Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So about the expiration date on cold medicine. Does it just mean it may not work as well if you take it after the date or that you're going to slip into a coma and die if you take it?

I found the answer in case anyone else was wondering: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

Potency aside, I can vouch that NeoCitran tastes absolutely rancid two and a half years post-expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I am trying to get by without Flash since it likes killing Macs. Is there a way to have YouTube serve the html-5 version instead of the flahs version (which does not work since I don't have flash)?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

I am trying to get by without Flash since it likes killing Macs. Is there a way to have YouTube serve the html-5 version instead of the flahs version (which does not work since I don't have flash)?

Flash doesn't kill Macs - I'm using it on my MacBook Air as I type this...

Anyway go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 aNd hit yes.

There'll still be a lot of videos that can only be watched in the flash player though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fishmech posted:

Flash doesn't kill Macs - I'm using it on my MacBook Air as I type this...

Anyway go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 aNd hit yes.

There'll still be a lot of videos that can only be watched in the flash player though.

It kills older macs with hard drives. I removed it two days ago and my system has stopped locking up completely. Flash should gently caress off and die. My new MBP with an SSD does OK with it but it still is responsible for all the beachballs not caused by iTunes and Numbers.

Thanks for the link.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 11, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

Flash should gently caress off and die.

Seeing as it works fine on other computer platforms and even on phones, I don't think it's Flash you should be blaming for the problems on your Mac.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Whoops, go me. Thanks to you and Danger Mahoney.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So about the expiration date on cold medicine. Does it just mean it may not work as well if you take it after the date or that you're going to slip into a coma and die if you take it?

I found the answer in case anyone else was wondering: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

My dad is an ER doctor and he still has antiseptic with the year 1989 stamped on the packets sitting in our medicine cabinet in case any of us get hurt. (Obviously we haven't gotten hurt in awhile). He would clearly never use that in the ER, but it just goes to show that those dates mean almost nothing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If I want to be able to build a modern-looking website, which area should I start learning stuff and with what resources? Anything online or is this something I need to break open some textbooks for? Should I only bother if this is going to be a full time endeavor?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a way to cancel geico insurance online?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dudebro posted:

If I want to be able to build a modern-looking website, which area should I start learning stuff and with what resources? Anything online or is this something I need to break open some textbooks for? Should I only bother if this is going to be a full time endeavor?

When you say modern-looking what do you mean? Design or functionality? What basis are your starting from?

Core skills: HTML, CSS
Design: Photoshop/Illustrator, Flash if you want animation
Functionality: Language+Database

Fancy pants design/functionality: AJAX, jQuery

It really depends what you want. If you just want a blog that looks contemporary, go to wordpress and pick a theme you like.

edit: Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. There are plenty of free online tutorials that cover the same content as books. Try https://www.w3schools.com for the basics. Also, there's Cavern of COBOL in SH/SC with various threads including web development, and specific languages.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 11, 2011

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

stubblyhead posted:

I won't argue that drinking water and eating vegetables is the better path, but V8 does have 2g of fiber per 8 oz. serving.

Yeah, V8 is definitely a better choice than, say, orange juice or any other fruit juice. It's also delicious. I'm just saying it's not the optimal choice. Besides, if you're depending on it for your vitamin intake then I would imagine a lot of the nutrients found in the veggies that get put into V8 are lost in all the processing. Tastes great though, and definitely low in sugar for juice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TLG James posted:

Is there a way to cancel geico insurance online?

No. I just did it over the phone last month, it was pretty easy and they didn't hassle me much.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

stubblyhead posted:

V8 specifically has a shitload of sodium and a fair amount of sugar, but otherwise yeah. They make a low sodium version as well though.

Shitloads of sodium won't hurt unless it's vast amounts over a long time, if sodium is the worst thing about V8 it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BorderPatrol posted:

No. I just did it over the phone last month, it was pretty easy and they didn't hassle me much.

Did you have to have the replacement insurance already?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Knightmare posted:

Shitloads of sodium won't hurt unless it's vast amounts over a long time, if sodium is the worst thing about V8 it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Yeah you frankly just piss it out fairly quickly if you've had too much at once.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TLG James posted:

No, Insurance companies don't care whether you have insurance or not, its the state and the DMV that care.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TLG James posted:

They didn't even ask me.

EDIT: I made sure I did so I didn't have a lapse in coverage, but like Bojanglesworth said it's not really any of their concern.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I was assigned the task of creating some score sheets for judges to use in a talent competition. The coordinator referred to it as a "rubric", a term that I had to look up, but that almost fits the description -but it seems more analogous than apt.

I guess what I am making is a scoring model, kind of what I imagine beauty pageant or dog show judges are given, since when I hear that system described it always seems like different variables are weighted differently.

What I am asking is if there is a better, and more common, term for this kind of thing.
"Judge's Scoring Worksheet" or "Score Sheet" are fine, but I want to be able to refer to the entire scoring model, not just the form they are given to fill out, when I explain it to judges, contestants, and audiences.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

thelightguy posted:

That's the scoring rubric. (Which isn't that obscure a word by the way, I'm surprised you had to look it up, especially if you've had any post-secondary education.)
Sorry; art school. The real problem is not that I wasn't instantly familiar with it though. This is going to happen in a rural area where I expect a preponderance of the audience and "talent", if not the actual judges, won't be familiar with the term. They don't happen to use it on "American Idol" or anything do they?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 11, 2011

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Very Strange Things posted:

What I am asking is if there is a better, and more common, term for this kind of thing.
"Judge's Scoring Worksheet" or "Score Sheet" are fine, but I want to be able to refer to the entire scoring model, not just the form they are given to fill out, when I explain it to judges, contestants, and audiences.

That's the scoring rubric. (Which isn't that obscure a word by the way, I'm surprised you had to look it up, especially if you've had any post-secondary education.)

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

thelightguy posted:

This. Try looking up some sample rubrics for student teachers. Those generally have really good advice on how to allocate each category to make it easy for anyone to use. This will be most important when you're making it for other judges to refer to.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Sorry; art school. The real problem is not that I wasn't instantly familiar with it though. This is going to happen in a rural area where I expect a preponderance of the audience and "talent", if not the actual judges, won't be familiar with the term. They don't happen to use it on "American Idol" or anything do they?

Art school here too, so v:shobon:v

They were using rubrics for grading from junior high on up when I was in school, so I doubt it'll be that hard of a concept to explain if somebody, for some reason, doesn't instantly get it.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

thelightguy posted:

Art school here too, so v:shobon:v

They were using rubrics for grading from junior high on up when I was in school, so I doubt it'll be that hard of a concept to explain if somebody, for some reason, doesn't instantly get it.

It was almost 20 years ago. I'm looking at sample rubrics now for things like judging dance auditions and I guess the only place I've seen such a thing was in my girlfriend's performance review worksheets at her job. "[below] [meets] [exceeds] expectations" kind of thing.
Would that really be the best format for a judging worksheet? I was thinking of something like 4 categories, the judge assigns 1-10 points for each, and then those are multiplied by our predetermined weight. For example :

technical ability x 4
Stage presence x 3
Difficulty: x 2
Originality: x 1

In this example, if someone was given scores of 7, 9, 9, and 3 then their score would be 76 out of a possible 100 (or you could call it 7.6). Is that kind of scoring model still a rubric?

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

It was almost 20 years ago. I'm looking at sample rubrics now for things like judging dance auditions and I guess the only place I've seen such a thing was in my girlfriend's performance review worksheets at her job. "[below] [meets] [exceeds] expectations" kind of thing.
Would that really be the best format for a judging worksheet? I was thinking of something like 4 categories, the judge assigns 1-10 points for each, and then those are multiplied by our predetermined weight. For example :

technical ability x 4
Stage presence x 3
Difficulty: x 2
Originality: x 1

In this example, if someone was given scores of 7, 9, 9, and 3 then their score would be 76 out of a possible 100 (or you could call it 7.6). Is that kind of scoring model still a rubric?

The problem with this is that it's very arbitrary. What constitutes a 5? What is a 10? This is a scoring method, yes, but it is not a rubric. A rubric would be basically a chart that says:

Technical ability: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

and then list under each what it represents. It's much easier to do a rubric 1-5 or 1-3 in each section.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So I was playing an original song on guitar that I'm working on, and someone mentioned it sounded like some song on the radio that goes, "da doo run run run, blah blah blah blah(sic)". Mine is just a simple acoustic reggae/ska islandy sounding 4 chord progression, so it could sound like any reggae/ska song really, which I pointed out, but it would be nice to hear what the person is talking about so I know if I'm wasting my time and should rework it. If it helps any music heads, the progression was a simple D A Bm G.

I know it's not the old fashioned "Da Do Ron Ron Ron" doo-wop song, but I don't listen to the radio ever (no car, no need to). Any idea goons? Your time spent listening to the radio so I don't have to is greatly appreciated.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
OK. Thanks guys. It sounds like what I should do (if I was using the example I gave) is expand the categories into more aspects to give them the weight I'd like and adapt it to the rubric format.
In other words, if I want technical ability to have more weight I just add more sections about that aspect of the performance.
I can see why it's used, and otherwise I'm guessing some people will say, "Why didn't she just use a rubric?"

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
This morning, I was on the way to school in my 2000 Toyota Rav4. I had just cleared the on-ramp and was speeding up when the gas pedal stuck to the floor.

I did 80MPH up Route 3 to Lowell for a good minute trying to get this drat thing free. When I pulled up on the pedal with my foot, all I got was slack. When I pushed or kicked down, it stayed a little deeper. I was going fast enough that my brakes locked out. This has never happened to me before, so it didn't occur to me to put the car in neutral (if it had, I would have done so and pulled over to deal with the problem).

Because the pedal was loose when I tried to pull it back up, I'm pretty sure that the issue is internal. What might be the problem?

The car is going to the garage tomorrow morning for maintenance regardless of whether we figure it out, tonight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raimundus posted:

This morning, I was on the way to school in my 2000 Toyota Rav4. I had just cleared the on-ramp and was speeding up when the gas pedal stuck to the floor.

I did 80MPH up Route 3 to Lowell for a good minute trying to get this drat thing free. When I pulled up on the pedal with my foot, all I got was slack. When I pushed or kicked down, it stayed a little deeper. I was going fast enough that my brakes locked out. This has never happened to me before, so it didn't occur to me to put the car in neutral (if it had, I would have done so and pulled over to deal with the problem).

Because the pedal was loose when I tried to pull it back up, I'm pretty sure that the issue is internal. What might be the problem?

Could be tons of rust seizing the pedal hinge. You confirmed there's no notorious floor mat issues that might have jammed it?

Ask in the AI question thread, too.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

gwar3k1 posted:

When you say modern-looking what do you mean? Design or functionality? What basis are your starting from?

Core skills: HTML, CSS
Design: Photoshop/Illustrator, Flash if you want animation
Functionality: Language+Database

Fancy pants design/functionality: AJAX, jQuery

It really depends what you want. If you just want a blog that looks contemporary, go to wordpress and pick a theme you like.

edit: Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. There are plenty of free online tutorials that cover the same content as books. Try https://www.w3schools.com for the basics. Also, there's Cavern of COBOL in SH/SC with various threads including web development, and specific languages.

Sorry. Functionality I guess. I'm not really design/art-oriented. I might just use wordpress then. Thanks for the info though.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Hi.

A friend is currently tasked with doing a paper on Archontophoenix cunninghamiana/Bangalow Palm and it's invasive effects on the environment of new zealand.

She has scoured libraries and internets (as have I) looking for any substantial source or reference material on the subject and has essentially nothing to show for it.

Since SA has often been a surprising source of information, I was wondering if any goons might know of any papers or significant research done on the palm!

I wasnt sure if this deserved it's own thread, so I started here. Thanks!

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
You might want to try asking in the Science, Academics and Philosophy forum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

Is 2000 the correct year? Toyota's website says some Rav4s from 2009-2010 are subject to a recall due to sticking accelerators, but I don't see anything for the 2000. Stick your VIN number in here and see what it spits out:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/SSCInfo-index.html?siteid=too_toyota_recall_vinlookup

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BorderPatrol posted:

They didn't even ask me.

EDIT: I made sure I did so I didn't have a lapse in coverage, but like Bojanglesworth said it's not really any of their concern.

They asked me, but I guess it was to make sure there wasn't a lapse. Took like 3 minutes total, saving 30 bucks a month now :cool:

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Is 2000 the correct year? Toyota's website says some Rav4s from 2009-2010 are subject to a recall due to sticking accelerators, but I don't see anything for the 2000. Stick your VIN number in here and see what it spits out:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/SSCInfo-index.html?siteid=too_toyota_recall_vinlookup

We've had the car for 11 years, yes. We expect problems to arise, but we're not sure where or what, yet.

kimbo305 posted:

Could be tons of rust seizing the pedal hinge. You confirmed there's no notorious floor mat issues that might have jammed it?

Ask in the AI question thread, too.

I'm sure of it, but I've been asked so many times by three different people now, so I may as well doublecheck.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Raimundus posted:

The car is going to the garage tomorrow morning for maintenance regardless of whether we figure it out, tonight.

If you are lucky it was just the linkage, the actual little metal rod that opens the throttle. If it happened right after you got going it could have been ice, considering where you live, or just a little rust.
Just open the hood and have someone in the car push the gas; up on top of the engine you can actually see a little rod moving in and out -or not moving in and out if it's broken.
Did the problem go away?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Did the problem go away?

Like I said, I unstuck it after about a minute of fighting with it and then went on my merry way to school. I stayed off of the highway coming home.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
I have a (kind of) stupid and small questions.

As I'm sure some of you goons are aware, there were some massive floods in QLD, Australia. 75% of the state was affected and a lot of people's homes were destroyed. How would the reunited/rehomed animals be after all this? Will the house pets be traumatized? Afraid of water and rain? I know that they have basic survival instincts but would this be enough for a domesticated animal?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

revolther posted:

"Da Do Ron Ron Ron"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112&pagenumber=1

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
What is a free, extremely user-friendly software or service for sending emails in bulk?

The ones I've found so far are MailChimp, SendBlaster, and ePostMailer; each has pros and cons. MailChimp seems best so far but its upper limit on subscribers (for free, anyway) is 2000. Is there something with a higher limit that's also free?

It has to be user friendly because the organization I volunteer with that needs it... well, they think "browser" counts as a technical word.

The GTA3 guy
Feb 24, 2005
gahooga
Is there an actual way to download songs off myspace profiles? I've searched exhaustively on google but all I can find are shovelware apps and how-to videos for said shovelware apps. jDownloader, which is what I use to download youtube video, doesn't support this apparently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

The GTA3 guy posted:

Is there an actual way to download songs off myspace profiles? I've searched exhaustively on google but all I can find are shovelware apps and how-to videos for said shovelware apps. jDownloader, which is what I use to download youtube video, doesn't support this apparently...

I use the Ant Video Downloader. It's an older version, but it works for anything flash.