only one of the Karnovs is carrying infantry so it's not a huge deal.

• Locked thread