Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang sounds like a fun time (never heard of it). Watch that one.

I'll be lying if I said I was able to follow everything that happened in The Big Sleep, but it was pretty drat entertaining. I'll definitely revisit it someday.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

#36 The Elephant Man - More Lynch, why not?

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

#41 The Man Who Wasn't There - I do love the Coens. This has been on my to watch list for a very long time.

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'll be lying if I said I was able to follow everything that happened in The Big Sleep, but it was pretty drat entertaining. I'll definitely revisit it someday.

I wouldn't feel bad about that.

Wikipedia:
The Big Sleep is known for its convoluted plot. During filming, allegedly neither the director nor the screenwriters knew whether chauffeur Owen Taylor was murdered or had killed himself. They sent a cable to Chandler, who told a friend in a later letter: "They sent me a wire ... asking me, and dammit I didn't know either".

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 11, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

One of my favorite comedies.

Snatch. - It had funny moments (particularly with the dog) but I didn't like the frenetic editing style too much. The movie changed who it was following so many times that I felt like I was watching a car commercial.

from imdb:
'Guy Ritchie reportedly paid US $1 million for the use of Madonna's song, "Lucky Star".'
You'd think he would've gotten a discount for using his wifes music.

Also watched:

Strangers on a Train - Bruno is a very creepy character. Especially creepy during the stalking scene. Humorous ending on the carousel.

IMDb list:

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#124 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

#127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

#139 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

#140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

#145 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

new #148 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

new #151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 11, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wild Strawberries for Zogo. Enjoy some Bergman.

Ahh, the good old days, when old people were revered and communities came together to help each other out and help the less fortunate. Ballad of Narayama is nothing like that, it's a brutal messed up film that finds odd glimpses of beauty in the most unexpected of places. I know I missed some cultural references and stuff lost in translation, but still found it pretty engaging and lyrical. There's a constant contrasting of humanity with nature that I thought was pretty cool and well shot, and the tone was an odd mix of uplifting and depressing that worked really well.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Flesh and the Devil I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Baby Face I was really eager to see this a few years ago when the uncensored print was discovered, but I never got around to it.

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam Another silent I need to watch.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

David Holzman's Diary I think it's some kind of Avant-garde mockumentary. Seems interesting.

The Seventh Victim I've enjoyed the Val Lewton films I've seen.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Holy poo poo, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang is Cool Hand Luke. Basically a masterpiece. I really love the pre-Code stuff. Paul Muni puts in about as good an acting job as I've seen in an early-30s film. Unsettling and unflinching, it's like the Hunger of its day.

PA, I want to recommend everything from Golem to The Seventh Victim, but nothing beats the one-two-three punch of Barbara Stanwyck, Theresa Harris, and a frightfully young John Wayne. Enjoy Baby Face, and then spend the rest of your day depressed and disgusted that Theresa Harris was never a lead actress.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Black God, White Devil What a great title.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

New one: The Thin Man What fun!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Diabolik People like this, right? It's looks cool.

The Mirror I really gotta force myself to watch these Russian ones.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I was a little apprehensive about Vertigo because I remembered it, from some long-ago viewing, as being dull and heavy with unremarkable romance. I must have really been an idiot when I was 15. What's lovely about Hitchcock is how his secondary characters are so often so remarkable, and Vertigo had a lot of them. Some were humorous in that dry Hitchcock way (the woman running the inn), some a little bit creepy (the bookshop owner, though not through any fault of his own), one kind of infuriating (the judgmental judge). But Vertigo also has one of Hitchcock's best secondary characters, Midge. She doesn't do much besides be ignored by Scottie and give him a couple pushes when he's investigating but it's impossible to imagine the film without her. Perhaps she's...the earthly love compared to the high, almost heavenly object of Madeleine? I don't know. I hadn't expected, either, that the post-Madeleine segment would be so enthralling. I've never seen a makeover that was so intensely suspenseful.

4/4

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Aguirre: The Wrath of God - A classic, apparently. I adored Fitzcarraldo and apparently this one is even better. I've seen two Herzog films and I'm still not really sure what his style is, maybe this will help.

3) The Mirror - Woop woop, Tarkovsky! I think I rented this once but didn't watch it. The clip I saw of the barn on fire on Youtube was marvelous, though.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Raging Bull - I saw this some time back and I didn't really...get it, I suppose, and I don't remember much of it either.

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are, Vertigo (total: 25)

penismightier, go watch The Mirror, and then make me watch it.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Magic Hate Ball posted:

8) Raging Bull - I saw this some time back and I didn't really...get it, I suppose, and I don't remember much of it either.
The only film on your list I've seen (which was also in this thread). Fairly strong all around.

I can see where the comparisons to Mulholland Dr. come from after now watching Sunset Blvd. and it makes me regret not watching them in the opposite order. What's odd is they talk about how few movie plots there are that its almost become cliched, yet this film really stood apart from anything I've really seen. The atmosphere is outstanding, it really feels like 2 different worlds. Swanson steals the show throughout this which is ironic considering her character. Great movie.

New List:

1. Bridge on the River Kwai - I enjoyed the Great Escape and this film usually is listed alongside it.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
marioinblack, The Bridge on the River Kwai is great.

Black Narcissus was a huge disappointment. After The Red Shoes and Colonel Blimp I was hoping for something great, but this failed to deliver. I didn't feel engaged by the characters in any way. It gets some point for having an interesting setting, and some good shots of that scary cliff. 2.5/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
The Wages of Fear
Was never on my radar, but it sounds like I'll like it.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
The Battleship Potemkin
Always been curious about this.
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
Departures
Didn't this win one of those statues?
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
This is probably one that I'm most ashamed about. Altman is one of my favorites.
Werckmeister Harmonies
I need to learn what a Werckmeister is.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Battleship Potemkin
Always been curious about this.

Будьте з'доровя! The editing is awesome! :ussr:

Dirty Dancing - gently caress it. (See Below)
Wristcutters - heard mixed reviews, and I've never heard a good pitch for the movie.
Dancer in the Dark - after Antichrist, I don't know if I can stomach another Lars Von Trier...:cry:
2001 - A Space Odyssey - I'm honestly astonished that I have not seen it. It seems like I should have because I've otherwise just adored Kubrick's movies.
Das Boot - It has always been in my periphery, but never really on my list.
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - I think I remember hipsters talking this one up.
Being John Malkovich - Seems intriguing...
Lake Mungo - I heard a good review of this one a while back, but nothing else. I like horror, but I prefer to be 'creeped out' and not startled.
Platoon - I feel like it might be a rehash of Full Metal Jacket...
Bullitt - CARS!

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 11, 2011

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Dirty Dancing - Just never had the drive to see it. Most people give me poo poo for this...

Where the heck do you live where most people give you poo poo for this?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't imagine being in a situation where my conversation partner would have the chance to say "You've never seen Dirty Dancing!? Guh!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't imagine being in a situation where my conversation partner would have the chance to say "You've never seen Dirty Dancing!? Guh!"

These are the same people who flip poo poo if you haven't seen stuff like Labyrinth. At one point, I talked to someone who was incredulous that I'd never seen The Voyage of the Mimi.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ Case and point! I was at a party last week where somebody pulled this show up on Youtube and said "Check out young Ben Affleck here -- what? You mean you never saw this in school?!"

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Where the heck do you live where most people give you poo poo for this?

Portland, Oregon. :smugbert:

If it's cool, it sucks.
If it used to be cool, bu then started to get old, then was forgotten, then rediscovered, it's cool again.
To be fair, it's mostly twenty-something women who are giving me grief for not having seen this movie as a child/young adult.

EDIT: agreed with previous poster.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Portland, Oregon. :smugbert:

If it's cool, it sucks.
If it used to be cool, bu then started to get old, then was forgotten, then rediscovered, it's cool again.
To be fair, it's mostly twenty-something women who are giving me grief for not having seen this movie as a child/young adult.

EDIT: agreed with previous poster.

Ah, you're here in Portland. I bet some of your hipster friends went to this.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

Ah, you're here in Portland. I bet some of your hipster friends went to this.

Ugh, I hope not.
In fact, in order to keep this thread on topic: gently caress Dirty Dancing. I'm scratching it from my list.
What's the movie I should watch from my updated list?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm going to go ahead and say that I found Dirty Dancing to be a surprisingly complex and interesting film, though it's certainly not without flaws, the biggest one being that it tries extremely hard to have broad appeal and water down what it has to say. Though it's oddly appropriate in a film about conformity.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Das Boot - It has always been in my periphery, but never really on my list.

is my pick for you.

Johnny Guitar was a good watch. Joan Crawford and Hayden were a bit "stagey", but I loved the support cast, Borgnine is always good to watch and McCambridge was excellent as she stubbornly went for Crawford for some never quite spelled out crime in the past. I really did enjoy the finale being a focus on Crawford vs. McCambridge, with the men left as bystanders.

So my list becomes ...

King Kong The original monster flick.

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Some like it hot I don't know why I've never seen it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
To be fair, Dirty Dancing is pretty good.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
knees of putty, I don't know why you've never seen Some Like it Hot either, but I'm still making you watch it.

It's hard to judge something like The Battleship Potemkin. While some sequences hold up well (obviously the Odessa steps, but also the mutiny chapter), others fail to do so (the final chapter). I can see how influential and ahead of its time it was. 3.5/5

I also watched Departures, and was pleasantly surprised. There was more humor than I expected. It still has some major flaws though (a completely unnecessary voice over and a terrible montage to open the third act). 4/5

I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
The Wages of Fear
Bed and Board
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
This is probably one that I'm most ashamed about. Altman is one of my favorites.
Werckmeister Harmonies
Blazing Saddles
I find Mel Brooks hit or miss, so hopefully this is a hit.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Wages of Fear

This is a great movie. See it.

Got around to Hoop Dreams. What a remarkable movie. I'd put off seeinig it for ages because I have no interest in sports and it's three hours long, and I regret it. This isn't about sports. Or at least it isn't just about sports. It's one of the best looks at race, class, and the American Dream I've ever seen. I'd put it alongside Do the Right Thing in that regard. I can't say that I'm going to watch it over and over again the same way I will Spike Lee's film, but I'm very glad I saw this and would watch it again.

Updated list:

1. Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

3. Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

4. The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

5. Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

meanmikhail, you get Swimming to Cambodia because Spalding Gray is (was :( ) the man.

My assignment was Bourne Ultimatum, I also watched Supremacy:

The Bourne Supremacy - Been a long time since I saw the first movie, and I don't remember much at all. But I remembered the basic gist of it, and the details didn't seem to matter that much in terms of following this sequel. I enjoyed the esponiage thriller aspects of it... a wee bit confusing at first, but as usual the pieces start to fall into place and it becomes an intriguing scenario. But the action left me pretty cold. One expects a certain amount of frenetic editing in modern action films, in this post-MTV era. But here it seems like Greengrass is using insanely quick cuts and ridiculous whip pans to cover up the fact that most of his action sequences are rote and unexciting. It gets kind of annoying. Damon is okay, although he's given very, very little to work with ("look grim and determined" seems like the only direction for 90% of the movie). We'll see what the third film brings. Rating: 6

The Bourne Ultimatum - A little better than Supremacy. The plot is pretty standard government conspiracy blah blah blah, but it moves along nicely and holds your attention well enough. The action scenes are an improvement, and although Greengrass still goes overboard with the hyperkinetic camera antics, this time it's not quite so obnoxious. Julia Stiles is an absolute dud, though, and David Strathairn is surprisingly flat. Not the type of movie that really pushes my buttons, but pretty good, solid fun. Rating: 7

Updated list:

1. Braveheart - It's on 17 lists, it's got to be good, right? I can't imagine myself liking this.

2. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan.

3. Beauty and the Beast - See #2. But the Cocteau film is a favorite, so maybe?

6. The Prestige - I know it's got some kind of twist and I think it has to do with twins.

8. The Green Mile - As I said when I constructed my first list way back, I think I might like it.

10. Aladdin - gently caress me, there's a lot of Disney.

11. The Wrestler - Aronofsky is hit and miss with me.

12. The Phantom of the Opera - Thankfully the 1925 version that has nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd Weber.

13. The English Patient - I know very little about this except it won a bunch of awards and a lot of people got mad about that.

14. Chariots of Life Fire - I've always liked that Vangelis tune.

vvv whoops. typing too fast.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 13, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is Chariots Of Life the sequel to Chariots Of Fire?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

FitFortDanga posted:

8. The Green Mile - As I said when I constructed my first list way back, I think I might like it.
I'm happy to have found a list where I've seen multiple movies. If you think you'll like this, then you probably will.

Bridge on the River Kwai felt like the superior version of the Great Escape. I can't believe how great the story was. Alec Guinness stole the show here and really cemented a fine performance. Jolly good fun.

New List:

1. Memento - Hearkening back to the original idea of this thread. This is a movie my dad really wants me to see.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 10/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 9/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack, make your daddy proud and watch Memento.

Who the hell tries to kill themselves by shooting themselves in the gut? Aside from that I thought Baby Face was a really well constructed little film with a bit of comedy and a bit of drama and a whole lot of wonderful Stanwyck. I do agree Theresa Harris was pretty good, she made the most of a pretty limited role. I really like the precode daring, still somewhat restrained in what it shows but not at all in what is implied. This suffers a bit from early sound editing but most of the time it wasn't all that distracting.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Flesh and the Devil I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam Another silent I need to watch.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

David Holzman's Diary I think it's some kind of Avant-garde mockumentary. Seems interesting.

The Seventh Victim I've enjoyed the Val Lewton films I've seen.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Mirror doesn't change the fact that I don't love Russian cinema the way I do Korean, German, and Japanese, but man it is a beautiful movie. Tarkovsky's camerawork is beyond reproach - and though I still think Ivan's Childhood has his best cinematography, this is stunning. I feel like I need to watch it a few more times, and I'm actually excited to. Tarkovsky loves to dolly his camera while panning, and I never cease to find that movement exhilarating. The space within his frames is a physical presence because of this technique. Also, this movie reinforces my theory that if you want to make a conversation unsettling, frame it with no regard to who's talking.

PA, David Holzman's Diary. I'm very curious to what you think, good or bad.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

The Thin Man What fun!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

New one: Drunken Angel Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10)

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Hey, The Thin Man! I've seen that! And now you get to see it! Yay!

The Gold Rush was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. It was funny, it was sweet, and it ended well for all involved. I was in a dour mood before I watched it, and was rather cheery by the end of it. Not my favorite Chaplin that I've seen, but still really good.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Nashville I do love me some Robert Altman.

Amarcord I've heard less good things about this one compared to Fellini's other work, but he hasn't failed me so far.

Notorious I thought I'd seen this, but when I looked up the info nothing seemed familiar.

Madame de... This sounds right up my alley.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

tokillthesunflower posted:

Nashville I do love me some Robert Altman.

Well this is his best film, as far as I'm concerned, so there you go.

Swimming to Cambodia is terrific. FFD was right: Spalding Gray is amazing. Now I really want to see Soderbergh's collaboration with him (and that new documentary Soderbergh did about him). He's a hell of a performer with a lot to say and he's articulate enough to say it. I laughed several times throughout and felt almost like I was transported to the late 80s, when he's giving this monologue. It never feels like a lecture, nor does it ever feel like a filmed play. It's a true cinematic experience, which I have to give Jonathan Demme credit for (I really need to see more of his documentaries). I wonder why the hell it took me two years to finally watch my copy of it.

Updated list:

1. The Purple Rose of Cairo- I love Woody Allen and have seen a good chunk of his major films. This is the biggest blind spot for me in his filmography, and it’s a doozy.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

meanmikhail giving you The Battle of Algiers, a fantastic movie

Watched Die Hard with my wife and we both enjoyed it, are the others any good? We're planning to check them out

1. Any Fellini movie NOT "La Strada"

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Aliens:
I believe I saw this when I was a kid, but don't remember anything. I saw the original last year

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

meanmikhail posted:

Now I really want to see Soderbergh's collaboration with him (and that new documentary Soderbergh did about him).

Both excellent (I just reviewed the new Soderbergh doc in the Rate the Latest thread). Monster in a Box is great too, and Terrors of Pleasure is good (although I don't think it was ever released on DVD).

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

zandert33 posted:

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

Persona, you clearly like Bergman a lot so you should see one of his most unbelievably awesome films.

This is my first post here, depositing some TSPDT Top 100 Films I haven't seen or barely remember:

1) Citizen Kane- saw it before I liked movies.
2) 2001- All of my obnoxious stoner buddies love this.
3) 8 1/2, La Strada, or La Dolce Vita- Wasn't a huge fan of Amarcord.
4) Godfather Part 2- Just saw Godfather Part 1 for the first time in November, oops.
5) Anything Chaplin- I love Buster Keaton and have never watched a Chaplin movie, what is wrong with me?
6) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance- Just getting into Westerns more seriously in the last year or so.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

zandert33 posted:

Watched Die Hard with my wife and we both enjoyed it, are the others any good? We're planning to check them out

The second one (Die Harder) and fourth one (Live Free or Die Hard) aren't very good, but the third (Die Hard With A Vengeance) is almost as good as the first.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

morestuff posted:

The second one (Die Harder) and fourth one (Live Free or Die Hard) aren't very good, but the third (Die Hard With A Vengeance) is almost as good as the first.

If you watch the fourth one, watch the Unrated version. It's so much better. Regardless, none come close to the first, but they're all enjoyable.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
While Chaplin is certainly no Keaton, you should still watch City Lights, Daunte Vicknabb.

The Wages of Fear was outstanding. After a slightly too long opening, the suspense skyrocketed. As soon as the trucks left my heart was racing for the rest of the movie. This movie was almost perfect. 4.5/5

Europa
Bed and Board
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Werckmeister Harmonies
Blazing Saddles
I find Mel Brooks hit or miss, so hopefully this is a hit.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.
Le Cercle Rouge
No excuse.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hahahaha holy gently caress The Thin Man is awesome. Just a total charmer in every way. I was expecting the wit and charm, but I was amazed at how well directed it was. It had that fluid Hawks-like grace. Ah, this is like the ultimate Sunday afternoon movie. Are the sequels as good?

TenSpadesBeTrump, The Werckmeister Harmonies is about to totally wreck your poo poo.

New List:

New one: The Wind I might not have ever seen a Sjostrom movie.

Drunken Angel Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10)

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

penismightier posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress The Thin Man is awesome. Just a total charmer in every way. I was expecting the wit and charm, but I was amazed at how well directed it was. It had that fluid Hawks-like grace. Ah, this is like the ultimate Sunday afternoon movie. Are the sequels as good?

The sequels aren't as good but I still found them worth watching. I believe I watched the first four movies in a two day session, and found them all at least charming enough to not be disappointments.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

This one.

A Fish Called Wanda was pretty drat funny. Not as Pythonesque as I thought it was gonna be, but it had some classic moments regardless. 7.5/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

#41 The Man Who Wasn't There - I do love the Coens. This has been on my to watch list for a very long time.

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep, #34 A Fish Called Wanda

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
TrixRabbi--The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my favorites. If you want to double your fun, read Camus' The Stranger before or after you watch it. TMWWT pokes fun at it, but the two works are very similar thematically.

Here's my list:

Seven Samurai - I've owned this movie for years and still haven't watched it.

Cries and Whispers - Another one I've owned and haven't watched. In fact, I've never seen a Bergman film!

Persona - I feel like I need to see this before I die

Citizen Kane - I am a bad movie watcher.

Annie Hall - Again, no excuse.

Raising Arizona - This is the only Coen movie I haven't seen (with the exception of Lady Killers.

2001 - I have a lot of Kubrick watching to do, which brings us to...

Dr. Strangelove and

Eyes Wide Shut

Vertigo - I vaguely remember watching this as a kid. Been meaning to see it again as an adult.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Diabolik is ridiculous and fun in the same way the early Bonds are. I've never seen a movie so resolutely determined to ALMOST show tits. Bava really had a great eye, and it's interesting to see him work without horror. I can see why this is such a cult hit, it's fly as hell.

il serpente cosmico, check out Citizen Kane. But don't be one of those dorks who goes it demanding something immediately recognizable as The Best Movie Ever.

New List:

The Wind I might not have ever seen a Sjostrom movie.

New one: Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song I've had enough of The Man.

Drunken Angel Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

New one: Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song I've had enough of The Man.

Aaaaw yeeaah...

The Man Who Wasn't There has to be one of the Coen's most underrated films. I'll definitely have to read The Stranger now. For some reason I thought the movie had a bit more to do with UFOs than it did. It really captured the feel of an authentic 50s-era noir. 8/10

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep, #34 A Fish Called Wanda, #41 The Man Who Wasn't There

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love

Very much so.

I saw it a few years ago with a group that was 50/50 seen it/not seen it. By the end, everyone in the room hated the loving thing.