Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
So just like a bunch of other goonettes I am now sold! I am looking at getting a MeLuna since it seems to be sized the smallest and I seem to have a very short.. skinny(?) vagina.

I have a question for anyone who is using the MeLuna, did you get the Klassik or the Soft? The information for both says basically the same thing and I don't want to mess anything up.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Banana Cat posted:

The diameter of the small Lunette could be too small for you--you might need a cup with a larger diameter (like...the large Lunette :D). I guess some women also have a lower cervix on certain days of their period, so it's possible your cervix is dipping down into the Lunette and making it overflow, like shoving your fist into a glass full of water. Definitely try the Moon Cup--since its shape is a little different, you may just need a cup that molds to your body better--but if the diameter is the problem, then you'll probably have to try a different cup since the small Lunette and Moon Cup have the same diameter.

I currently have 4 menstrual cups and at one point I had around 12, so I've tried a lot of brands trying to get one that worked best for me. In hindsight, 12 was a little excessive though :psyduck:

Edit: Actually, rereading your post, the cup shouldn't be moving around that much inside of you. You may just need a wider cup to keep it lodged in place. The small Lunette (and the Moon Cup) have a diameter of 41mm. The large Lunette has a diameter of 46mm, so perhaps try that? The small DivaCup is 43mm.

That was very helpful. Thanks! I guess I didn't even consider diameter. Maybe I should have gotten something a bit wider. I'll try the Moon cup since I already ordered it. I should have posted this before I ordered a new cup :doh:

You sound like a pro! What is your favorite cup if you don't mind me asking?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

So just like a bunch of other goonettes I am now sold! I am looking at getting a MeLuna since it seems to be sized the smallest and I seem to have a very short.. skinny(?) vagina.

I have a question for anyone who is using the MeLuna, did you get the Klassik or the Soft? The information for both says basically the same thing and I don't want to mess anything up.

:confused:

The Klassics are stiffer than the Softs. Some women are all "OMG the Klassic is the least flexible on the market, it's SO HARD!" so when I got mine, I thought it was going to be super hard to bend or something. It is a bit stiffer than other cups, but nowhere near how I was expecting--if it's your first cup, you won't have a reference point so it won't matter at all, I promise. It bends and flexes just fine for all the folding you need to do with it. The Softs, however, are incredibly flexible, and I think a tad bit thinner than the Klassics. The Softs and Klassics each have their own assortment of colors they come in, so honestly, for your first cup I'd just recommend choosing based on what color you like. Oh, and if you order from the official MeLuna site, they USED to throw in a "seconds" cup for free with each order--a cup that had slight imperfections like wonky color or whatnot, but was totally usable--so you'd basically get two cups for the price of one. I don't know if they still do that, but you might end up being able to try both if you're lucky :).

lunarian" posted:

That was very helpful. Thanks! I guess I didn't even consider diameter. Maybe I should have gotten something a bit wider. I'll try the Moon cup since I already ordered it. I should have posted this before I ordered a new cup

You sound like a pro! What is your favorite cup if you don't mind me asking?

Ha ha, not a pro, but I was in the middle of setting up an informational site about menstrual cups at one point because I was so fascinated by them. It had a few pages done with tons of pictures, but I never made it go live; maybe I should think about it again. They are still fascinating!

Let's see, I've tried a small Diva, small Miacup, small, medium, and large MeLuna Klassics and Softs, large Lunette, large Ladycup, large Fleurcup, and large and small Yuukis. I absolutely love both the large Lunette and small Yuuki, and I just got a Miacup a couple of weeks ago that I've "tried on," for lack of a better phrase, but haven't had a chance to use on my period yet. The only thing I don't like about the large Lunette is that sometimes it takes a bit of prodding to make it open up inside me, and the only thing I don't like about the Yuuki is that its shorter length makes it hard to reach to pull out sometimes. The Miacup sort of falls in the middle of those two, so I'll see how it goes. However, I have the blue Lunette (the "Selene" color) and that gives the Lunette enough extra points in my book to make it my absolute most favoritest cup at the moment. :dance:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I bought a Divacup because of the GBS thread and it's one of the best purchases I've made. NO MORE PANTY BLOOD STAINS. The fiance isn't really grossed about it, he's pretty good with dealing with menstruation stuff. He's just happy I'm happy.

I've also tried to tell other women about it and usually am just met with disgust. It's kinda sad.

Also, when you're boiling your cup on the stove to sanitize it...don't leave it there for a bit to talk on the phone. It will catch fire, send ashes everywhere, and ruin your pot...takes forever to clean the kitchen up afterwards, too. :(

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.
Sorry If this has been covered before, must've missed it.

How easy are these to insert if you're a fatty?

I've always had really heavy periods,even as a skinny teen, but I gained a ton of weight after I stopped breeding/nursing/started going through the change (pre-menopausal at 40-YAY!). I'm finally losing some of it but lil'-old gunty sometimes gets in the way of stuff. I'm fine inserting tampons with stiff applicators but am concerned about the squishy, flexible nature of these cups.

Should I hold off until I lose more weight?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If you can manage to get a tampon up there you should be fine getting a cup up there. Getting it out might be a different question. How far up can you reach, as it were? If you're able to penetrate you should be fine, if you can't even do that then yeah you should wait.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
I have joined the club, sisters. My first cup, orange M-sized MeLuna with ball grip arrived yesterday morning, luckily just in time for my period. And I love it.

I really should've done this years ago. :(

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
I have used a DivaCup for about 3 years I think? and love it. I used to soak through a super tampon in an hour, and considering music lessons in college were an hour I got tired really fast with washing a lot of stained clothing. I fill up the DivaCup in about 3-4 hours on my heavy days, which have gotten heavier because I now have a Paragard. I didn't stop using the cup when I got the IUD as the doctor who inserted my Paragard did not seem concerned with using the cup, but I did try to take care that I released the suction first. I would get a little cramp after I pulled it out and put it back in for several cycles, but I think I have adjusted to it.

My IUD has made my cramps REALLY WEIRD. I have super awful cramps at varying intensities of horrible for 7 days before I actually start bleeding, and then I don't get cramps at all during the bleeding part. It kind of makes my period feel like it's 2 weeks, but at least with the cup I don't have to worry about timing how quickly I will fill my tampon up, and wearing the liners on my heavy days means I still have an extra 15-30 minutes to get to a bathroom.

I think I have been doing the seal wrong, though, because I have never had the cup not leak except when I was on my light days, and I simply can't imagine being able to reach the rim to check the seal on my cervix without squatting all the way down...which is embarrassing in your office bathroom. Or maybe it's leftover blood in the canal? Anyhoot, I wear the panty liners, which you can get a box of like 500 for the same price as a box of pads or tampons, so it's still an improvement.

After each cycle I usually boil it for about 5 minutes and then add some isopropyl alcohol and boil it for another few minutes. It removes any odor and/or staining. If you add alcohol to boiling water, be careful because the water will boil up at you like a demon snake trying to snatch your hand off.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Chickenfat posted:

Sorry If this has been covered before, must've missed it.

How easy are these to insert if you're a fatty?

I've always had really heavy periods,even as a skinny teen, but I gained a ton of weight after I stopped breeding/nursing/started going through the change (pre-menopausal at 40-YAY!). I'm finally losing some of it but lil'-old gunty sometimes gets in the way of stuff. I'm fine inserting tampons with stiff applicators but am concerned about the squishy, flexible nature of these cups.

Should I hold off until I lose more weight?

I'm a fatty. And I have horribly disgusting, messy periods. I was sort of concerned about that as well before deciding to purchase one. I can happily report that I have no problems whatsoever getting it in and out. I am a stay at home mom, though. I probably spread my legs a lot farther than would be comfortable in a public bathroom stall at work or school.

Also- I'm 37. I absolutely cannot remove it for dumping on my lightest days (when it isn't very full and gravity isn't coming into play with the weight of the cup) first thing in the morning. I'm getting older and my back is a mess in the mornings when I first get up and I just can't contort myself properly until I've been up and moving around for an hour.

I cannot say enough good things about menstrual cups. I wish someone would have told me about them when I was in my teens. So much of my life has been miserable because of my stupid period and this cup has made even my most terrifyingly super flow days just a day like any other day. My diva cup has made my period an absolute non-issue. It's amazing.

For those of you just trying one out- check out the YouTube videos on folding. It will likely take you a few different techniques until you find the one that's right for you. Also, if you don't like how it feels, try turning it inside out. Sounds weird, but it made all the problems I had on my first couple tries disappear.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

abgushte badamjan posted:

I think I have been doing the seal wrong, though, because I have never had the cup not leak except when I was on my light days, and I simply can't imagine being able to reach the rim to check the seal on my cervix without squatting all the way down...which is embarrassing in your office bathroom. Or maybe it's leftover blood in the canal? Anyhoot, I wear the panty liners, which you can get a box of like 500 for the same price as a box of pads or tampons, so it's still an improvement.

The cup doesn't have to be jammed all the way up near your cervix when you insert it, it can be a little lower--unless it sort of moves up to your cervix on its own. Sometimes that happens and then yeah, it's difficult to check the rim. It's possible your leaking is leftover blood, but if you have the small DivaCup, you may also just need a cup with a wider diameter. The small Diva has a diameter of 43mm which is kind of in the small-medium size range in the world of cups. The Keeper and Keeper Moon Cup have a diameter of 44mm, and the large Diva and large Lunette have a diameter of 46mm. Those are the only cups you can get at retailers in the U.S. or off amazon.com or whatnot, assuming you're in the U.S. Otherwise, you could import another cup from another overseas company, but I bet a large Diva or large Lunette would help with the leaking.

Do you check to make sure the cup is popping open correctly inside you? Sometimes it's easy to feel as if you inserted it correctly, but if you run your finger along the outside in a circle inside you (you don't even have to check the rim, just the body of the cup), you might feel a dent in the cup that means it didn't quite open all the way. In that case you could try to wiggle it open, or pull it out and reinsert it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Dude checking in. MY GIRLFRIEND started using one of these about 6 months ago and it's loving incredible. Not only does she not have to stress at all about her period any more (other than "oh poo poo my period is coming up, time to put my cup in") but because of this sex is better, going out in public is better, and general quality of sleep is better because we don't have to worry about random gushes of blood at unpleasant intervals.

Seriously, once you have slept through a night and spent a morning happy in bed without having minor blood-related emergencies, you will be so goddamn happy you will never go back. And I don't even have a vagina.

Oh yeah, adding that fooling around/foreplay is possible with a cup that is completely out of the realm of possibility with any other female product. If you are in a relationship and generally shut down sexually during your period due to anything other than cramps this is one more little bonus. If you are a dude and are grossed out by this concept you are a goddamn moron and need to seriously reevaluate your priorities.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 12, 2011

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I'm considering getting one of these. Would my activities be limited at all? Like could I still do yoga? Swim? Ride a bike? Ride a horse?
Also I know certain brands come in small and large but the brands themselves vary in width/length. How do I know what width and length will work for me? Trial and error? Do I need to put a ruler all up in my vagina to measure it?

grammagoulis
Jul 1, 2007

JustinMorgan posted:

I'm considering getting one of these. Would my activities be limited at all? Like could I still do yoga? Swim? Ride a bike? Ride a horse?
Also I know certain brands come in small and large but the brands themselves vary in width/length. How do I know what width and length will work for me? Trial and error? Do I need to put a ruler all up in my vagina to measure it?

The cup is probably the best thing out there for active people, since you don't have to worry about the infamous tampon torpedo every time your abs squeeze a little. I think most people find their perfect cup by doing a little research and then some trial and error. I mean, you kinda, sorta know what size your vag is, right? Then you look to see which cups run smaller/larger, longer/shorter and pick the one you think will work best, and, if it's not right, pick another based on whatever wasn't working the first time.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

JustinMorgan posted:

Here's a handy post to give you an idea of what cup would be good for you: http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/1285963.html

Basically it's nearly impossible to recommend a cup for someone else, because everyone has a different kind of body. You just need to have a rough estimate of what you need and take the plunge, you can always try something else if it doesn't work out for you.

Embrace the Random
Dec 16, 2005
I have never even HEARD of these, yet I am convinced already!

I am looking at a MeLuna small, I can only use light and regular tampons on heavy days and I had to have a section because someone's head wouldn't fit during delivery! I'm hoping this isn't too small, but we'll see!

Also, thanks for this thread!

EDIT: I found somewhere to buy. Hooray!

Embrace the Random fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 12, 2011

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

grammagoulis posted:

I mean, you kinda, sorta know what size your vag is, right?

Well, I'm not sticking my fingers in other girls' vaginas for comparison?

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

JustinMorgan posted:

Well, I'm not sticking my fingers in other girls' vaginas for comparison?

I would base it more on what size tampons you usually use - would a super plus hurt? Would a junior be too narrow? Also, I learned that I have a fairly shallow vaginal canal compared to other people by finding out that Tampax tampons do not, in fact, stick out the end of other people's vaginas when they absorb liquid and swell a little lengthwise.

Speaking of tampons, I found another reason to be grateful for the cup a few weeks ago: apparently o.b. tampons went out of stock all over the place and women were buying them on eBay for $40 a box because stores just didn't have them. I would have gone completely insane if I was unable to find o.b. brand and my husband would have divorced me for paying $40 for a box of tampons.

Odrade
May 1, 2009
I've been using a mooncup (UK) for about two years and can confirm that they really do improve your life, probably the best product I've ever purchased.

Two things: does anyone else find that they can get a bit sore down there towards the end of their period? I think maybe I'm being a bit rough/too fast when I'm putting it in and taking it out but maybe it's normal?

Also (kind of related to the post above) does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with leftover tampons? I have a whole bunch in a wash bag in my closet that I'm just never going to use because the thought of using a tampon again makes me feel extremely gross. Does anyone know of anyone who might take them? Maybe a woman's centre? I don't want to just throw them away because someone might be able to use them and god knows tampons aren't as cheap as they should be.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Odrade posted:

I've been using a mooncup (UK) for about two years and can confirm that they really do improve your life, probably the best product I've ever purchased.

Two things: does anyone else find that they can get a bit sore down there towards the end of their period? I think maybe I'm being a bit rough/too fast when I'm putting it in and taking it out but maybe it's normal?

Also (kind of related to the post above) does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with leftover tampons? I have a whole bunch in a wash bag in my closet that I'm just never going to use because the thought of using a tampon again makes me feel extremely gross. Does anyone know of anyone who might take them? Maybe a woman's centre? I don't want to just throw them away because someone might be able to use them and god knows tampons aren't as cheap as they should be.

A woman's shelter may take them. They'll definitely take any that are in an unopened box, not sure about whether they'd take them after you've opened the box. Or you could just go into public bathrooms and leave them, like a tampon fairy. I found that they gradually just went away on their own when I left them in my guest bathroom under the sink - friends would come over, find they needed one and root around until they found one. I had about a half a box of them when I got my cup and it took about a year, but eventually they all found homes apparently.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Odrade posted:

Also (kind of related to the post above) does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with leftover tampons?
I would just keep them just in case (in case you ever tear your cup or do something crazy like another person in this thread did when she boiled and ruined hers), unless you have a ton of them for some reason. A backup cup's better however.

Not sure how everyone else in the thread cleans them, but boiling water poured into a small container + cup + heaping tablespoon of baking soda and leaving it there for a half hour is something you guys should try, probably after washing/boiling a bit or scrubbing lightly with one of those teflon safe scrubbing sponges. It'll be like new.

Also, the wiccan thing. These things have gotten a bad rep on the internet due to said group of people being the ones talking about it a lot, unfortunately. Just chiming in to say that I'm also a non wiccan/poly/barefoot hippy user (and I kind of run away from said groups).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 14, 2011

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I've finally decided to get a medium sized, soft Meluna. I was wondering about the whole "get a large menstrual cup if you're over 35 even if you've never had kids" thing. This site -- http://www.environmenstruals.co.nz/ -- says that while that is generally true, if you do a lot of pilates, yoga, or other core activities, you don't need to. So I won't be going for the large. It was nice to finally find a clear explanation.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
I have recently gone off of the pill (Seasonique, which gave me 2 day periods 4 times a year) and am now having the kind that put you in bed for days. Tomorrow I am going to Whole Foods and getting the Diva Cup and trying this out

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

slinkimalinki posted:

I've finally decided to get a medium sized, soft Meluna. I was wondering about the whole "get a large menstrual cup if you're over 35 even if you've never had kids" thing. This site -- http://www.environmenstruals.co.nz/ -- says that while that is generally true, if you do a lot of pilates, yoga, or other core activities, you don't need to. So I won't be going for the large. It was nice to finally find a clear explanation.

Yeah, I've go the smaller Diva cup even though I'm 38 and have had a kid (although she was c-section I could never get a straight answer about whether that mattered) and it works just fine for me.

Oh - on the subject of leftover tampons, I gave mine to a friend who I know is squirmy enough about her lady bits that I would never be able to convince her that a cup is the way to go.

I Wish I Was fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 15, 2011

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

ThreeFish posted:

I'm a fatty. And I have horribly disgusting, messy periods. I was sort of concerned about that as well before deciding to purchase one. I can happily report that I have no problems whatsoever getting it in and out. I am a stay at home mom, though. I probably spread my legs a lot farther than would be comfortable in a public bathroom stall at work or school.

Also- I'm 37. I absolutely cannot remove it for dumping on my lightest days (when it isn't very full and gravity isn't coming into play with the weight of the cup) first thing in the morning. I'm getting older and my back is a mess in the mornings when I first get up and I just can't contort myself properly until I've been up and moving around for an hour.

I cannot say enough good things about menstrual cups. I wish someone would have told me about them when I was in my teens. So much of my life has been miserable because of my stupid period and this cup has made even my most terrifyingly super flow days just a day like any other day. My diva cup has made my period an absolute non-issue. It's amazing.

For those of you just trying one out- check out the YouTube videos on folding. It will likely take you a few different techniques until you find the one that's right for you. Also, if you don't like how it feels, try turning it inside out. Sounds weird, but it made all the problems I had on my first couple tries disappear.

ThreeFish, Thanks so much for your reply,
I'm a SAHM too so I usually time my outing for when I'm not bleeding like a stuck pig. But sometimes you need to be where you need to be and I've had enough accidents to know that my teen-aged boys wouldn't appreciate me showing up with a bloody crotch at school.

Thanks for steering me to the Youtube folding videos, they'll be really helpful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Threefish just sold me on this poo poo with the words "horrible, disgusting, heavy, clotty" and other delightful describing terms. So gently caress it, I'll buy in. I go through $20-$30 a month in tampons anyway (I've gone through 40 super plus in like a day and a half before). Where the hell's the harm at this point? It would be so drat nice to stand up during the 3-6 days of random 15-30 minute super plus tampon runs without it being a mad dash, leg-crossed scamper to the bathroom.. especially when that spontaniously turns from that to "Oh hey, period just decided to mostly stop again. Great. I can actually feel this thing tearing at me while I'm trying to yank it out".

I also had no idea that tampons aren't supposed to be like, slightly wedged in there. And maybe gently encouraged to stay put, or bargained with.

:psyduck: Now I just have to figure out this sizing thing. The LJ post is super helpful, though.

E: I've been to an ob gyn, had like four ultrasounds done and they decided I have a really cool cyst that likes to hang out on my left ovary which isn't helping matters at all. But it's small so it can just chill, or something.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 17, 2011

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

If you have a ton of leftover tampons and/or pads, as long as the little wrappers are intact, any food bank or shelter would love to have them. Just stick them in a big ziploc bag and drop them off. In particular,battered women and children shelters desperately need these, though they may choose to meet up with you someplace other than the shelter for security reasons.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
I was JUST ranting to my boyfriend about the wonders of menstrual cups (on Valentine's day of all times) and how I have desperately wanted one for a few years now but the thought just slips my mind constantly. He said, "You are very passionate about this!" and my response was "I AM VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT MY VAGINA" but that is neither here nor there.

Once I wrangle some cash together I am totally getting a blue or green Lunette cup despite the slight absurdity in buying something for its color when it is going to be promptly placed into unseen places, but whatever. Thanks for reminding me to get on this and for all the great info!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Lunette is apparently soon discontinuing their green (Diana) cup, but they're introducing two new colors. I've been wanting a Diana, but now I'm torn between buying it NOW NOW BEFORE THEY'RE GONE and waiting to see what the new colors are :).

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Chickenfat posted:

ThreeFish, Thanks so much for your reply

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Threefish just sold me on this poo poo with the words "horrible, disgusting, heavy, clotty" and other delightful describing terms.

My first converts! I am so happy!

Seriously, though. I know women are famous for saying, "My periods are AWFUL!" You guys can completely trust that I really mean it when I say this thing changed my life. I couldn't leave my house at all when I was on my period. At night, I'd wear a super super plus tampon, 2 overnight pads strategically stacked in my underwear, AND have a large, fluffy towel carefully wrapped in and out between my legs. None of it ever did any good. All my underwear and sheets were always ruined.

After I found the fold that worked for me, and learned to flip my cup inside out- I have not had one drop of blood anywhere. On my heaviest days I may have to empty my cup every hour or so, but that's perfectly fine with me. This is heaven compared to the mess that was tampons and pads. I could go on and on about how bad things were for me, but I don't have to. The cup made my periods not matter a bit. I am so in love with that!

Don't give up if it isn't working for you right away. Bodies are built so differently and you just have to find what works for you. Spend a day getting used to folding, inserting and removing it before your period starts. It also helps to know where your cervix is. Mine is super low, which is why I have to flip the cup inside out to make it shorter. I already knew my cervix was low because on super light days, only the bottom half of my tampons would absorb anything. The entire top half would be pristine. If you are leaking with the cup, it is very possible the cup sits and seals too high to be able to catch everything coming from your cervix.

trinity3infinity
Jul 25, 2007
I just picked up a diva cup from my local co-op. I'm going to be traveling soon and I want to try it out since I'll be in a car driving for long periods of time and don't want to worry about having to stop to change out a tampon. Would it be safe to use sex toy cleaner on this for sanitation while on the road? I'm assuming that if this cleaner is safe enough for my silicone sex toys that it would be fine to use on the diva cup.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

trinity3infinity posted:

I just picked up a diva cup from my local co-op. I'm going to be traveling soon and I want to try it out since I'll be in a car driving for long periods of time and don't want to worry about having to stop to change out a tampon. Would it be safe to use sex toy cleaner on this for sanitation while on the road? I'm assuming that if this cleaner is safe enough for my silicone sex toys that it would be fine to use on the diva cup.

I've heard people doing that. From what I recall, the Divacup is made from silicon so it should be just fine. :)

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

trinity3infinity posted:

Ah god yes, that is good to know. I'm going on a long trip to the real third world next month and will have to clean the blasted thing somehow.

Mielie
Feb 15, 2011
I was quite keen to try out a menstrual cup because I was leaving civilization for a year, and buying one menstrual cup instead of a year's supply of tampons just seemed like a better idea. The only cup I could find in my area was the MPowercup (South African make, I think), and I eagerly tried it out. I was quite impressed with myself when I got it in (as it seemed a bit huge to me), and walked around finding it surprisingly comfortable. Then I decided to take it out... Oh God...
I don't know if it's just my body's shape, but that cup sat so high! I could not get my fingers around the bottom to squeeze it, and I couldn't get a grip on the stem. By this time I was seriously freaking out: It's stuck!! Must I get someone else to take it out?! Who?! I furiously Googled for advice and read that relaxing should help you get it out. I tried to, I really did, but the idea that I had a foreign object stuck in my vagina made me panic. I basically had to run around the house looking for tools I could use to break the suction of that horrible cup my body was clamping on to. Anyway, I got the thing out, but felt a bit abused and traumatized afterwards. I just could not get myself to use that cup again, and I think my irrational fear of it getting stuck forever will just lead to my muscles clamping up around it again.
After reading this thread, I'm inspired to give the cup a second chance. Do you guys think I have the wrong shape menstrual cup, and that's why it sits so high that I struggle to reach it? Or do I just need to practice squatting and relaxing? I'm definitely getting some "removal" tongs for next time... just in case.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Try it again, now that you're a little more prepared for what it's like, but it also might just be the wrong cup for you. Some cups don't work at ALL with some women--for me it was the Ladycup. I'd already tried 8 or so cups before the Ladycup, so I wasn't prepared for the horrible suction issues I had with it. It took me about ten minutes to get it out because I just couldn't get a good grip on it like I could with other cups, and breaking the suction was a nightmare. I've never tried the MPower, but it's totally possible it just won't work for you. Are you still in South Africa? There's another cup manufactured there called the Miacup. It's slimmer and has bigger airholes to help with the suction. Perhaps if you try the MPower again and it still gives you problems, you could try that one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You can also just slide a finger up around it and push the rim closed to break the seal. It might be a little bit messy, but it'd be easier on you than panicking.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

^That didn't work with me and the LadyCup. Believe me, I tried, I just don't know what went wrong there. I was figuring something similar might be going on with Mielie, but you're right that breaking the rim seal with a finger should be the first step in trying to dislodge a very stuck cup :).

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
So, I totally avoided the first thread because I thought the idea of Diva cups/etc totally gross. But, after reading this whole thing, you all have kinda persuaded me into looking into cup. Where can you get one in the US? Are these mainly online things, or can I go to my local CVS/Walgreens/generic drugstore?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Anya posted:

So, I totally avoided the first thread because I thought the idea of Diva cups/etc totally gross. But, after reading this whole thing, you all have kinda persuaded me into looking into cup. Where can you get one in the US? Are these mainly online things, or can I go to my local CVS/Walgreens/generic drugstore?

Amazon carries DivaCups. Aside from that, try your local WholeFoods type grocery store.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fionnoula posted:

Amazon carries DivaCups. Aside from that, try your local WholeFoods type grocery store.

And then go back to Amazon when you find out that they cost twice as much at your organic grocer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

It's a little gross at first, but I'm pretty drat hooked. I'd just go the amazon route. Even with my mailing stuff, where it usually takes at least a week minimum for anything, I got it in like four days. I think they carry them at Aafes if you have military base access, but they're more expensive than amazon too.. and I don't know if it's just an overseas us thing, or if it's all Aafes.

• Locked thread