Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

TsarAleksi posted:

Sometimes color suits an image better than black and white, I find.

Your beautiful San Marco photo inspired me to share mine. Not "Street Photography" per se, just a photo from my honeymoon, but one of my best efforts so far with my Canon SD870. Really want to get into DSLR photography, but alas, probably still a good year or more off money-wise.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I don't think rangefinders work quite the same way. They're smaller and less obtrusive so they don't trip the "oh god an SLR" reflex

Considering the current proliferation of SLRs these days, do you really think that reflex is quite as common as it may have been say...5 years ago? Sometimes I worry about blending in with the 5D but then I pas around a thousand other people with massive Canon Neckstraps (they're so obnoxious, those things) and sorta feel chilled.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A lot of it is also about how you carry yourself.

I think this is another part of my problem. People stare at me sometimes sans-camera, so I always feel pretty self conscious when I've got the little bugger out in public.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The shutters on those things are surprisingly loud, aren't they? A WLF would help, I think the Kiev one should fit a Hassy, right? Those things are so goddamn expensive for a foldy piece of metal.
The shutter sound is kinda loud and also very particular (more of a long pop than a click), but the problem is more the massive black and chrome contraption in front of your face. It makes people curious (which can be nice).
The one trick to not getting in trouble that works all day everyday is shooting with my hot friend. Lots of people talk to us but no one bothers us.
Wtb boobs and long curly hair :unsmith:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Two shots I liked from whistler, taken with my first generation Nikon F. For such a heavy old camera you might expect it to have a loud mirror slap or shutter, but it is quieter than any other camera I have save my N80 and Yashica tlr.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Wtb boobs and long curly hair :unsmith:

I've got boobs but they could probably do with a shave.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've found any overtly weird camera basically exempts you from the "being approached by random assholes" clause of street photography. TLR, press camera, whatever.

From Vice Magazine interview with Stephen Shore

Did being so conspicuous affect the photos?
The year before American Surfaces, in ’71, I was using a small 35 mm. I had hair to my shoulders and looked sort of like a hippie, and every now and then I’d be photographing in a neighborhood and some resident would call the police. The cops would ask me, “What are you doing?” and every now and then I was told to get out of the neighborhood. Once I started using a view camera that never happened. That the camera is so conspicuous gives it even greater license. The extreme examples of this are two works from a series that I’ve never shown before—New York City photographs that I did with an 8x10 of people interacting on the street. And I’d never before been more invisible. I would stand at 72nd and Broadway or 52nd and 5th with this big camera, and people would just walk around me. I photographed people at crosswalks, people hailing a cab, and I’d be six feet away from them taking their picture with an 8x10 camera, and no one would be paying any attention to me.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

JCP110110-7 by mca88, on Flickr

JCP110110-4 by mca88, on Flickr

JCP110110-2 by mca88, on Flickr

JCP110110-5 by mca88, on Flickr

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Awesome thread. I love street photography more than anything else. If you look for it there are so many photo opportunities every second around you you just need to be shameless about it and luck helps as well. So far nobody got in my face about taking their pictures and I have also mastered the art of acting like I was taking the picture of something else and they just happened to be in the frame at the time. :v:

A couple of mine from last summer:

shykid10
May 4, 2009

No Pants Day Los Angeles by stuartwainstock, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Went downtown with a friend of mine visiting to take some photos, came across this guy:

Spray Paint Dude by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Jesus Dude by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

jaewon
May 11, 2003
I recently started to get into Street Photography; living in Las Vegas gives me a lot to work with. I'm use a Canon 450D/XSi with a 50mm 1.8. Here's a few of my photos. (I posted these in the SAD thread, I hope its okay to cross post).

Good, you brought the penguin by LV Photog, on Flickr

On an island by LV Photog, on Flickr

How much? by LV Photog, on Flickr

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Others have said I'm not getting into the scene with my camera but I'm observing from the outside. Others said they were a bit too contrasty. I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't be crunching blacks so hard, but I like crunched blacks.

Ignored by mca88, on Flickr

Would you miss it? by mca88, on Flickr

Playing for the Suits by mca88, on Flickr

You can't photograph here by mca88, on Flickr

Important Suit Business by mca88, on Flickr

Mobile Sharpening by mca88, on Flickr

Unipro by mca88, on Flickr

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I guess these are street:

Untitled by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
IF YOU CAN DO IT I CAN DO IT TOO

FLOODPICS GO

Other random street images.

Click here for the full 469x700 image.

Click here for the full 700x490 image.

Click here for the full 483x700 image.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

that last one would be so good if the A was unlit too!

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
If the G was unlit then it'd say PAIN and be black n white n emo.

HEY ANDY

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Schofferhofer posted:

If the G was unlit then it'd say PAIN and be black n white n emo.

HEY ANDY

hey mr butt

post some photos

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

some stuff from Budapest

Baller lady

Under the street counts as street rite?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 30, 2011

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I want to take photos of urban stuff like alleyways and streets but not people. What category does this fall into? Urban landscape?

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

I have always been fascinated with people watching, even from a young age, and this thread combined with my new camera purchase has given me the inspiration to give this a serious crack - thanks for all the great shots.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Auditore posted:

I want to take photos of urban stuff like alleyways and streets but not people. What category does this fall into? Urban landscape?

Mr Stuart,

Streetscapes, landscapes, urban photography, abstract, street even.

Depends how keen you are to give it a name and be definite about it. Streetscape is probably the most relevant term.

-wb

jaewon
May 11, 2003
Cross posting from the SAD thread.

Bang by LV Photog, on Flickr

No fly zone by LV Photog, on Flickr

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Second one is excellent. Who took those?

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
My first street photography attempt while on my break at work. I think my stealth attempt was too obvious.

Click here for the full 478x640 image.

Errands by capacity4action, on Flickr

Down the Middle by capacity4action, on Flickr

Street Musician by capacity4action, on Flickr

I think the last one seemed overbaked. The guy was under a shade so I have to crank up the fill light and tweak the curves.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Duckjob posted:

Errands by capacity4action, on Flickr

Down the Middle by capacity4action, on Flickr

Street Musician by capacity4action, on Flickr

I think the last one seemed overbaked. The guy was under a shade so I have to crank up the fill light and tweak the curves.

The "hidden" camera is hilarious. The first guy strolling, I think you pulled too much recovery on his shadow side, it looks really wonky overall.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

I've just started to get back into photography as a hobby, and I don't shoot a lot of street, but here's one from a few years ago:

Penny-farthing by Celia Draws, on Flickr

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
I have such a hard time snapping pictures of people who I'm not working for. First time I tried to shoot street. Worried I'd piss people off. Need to get over it.

Took my new lens out for the first time.

Are these interesting at all? Please be honest.

So pissed I missed the guy on the left. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is your new lens really that soft? Also, LoCA's aplenty, ouch.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
Yeah, it's a 135mm f2 with defocus control - it's really aberrationny wide open. Wondering if I have a bad copy. :smith:

Also, LoCA?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
"Are these interesting at all? Please be honest."

No, they aren't. Hope that helps.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Street shots with a telephoto are rarely interesting IMO. Go wide, get close to people, be patient and wait for something to happen.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The iPhone is so stealth it's ridiculous. Reasonable quality, totally silent and a common handheld item so it doesn't raise suspicion unless you're really obvious. Great for catching people acting naturally.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

Gryi posted:

I kinda like this one (mainly I love the bokeh) but I think I'd crop it and cut her off just above the knee.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, I like the way a lot of telephoto street shots look. I can see why some people might not, but to each their own.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Befriended some people who were a little down on their luck and took their pics. I took all of these at f/8 because I wanted sharp pictures, but I think I need to need to go with a little shallower DOF in the future.

What, Me Worry? by Jenseales, on Flickr

Drifter Deux by Jenseales, on Flickr

Drifter by Jenseales, on Flickr

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004

Reichstag posted:

"Are these interesting at all? Please be honest."

No, they aren't. Hope that helps.

That's what I thought, actually. A few of my friends like them but I suppose I need to try wider.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Photos of destitute people with wrinkles, forging a new path in street photography

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Duckjob posted:

My first street photography attempt while on my break at work. I think my stealth attempt was too obvious.

I'm going to do this, except I will cut a hole in a full page camera advert. Replacing the printed lens for me lens. :coolbert:

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dukeku posted:

Photos of destitute people with wrinkles, forging a new path in street photography

Please change the thread title to this Brad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HPL posted:

The iPhone is so stealth it's ridiculous. Reasonable quality, totally silent and a common handheld item so it doesn't raise suspicion unless you're really obvious. Great for catching people acting naturally.
Sorry to burst your bubble, buy nobody looks anything resembling stealthy holding an iPhone perpendicular to the ground.