Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Volkswagen being associated with an evil empire seems like a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Emperor's men recover Darth Vader, barely alive after his severe burning, and rebuild him as the monster we see in the OT around the time the Republic officially becomes the Empire. The Jedi denounced him. His best friend and mentor betrayed him and slept with his wife. He has had it with the Jedi. When the Emperor asks Vader to exterminate the Jedi, he happily obliges.

In thinking of the resurrection scene I think I would do a few things to fix it. First I would reshoot the Noooooooooooo shot with someone who can physically mimic Prowse. The Volkswagen superbowl commercial proves how expressive good physical acting can communicate through a mask. Second... I'd start the scene with an Anakin in a bacta tank... Not on a Greys Anatomy operating table, and simply have the emperor seduce him with machine upgrades from outside the tank. Making Vader desire to become Vader is what's painfully missing from that plot point.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

KaosFactor posted:

The Mickey and Bugs Bunny analogy is really apt analogy. They, like SW, started as main stream entertainment that kids could enjoy. At some point, the controlling interest decided that kids wouldn't be the incidental market, they would be the specific target. It requires a lot less to keep a 5 yr old entertained than a 25 yr old.

Also, no, Lucas cannot control from beyond the grave. Covenants on real property are a different matter than dead hand control through wills.

In essence it would be up to the executor And those that would oversee his/her fitness to keep his wishes alive. If he writes it into the bypass of his corporation they would have to execute them as long as the corporation existed, forever, or until u could get enough of the board to risk turning off the money hydrant?

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Once the property is handed over, that's it. It's the recipient's, the estate really can't do anything with it. He could place the rights in a trust, which must still have a limited duration, unless he gives the rights to charity (yeah right).

If he builds it into the corporate bylaws, who probably own the rights at this point anyway, those can be changed without much difficulty as long as you can get a majority to vote on them.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
When it comes time to introduce my kids to Star Wars, I'm going to only show them the original trilogy. If the subject of the prequels come up, I'm going to explain to them in the following manner:

"Okay, you know how your teacher sometimes splits the class into groups that have to work together? Well, Star Wars was created by a group just like that. And you know how that no matter what, your group ends up with a stupid kid in it? Well, the same thing happened with Star Wars. The problem is, in the case of Star Wars the stupid person got to put his name on the finished product. Years later, the stupid person began to think that all the work that he did on Star Wars was the reason it was a success, because after all his name is on the cover. So, he decided to make a Star Wars that was better than the first one because he wouldn't have all those other guys telling him that his awesome ideas were stupid. So the stupid person made his new Star Wars without the help of the smart people on his original team that put all their hard work into making the first one a success. But because no one was there to tell him his dumb ideas were dumb, his new Star Wars ended up being a really bad series of movies."

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Loopyface posted:

Volkswagen being associated with an evil empire seems like a poor choice.

Posted for irony.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NeonTurtle posted:

When it comes time to introduce my kids to Star Wars, I'm going to only show them the original trilogy. If the subject of the prequels come up, I'm going to explain to them in the following manner:

"Okay, you know how your teacher sometimes splits the class into groups that have to work together? Well, Star Wars was created by a group just like that. And you know how that no matter what, your group ends up with a stupid kid in it? Well, the same thing happened with Star Wars. The problem is, in the case of Star Wars the stupid person got to put his name on the finished product. Years later, the stupid person began to think that all the work that he did on Star Wars was the reason it was a success, because after all his name is on the cover. So, he decided to make a Star Wars that was better than the first one because he wouldn't have all those other guys telling him that his awesome ideas were stupid. So the stupid person made his new Star Wars without the help of the smart people on his original team that put all their hard work into making the first one a success. But because no one was there to tell him his dumb ideas were dumb, his new Star Wars ended up being a really bad series of movies."
You're being a child. Like it or not your kids will probably like the prequels more, and appreciate the OT more when they get older. You might as well let them enjoy it while they can.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

Posted for irony.

Yeah, that was the joke.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

So I don't know how many of you are watching the Clone Wars, but suffice to say all the Force Cthulhu poo poo has definitely been upstaged (complete with the voice talents of Starkiller) by the off-the-wall mystic poo poo they're running with that clearly came from Lucas himself. (So tired of these Star Wars Treks.)

Ok, you can't just let it hang there. What have they done now? :ohdear:

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What you guys are forgetting is that the estate tax will necessitate the selling of portions of the Lucas media empire. This means the rights to all the movies and tv shows will be for sale unless the kids have poo poo tons of money. I say we get a goon collection going to buy the rights to the holiday special and remake it with the cast of either 30 Rock or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're being a child. Like it or not your kids will probably like the prequels more, and appreciate the OT more when they get older. You might as well let them enjoy it while they can.

Have you told your kid about Star Wars yet?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

GodlessCommie posted:

What you guys are forgetting is that the estate tax will necessitate the selling of portions of the Lucas media empire. This means the rights to all the movies and tv shows will be for sale unless the kids have poo poo tons of money. I say we get a goon collection going to buy the rights to the holiday special and remake it with the cast of either 30 Rock or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Two things.

One: Don't you mean the Galactic Empire-esque DEATH tax?

Two: What type of plane is that in your avatar? Because that's awesome.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

This owns.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Don't worry about it guys. This is the new canon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0

Quote this if you think this should have been what the Phantom Menace was like

RagnarokAngel posted:

As far as my niece and nephew know right now, the only two Star Wars movies are ANH and Empire and I intend for it to stay that way as long as possible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Quote this if you think this should have been what the Phantom Menace was like

As far as my niece and nephew know right now, the only two Star Wars movies are ANH and Empire and I intend for it to stay that way as long as possible.

Show them ROTJ at least. Empire's a cliffhanger.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I say show them in 1-6 order. The prequels won't look as bad then...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

No way, if you gotta show them all, show them in production order. That's what I'd do.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Crossposting from the book thread, but I have coined the new term. "Rule 1138". Rule 1138 states the following: No matter how dumb something in the EU is, there is always something dumber. No exceptions.

Sinister Cyclist
Dec 25, 2010

A 2nd season episode of the Clone Wars has Obi Wan sustain injuries when his troop transport crashes , whereupon a clone soldier administers some kind of injection to him . Don't these Jedi fellows possess incredible powers over their bodies aswell as zenlike mental disciplines ?

Unless the syringe contained only , uh - stuff to prevent infections , surely there's no need for pain relieving drugs ? That said , there's a lot to be said for Jedi gettin' high and just sitting back to watch the totally rad laser shows .

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Could be bacta or koto.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ROTJ might be the weakest film overall but it has the most powerful scene. You ought to show it to them.

I hope that 10000 years in the future ESB is the only film of the series known to historians because everyody in the film ends up miserable except Boba Fett, General Veers, R2 and the medical droid. Then they'll just be left guessing what happened in the other films and marvelling at what geniuses twentieth century film-makers were.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ROTJ is a flawed film, but it's not a bad one. There are parts that are poo poo, but also parts that are amazing. The Luke\Vader\Emperor scenes and the space battle at the end make up for all the muppets and midgets.

Besides, your kids will love it. I sure as hell loved the poo poo out of that movie as a kid.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
Sheesh this conversation shows up every 20 pages or so. I'll probably only ever watch the original trilogy with my kids cause they're honestly the only three I feel like sitting through again. But if my kids see the crappy ones, whoop dee doo it's just Star Wars who gives a poo poo?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

T-1000 posted:

ROTJ might be the weakest film overall but it has the most powerful scene. You ought to show it to them.

When they're old enough to actually ask what happens at the end, I will. As it stands, they're only 3 and 5 so for now they're content with spaceships and pew pew and no plot resolution.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

When they're old enough to actually ask what happens at the end, I will. As it stands, they're only 3 and 5 so for now they're content with spaceships and pew pew and no plot resolution.

Dude, show it to them. They'll love it.

"Daddy, can I watch this movie? Ewoks are cool!"
"NO! DADDY SAYS EWOKS loving SUCK! GO TO YOUR ROOM!"
:cry:

As 3 and 5 they'll enjoy it the most, man. Yeah, the prequels suck, but some them Jedi, dude. Don't be hatin' on Jedi.

Yes, ROTJ is the weakest of the OT, but it doesn't deserve hate. It's better than the prequels by a huge magnitude. If Star Wars is an "A" and Empire is an "A+", Jedi is at least a B-.

Not showing them the prequels I get, but not showing them Jedi? Come on dude. Come on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ROTJ is a B+ at the least.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Clone Wars... how do you do the three awesome Nightsisters episodes and then follow it up with the latest three where you reveal to Anakin whats gonna happen and then wipe his memory within 3 minutes. I want to stab my eyes out.

I'm gonna show the movies in production order, and then hand pick clone war episodes to babysit them. I'll save the bad ones for punishment when they become teenagers and start rebelling. Oh you hate me? Sit through this.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes, ROTJ is the weakest of the OT, but it doesn't deserve hate.

I don't hate it, to be honest I just haven't gotten around to burning them a backup.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Crossposting from the book thread, but I have coined the new term. "Rule 1138". Rule 1138 states the following: No matter how dumb something in the EU is, there is always something dumber. No exceptions.

Rule 2187: If something is related to George Lucas, no matter how tangentially, it must reference the movie THX 1138 at some point.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 12, 2011

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

KaosFactor posted:

I say show them in 1-6 order. The prequels won't look as bad then...

My cousins were shown the movies in that order.

They stopped watching after Episode III "because it was boring".

OT first, always and forever.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Suenteus Po posted:

They stopped watching after Episode III "because it was boring".

Same for my freind's cousin. Episode II is their favourite.

It's the worst one :qq:

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBad posted:

Clone Wars... how do you do the three awesome Nightsisters episodes and then follow it up with the latest three where you reveal to Anakin whats gonna happen and then wipe his memory within 3 minutes. I want to stab my eyes out.

But the ending is the best! It was all a dream!

gently caress Lucas.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As a kid, RotJ was my favorite. It had the most pew pew, and the good guys won. If there would be any of the OT I wouldn't show kids, it would be ESB.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

As a kid, RotJ was my favorite. It had the most pew pew, and the good guys won. If there would be any of the OT I wouldn't show kids, it would be ESB.

It has Luke getting his hand chopped off, the Wampa getting its arm chopped off, Luke shoved into the gutted belly of a Tauntaun, and Luke decapitating a hallucination of Darth Vader, which young children probably won't understand. (Freaked me the hell out as a kid)

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

It has Luke getting his hand chopped off, the Wampa getting its arm chopped off, Luke shoved into the gutted belly of a Tauntaun, and Luke decapitating a hallucination of Darth Vader, which young children probably won't understand. (Freaked me the hell out as a kid)

Not to mention the whole Han-carbonite thing. Or the fact that Luke walks into a trap set by DARTH VADER. Yeah, ESB freaked me out too, mang.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I was claustrophobic as a kid so the slug scene always freaked me out.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My first taste of Star Wars was the dance number in the special edition of ROTJ. The combination of fear and horror that Sy Snootles instilled in 9 year old me kept me from trying the series again for years, and I'm almost surprised I ever tried the series again.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Freaking the hell out of kids is all part of growing up. I remember when I was five years old how happy I was to finally be able to see Gremlins. And then my mom makes me watch Willy Wonka of all loving things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Your childhood isn't complete until you see that one movie with Jeniffer Connelly and David Bowie's junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Your childhood isn't complete until you see that one movie with Jeniffer Connelly and David Bowie's junk.

Also produced by George Lucas.