Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Pity that Bibic and Facebook calls up sweet gently caress-all of use on Google.

After having listened to it, I have to say that the exchanges about IPTV and about time-based billing were probably the most damning. IPTV because he's saying "Internet" while trying to claim that it's not Internet, and the time-based thing because the Shaw guy descended into absolutely paternalist, ridiculous bullshit about how people would complain, about how "people who download during the afternoon are all unemployed", and about how they don't have the capacity to do per-minute or per-hour metering. The questions about how "they could just download during off times when it wouldn't put strain on your network" got REALLY hostile as the evasions and excuses got worse and worse.

Pity as well that nobody pushed harder on the international thing, though that may have been short-circuited by the shots taken at the OECD study. Hard to say that we're falling behind and that nobody else is using UBB when Bell is pulling studies out of their rear end saying how awesome we are. (Not that anybody ELSE has seen any figures that back that up. Would like to see that handout.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Nomenklatura posted:

A lot of the reason Bibic isn't effective isn't because of his talking points, but because the man is just...unpleasant. I'm not sure why, I couldn't put it into words, but he doesn't come across well. Burger comes across VERY well, so much so that it's honestly surprising that their positions aren't reversed. You'd think that Bell could/would be able to hire someone that effective to be their spokesman.
I think that's it. Burger comes across as the average man who plays it straight. Bibic comes off exactly like a smug, self-important businessman. Bell probably thought he was going to be countered against some elitist-acting nerd who uses jargon confusing to the less technically inclined, not someone with the personality of Burger, so it probably would have worked. Instead, he comes off as most people's cynical image of that executive who doesn't know what he's talking about but gets paid absurdly well, making all his talking points of "fairness" feel grating.

Also, Rogers probably decided just to wait on the sidelines, and it was probably the right call. If Bell won UBB with the public, then it'll be smooth sailing for Rogers to mimic that. But since it seems to be turning into a PR disaster for them, Rogers isn't directly associated with supporting it.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 12, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kuddles posted:

Also, Rogers probably decided just to wait on the sidelines, and it was probably the right call. If Bell won UBB with the public, then it'll be smooth sailing for Rogers to mimic that. But since it seems to be turning into a PR disaster for them, Rogers isn't directly associated with supporting it.

Honestly I think most of all Rogers is scared to lend any sort of weight to the "duopoly" argument thats been floating around. If they came to the defence of their #1 super friend Bell then it would look bad.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Seems like Telus is in the same boat, they're not doing anything at all about this and haven't made a few pages on their website trying to defend it like Rogers has.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Godinster posted:

Seems like Telus is in the same boat, they're not doing anything at all about this and haven't made a few pages on their website trying to defend it like Rogers has.

Rogers even used the same "Fair" verbage that Bell is so famous for.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

8ender posted:

Just to reinforce Burger's excellence, behold this angry super slam from him in the comments section of this horrible Financial Post article:
http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/02/01/terence-corcoran-billing-reversal-would-be-bad-policy/
That "debate" was awesome. Kevin O'Leary doesn't answer Burger's question about how Kevin as a consumer feels about being charged $2/GB for something that costs $0.03/GB, not a shareholder reaping all those costs. loving billion dollar rich prick.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I check the Teksavvy site twice a week so that the second cable internet is offered in my area code I can ditch Rogers for good. I'm just too used to cable speed to go back to DSL, plus as much as I hate Rogers caps they didn't burn me for years with consistently terrible technical and customer support when I had no choice so I don't want a single cent of my money going back to Bell ever again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Godinster posted:

The ISPs must still think this is going to go their way, or it seems obvious someone like Telus would move in and make a play for a bunch of angry Bell/Shaw customers. Offer a flat fee unlimited use plan at an inflated price to lock a bunch of people into contracts, then when the CRTC strikes down the UBB ruling they have to stay or pay a huge fee to go to Teksavvy/etc.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

8ender posted:

Honestly I think most of all Rogers is scared to lend any sort of weight to the "duopoly" argument thats been floating around. If they came to the defence of their #1 super friend Bell then it would look bad.
Very, very good point.

Italy's Chicken posted:

That "debate" was awesome. Kevin O'Leary doesn't answer Burger's question about how Kevin as a consumer feels about being charged $2/GB for something that costs $0.03/GB, not a shareholder reaping all those costs. loving billion dollar rich prick.
He doesn't have a billion dollars, apparently. In fact, all the evidence suggests he's a poo poo businessman. He's just the sort of shithead that knows how to suck up to television producers and play the fool on TV.

(You know, like Andrew Coyne. CHRIST, what an rear end in a top hat.)

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Does anyone have experience with Teksavvy's cable internet in the Lower Mainland?

I've been with Shaw since I moved out of my parent's place in 2006, and have had zero complaints about them. When they brought up UBB for their customers I was dissapointed and looked around for different options. Then when they backed down and said they'd consult with their customer and maybe bring out some different packages, I was heartened and thought I'd stick around to see what they had to offer.

Then I started looking into the whole CRTC thing and found that even after that, Shaw is still arguing alongside Bell et al in favour of UBB. And seeing Teksavvy argue against it, I thought to myself "Why would I stick with a company that just wants to gently caress me, when Teksavvy's views are more in my interest?"

So I'd like to vote with my money. With Teksavvy I could get a 300GB cap (that's enough for me) at 15/1 (what I have now with Shaw) for about $20 less per month. Or unlimited for about what I pay Shaw right now. Sounds pretty good so far. How are they?

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Internet Greed.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Lemons posted:

So I'd like to vote with my money. With Teksavvy I could get a 300GB cap (that's enough for me) at 15/1 (what I have now with Shaw) for about $20 less per month. Or unlimited for about what I pay Shaw right now. Sounds pretty good so far. How are they?

I just got teksavvy cable, and it's been great so far. The speed is pretty good where I am, and it seems to even boost above the stated speed for speedtests/small files.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whimsy posted:

Internet Greed.

Hahahaha amazing. Caps and UBB are in the crosshairs, it's only a matter of time before the majority of people are on board to bring it to Rogers and Bell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
With the Telus Optik what modem/router combo do they give out? Actiontek V1000H? I have no use for .11g stuff so can I just ask for a standalone modem instead or will that not work with the optik tv?

I've heard there are issues configuring port forwarding in that router.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

With the Telus Optik what modem/router combo do they give out? Actiontek V1000H? I have no use for .11g stuff so can I just ask for a standalone modem instead or will that not work with the optik tv?

I've heard there are issues configuring port forwarding in that router.

I'm worried about this too. I have a Netgear device running DD-WRT that I want to keep using.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yes and apparently it won't let you configure it in bridge mode from what I've been reading.. Hope you can request a standalone modem but the TV part has me concerned about this possibility.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
From what I gather on DSLReports:

They're mostly giving out Actiontek combo boxes now, however there might still be some ALU/D-Link Modem-TV gateway pairs laying around in trucks, and that's the setup that you want.

ALU------ D-Link TV
|-------- Router of your choice

The ALU modem has two WAN ports or something, one going to TV and one for your Internet.

less than three fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are they fielding a new D-Link all in one (triple play?) as well? I saw something about that but that might be the old one.

edit: looks like that was just a router not the modem. doh.

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 16, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Are they fielding a new D-Link all in one (triple play?) as well? I saw something about that but that might be the old one.

The D-Link was the previous model. It hooked up to an ALU VDSL modem. However if you wanted it would function in bridge mode and you could use your own wireless router.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well I hope they have the ALU then, getting it installed on Saturday.

Pretty lame they are offering wireless routers with 11g though.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Heh, they're coming Saturday for me as well!

Though I can't imagine keeping their service very long if I have to put up with a stupid 11g combo box with next to no QoS/NAT customisation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Heh, they're coming Saturday for me as well!

Though I can't imagine keeping their service very long if I have to put up with a stupid 11g combo box with next to no QoS/NAT customisation.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about signing up for the 3 year now.. ffffff

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Yeah, I'm a little worried about signing up for the 3 year now.. ffffff

I'm sure you could call them back and modify the order, removing the 3 year term. Once you've decided if you want to keep then sign a term.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Oh man, did anyone just see the 'Part of our Gouge-Based Heritage' commercial on Rick Mercer?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vergeh posted:

Oh man, did anyone just see the 'Part of our Gouge-Based Heritage' commercial on Rick Mercer?

No. Hopefully somebody will YouTube it.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
It was fantastic. Starts off with a boss admonishing an employee for using too much Morse code. Rick Mercer will probably win more people over than any cogent facts or insightful news article.

It'll go up on the CBC site later tomorrow, where you can stream it like a HORRIBLE HEAVY USER WHO DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED!

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this:

My roommate just recently signed a 12 month deal with rogers that starts on our next billing session. I just found an ISP that will give us 15mbps/1mbps for 50$ no modem rental or installation fees and unlimited bandwidth.

The fee for cancelling with rogers is an absurd 240$.
Is there a way I can challenge that fee? We haven't even started using that special service and I'd really not have to keep dealing with rogers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There's often a cooling-off period where you can cancel a contract. How recent is recent? Have some fine-print to check?

It might even be mandatory ... but I'm no lawyer.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
At Bell (Mobility) we gave you two weeks to cancel a renewal. Perhaps Rogers has similar?

urf
Jul 12, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

There's often a cooling-off period where you can cancel a contract. How recent is recent? Have some fine-print to check?

It might even be mandatory ... but I'm no lawyer.

Less than a month ago. 3 weeks tops.
It was all done over the phone but I'm sure if I get details from my roommate I can just brute force my way to getting the info I need. I'd be prepared to waste a couple days getting this poo poo done, I'd just really be interested if anyone's dealt with this sort of thing with rogers before. If it helps, this is in Ontario.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
What the hell service is that? Neighboursnet?

Cancellation fees are a bastard to get out of. It's a pain in the rear end to do unless Rogers decides to change their billing terms or license agreements.

You can get out of it, but only if you harp constantly to managers in the cancellation department that they fail to deliver on the terms of their contract, which is easier said then done. You can shove speedtest reports at them that show the connection speed is slower than the speed you signed up for, but that might just get you the next-highest tier of service at no cost. Or they might just tell you to gently caress off.

You'd have to be that rear end in a top hat that calls every day and bitches out a manager for half an hour before they'd consider cutting you loose at no charge.

Ninja edit: If you're only three weeks in, you might be able to whine your way out of it. Just don't tell them the reason you're quitting is because of a better deal. Make something up that'll convince them they're not going to get a bill payment out of you.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Vergeh posted:

Ninja edit: If you're only three weeks in, you might be able to whine your way out of it. Just don't tell them the reason you're quitting is because of a better deal. Make something up that'll convince them they're not going to get a bill payment out of you.

Okay thanks, I was going to mention the better deal but I can see why that's not really a good idea. Would saying something like possibly moving out of the country be a decent plan? I'm very willing on bugging the hell out of rogers.

fake edit: Just I was writing this post my roommate said he called them and asked them to match the better deal we were going to get. :doh:
He said I could still try impersonating him and getting the fee cancelled.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Vergeh posted:

It's available on the CBC website now. Warning: It's streaming video so maybe you shouldn't watch it after all, you bandwidth hogs.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I hadn't realised Patrick McKenna was so old and flabby looking nowadays.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I called Telus to see about reducing my contract duration from the 3 year, the benefit for the 3yr is the rental on the HDPVR box is free for the duration. It's $15/month otherwise on a 1 year, or $10/month on a 2 year if I understood the guy right.

There is the option of buying the box for $199 at futureshop or bestbuy. It says it comes with a 6 month free HD/$50 programming credit so perhaps that might be the better way to go? I stupidly bought the shaw PVR way back when and that fucker was wayyyy more expensive.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I just conducted some experiments. First case was a long time bell client who was paying $90/month for phone and Internet services. After dealing with them for ten minutes, they agreed to bring it down to $60 per month after taxes.
A week earlier, I did the same experiment for someone who gets a dry loop connection for $60. After I was done, they bumped her up to 65GB use (still low for the money, but they didn't want to commit to a switch) and waived her modem rental. Total bill works out to $46 after taxes.

Customer loyalty is the new word for Haggling department. Thirty dollars per month is a pretty big drop though.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

kuddles posted:

It's available on the CBC website now. Warning: It's streaming video so maybe you shouldn't watch it after all, you bandwidth hogs.

youtube link
Less bandwidth, plus transcribed audio, which is always comedy gold.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Vergeh posted:

youtube link
Less bandwidth, plus transcribed audio, which is always comedy gold.

I was not aware of the transcription feature, haha it's not even close.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

I just called Telus to request a seperate Modem/TV setup and she said that it's not a problem, that the installer will have a modem for the internet and a STB for the television. :confuoot:

Odd considering DSLReports seems to say the opposite. She told me when the installer comes to my place to discuss what kind of set up that I want.

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
More proof that Macleans is the worst magazine of all time

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/18/the-internet-should-be-fair-not-free-to-everyone/

I especially enjoyed this part:

quote:

At issue is the ability of Internet carriers such as Bell Canada and Rogers Communications (the parent company of Maclean’s) to establish usage-based billing...

The comments are awesome.