Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Have to be strong and resist buying that SWAT pack. Managed to get over the desire by watching Let's Plays of SWAT 4, and reminding myself that it's by far the best game in the series, but also used to make me destroy my keyboard because it's an utter bastard. I don't think it works on Vista very well, so maybe GoG can do that next, or SWAT 3 (but I prefer the extra equipment that 4 brought).

Drowning in little GoG payments is about right, though. It's worse if you're overseas, at least with my lovely corrupt bank (coughSetandertossers), since they hit me up for a £1.25 charge every time I order anything outside of the UK. I wish GoG had some kind of UK payment system.

ToxicFrog posted:

"Slice the pie"?

Presume this is what he meant:

Hopefully tongue in cheek because I can't imagine the kind of horrors that would ensue from learning to shoot bad guys via SWAT.

But yeah, pie slicing, good.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If GoG could get SWAT3 and 4 I'd be in heaven. I have a lot of fond memories of dicking around in SWAT 3 with cheats on when I was younger.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
SWAT 1 is hilarious, but I could never get into SWAT 2.

"You a comedian?! I thought you were LAPD SWAT! Now knock off the funny business and get focused!"

I still have my 4 CD-ROMs around here somewhere, but it looks like I don't need them anymore. Sweet.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Hussar posted:

This just means strafing around a corner and shooting people.
While leaning, for those advanced games that allow it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gashroom posted:

While leaning, for those advanced games that allow it.

Ah, lean and peek shooters. How I will miss you.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

al-azad posted:

Ah, lean and peek shooters. How I will miss you.

I miss them too. I don't want to start a flame war but consoles must be to blame for that. You have so much buttons on a controller after all, it's not like they can replace two actions to make room for leaning.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hemish posted:

I miss them too. I don't want to start a flame war but consoles must be to blame for that. You have so much buttons on a controller after all, it's not like they can replace two actions to make room for leaning.

lean shows up in console shooters pretty frequently, although it's often coupled with sticky cover.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

They could easily use the shoulder buttons for lean. In Rainbow Six on the Xbox you could walk around in a permanent leaning state and nobody could hit you. That was fun. They did patch it eventually.

I think the thing with lean is, essentially why bother with it when all the player can do is sidestep out slightly and it provides the same function. You just make it so that if he does it properly then it's the same as leaning, reduces the chance of him being seen or whatever.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Looks like the weekend deal is the Tex Murphy series for 60% off. They're really laying on the adventure gaming goodness as of late.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harmonica posted:

They could easily use the shoulder buttons for lean. In Rainbow Six on the Xbox you could walk around in a permanent leaning state and nobody could hit you. That was fun. They did patch it eventually.

I think the thing with lean is, essentially why bother with it when all the player can do is sidestep out slightly and it provides the same function. You just make it so that if he does it properly then it's the same as leaning, reduces the chance of him being seen or whatever.

The advantage of leaning over strafing is supposed to be that you present a smaller target because you're exposing less of your body, but in practice it's very awkward and the computer doesn't really care how small a target is, because it can hit anything it wants to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The advantage of leaning over strafing is supposed to be that you present a smaller target because you're exposing less of your body, but in practice it's very awkward and the computer doesn't really care how small a target is, because it can hit anything it wants to.

There's typically more fine control over lean than just stepping out. In the games I've played, it's easier to lean out, fire, then let go of lean than it is to strafe out and in. Most shooters have your character running like he has a nitrous booster up his rear end. Stealth shooters add the stipulation that lean makes you temporary "invisible".

The Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood has my favorite sticky cover. It had a dynamic lean mechanic in any direction and worked well once you got used to it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Of course it can hit anything it wants to, that's why programming AI is partly about making the computer not seem omnipotent.

Leaning, if programmed properly, ought to reduce the chance of the computer acquiring its target.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Man, this weekend's sale is all or nothing because most of the titles are $10 normally, making the 30% discount pretty meh.

Do I want all of the Tex Murphy games or not...

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
All the tex murphy games are worth it. Except for Martian Memorandum. I liked Mean Streets more than that one.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Under A Killing Moon is probably my favorite game I've bought on GoG without having played before.

Dalron
Jun 22, 2003
Area Homosexual
Is there much of a point to playing Mean Streets if I've played Overseer?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Under A Killing Moon is probably my favorite game I've bought on GoG without having played before.
Oh this is interesting. Mine is probably MDK or Icewind Dale though I have piles I haven't even touched yet. :doh:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

synertia posted:

All the tex murphy games are worth it. Except for Martian Memorandum. I liked Mean Streets more than that one.

I got the first two off of The Underdogs before GoG hit the scene. Mean Street was pretty hard, not sure how much FAQ I needed anymore. Martian Memo. looked good, but I couldn't get it to function right in DosBox.

Never played any of the later games, and my backlogs in Steam and GoG are the only thing holding me back. Lotta games for $15.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

al-azad posted:

There's typically more fine control over lean than just stepping out. In the games I've played, it's easier to lean out, fire, then let go of lean than it is to strafe out and in. Most shooters have your character running like he has a nitrous booster up his rear end. Stealth shooters add the stipulation that lean makes you temporary "invisible".

That's true. I do think lean has its place, if it's done properly. It's just not essential or anything, unless you're doing a really pedantic shooter like the SWAT series.

Tangentially related, has anyone played any games other than Splinter Cell where you can fine control the opening and closing of doors? It added a lot to that game, I think you held a button to keep hold of the door and used the analog stick to gradually open and close it.

If a horror game used that device then I can imagine it being incredibly scary. Imagine opening a door seeing something horrific through a small gap, and then trying to quietly close without alerting whatever it was on the other side. :ohdear:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Harmonica posted:

That's true. I do think lean has its place, if it's done properly. It's just not essential or anything, unless you're doing a really pedantic shooter like the SWAT series.

Tangentially related, has anyone played any games other than Splinter Cell where you can fine control the opening and closing of doors? It added a lot to that game, I think you held a button to keep hold of the door and used the analog stick to gradually open and close it.

If a horror game used that device then I can imagine it being incredibly scary. Imagine opening a door seeing something horrific through a small gap, and then trying to quietly close without alerting whatever it was on the other side. :ohdear:

The only game I can think of that comes close is I think one of the MGS games where you could either open doors or slam them open. Slamming was loud but if there was a dude by it you could stun him by hitting him with the door.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drox posted:

The only game I can think of that comes close is I think one of the MGS games where you could either open doors or slam them open. Slamming was loud but if there was a dude by it you could stun him by hitting him with the door.

Never played MGS, but you can do this in Splinter Cell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Amnesia does that (as do the earlier Penumbra games by the same devs, IIRC) - doors are physics objects just like anything else, so you grab the doorknob with the mouse and move the mouse to move the door.

I've just been flinging them open with wild abandon. Sooner or later that's going to bite me, but it's not like peeking through is any safer - I might see something.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I have Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum from some kind of giveaway in the past. Does anybody remember when that was? I remember that Jagged Alliance expansion was from when they went out of beta, but I can't remember when I got the Tex Murphy games.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Amnesia does that (as do the earlier Penumbra games by the same devs, IIRC) - doors are physics objects just like anything else, so you grab the doorknob with the mouse and move the mouse to move the door.

I've just been flinging them open with wild abandon. Sooner or later that's going to bite me, but it's not like peeking through is any safer - I might see something.

I don't think there's any part in Amnesia where opening the door quickly makes a difference. Though sometimes you want to CLOSE them rather quickly.

RE4 and 5 gave you control over how quick you'd open doors as well. If you just pressed the button once, you'd push the door open, but if you mashed it a bunch of times, you'd kick it open hard.

Like MGS, if there was a guy on the other side of the door, it would knock him over if you opened it quickly (though since RE4 and 5 aren't exactly stealth games, there really was never much of a reason to open it quietly).

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Momonari kun posted:

I have Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum from some kind of giveaway in the past. Does anybody remember when that was? I remember that Jagged Alliance expansion was from when they went out of beta, but I can't remember when I got the Tex Murphy games.

It was a holiday giveaway from December, 2009.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Cheshire Cat posted:

RE4 and 5 gave you control over how quick you'd open doors as well. If you just pressed the button once, you'd push the door open, but if you mashed it a bunch of times, you'd kick it open hard.

Like MGS, if there was a guy on the other side of the door, it would knock him over if you opened it quickly (though since RE4 and 5 aren't exactly stealth games, there really was never much of a reason to open it quietly).

You enjoy reliving the load-screens on the PSX, and often dream of the one in RE2 where zombies walk through it and threaten to attack you from said loading screen.

PS: RE2 PC and DC pisses me off. The B-side stories ALWAYS crash for me in the police station.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Oh this is interesting. Mine is probably MDK or Icewind Dale though I have piles I haven't even touched yet. :doh:

The Last Express for me by far. Very cool and original game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MrMidnight posted:

The Last Express for me by far. Very cool and original game.

Same here, game is awesome

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Last Express made me hate every single game with an amnesiac protagonist. It taught me that the hero's goals and true nature can be a mystery without soap opera bullshit. Robert is so much more an interesting character for the way we see him actively hiding his identity. (spoiler of three minutes into the game)

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

eXperience112 justifies the amnesiac protagonist plotline. GoG should get all over that game. Highly recommended if you can track it down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Last Express made me hate every single game with an amnesiac protagonist. It taught me that the hero's goals and true nature can be a mystery without soap opera bullshit. Robert is so much more an interesting character for the way we see him actively hiding his identity. (spoiler of three minutes into the game)

Beyond that, it's surprising to learn his motivation wasn't to meet his friend at all, but to reach Jerusalem. He's also an apparent occultist with hypnotic powers and is in pretty good shape. He's like Indiana Jones + Sherlock Holmes combined. It's a shame the obvious sequel they were building up for will never happen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Harmonica posted:

eXperience112 justifies the amnesiac protagonist plotline. GoG should get all over that game. Highly recommended if you can track it down.

I have that game! Great concept, but I keep getting a few hours in (about to the point where she can get out onto the deck) and then I just get overwhelmed with how much stuff there is to explore and keep track of and set it aside for a while.

And then when I come back I've totally forgotten where I am and have to start over.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Harmonica posted:

Amazon.com has this for less than the price GOG would charge for it

I got this a few months ago and it is one of the few adventure games out there that I don't think I'll be able to finish.

I love the concept of it, honestly. Not being able to directly control the character, but interacting with them through security cameras and poo poo I think is a pretty cool idea.

The game fails in execution for a number of reasons though. The writing is pretty flat and two-dimensional. The voice acting is absolutely pathetic, particularly the woman you have to lead around everywhere. I couldn't find a clip of it online, but there's a cutscene about a quarter of the way through the game where she's in a confrontation with one of her colleagues, and while I think she was supposed to sound angry and defensive, she sounded like she was struggling to stay awake.

I was kind of looking forward to it too, because I liked the developers' two previous games (the ARGish In Memoriam(UK)/Missing Since January(US) and its sequel.)

I can think of a ton of adventure games GOG should pick up, but this one ain't it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There was a PS2 game like that, where your game avatar was locked in a panic room in a space station and "controlled" the principal character by talking to her over your headset.

It, uhhh...kinda worked.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

There was a PS2 game like that, where your game avatar was locked in a panic room in a space station and "controlled" the principal character by talking to her over your headset.

It, uhhh...kinda worked.

I love it when developers anticipate that sort of thing.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Doc Hawkins posted:

It, uhhh...kinda worked.

Is that the girl from Californication doing that voice over?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Not according to IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403384/

Doc Hawkins posted:

It, uhhh...kinda worked.

I wonder if we'll see this kind of game done better on Kinect.

It would be cool in the future if you can actually have proper conversations with NPCs and not have them misunderstand.

edit: watching the videos reminds me of playing Rainbow Six on the Xbox. "Stack up." "Roger. Flash and clear." "NO! STOP!"

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 14, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Harmonica posted:

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield on PC had this. You used the mousewheel to eek the door open slowly. You could also hold Alt and move the mouse to change posture fluidly instead of being locked into 2 leans.

s0beit
Sep 23, 2008
I WISH GRANDMA HAD DIED SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO TALK TO LIBERALS
Probably already said but i have no idea in what time frame it occurred but does anyone know what happened to "Republic: The Revolution"?

I was going to try it then next i looked it was removed from GOG..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Believe me, nothing of value was lost when they took it down.