Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I know it's cool to hate on Emmure, as I did....but I caught em live last year, and they put on one hell of a show. I kinda like their new song too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Jesus christ dont start this poo poo.

Im sure the people of 2002 were saying "Boy i sure do miss the days of good ole swedish melodic death metal"

Actually, if I recall, most people were saying stuff like "Boy, I miss the days of deadguy, botch, cave in etc." I'm not saying metalcore is worthless now days, just that there is way more poo poo to wade through to find the decent stuff. Besides, everyone has their "good old days" they miss. I miss cheap shows with full lineups of awesome bands. I miss seeing bands like ETID, Misery Signals, and Darkest Hour at tiny clubs without barriers.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I know it's cool to hate on Emmure, as I did....but I caught em live last year, and they put on one hell of a show. I kinda like their new song too.

I saw them open for Misery Signals and it was awful. The crowd was lovely and disrespectful. Luckily about 100 flat brims disappeared after their set.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I was lucky enough to see ETID last year at a small venue without barriers. Best show of my life.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN

the Bunt posted:

I like Cynic, but holy poo poo they seriously overdo it with the vocoder/autotune vocals.

Cynic was loving incredible when I seen them live. They were spot on, guitarist/vocalist was amazing.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Speaking of Deathcore, Salt the Wound are back! It's not really news, since they already reformed (with the old singer, I tink) before christmas, but they just posted a new song on http://www.myspace.com/saltthewound and a new album is coming in march. Liking the new song.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

A5H posted:

He's right though.
This deathcore movement is embarrassing.

are you aware that other kinds of music are still being made in great abundance?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

krustster posted:

are you aware that other kinds of music are still being made in great abundance?

Yeah? What's your point?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
New born of osiris song off there upcoming album:

http://www.facebook.com/bornofosiris?v=app_178091127385

Hmm yes yes, me likey. Glad to see there embracing there "electronic" side since it always seemed kinda half-assed before.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

A5H posted:

Yeah? What's your point?

Never mind let's not argue :)))

this Born of Osiris song does indeed sound great. Their last tape was good but a bit disappointing....this one is going to be clever for sure.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

krustster posted:

this Born of Osiris song does indeed sound great. Their last tape was good but a bit disappointing....this one is going to be clever for sure.

Care to explain why? I only have there last album and thought it was pretty good, should i spring for their earlier ones also?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Care to explain why? I only have there last album and thought it was pretty good, should i spring for their earlier ones also?

Well their only other one was "The New Reign" which should really be considered an EP since it's like 20 minutes long or something, but it was a lot groovier and had more of the keyboard/electronic stuff. Basically it sounded more like the new song you posted. I thought "A Higher Place" was pretty lackluster by comparison although not bad by any means.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I love me some Osiris. Finally a new track from a band I like that isn't disappointing.

After hearing two songs from The Human Abstract's new poo poo, I am completely un-excited now. so boring.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
Browsing this thread led me to check out Animals as Leaders. Music doesn't really cling to me right away so it'll take a bit to "get it" but I like what I hear. Will keep listening.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone else going to the "This is Hell Tour"? It's a Who's who of deathcore right now.

I Declare War
Chelsea Grin
Veil of Maya
The Acacia Strain
White Chapel

I'll be at the Atlanta date on Friday night!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New born of osiris song off there upcoming album:

http://www.facebook.com/bornofosiris?v=app_178091127385

Hmm yes yes, me likey. Glad to see there embracing there "electronic" side since it always seemed kinda half-assed before.

That new song is pretty sweet, maybe this album won't be a disappointment after all.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I really wish AILD would tour again soon. I still have that ticket from the Houston show that I didn't get to use from a few months back taunting me.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Anyone else going to the "This is Hell Tour"? It's a Who's who of deathcore right now.

I Declare War
Chelsea Grin
Veil of Maya
The Acacia Strain
White Chapel

I'll be at the Atlanta date on Friday night!

I was supposed to be doing merch for IDW, but I got a real job and had to turn it down. Be sure to buy somethin from them!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Just wanted to share some videos with you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icWsSjeCHJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwA5PLi6oTI

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

I love how deathcore went from Swedish Melodic death metal with hardcore influences to simply 'How many record can we make playing only rythmic variations on an open 6th string'

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

hey, that emmure track is at least better than anything off their past two disks

which means it's almost good enough to consider listening to again

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
I've never voluntarily listen to Dr. Acula because of the unforgivably lovely band name, but I had to admit I kind of liked that song. But that's probably just because the first part sounds like Static-X.

Edit: Wikipedia says "Their band name is derived from an alternative perspective from the name of Dracula." Ha, or maybe there's a chance it was derived from a famous Mitch Hedberg joke.

DaveSpillings fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 11, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've heard some Dr. Acula in the past (they came up a lot on my Arsonists Get All The Girls Pandora station) and I've never minded them. Kinda like the stuff I heard then more than that new track, but it was ok too.

Emmure will never be good.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Can I ask....seeing as how Emmure pretty much encompasses every modern deathcore trait out there, why is the designated deathcore SA thread so down on em?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Can I ask....seeing as how Emmure pretty much encompasses every modern deathcore trait out there, why is the designated deathcore SA thread so down on em?

I don't really know. Personally I am an irredeemably huge fan of Emmure and their new album so far has been pretty rocking and grooving to me. They put on fun shows and generally have a good energy to them. Sure they aren't doing mad crazy riffing like Animals as Leaders, but I don't expect them to. Sometimes I like simplistic fun stuff, and Emmure fits that category perfectly.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Bad musicianship, horrible lyrics, gimmicky to the extreme, literally stole their style from The Acacia Strain, vocal thinks he's 50 Cent.

Bad deathcore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rnVGzRmZo

Good deathcore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV8Aoy8dH-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cImyoxFVrJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JWBaTXtwQ

Oh, and by the way, those are all facts and not, you know, opinions.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

But see, The Acacia Strain plays up the whole gangster thing as much as Emmure. ANd in case you haven't seen em, The Acacia Strain (even though I love em)'s lyrics are horrible.

I'm not apologizing for Emmure, I'm just simply pointing out that where deathcore is now is totally encompassed in Emmure, The Acacia Strain, Despised Icon (rip), etc.

I just figured people in the other metal threads would tear Emmure apart., not the thread with the exact genre of music that they represent???

AND HOW IN THE gently caress is BTBAM deathcore? Are you high????

Breaux
Sep 18, 2010

Peace Pound
Between the Buried and Me would definitely not fall under the deathcore label. They are more progressive than anything. If I had to call them anything it would progressive melodic death. I am so bad at labels, and it usually causes a massive thread derail anyway.

I miss the glory days of the Christian hardcore scene. Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child was an amazing album and I still listen to it. Those first few albums from Underoath were really, really good as well. It's too bad that this scene QUICKLY turned to poo poo.

The new generation of Deathcore and Metalcore seems to be lacking quite a bit. A few heavy hitters in my opinion are Winds of Plague, Periphery, Iwrestledabearonce, and I Am Abomination.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
I'm jumping on the 'why you hatin on emmure?' band wagon, seems that they are too easy as a focus for peoples dislike because for some reason it's the done thing. They are what they are, they aren't over complicated etc but sometimes it's nice to listen to something that's simple. whatever I dunno.

Emmure are a good band imo.

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
Yeah you can't really call BTBAM Deathcore, their early albums were more Metalcore than anything. I love the direction they took from album to album. Really shows how much they evolved. Colors is still my favorite album of all time.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

OnlyJuanMon posted:

But see, The Acacia Strain plays up the whole gangster thing as much as Emmure. ANd in case you haven't seen em, The Acacia Strain (even though I love em)'s lyrics are horrible.

I used to see the acacia strain every month or so back after 3750 came out and they would open every show ever. A lot of their tough guy shtick seemed pretty tongue in cheek and they just looked like they were having a lot of fun. I went from hating them to thinking they were a great deal of fun. Haven't seen them since 07 though, so I dunno what they're like nowadays.

As for the post about Christian metalcore a couple posts up, Beloved loving ruled. I still listen to "Failure On" and I'm about as far from Christian as you can be.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Norma Jean and the Chariot are still churning out kickass albums.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^The new Norma Jean was great. I like to pretend The Anti-Mother didn't even happen....

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

It didn't. (in my world).

New CHariot rocks balls too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UO0YR-MBJI

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

XIII posted:

..... I like to pretend The Anti-Mother didn't even happen....

I really need to have the Anti-Mother explained to me. Not in "what were you listening to/being inspired by while you were writing this CD" way. Rather in a "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? kind of way. I'm too terrified to listen to Meridional because of how wretched TA-M was.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I really need to have the Anti-Mother explained to me. Not in "what were you listening to/being inspired by while you were writing this CD" way. Rather in a "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? kind of way. I'm too terrified to listen to Meridional because of how wretched TA-M was.

Just think of TA-M as a cd released by another band that just happened to be named Norma Jean.....and all the members looked exactly like all the members of the real Norma Jean.

I was worried Meridional would be TA-M part 2, but it is NOT.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

It goes:

Redeemer>B.T.M.K.T.C>Meridional>O God>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Antimother.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Speaking of the Defiler video on the previous page, here's a video of the vocalist in the studio - pretty insane that he's only 17 and has a voice like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8leemy-bg

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Mark from chimaira keeps tweeting that he's in the studio and stuff but he's not saying for who.

Does anyone know if there recording a new album?

Ah poo poo answered my own question:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152680

Fuckin' nice! More chimaira is always good. Havent had a bad album since Impossibility :)

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 14, 2011

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

I'm jumping on the 'why you hatin on emmure?' band wagon, seems that they are too easy as a focus for peoples dislike because for some reason it's the done thing. They are what they are, they aren't over complicated etc but sometimes it's nice to listen to something that's simple. whatever I dunno.

Emmure are a good band imo.

I enjoy them a lot and I think their new one is pretty good but they also have some absolutely terrible songs. Felony was, to me, like a collection of both the best and worst they were capable of and mixed all together. Like 2/3 of it is awesome and 1/3 is utter poo poo.

But honestly I think the main (and totally understandable) reasons people tend not to like them is their over-the-top rapper posturing even if it's tongue in cheek, and also the vocals. Even though I've grown to accept it I still have no idea why the talking/pseudo-rapping parts became such an integral part of their sound.

But yeah. I have a kind of weird relationship with their music because I generally go around thinking they're terrible then I remember "hey I actually like them a lot, whoops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

The problem with deathcore fans is, no one is understanding that the Northern hardcore gangster look has been around since loving hatebreed back in 2001. All the flat brim hats are simply an extension of the tough guy new yorker look from Northern hardcore bands like Hatebreed, Terror etc. etc.

Wearing a flat brimmed hat and sleeveless t shirt's isn't emulating rap, it's emulating the way people in the NE have been throwing down for about 10 years now.