Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I've been thinking about this, too. So far the most fun I have is on the cruiser when I'm not under pressure to perform anything (since it's a pig, and chasing my friends around in their audis through mountains requires me to be way too serious), and on the sport bike when I get to just ride on the highway in the carpool lane with enough breathing room that I'm not worried someone's going to pancake me for no goddamned reason.

I was considering taking somethign to the track, but I know how I am with gokarts, racing games, or anything else with a closed circuit--I do it safely until I get bored and then I get more aggressive until I run out of engine or I run out of traction.

On a bike that doesn't sound like fun to me. Not in my car, either, for that matter, though I'm way more comfortable with it.

The dirt bike thing, on the other hand--I ended up riding the cruiser down some hairy diry roads on the way to hikes (in aforementioned mtns) and, while nerve wracking, it felt satisfying to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

mutt2jeff posted:

Really? Looked terribly boring to me, all they did was ride a bunch of fireroads. Tearing up a tight piece of single track is way more fun than screwing around on some roads. Even better is a really technical piece of single track that takes everything you got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQNGLqnuhrM

See, while this is more impressive from a scenery and maybe riding standpoint, it looks tedious, challenging, and nervewracking. The fact that I don't do well with heights and those hills would make me lose my poo poo does not help.

But the other video looks like no-pressure hooning around with friends.

It seems like the difference having dinner at my girlfriend's parents' country club versus barbequeing with friends. Technically the food is better, but not a simple joy.

Plus as someone with no dirt experience it's "hey this looks fun, I could do this!" versus "Oh my god, that's way above me."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Plus as someone with no dirt experience it's "hey this looks fun, I could do this!" versus "Oh my god, that's way above me."

This is exactly why we don't let your sort into clubs. It taxes the poor dears! Better to give them a a simple meal of gruel on the veranda, where they can speak rudely to each other about goatherding, or carpentry, or whatever menial labor they occupy their time with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

See, while this is more impressive from a scenery and maybe riding standpoint, it looks tedious, challenging, and nervewracking.

I would just say potentially nerve wracking and done only for scenery. Crawling around in 1st gear is not my definition of fun.

For what it's worth this is where I teach new riders:
http://contour.com/stories/richmond-track-clip

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2011

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Thats the great thing about that area, you get to ride fast, swoopy single track on the way in, do the hard technical stuff, then back to fast and swoopy on the way out. I should track down a video of the trail going up to that one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Devils backbone on your account is very close to where I live. I personally am not a fan of the first gear technical single track. It's fun on a mountain bike but just a chore on a dirtbike. I think it'd be great fun to have a trials bike for riding stuff like that. I've actually seen a few trials bikes up on some of those trails.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I think its great fun, riding the toughest stuff that I can find. Guess I am lucky to have hooked up a bunch of guys who love the same thing. I dont consider it a chore at all, its takes the same amount of concentration on my part to ride fast single track as it does the hard slow stuff. But to me its a hell of a lot cooler to look back and say "I did Duncan Hill" and know that you have ridden some of the gnarliest poo poo in the state.

Ok, smooth single track, same area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtJZ1JIueA

Tang_
May 8, 2007
Your second video is the sort of stuff I prefer riding. All the single track from the areas we ride went under in flooding and are either pretty much bog holes or completely ruined. Even riding down the fire roads was a chore that day as hidden around every corner was giant washouts where the track had been washed away or trees blocking the path where the trail had been turned into a river.

Each to their own though, and thanks for the praise!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

drat, I was looking for that bike for years to show to my design class. Way too late now but it would've been the perfect example of just how much theoretical re-engineering is possible in the motorcycle formula. Half of the crap I talked about in that class was in reference to the Britten V1000.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tang_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0m50SDRdgE&hd=1

Just our most recent ride. The usual riding area was pretty destroyed by flooding, which probably explains why its was so slippery!

What really amazed me about that video was how still you were able to keep the helmet cam. Shows how well you were using your legs and torso to absorb the shocks and bumps.

It DID look like a stupid amount of fun...

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

hayden. posted:

Thanks for taking a neat video and making it depressing you prick (just kidding sorta)

content

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

It would be awesome to have an enclosed sidecar like this on an motorcycle that worked like a pop-up camper

Sorry I'm late.

Also:

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

A bunch of guys on supermoto's doing.....well you can just watch and find out :v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iENE1KMClKM&feature=related

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That reminds me how much the sun needs to come back out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Supermoto: Living on 1 wheel at a time

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Russian Bear posted:

Supermoto: Living on 1 wheel at a time

If supermotos were front wheel drive and had a reverse gear, their stoppies would be wheelies.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If supermotos were front wheel drive and had a reverse gear, their stoppies would be wheelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKZt2SouCA

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Witness squid genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lxGCyam6M&NR=1

It's a shame he didn't gently caress up.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Probably not worth its own thread:

I went to the Timonium, MD motorcycle show today mainly because it was colder than I expected and I didn't go on the 4 hr+ ride I planned on. I've been in years past and it's usually a charming cornucopia of mildly interesting motorcycles, a giant harley area, and white trash. A few things fascinated me and I thought you might enjoy them as well. The first was that I actually saw/sat on the new triumph tiger 800. It feels good, smaller than I expected but the seat is comfy and the ergos are pretty solid. drat the handlebars are wide. Overall, the aesthetics of it are quite solid. The headlights give it a poo poo-eating troll-face quality and it looks overall nimbler than anything else in its class:

DISCLAIMER: pics are from iphone, quality is...lacking

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Then there were the show bikes...Being that this is largely a baltimore/north central MD crowd, they constitute alternating waves of Harleys with totally inexplicable paint jobs and hayabusas that make me feel culturally insensitive. There was a nice selection of restored british bikes though, which made me all :fap:

On another note, there was this Kawi W650 that some dude was just pleased as punch with himself over. He slapped a bunch of triumph logos on it and thought it was absolutely mind-blowing that a bike designed to look like a bonneville looked like a bonneville.

There was a 2005 thruxton that was understated and quite attractive.

Also, there were a whole selection of "mild custom" harleys that, as far as I could tell, just had an average amount of harley chrome and were entered in a show for no good reason. Example:

Lastly, there is one bike at every show that will inevitably be used as evidence to demonstrate someone's legal incompetence/insanity. I give you :drum:

The Michael Jackson tribute GSXR 750

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

:golfclap:

addendumb: one trend I noticed this year was that everyoner has a "MC Charter" badass leather vest they're working. There must have been 15-20 different "biker gangs" represented with prospects, patched members and all. I enjoy Sons of Anarchy as much as the next guy, but I had no idea it was going to seriously spill over into motorcycle culture. :what: Apparently life really imitates art, so get ready for tons of "criminal" organizations with poorly designed vests to take over the roadways. I didn't take any photos because, well, they're criminal bikers and wouldn't take kindly to outsiders documenting their organization. :sigh:

ohwandernearer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 14, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
So these were real gangs or poser ones? I read somewhere that it's supposedly illegal to even display "MC" patches these days.

If 15-20 different gangs were in one place, shouldn't they all be trying to kill one another until one gang has dominance over the show?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Open Layer posted:

A bunch of guys on supermoto's doing.....well you can just watch and find out :v:

I really miss my DRZ SM now :(

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I have this feeling that if I ever "upgrade" to a 600 from the drz that I'll miss it to much. The answer? 690smc! (eventually)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I was at a bike show and the "Blue Knights MC" had a stand.
http://www.blueknights.org/
They are literally an MC for cops.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

niethan posted:

I was at a bike show and the "Blue Knights MC" had a stand.
http://www.blueknights.org/
They are literally an MC for cops.

Ex cops too. The ones I've met have been cool guys, Policemen rather than Police Officers, if you get my meaning.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ohwandernearer posted:

I enjoy Sons of Anarchy as much as the next guy, but I had no idea it was going to seriously spill over into motorcycle culture. :what: Apparently life really imitates art, so get ready for tons of "criminal" organizations with poorly designed vests to take over the roadways.
I don't know where you've been for the last 40 years, but that IS motorcycle culture in the USA. Those who don't ride Harleys and aren't complete asswipes are in the minority.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Open Layer posted:

Glad to see it isn't just our SM/DS group rides that pretty much just involve loving around and riding on/over whatever we feel like with wheelies and stoppies thrown in for good measure.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

So these were real gangs or poser ones? I read somewhere that it's supposedly illegal to even display "MC" patches these days.

If 15-20 different gangs were in one place, shouldn't they all be trying to kill one another until one gang has dominance over the show?

If nine people wear the same outfit and 4 of them have drunk driving arrests, does that make them a gang? I don't know. Something tells me they aren't robbing any banks. However, this is baltimore so it's not like we have a lack of criminal enterprise.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't know where you've been for the last 40 years, but that IS motorcycle culture in the USA. Those who don't ride Harleys and aren't complete asswipes are in the minority.

I grew up 10 miles from the York PA harley factory and was pretty surrounded by Harley culture since I was little. However, I hadn't been born nearly 20 of the last 40 years. I know that Harleys are "Amurricun motorcycles." However, I stand by my observation that the sheer number of MC vests definitely has shot up in the last couple of years. If nothing else, this was evident because 75% of them looked brand loving new.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Most of the MCs in Alabama are Christian groups. They're some of the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet if you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere. :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ohwandernearer posted:

However, I stand by my observation that the sheer number of MC vests definitely has shot up in the last couple of years. If nothing else, this was evident because 75% of them looked brand loving new.

This is nothing new, I know of at least one club local to me that you can pretty much trace back to a bunch of guys watching 1991s non-hit Stone Cold...

(If you haven't seen this gem, be sure to track down a copy, it's hilariously cheesy)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is nothing new, I know of at least one club local to me that you can pretty much trace back to a bunch of guys watching 1991s non-hit Stone Cold...
Oh my god I love that movie

When the bad guy kicks the other bad guy in the balls? One of the best ball kicks in modern cinema!!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Oh my god I love that movie

When the bad guy kicks the other bad guy in the balls? One of the best ball kicks in modern cinema!!

Fuckin' spoilers dude.

Seriously though, movie should be required watching for admission into this subforum.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh

frozenphil posted:

Most of the MCs in Alabama are Christian groups. They're some of the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet if you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere. :)

2nd this. I live in the Myrtle Beach area, the Mecca for motorcycle asshattery, but most of the MCs that i've seen are Christian clubs, who actually wear helmets, use their turn signals and generally follow good group riding etiquette.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ohwandernearer posted:

The Michael Jackson tribute GSXR 750

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Good lord, I want that helmet.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I think I need one of these circle ruts for training.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfTC03vczw&feature=related

Tang_
May 8, 2007
I got dizzy watching that! I have seen another one on youtube with a figure 8 rut, also awesome!

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

TheDon01 posted:

I love the bashed in stuntin' tank.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They can take my license when I get too old, but they'll never take the road from me man...

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Well-done video of some old school bikes (and gear).

https://vimeo.com/19061363

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
My ATGATT nerve is twitching, but the warm fuzzy feeling I get from that video has managed to supress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Well-done video of some old school bikes (and gear).

I was glad to see at 2:55 that I'm not the only one who likes to pretend I'm running when I ride.